Can a Roman Catholic be a Christian?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Catholics are not trusting in the work of Christ to save them. They are trusting in their own works.
With all due respect to you, Robert, your statement above is completely false. Peace.

Yes, it is false. The sad part is, a simple read of the Catechism of the Catholic Church would have shown him he is wrong. But Pate is not interested in facts.

That post earns you an indulgence -
Or at least a hearty "Thanks". :)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The worship of Mary among the RCC is no secret from the entire world, as is the statues and other religious paraphernalia in their "holy" places.

The RCC is a continuation of the spirit of Jereboam who appointed his own priesthood and prevented the people leaving his kingdom to enter the true worship at Jerusalem.

I am sorry that so many of the RCC will burn in hell, who lead people astray as Ahab and Jezebell did --

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Just the confessional and the forbidding of marriage should make it so obvious that the RCC is a fake church.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Christians ought remind others of these things--

1Ti 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

LA

Ac28

Can a roman catholic be a Christian?

Only if they do it in spite of the Romish church doctrine

Last edited:

Bard_the_Bowman

The worship of Mary among the RCC is no secret from the entire world, as is the statues and other religious paraphernalia in their "holy" places.

How exactly to Catholics worship Mary? What does that look like?

By the way, you are aware that ancient Israel had statues and other religious paraphernalia in their "holy" places and it was commanded to be so from God Himself, right?

The RCC is a continuation of the spirit of Jereboam who appointed his own priesthood and prevented the people leaving his kingdom to enter the true worship at Jerusalem.

With all due respect to you, that is ridiculous. Do you honestly believe that anyone in the Catholic Church has the power to prevent someone from leaving it?

They simply do not.

Anyone can leave the Church whenever they want to. As a matter of fact, some denominations are made up of a majority of ex-Catholics. I haven't looked into it personally but I have heard it said that if it were a denomination, the 2nd largest Christian denomination would be the group of ex-Catholics. Not sure if that is true or not but it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

I am sorry that so many of the RCC will burn in hell, who lead people astray as Ahab and Jezebell did --

I am sorry that anyone will experience hell. I suppose some Catholics may, some may not. Some Lutherans may, some may not. Some Baptists may, some may not. Some non-denom Christians may, some may not.

I would be careful about saying "many" of any group will.

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

That references the Catholic Church? I'm not sure I'd agree with that interpretation.

Just the confessional and the forbidding of marriage should make it so obvious that the RCC is a fake church.

Confession is biblical. It comes from John 20.

You are confused. The Catholic Church doesn't forbid anyone from getting married. I am assuming you are referring to priestly celibacy. Anyone who is Catholic can get married if they wish. Some choose to. Some choose not to. Some deliberately choose not to and enter the priesthood. And they do that of their own free will knowing that they are choosing a celibate life. They are simply taking Paul's words seriously from 1 Corinthians 7:32-33 and elsewhere.

But nobody forbids them from choosing to get married instead.

Since you are mistaken on both points...I would say, then, that the Catholic Church is not a so-called "fake" Church.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

More likely Paul is here referencing some forms of Gnosticism that taught that for anyone to marry was evil for matter itself is evil and only the spiritual is good.

Christians ought remind others of these things--

1Ti 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

Agreed. Amen.

LA[/QUOTE]

Peace.

Ac28

Hey Ac28,

What does a person have to do to be a Christian?

Peace.
Believe that that the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ was 100% sufficient to pay for all of your sins - with nothing else included, like baptism, confessing your sins to a priest, or embracing the teachings of the catholic church

Ac28

Hey Ac28,

What does a person have to do to be a Christian?

Peace.
Believe that that the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ was 100% sufficient to pay for all of your sins - with nothing else included, like baptism, confessing your sins to a priest, participating in any other sacraments, or embracing the teachings of the catholic church.

The catholic church is a detriment to salvation and not a valid way to salvation.

Bard_the_Bowman

Believe that that the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ was 100% sufficient to pay for all of your sins

Catholics believe that. Just as you have written it. :thumb:

- with nothing else included, like baptism, confessing your sins to a priest, or embracing the teachings of the catholic church

Does the Bible say that somewhere?

Please let me know if it does because I haven't seen it. Since I haven't found it, I currently am in the position of believing that your statement above is a man-made tradition.

The idea that there is "nothing else included" appears to me to be you simply embracing the teachings of whatever church it is that you attend. And yet you seem to have a problem with somebody else embracing the teachings of a church they attend.

Where does the Bible say we need to believe "with nothing else included"? Just curious.

Jesus said: "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."(Mark 16:16)

James wrote: "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed." (James 5:16)

Jesus said: "He who hears you hears Me, he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me.” (Luke 10:16)

Jesus said: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you..."

That is just scratching the surface but baptism, confession, and obedience to the Church Jesus founded are all quite biblical.

Peace.

Ac28

Catholics believe that. Just as you have written it. :thumb:

Does the Bible say that somewhere?

Please let me know if it does because I haven't seen it. Since I haven't found it, I currently am in the position of believing that your statement above is a man-made tradition.

The idea that there is "nothing else included" appears to me to be you simply embracing the teachings of whatever church it is that you attend. And yet you seem to have a problem with somebody else embracing the teachings of a church they attend.

Where does the Bible say we need to believe "with nothing else included"? Just curious.

Jesus said: "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."(Mark 16:16)

James wrote: "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed." (James 5:16)

Jesus said: "He who hears you hears Me, he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me.” (Luke 10:16)

Jesus said: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you..."

That is just scratching the surface but baptism, confession, and obedience to the Church Jesus founded are all quite biblical.

Peace.
Every instance of the word "church" (ekklesia) in the Bible MUST be replaced with the word "assembly" or "congregation" if one really wants to know the meaning of the word. ALL the "churches" on the earth are non-Biblical, but especially the catholic church. Offhand, I can't think of any part of the catholic doctrine that is Biblical.

I have believed in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ for 30+ years. I believe that, though His death, He has paid for the sins of the world, past, present, and future. I believe Jesus Christ is God in the person of the trinity, as the Son of God. He is the creator of all. I have never doubted these things. I fell that I have total faith in these things.

However, if I have never been baptized (I fully believe it was only for Israel) and have never taken the eucharist or the Lord's supper (here again, belongs to Israel), am I saved?

Last edited: