"But it doesn't work"

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
OK Doser, Prohibition accomplished nothing but enabling mobsters like Al Capone and others to make a fortune .

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
OK Doser, Prohibition accomplished nothing but enabling mobsters like Al Capone and others to make a fortune .

...alcohol consumption declined dramatically during Prohibition. Cirrhosis death rates for men were 29.5 per 100,000 in 1911 and 10.7 in 1929. Admissions to state mental hospitals for alcoholic psychosis declined from 10.1 per 100,000 in 1919 to 4.7 in 1928.
Arrests for public drunkennness and disorderly conduct declined 50 percent between 1916 and 1922. For the population as a whole, the best estimates are that consumption of alcohol declined by 30 percent to 50 percent.

Saxon Hammer

What ails them is a spiritually empty life.

Quite possibly - however is that their fault? Or ours?

I have to admit, calling someone a Libertarian is pretty low isn't it?
Respect!

It is not the label - it is the 'stamping' of me with it - name calling. The glue does not stick any more.

I do not know what a Libertarian is as a person only as a collection of other words from dictionaries and worded and verbal contexts. This is never a good way to think of a person IMHO.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
OK Doser , so you think it would be a good idea to make alcoholic beverages illegal again ? Well you're dead wrong .

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

It seems to be his idea of a successful plan. Unless he thinks a small decrease in alcohol consumption makes up for widespread disrespect for the law, and the rise of large organized crime syndicates.

Maybe that's it. Hard to say. But I don't think either of those makes any sense.

BoyStan

If so, Prohibition was a booming success.

But deterrence is a function of the law. It's why we don't have prohibition. You see, laws that don't deter, almost always make things worse.

Yes, things are getting more worser everyday because there is very little deterrence in the law and sentences handed down by courts.

Even our spoken and written English is getting more worser!

ok doser

Too bad for them, then. Didn't work.

as you learned, it did work

...alcohol consumption declined dramatically during Prohibition. Cirrhosis death rates for men were 29.5 per 100,000 in 1911 and 10.7 in 1929. Admissions to state mental hospitals for alcoholic psychosis declined from 10.1 per 100,000 in 1919 to 4.7 in 1928.
Arrests for public drunkennness and disorderly conduct declined 50 percent between 1916 and 1922. For the population as a whole, the best estimates are that consumption of alcohol declined by 30 percent to 50 percent.

ok doser

If you think causing widespread disrespect for the law,and the rise of organized crime was a good thing.

if you think i'm saying that causing widespread disrespect for the law,and the rise of organized crime was a good thing, then you're more retarded than everybody thinks you are

better toddle off barbie and eat some more paste :wave2:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
if you think i'm saying that causing widespread disrespect for the law,and the rise of organized crime was a good thing,

That's what you said was a good thing. As you now realize, that's what prohibition did. Have you changed your mind?

then you're more retarded than everybody thinks you are

You seem to reflexively say "retarded" whenever you're embarrassed.

better toddle off barbie and eat some more paste

Well done, Sod. Arthur is wrong; you are constantly entertaining.

Saxon Hammer

I have heard the whole 'system' described as 'arbitrary' which lead to statements like 'well if he had 'nooky' in the morning he might let you off' or 'if he is trying to met his quota' or 'KPI is the only thing they are worried about'

It is the lack of discipline of the individuals in the system as a whole that causes that 'But it doesn't work' cry.
There is also the belief that the system will 'respond' correctly and can be trusted to take care of those that need help.
Finally - when we pull on on thread of the world around us the rest of the world STILL remains attached. So when we talk about 'prohibition' referring to alcohol we must NOT ignore the REST of the world at that time.