Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
If one believes in the trinity, that's a clear sign that they're deluded and deceived, led astray by a devilish doctrine. A genuine Christian would neither defend nor support the idea of the trinity.

The Holy Spirit is clearly not the Father but He is God, Jesus Christ is neither the Father or yet the Holy Spirit, but we who have received Him know that He is God...call it what you will.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

Not really. You have to concede that Jesus is God, however, or else you'd be worshiping something other than Him.

The only debate in the early centuries was whether there was a Trinity or if God was changing forms (modalism)

achduke

Not really. You have to concede that Jesus is God, however, or else you'd be worshiping something other than Him.

The only debate in the early centuries was whether there was a Trinity or if God was changing forms (modalism)

Or God is inside the temple who is Christ and believers in Christ. God dwells inside of the temple who are built with living stones and Christ is the cornerstone of the temple.

genuineoriginal

If one believes in the trinity, that's a clear sign that they're deluded and deceived, led astray by a devilish doctrine. A genuine Christian would neither defend nor support the idea of the trinity.

That is not true.

The doctrine of the Trinity is used to resolve several troubling passages in scripture, and is based on the knowledge and assumptions made by the genuine Christians that are studying the scripture.

It ultimately does not matter whether doctrine of the Trinity is an accurate portrayal of God or not, since it is a sincere belief held by genuine Christians and belief in the doctrine is not a requirement for salvation.

After all, the scriptures state that we do not comprehend God.

Job 36:26 DARBY
26 Lo, God is great, and we comprehend [him] not, neither can the number of his years be searched out.​

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned

By what notion is the Trinity a 'devilish' doctrine?

The Trinity is actually pretty simple and logical- God manifests as three distinct beings, all whom work as a central, harmonized influence.

genuineoriginal

Do YOU have a son? what is he a rabbit?

Rabbits beget rabbits
men beget men
God begot God

The term Son of God is synonymous with God, for every son is the same essentially as the father.

Many people would argue that God is a reference to a single divine being instead of thinking that God is merely the name of a species of divine beings.

If you notice the way Totton Linnet presented her argument, she is claiming that the Son of God is God in the same way that a son of a rabbit is also a rabbit.

This means she is using the term "God" as if it is the name of a divine species and not as a reference to the one true God.

oatmeal

Christ is the Begotten, the only Begotten...we are begotten again...got it now?

We could only be begotten again because He was Begotten, being begotten again involves dying with His dying, being buried in the burial with which He was buried and being raised to newness of life with the resurrection wherewith He was raised.

Incidently if God were not triune the death, burial and resurrection would be quite impossible.

...these things we have and are.

You are learning.

Good for you.

I present scripture, sometimes you ignore it, this time you did not.

I am happy about that.

II Timothy 3:16 Scripture tells us all we need to know regarding instruction in righteousness.

If a believer wants to know what God's will is for his life, he must to scripture to find out.

genuineoriginal

I was concerned and timid when I got an answer different (OFTEN different means wrong when it comes to logic) than the rest of the Algebra class. You guys are weird).
Lets try some algebra.

g = 1

t = 3

true or false: g = t?

Your answer is "true".

Now what?

IMJerusha

The doctrine of the Trinity is man's way of explaining what he can't. I don't believe it's necessary to hold with this doctrine to be a believer and I don't believe it's a doctrine of HaSatan either unless we warp it into a belief in multiple gods as there is only One. We'll eventually learn the Truth of it. The doctrine was first penned at the First Council of Nicaea and it was Constantine who required belief in it, not God.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The doctrine of the Trinity is man's way of explaining what he can't. I don't believe it's necessary to hold with this doctrine to be a believer and I don't believe it's a doctrine of HaSatan either unless we warp it into a belief in multiple gods as there is only One. We'll eventually learn the Truth of it.
Common sense, to me. And an elegantly stated testimony of belief.

Cruciform

Is the word "Trinity" in the Bible--or is this one of those cases where men "add" to the Word?
Now cite the biblical text which states that "Only terms specifically used in the Bible may be used by believers to articulate their beliefs." Chapter-and-verse, please.

Daniel1611

The doctrine of the Trinity is man's way of explaining what he can't. I don't believe it's necessary to hold with this doctrine to be a believer and I don't believe it's a doctrine of HaSatan either unless we warp it into a belief in multiple gods as there is only One. We'll eventually learn the Truth of it. The doctrine was first penned at the First Council of Nicaea and it was Constantine who required belief in it, not God.

The Trinity is God's way of explaining himself in the Bible.

IMJerusha

The Trinity is God's way of explaining himself in the Bible.

The Father, the Son and the Ruach are certainly right there in Scripture, no doubt about it, but exactly what need does God have to explain Himself to mankind?...and how do you think we can possibly understand the nature of God?

Daniel1611

The Father, the Son and the Ruach are certainly right there in Scripture, no doubt about it, but exactly what need does God have to explain Himself to mankind?

He wants to apparently. Ever read the Bible? God doesn't need anything. He does what he wants.

IMJerusha

He wants to apparently. Ever read the Bible? God doesn't need anything. He does what he wants.

Yes, Daniel, I've read the Scriptures. That doesn't necessarily mean that the doctrine of the Trinity, as arrived at by Constantine and Bishops at the First Council of Nicaea, is God's instruction or revelation to us. And while I do not doubt the faith of Athanasius, he got a bit big for his britches when he wrote that those who would be saved must think of the Trinity as he wrote of it in his creed. God's Word never declared that.

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
If you notice the way Totton Linnet presented her argument, she is claiming that the Son of God is God in the same way that a son of a rabbit is also a rabbit.

This means she is using the term "God" as if it is the name of a divine species and not as a reference to the one true God.

Have you not read that God's divine nature is discovered in the things which He has created?

Christ Himself is Creator God.

Now I am gunna don john w's mantle of humility and I am going to teach you. For you guys are all of you in the same error who deny that Jesus Christ is God.

Keypurr
pierwhacko
Oatmeal
meshackles
Glenda
the Whites

etc etc

Your mind is the opposite of God.

You all suppose that Jesus Christ came to teach us how to be like God, ....God's Exemplar dragging fallen humankind up by their bootstraps, He did no such thing....

Jesus Christ being in the form of God and equal with God humbled Himself and took on Him the form of a servant.....God in the flesh IMPARTING divine life. Not teaching us to be God-like but BIRTHING God IN US by the Holy Ghost.

That seed of Godlife in us will grow of itself, all we need is for it to be planted.

You are of the exact OPPOSITE mind of God, you might like to ponder that. How else would the poor, the weak, the foolish [among who I am most happy to be counted] be saved?

Your way only the shrivelled few, the wise and strong could be saved.

Oh that God DID come PERSONALLY in the flesh to save us...this is a GLORIOUS doctrine.

oatmeal

Have you not read that God's divine nature is discovered in the things which He has created?

Now I am gunna don john w's mantle of humility and I am going to teach you. For you guys are all of you in the same error who deny that Jesus Christ is God.

Keypurr
pierwhacko
Oatmeal
meshackles
Glenda
the Whites

etc etc

You all suppose that Jesus Christ came to teach us how to be like God, ....God's Exemplar dragging fallen humankind up by their bootstraps, He did no such thing....

Jesus Christ being in the form of God and equal with God humbled Himself and took on Him the form of a servant.....God in the flesh IMPARTING divine life. Not teaching us to be God-like but BIRTHING God IN US by the Holy Ghost.

That seed of Godlife in us will grow of itself, all we need is for it to be planted.

You are of the exact OPPOSITE mind of God, you might like to ponder that. How else would the poor, the weak, the foolish [among who I am most happy to be counted] be saved?

Oh that God DID come PERSONALLY in the flesh to save us...this is a GLORIOUS doctrine.

That is what your opinion is.

However, as usual, in contrast to those who believe in one God who has a son, Jesus Christ, you have not provided a single scripture to substantiate your conclusion.

From I Timothy 2:5, Acts 2:22, John 5:30, Philippians 2:8-11, Romans 10:9, I Corinthians 8:6, and many other verses, it is simple to see that

God is God and Jesus Christ is a man who is distinct from God.

God is the God and Father of the lord Jesus Christ who is inferior, derived, and subordinate to the Father.

We believe scripture, as for you, you parrot unscriptural opinions.

I take God's word to be truth. John 17:17

daqq

Keypurr
pierwhacko
Oatmeal
meshackles
Glenda
the Whites

etc etc

Hmmm, I was trying to find the humility in what you have posted but cannot seem to find it. Is this truly your idea of humility or were you kidding? In addition your own words appear to be the very opposite of the mind of Messiah. And who exactly are "the Whites" in your accusation list? Is there a poster here by that name? I dunno, perhaps maybe I do not even really want to know the answer to that one. However, concerning the mind of Messiah, he worshiped and honored the Father in all things whatsoever he did and said while he walked among men in the body of the flesh. It therefore seems to me that it is you who does not have the mind of Messiah because you worship him while he never worshiped himself. How can you have the mind of Messiah when with all of his heart, and with all of his soul, and with all of his mind, and with all of his strength, he worshiped, served, and honored only the Father? It does not appear that you have truly thought out what it means to have the mind of Messiah. The mind of Messiah does not worship himself but rather the Father and only the Father. Perhaps somehow you ended up with the mind of "john w" instead? :)

:sheep: