Canada to initiate Project Soylent

quip

BANNED
Banned
So please, point out my error.

ok.

GJ: Who should be allowed to kill himself?
AB: Terminally ill people.
GJ: Because of their pain or their limited time left? - From this we can infer that your definition of a terminally ill individual (like Art's) is one where said individual endures both pain and has limited time left to live.

AB: Both

GJ: Then if either of those aspects is missing, they do not have the right to suicide? You've just spun yourself out of your own inferred definition (see above).

Moreover, show me a terminally ill person that's not in pain.
:idunno:

AB: Yes

GJ: Then a man who will die in a few months, but is not in pain, and a man who is in constant pain, but has years to live, should both not be allowed to kill themselves, right? :think:

AB: No.

GJ: That is inconsistent.
No, that's a classic straw-man construction, on your behalf.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... we can infer that your definition of a terminally ill individual (like Art's) is one where said individual endures both pain and has limited time left to live....

well, no

and since the rest of your post is built on this flawed premise, it falls

quip

BANNED
Banned
the part where he doesn't use "and"

:chuckle:

That's the beginning of jester's dog-n-pony show:

Follow the conversation doser.

GJ: Because of their pain or their limited time left?
Jester just reiterated/defined/finely-tuned AB's statement regarding terminally ill people. :duh:

ok doser

ok - let's unpack it

and what aspect/quality of terminally ill people puts them in a unique position of being allowed to kill themselves?

Is it:

A. Their pain?
or
B. Their limited time left?
or
C. other?

if i write it this way, it's apparent to me that these aren't necessary attributes of being terminally ill, especially when we consider that earlier in the conversation we had agreed that all of us are terminally ill (and thus the "limited time" aspect disappears)

and it hadn't been covered, but I've worked with many terminally ill patients who were not in pain

and so, not a redefinition of artie's term

quip

BANNED
Banned
ok - let's unpack it

and what aspect/quality of terminally ill people puts them in a unique position of being allowed to kill themselves?

Is it:

A. Their pain?
or
B. Their limited time left?
or
C. other?

There is no C...inferred or otherwise.

Good try though.

ok doser

There is no C...inferred or otherwise.

Good try though.

there are no other attributes of a terminally ill person?

i've already demonstrated that neither A nor B are necessary attributes

surely there must be some other attribute that defines a terminally ill person

perhaps...

C. suffering from an incurable disease state

ok doser

in fact:

Terminal illness is a disease that cannot be cured or adequately treated and that is reasonably expected to result in the death of the patient within a short period of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_illness

nothing in there about pain

and "short period of time" is subjective - does that mean five minutes? five days? five years?

quip

BANNED
Banned
there are no other attributes of a terminally ill person?

i've already demonstrated that neither A not B are necessary attributes

surely there must be some other attribute that definies a terminally ill person

No, both are indeed necessary conditions though when artfully separated, neither are - alone - sufficient conditions. (learn the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions) The convenient parsing of the two is how jester's smoke and mirrors works.

Righties are quite dense.

perhaps...

C. suffering from an incurable disease state

Superfluous.

ok doser

Is that it? :idunno:

well, i'd say so, unless you want to continue with this:

"From this we can infer that your definition of a terminally ill individual (like Art's) is one where said individual endures both pain and has limited time left to live."

you're the one making the poor inference :idunno:

quip

BANNED
Banned
as i've said, i have personal experience working with terminally ill patients who are not in pain

:idunno: Drop the pain assertion if you want...jester wasn't making an argument that people in pain shouldn't be allowed suicide, while his parsing tactic won't work without it.

Irrelevant.

ok doser

but we go through these exercises all the time - how just asking GJ if your assumption about his inference is correct?

quip

BANNED
Banned
well, i'd say so, unless you want to continue with this:

"From this we can infer that your definition of a terminally ill individual (like Art's) is one where said individual endures both pain and has limited time left to live."

you're the one making the poor inference :idunno:

You can argue definitions all day....but those where the terms jester was using and subsequently split.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
For some reason the word 'soylent' sounds offensive to me. I don't know why :chuckle:

I've always assumed 'soylent' as brandless, plain food engineered to have perfect nutrition. The goop in 'The Matrix', or the 'food in a tube' in space fictions.