Denver Bible Buying a Church!

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
How is it ridiculous? How is that money already there? Or did you mean "theirs"? And if so, how is that much of the money we earn the government's take?

You're arguing from silence, because Jesus gave no number in that story, but you're forgetting one thing; God had already given a number for what was to be given to Him: ten percent.

So, do you think Jesus would ever advocate giving to Caesar more than one gives to God?

Here is what God had to say, through His prophet Samuel:

And he said, “This will be the behavior of the king who will reign over you: He will take your sons and appoint them for his own chariots and to be his horsemen, and some will run before his chariots. He will appoint captains over his thousands and captains over his fifties, will set some to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and some to make his weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers, cooks, and bakers. And he will take the best of your fields, your vineyards, and your olive groves, and give them to his servants. He will take a tenth of your grain and your vintage, and give it to his officers and servants. And he will take your male servants, your female servants, your finest young men, and your donkeys, and put them to his work. He will take a tenth of your sheep. And you will be his servants. And you will cry out in that day because of your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, and the Lord will not hear you in that day.”
-1 Samuel 8:11-18

So, for the government to take even as much as God is tyrannical.
They mint the money and put it into circulation. We use it to facilitate trade. Besides, the government has never asked for all of it. They do require more and more as we continue to surrender our freedoms and God given obligations to them.

Jukia

I think the fear mongering is a bit over the top. The sinle most important factor in our kids success is parental involvement. Schools do not fail our kids, parents fail their kids.

Based on comments from every teacher I know, what you have written is absolutely true.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
They mint the money and put it into circulation. We use it to facilitate trade. Besides, the government has never asked for all of it. They do require more and more as we continue to surrender our freedoms and God given obligations to them.
None of that answers the questions I asked.

Based on comments from every teacher I know, what you have written is absolutely true.
No teacher has ever admitted any fault, so we're supposed to believe they aren't guilty?

Jukia

No teacher has ever admitted any fault, so we're supposed to believe they aren't guilty?

Teachers are human beings, some admit faults some do not. No different than anyone. Some are good teachers, some not so good. Teaching is a hard and important job. You spend your days in front of 25-30 teenagers every day and see how you do.

But you ignored the issue---one that you should be more than willing to agree with---if the parents don't do their job why should they think the teacher can?

And just what is it you accuse teachers of being "guilty" of?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Teachers are human beings, some admit faults some do not. No different than anyone. Some are good teachers, some not so good. Teaching is a hard and important job. You spend your days in front of 25-30 teenagers every day and see how you do.

But you ignored the issue---one that you should be more than willing to agree with---if the parents don't do their job why should they think the teacher can?

And just what is it you accuse teachers of being "guilty" of?
:doh:

One of the biggest arguments people have against home school is that parents aren't trained to educate, whereas public school teachers are. It is simply my argument that teachers aren't any better at it, and usually they are worse; because they are dealing with such a multitude of students and trying to teach every single one of them the exact same way, because that is how they were trained to teach.

And my comment was directed toward someone who stated that all the teachers he had asked blamed the parents.

Jukia

One of the biggest arguments people have against home school is that parents aren't trained to educate, whereas public school teachers are. It is simply my argument that teachers aren't any better at it, and usually they are worse; because they are dealing with such a multitude of students and trying to teach every single one of them the exact same way, because that is how they were trained to teach.

And my comment was directed toward someone who stated that all the teachers he had asked blamed the parents.

Oh yeah, the standard parent is capable of teaching English, a foreign language, social studies, science etc. Really?
And teachers such as my wife with a degree in economics, a masters in Psychology and a masters in curriculum is worse?
The one positive I see with home schooling is that the parents are concerned and involved--many of the problems in schools results from parents not being involved. Although there is clearly a problem with some of the Christian science curriculum in that it is at best inaccurate and simply does not provide correct information. Maybe one of the reasons why your side complains that kids leave the church when they go off to college or otherwise hit the real world---once you have an opportunity to think for yourself the 6 day creation stories become a bit silly and therefore raise issues with the rest of Christian doctrine.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

My daughter is in AP-Math, she is studying calculus this semester. Can you teach calculus?

Granite

Hall of Fame
My daughter is in AP-Math, she is studying calculus this semester. Can you teach calculus?

The idea that any parent can just teach is completely asinine. My folks weren't cut out to teach higher math, or Koine Greek, or music theory. Bless them, they simply weren't, and they knew it, which is why they never insisted on doing us (and themselves) a disservice by either trying to instruct beyond their strengths or just ignoring subjects of interest to their children.

And what of parents who struggle with, say, dyslexia? Or blindness, or deafness, for that matter? That's what kills me about these homeschool absolutists: They never seem to consider actual real world challenges parents face. Ever. Single mom? Well, you'll make it work. Health issues? Whatever, homeschool anyway. Broke? Whatever, God'll provide.

For folks who support (and in many cases have experienced firsthand) an educational model with a very unique set of challenges a lot of these absolutists seem incredibly naive and downright clueless. Homeschooling worked for you? Great. But it's not one size fits all.

I understand supporting and even glorifying homeschooling up to a point, but insisting on it to the detriment of your child's education is ignorant and grotesque.

Jukia

Even most teachers cannot teach calc. My wife teaches 2 AP classes, none are math. She would be clueless, having her teach anything outside of her area of subject expertise is frightening. But apparently the average parent can do it all.

The home schooling attitude is based on fear of the other, fear of the real world and little confidence in the "faith" otherwise proclaimed by many of these people.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Even most teachers cannot teach calc. My wife teaches 2 AP classes, none are math. She would be clueless, having her teach anything outside of her area of subject expertise is frightening. But apparently the average parent can do it all.

The home schooling attitude is based on fear of the other, fear of the real world and little confidence in the "faith" otherwise proclaimed by many of these people.
The new calc book that they are using has a solutions book. She was showing me a solution and she did not understand how they got the solution they did. Since I did happen to study calc in college and use it from time to time, I was able to explain the solution to her. The point is, having a solutions book to go look at is a far cry from understanding the material well enough to explain the answer.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It amazes me the assumptions you opponents make.

Oh yeah, the standard parent is capable of teaching English, a foreign language, social studies, science etc. Really?
Why do you assume they need to be?

And teachers such as my wife with a degree in economics, a masters in Psychology and a masters in curriculum is worse?
They can be.

The one positive I see with home schooling is that the parents are concerned and involved--many of the problems in schools results from parents not being involved. Although there is clearly a problem with some of the Christian science curriculum in that it is at best inaccurate and simply does not provide correct information. Maybe one of the reasons why your side complains that kids leave the church when they go off to college or otherwise hit the real world---once you have an opportunity to think for yourself the 6 day creation stories become a bit silly and therefore raise issues with the rest of Christian doctrine.
:yawn:

Sure it did. Just read it again.
Nope.

I don't need to be able to.

Jukia

It amazes me the assumptions you opponents make.

Which assumption might that be? that if you are teaching something you should have an understanding of the subject matter to begin with? And if you are TEACHING you should have some idea of how to do that.
Fair enough for assumptions?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I'll give you a minute to think about it...
So you are never going to have kids.

Get real. The conversation is general. You may not have kids yet but what if you do? Can you teach them calculus? Or Physics. Or Biology? Or English?

Granite

Hall of Fame

Get real. The conversation is general. You may not have kids yet but what if you do? Can you teach them calculus? Or Physics. Or Biology? Or English?

He could probably walk them around a cash register with the greatest of ease.;)

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

I could.

I am a math teacher who enjoys science (math/science), my wife is a graphic designer/painter/drawer/etc... with a degree in spanish...and she edits manuscripts on the side! (fine arts/language/English).

And on another note...one doesn't have to be the sole educator. There are homeschool co-ops. For example, my brother homeschools and he is a former music teacher and would give music lessons for other homeschooled kids in exchange for other parents who were skilled in a subject to teach his kids.

You know...the whole "village to raise a child" stuff.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I could.

I am a math teacher who enjoys science (math/science), my wife is a graphic designer/painter/drawer/etc... with a degree in spanish...and she edits manuscripts on the side! (fine arts/language/English).

And on another note...one doesn't have to be the sole educator. There are homeschool co-ops. For example, my brother homeschools and he is a former music teacher and would give music lessons for other homeschooled kids in exchange for other parents who were skilled in a subject to teach his kids.

I would hazard to guess that you and your wife are exceptional. But, take your case: You are a teacher and you would have had some formal schedule that you needed to stick to in order to teach. Everybody is going to need a source of income while they are raising their children so how do you reconcile that with finding time to teach your own kids math?

I have always wondered, when does a coop cross the line from coop to school?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Which assumption might that be?
chatmaggot answered this question.

that if you are teaching something you should have an understanding of the subject matter to begin with? And if you are TEACHING you should have some idea of how to do that.
Fair enough for assumptions?
Nope. The assumption you made was that home school meant that only the parents are involved in teaching the children.

Also, that children are incapable of teaching themselves.

To add an addendum to chatmaggot's post, there are also computer programs and the internet for the subjects one can't teach.

I was also speaking in generalities, nitwit.

Are you so shortsighted and small minded because you went to public school; I'm assuming so.

I don't need to be able to teach my children those things because I will not be their only teacher, and neither shall their mother be.

There are plenty of resources out there for those who need them, and everyone needs them, no matter how well educated they may be.

I could.

:thumb:

Thank you.

I have always wondered, when does a coop cross the line from coop to school?
If it's a home school co-op then it's a school from the start. Do you honestly think that matters?