Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Evolutionists need to learn that an alternative idea does not necessarily rely upon the concepts they have built for themselves.

That can be a problem. I guess they have trouble thinking outside the box.

Diversity is bad for the overall information content. If you have a book and copy it a thousand times and then have many people continue to make copies of the copies, the descendants are only ever going to diminish in their ability to inform us of the contents of the original book.

If you can show that a copy is a closer descendant of the original, it will, generally speaking, be a more accurate copy.

I guess that's why breeding populations of feral dogs tend to produce dingoes rather than wolves.

Diversity does not generate integrity. Only good design can do that.

I think we're just looking at the same thing from different angles. Diversity is what we see today, and I was talking about the genetic potential to achieve that amongst the original created kinds.

gcthomas

If you have a book and copy it a thousand times and then have many people continue to make copies of the copies, the descendants are only ever going to diminish in their ability to inform us of the contents of the original book.

Funny, I have copied an ebook file loads of times, and it has never developed errors. No copy fade, nothing!

That's the power of digital transmission with error correction, I suppose, just like Mr Shannon said.

Hey! Isn't DNA a digital code with error correcton?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That can be a problem. I guess they have trouble thinking.
I fixed that for you. :)

I guess that's why breeding populations of feral dogs tend to produce dingoes rather than wolves.
I guess a population of dogs (though not one as diverse as we have now) could emerge from the wolf population that exists, but there would be very little diversification possible among a dingo population.

For the evolutionists, that is called a prediction. :up:

I think we're just looking at the same thing from different angles.
Again!? :IA:

:chuckle:

Diversity is what we see today, and I was talking about the genetic potential to achieve that amongst the original created kinds.
Right. And I call your "genetic potential," which might be a better way to describe it, "genetic integrity."

:thumb:

Daedalean's_Sun

Moving from unreasonable demands to straw men, are we?

It would be a strawman if I was claiming that your argument was predicated on the non-existence of half-stars, which I am not. Rather this is an analogy. An analogy that you yourself drew, and I merely expanded upon.

Furthermore I don't think that it is at all "unreasonable" that if someone were to claim that some case were true, that they be able to distinguish it from its inverse. I can scarcely think of a more reasonable expectation in debate.

Daedalean's_Sun

Originally Posted by Daedalean's_Sun
Recall if you will, that you have made the statement that the fossil record represents life "whole and complete" as creation science presupposes, yes?

That's not what I said. I said God created man and all the animals whole and complete.

I'm afraid I don't see the distinction. Was life rendered not "whole and complete" upon fossilization?

The fossil record shows sudden appearance and stasis. Stasis is species showing little if any change. That's what one would expect it Genesis is correct.

Before we get into the apparent appearences (plural) and stases (plural) in the fossil record I would like to get at the heart of my contention over the completeness or incompleteness of Life in the fossil record.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be a strawman if I was claiming that your argument was predicated on the non-existence of half-stars, which I am not.

Moving from straw men to non-sequiturs now, are you?

Your unreasonable demand was that we describe an incomplete life form. Your straw man was imply that Dave's argument used the absence of half-lifeforms as the validation of his postulate. And now you are saying something so vague it is impossible to rationally connect to the conversation.

Furthermore I don't think that it is at all "unreasonable" that if someone were to claim that some case were true, that they be able to distinguish it from its inverse. I can scarcely think of a more reasonable expectation in debate.
The inverse of "the fossil record shows complete organisms" is not, "show us half-organisms." It would be "show us gradation between kinds."

Like I said, you were asking us to talk about a nonsense idea -- your demand was unreasonable.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm afraid I don't see the distinction. Was life rendered not "whole and complete" upon fossilization? Before we get into the apparent appearences (plural) and stases (plural) in the fossil record I would like to get at the heart of my contention over the completeness or incompleteness of Life in the fossil record.

You need to start talking sense. There is no such thing as "incomplete" life or "half" an organism. That is something you invented to confuse the conversation.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Stripe,

Great job, dude! I think you hit the nail on the head. I see now why you have so many stars. You've been here a long time, I see. For years!! How do you get a star?? Why are they different colors. How do you get rid of those neg rep pts (red bars) when we quit having bad rep pts. here on TOL. I thought we did. I don't have any and hope that I don't get any. Well, to say the least, I am PROUD of You!!

In God's Love and Word (Jesus),

Michael

Daedalean's_Sun

Moving from straw men to non-sequiturs now, are you?

No, as there was never a strawman to begin with. See previous response:

It would be a strawman if I was claiming that your argument was predicated on the non-existence of half-stars, which I am not. Rather this is an analogy. An analogy that you yourself drew, and I merely expanded upon.

Kindly understand the meaning of the terms you are using.

Your unreasonable demand was that we describe an incomplete life form.

There is no "we" here. I was speaking to Dave, not you. My insistence was that he (not you) be able to distinguish complete life from incomplete life per his argument. If he is unable to contrast complete life from incomplete life, then how can he attribute anything except "Whole and complete" life to an evolutionary model? Certainly evolution does not predict partial or incomplete life anymore than Creationism does. The concept of partial life, as you yourself have admitted, is complete nonsense.

Your straw man was imply that Dave's argument used the absence of half-lifeforms as the validation of his postulate.

Half-lifeforms or incomplete life. That was my understanding of his argument, and if he meant something else, then I would like him (not you) to explain what he really meant, thus the reason I queried of him "Do you suppose Evolution predicts incomplete or partial lifeforms?".

The inverse of "the fossil record shows complete organisms" is not, "show us half-organisms." It would be "show us gradation between kinds."

No, it's not. Incomplete is definitional inverse of complete.

Like I said, you were asking us to talk about a nonsense idea -- your demand was unreasonable.

Of course it's a nonsense idea, that is precisely the point. Evolution predicts "whole and complete" organisms just as much as Creation does. Why then should the discovery of "whole and complete" organisms in the fossil record be surprising to anyone?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The clue is in the name Second Law of Thermodynamics is that it is to do with heat, not information. The SLoT does not apply generally to information theory. There is no equivalent, in thermodynamics, of Shannon's Noisy Channel Theorem: thermodynamics can be considered a sub-class of information theory, but laws of thermodynamics do not propogate upwards to all information theory applications.

Then why do you keep conflating them and assume that laws of thermodynamics apply to information?

You have that completely reversed: I've been telling you that you are equivocating for weeks over the term entropy, but you keep bringing it up.

.. because of being heated above its melting point so average kinetic energy of the particles approach or exceed the bond energies.

.. because of the temperature difference between it and its surroundings, along with gravity and the expansion of gases as they are heated, sets up a convection current which carries away hot air.

Nope. That Law is not about a process that can get thigs done, but it places restrictions on changes in state variables.

The second Law is inappropriate for describing the causes of events, so I wouldn't use that term in the situations you set up.
So do you disagree with Prof. Lambert when he says, "the following are all examples of the second law: hot pans cool; water spontaneously flows down Niagara Falls; the air in our tires will blow out to the atmosphere if the tire walls are punctured; when gasoline is mixed with air in a car's cylinders, it explodes if a spark is introduced; a speeding car that hits a brick wall doesn't passively stop. There is a loud crash as the car's metal is bent and plastic and glass broken and the bricks (slightly warmed) fly all over area. Cream put in coffee doesn’t stay by itself but instead spreads throughout the coffee."?

Yorzhik said:
I can, with 100% accuracy predict that GCT will not provide us with a better word to use because of 2 things. The first is what I already pointed out; that CDists never like things to be clear. The second is that there is not better term.
You equivocate endlessly, so are you ready to answer MY questions, for the avoidance of you appearing to muddy the water again?

1. Do you agree with Shannon's Noisy Channel Coding Theorem (Shannon's Theorem) that communication can be managed with arbitrarily small data losses, unlike thermodynamic systems and their entropy rises?
  2. Are you aware that most mutations don't increase the information entropy, since information entropy is simply a measure of how much information is needed for coding and not a measure of meaning or usefulness?
Wow... I didn't realize you would confirm my predictions so well. You just ignored what I said completely!

Anyway, to answer your questions: Shannon says that noise enters at the transmission phase of communication. There is a lot of communication that takes place in the cell, most importantly from one generation to the next.

If it were true that mutations don't increase information entropy, then any noise entering a message would not increase information entropy. This is what prompted Weaver to say:
It is generally true that when there is noise, the received signal is exhibits greater information--or better, the received signal is selected out of a more varied set than is the transmitted signal. This is a situation which beautifully illustrates the semantic trap into which one can fall if he does not remember that information is used here with a special meaning that measures freedom of choice and hence uncertainty as to what choice has been made. It is therefore possible for the word information to have either good or bad connotations. Uncertainty which arises by virtue of freedom of choice on the part of the sender is desirable uncertainty. Uncertainty which arises because of errors or because of the influence of noise is undesirable uncertainty.

It is thus clear where the joker is in saying that the received signal has more information. Some of this information is spurious and undesirable and has been introduced via the noise. To get the useful information in the received signal we must subtract out this spurious portion.

And now for the questions you didn't answer: Are you saying that mutations don't happen, or if they do happen that they aren't entering at the transmission phase? Which is it?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But you were quoting me about what I was saying. And you clearly knew I was not using the mutational load as interchangeable with entropy, in fact I actively disagreed with you whenever you tried to do that. So to call it an "admission" by me is a lie because whatever you may think of the subject clearly was not the same as what I thought or said and you knew that.
Just because you claim mutational load and entropy have nothing to do with each other, doesn't make it true.

Oh great now we are using dumbed down videos made for laymen as evidence of what physics predicts rather than... I don't know.... using actual physics to predict things?
The point is that even smart people from MIT will use entropy as a measure of disorder. Being such a pedant about the definition of "entropy" and "informational entropy" is just the never ending tactic of CDists to never have a clear conversation.

Are fridges subject to entropy?
Everything material is subject to entropy. Even the DNA as it is transferred to the next generation. This results not only in greater entropy according to the second law, but greater informational entropy because mutations have entered the communication as noise.

No it doesn't, I should know since I wrote it.
You think mutational load is not caused by noise entering the system as information is transferred from one generation to the next? I don't think you are so illogical.

And I told you then and now that mutational load and entropy are not the same thing and that "It doesn't mean you can substitute mutation load and entropy where ever you find it whenever you want to". Yet you keep doing it with my own statements even.
Because of what you say next:

Yorzhik said:
So the obvious next question would be, since you agree that mutations occur from one generation to the next, what causes those mutations fundamentally? If mutations aren't a state of entropy, then what is it?
They are just changes, they occur for a number of reasons via a number of physical processes. Is motion a state of gravity? The question is just as well formed.
Yes, I said they are changes. Fundamentally what causes mutations? Fundamentally, wouldn't it be the Second Law?

doloresistere

Yes, I said they are changes. Fundamentally what causes mutations? Fundamentally, wouldn't it be the Second Law?.......Yorz

Cells have not evolved the capacity to replicate DNA without errors. It isnt the 2nd law of thermo.

6days

I know what mutational load is now. Populations with high mutational loads are more in danger of going extinct.
Like humans... Our genome has a couple hundred additional mutations added to our genome with each successive generation. One geneticist labelled it the human time bomb with a long fuse.

Tyrathca

Just because you claim mutational load and entropy have nothing to do with each other, doesn't make it true.
and just because you say they are the same thing does not make it true. And given you were quoting me for what I think and am "admitting" then what I say and think is what matters.

The point is that even smart people from MIT will use entropy as a measure of disorder. Being such a pedant about the definition of "entropy" and "informational entropy" is just the never ending tactic of CDists to never have a clear conversation.
no, smart people from MIT will use entropy to measure entropy. They use disorder to explain it crudely to laymen and perhaps early students.

Everything material is subject to entropy. Even the DNA as it is transferred to the next generation. This results not only in greater entropy according to the second law, but greater informational entropy because mutations have entered the communication as noise.
So is the entropy of a fridge (not including its surrounding environment) increasing, decreasing our staying the same after it is turned on?

Yes, I said they are changes. Fundamentally what causes mutations? Fundamentally, wouldn't it be the Second Law?
fundamentally entropy causes nothing, it is a measure of what occurs due to the interaction of various forces but it is not a force of its own. Gravity causes things, magnetism causes things, the strong nuclear force causes things. But entropy doors not, it is an unavoidable emergent property from the interaction of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.