Denver Bible Buying a Church!

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm willing to talk about what rightly qualifies as infrastructure.Who did it before the government took it over?
I'm quite confident that, if the government got out of the business of the Church and the family 7% would be more than enough.

And what makes you so sure? Just your gut?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
He appears unable to argue against my points.
I did address your point but you obviously missed it. So here it is again.

What are you willing to give up and take over to get your taxes down to 10%? Your choices included: defense spending, anti-terrorism, interstate highway system, law enforcement, courts, air traffic control, social welfare programs, K-12 education, research funding, roads and street construction and maintenance and I am sure there is more. What you will you give up and what will you take over?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I'm willing to talk about what rightly qualifies as infrastructure.
Should be an interesting conversation. I am sure that what one person finds as necessary infrastructure another will see as government excess. I should also point out that privately controlled infrastructure does not guarantee that it will be properly maintained. Take the power grid. Large portions of transmission system are owned by privately held utilities. They are in desperate need of upgrade and they can't do it. The market will not bare the costs required. Simply put, how would you feel if your bill went up by a factor of 2 or 3 to make your electricity more reliable?
Who did it before the government took it over?
Communities. They hired a school marm and sent their kids to a one room school house.
I'm quite confident that, if the government got out of the business of the Church and the family 7% would be more than enough.
You realize that if you upped your giving to take care of the homeless and poor and sick that we might be able to get the government. As a Christian, we should be willing to sell everything to follow Christ. How much of your comforts are you willing to sacrifice to care for those that Jesus commanded us to care for?

Christian Liberty

What are you willing to give up and take over to get your taxes down to 10%? Your choices included: defense spending, anti-terrorism, interstate highway system, law enforcement, courts, air traffic control, social welfare programs, K-12 education, research funding, roads and street construction and maintenance and I am sure there is more. What you will you give up and what will you take over?

The bolded items should have their budgets dramatically lowered (With the exception of defense, 0% at the Federal Level), all other items should be entirely privatized.

As for your questions about roads, if I'm the owner, I can set the rules, if I don't clear the streets in a timely manner, I lose customers and they start using other roads.

The Berean

You're dreaming.

My daughter is a PhD in Genetics. She is working at a large university connected hospital on a project attempting to find cellular markers for a particular type of cancer. It is really more like basic biological research. It may never develop into a treatment or diagnostic tool for cancer, yet it will most likely expand our knowledge of how the cell works. Absent any real potential for $ coming out of the other end of the pipeline, what type of business do you think would fund that? Fund an entire lab---equipment, space, staff etc.

Business looks at the bottom line--and often on a quarterly basis. I repeat--you're dreaming. Although it does appear to be a nice Republican dream

Out of curiosity who funds your daughter's research now? It sounds interesting.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The bolded items should have their budgets dramatically lowered (With the exception of defense, 0% at the Federal Level), all other items should be entirely privatized.

As for your questions about roads, if I'm the owner, I can set the rules, if I don't clear the streets in a timely manner, I lose customers and they start using other roads.

You have got to be kidding.

Jukia

Most roads are owned by the town, state or Federal govt. I suggest that each of those has a duty to clear the roads on behalf of the populace.

Ah privatization, the goal of all good Rethuglicans

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I addressed that. You haven't responded since I did so.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're dreaming.

My daughter is a PhD in Genetics. She is working at a large university connected hospital on a project attempting to find cellular markers for a particular type of cancer. It is really more like basic biological research. It may never develop into a treatment or diagnostic tool for cancer, yet it will most likely expand our knowledge of how the cell works. Absent any real potential for $ coming out of the other end of the pipeline, what type of business do you think would fund that? Fund an entire lab---equipment, space, staff etc.

Business looks at the bottom line--and often on a quarterly basis. I repeat--you're dreaming. Although it does appear to be a nice Republican dream
I'm not a Republican. Do you really think they would have me?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Should be an interesting conversation. I am sure that what one person finds as necessary infrastructure another will see as government excess. I should also point out that privately controlled infrastructure does not guarantee that it will be properly maintained. Take the power grid. Large portions of transmission system are owned by privately held utilities. They are in desperate need of upgrade and they can't do it. The market will not bare the costs required. Simply put, how would you feel if your bill went up by a factor of 2 or 3 to make your electricity more reliable?
Are you making the case that electric companies should not be privatley owned?
Communities. They hired a school marm and sent their kids to a one room school house.
I don't have a problem with that. That is how the Amish around here do it. It seems to work, but I prefer home schooling.
You realize that if you upped your giving to take care of the homeless and poor and sick that we might be able to get the government. As a Christian, we should be willing to sell everything to follow Christ. How much of your comforts are you willing to sacrifice to care for those that Jesus commanded us to care for?
You have no idea what comforts I have given up already.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Are you making the case that electric companies should not be privatley owned?
Many are privately owned. Xcel Energy, Pacific gas & Electric, ComEd, ConEd, Florida Power & Light, Duke Energy. Anybody remember Enron? A large privately held energy company.

I don't have a problem with that. That is how the Amish around here do it. It seems to work, but I prefer home schooling.
I don't. I think home school works for a vast minority of students. I think qualified teachers in all subject areas are incredibly important.

You have no idea what comforts I have given up already.
Doesn't matter. How many more are you willing to give up to get your taxes down to 10% or less? How much more are you willing to sacrifice.

This is not a question that requires and answer. Heaven knows I don't want to answer it, at least publicly.

Christian Liberty

You have got to be kidding.

Nope, I'm really not. You should probably know that from the guy in my avatar;)

I'm quite a hardcore libertarian...

Most roads are owned by the town, state or Federal govt. I suggest that each of those has a duty to clear the roads on behalf of the populace.

The question was about hypothetical privatized roads, not the current ones.

Ah privatization, the goal of all good Rethuglicans

I'm not a Republican. I may join the party for influence in their primaries, but I'm really a libertarian philosophically and a constitutionalist pragmatically. There's nothing Republican about what I believe in, other than their rhetoric.
I'm not a Republican. Do you really think they would have me?

No, probably not. I'm actually curious about the details of your philosophy. What do you think about social policy and foreign policy (I've figured out that you're probably pretty laissez faire on economics)?

Well, you could join the GOP, but you wouldn't be well liked.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You didn't address it. I first asked the question in post 78 and this is only your second reply since that post. You still need to answer my question.
Okay. What services are you willing to go without and what services are you willing to take over?
Maybe because you addressed that to Delmar, and not me. That is why I did not respond.

I was referring to the fact that you did not respond to this:
No duh.

So?

:bang:

My forehead's starting to bleed.

It still wouldn't matter regarding the subject at hand.

Now, as to answer your question, which I swear I answered somewhere else, but apparently not in this thread.

Okay. What services are you willing to go without and what services are you willing to take over?
Give up: Public education. Government welfare. Public defenders and state prosecutors. Government paid judges. Juries.

Those are all I can think of right now. The list of what to take over is a little longer but includes three of the above; one of which should cost no money as it should be an unpaid volunteer position by those who already have jobs, and they should not miss any pay, sort of like when we have jury duty, but their companies should pay that.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Maybe because you addressed that to Delmar, and not me. That is why I did not respond.

I was referring to the fact that you did not respond to this:

Now, as to answer your question, which I swear I answered somewhere else, but apparently not in this thread.

Give up: Public education. Government welfare. Public defenders and state prosecutors. Government paid judges. Juries.

Those are all I can think of right now. The list of what to take over is a little longer but includes three of the above; one of which should cost no money as it should be an unpaid volunteer position by those who already have jobs, and they should not miss any pay, sort of like when we have jury duty, but their companies should pay that.
That is a very small start, probably won't get your taxes anywhere near 10%. What else?

As to the post I didn't respond to, still not going to. Mama says, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

JPPT1974

I an pretty Independent. But would give up a lot. So that others would come to know the Lord. But still, Denver is a pretty way out there place.

As would love to take over stuff like public education, health, welfare, economy, jobs. Just so others can have what they really, really need in these days.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is a very small start, probably won't get your taxes anywhere near 10%. What else?

Clearly you are correct to say that the masses will never be willing to stop taking money from their neighbors to get the services they believe they are entitled to. I will concede that a 10% maximum tax rate will not happen.