ECT Building your understanding of God's word

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I don't bother with commentaries. I have the assertion of 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that Scripture is all I need.

That, and the basic question who, what, when, where, why, and how in light of scope and context as determined by the Word itself if I'll but approach it in faith. In other words; believing in actual practice, that 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is true.

Matthew 4:

3. And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2 Corinthians 4:

13. We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
14. Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.

Its taken me longer to get to know its terrain; but learn it well it has taught me, and continues to.

Whereas the commentaries of men are too much of "perhaps this, maybe that..." when they mention some difficulty, that is.

For, often they ignore them.

Why?

Because they study "the Word" supposedly.

In other words, in one another's commentaries!
Stay with scripture.

Some commentaries might help answer a question if you have one. But even then, we need to read the texts of scripture without relying on others to tell us what they say. That is why it is good to have a good teacher. If you have personal Bible study it makes sense that you would read expectantly and not deviate from what the Spirit of God makes plain to you.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Well it wasn't written in English... all English translations are some committees best guess as to what the Greek and Hebrew meant.

Your problem is one of unbelief that there "is":

Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Psalms 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Your unbelief is YOUR problem not mine.

HisServant

Your problem is one of unbelief that there "is":

Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Psalms 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Your unbelief is YOUR problem not mine.

unbelief in what?... I absolutely believe the scriptures are inspired by God... but they were not inspired in English.

If you believe that an English translation is inspired... you are beyond stupid.

HisServant

All the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts that are out there that have survived for 200 years with 99+% accuracy... its quite amazing.

heir

TOL Subscriber
All the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts that are out there that have survived for 200 years with 99+% accuracy... its quite amazing.
there's your unbelief.

unbelief in what?... I absolutely believe the scriptures are inspired by God... but they were not inspired in English.

You don't believe we have it all!

HisServant

there's your unbelief.

You don't believe we have it all!

I absolutely do.

Your problem is you believe in something that God never promised.

Show me where God inspired a table of contents of the Bible.

achduke

1 John 2:
19. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

If what people assert this unction is, is correct; how was it John's readers knew not those who went from them were not of them until they went from them?

20. But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
21. I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

What "unction" or "anointing" is that? The "truth" that Jesus is the Christ.

22. Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
23. Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
24. Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
25. And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
26. These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
28. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
29. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

These things have I written unto you concerning them that [would attempt to] seduce you.

But, as you well know, that the anointing - the teaching; the word - which you have received from him - which ye have heard from Him - abides in you, and as a result, you do not need that anyone teach you to abide in him.

That is straight out of John 8:

27. They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.
28. Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
29. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
30. As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32. And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

The truth of this teaching which you have received from him itself teaches you that he abides in you, this is true; it is not a lie, and this fact should teach you to abide in him.

Someone else greatly misunderstood as to this in his own application of same is the Apostle Paul in Romans 1:

11. For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
12. That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

In his case, there, he relates that this "spiritual gift" had the ability to establish them in the same faith that Paul had in common with them.

And what this "spiritual gift" was, in that case, Paul's writing unto them.

Absent of his having been able to have been there to preach these aspects of the gospel of Christ to them in person; that he might have some fruit among them as to this truths as he had had among other Gentiles, he sends this "spiritual gift" to them in the form of this letter to them, instead.

11. For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
12. That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
13. Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

And off he goes into the sixteen glorious chapters this "spiritual gift" was....

14. I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
15. So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
16. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every
one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

And so on...

Note how the end Romans is very similar to what John asserted as to why he had written unto his readers - Romans 15:

13. Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
14. And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.
15. Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God,
16. That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

Later, just before sending this amazing document to them; he once more makes mention of this "spiritual gift" and its "power" not only "unto salvation to every one that believeth," Rom. 1:16, but its equal power as follows also - Romans 16:

25. Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world
began,
26. But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
27. To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

This is the sense of the "anointing" that John has in mind - the gospel of God concerning His Son - the gospel of Christ - the word of Christ itself; be it theirs [the Prophesied Grace of Hebrews thru Revelation] or ours [that Mystery Grace of Romans thru Philemon].

Hi Danoh,

This is to hard for me to answer from a cell phone. Can you just quote Scripture and just leave the portion you want to ask the question.

Danoh

Hi Danoh,

This is to hard for me to answer from a cell phone. Can you just quote Scripture and just leave the portion you want to ask the question.

I had no question. Mine was the answer that the unction that 1 John 2:20 refers to is the word that had been preached to them.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I was taught to look up key words Greek/Hebrew in dictionaries. To read at least three commentaries on the scripture one is studying. I would also add live the Word.

Our Brad is a man of few words but such gems, he says "live it"

One really big help to me is to know that the bible never disagrees with itself in doctrine, so if you read something which would appear to contradict some other doctrine, you have to set about reconciling it. This is a good way to learn i.e. comparing scripture with scripture.

Bradley D

Why? Do you read or speak Greek and Hebrew? Why? They could be wrong. You can't "do" it.

When does believing that which is written, come in?

No, I do not speak Greek or Hebrew. I use Strong's, TDNT, and the TWOT. I find these very helpful. I do not agree with all interpretations of the commentaries. But they are written by educated theologians and are useful. They have some good interpretations. No one can live the Word perfectly, but I believe I am to try. The Holy Spirit is within to help.

Danoh

Our Brad is a man of few words but such gems, he says "live it"

One really big help to me is to know that the bible never disagrees with itself in doctrine, so if you read something which would appear to contradict some other doctrine, you have to set about reconciling it. This is a good way to learn i.e. comparing scripture with scripture.

As most commentaries consistently show within their recurrent pattern; men are much more likely to "reconcile" such passages via reasoning them into being a reference to a same subject than they are to via those passages that actually go together.

Its a thing about Scripture that the best of minds often miss - that the way to reconciling the various passages is to keep going further and further back from them to their originating setting, scope and context until the accumulation of all those passages together shed their intended light.

That is not the way of commentaries writers. Theirs is the study of commentaries they then end up parroting in their own "commentaries" all the way, not to and through the Scripture all the way back, rather; all the way to their own traditions.

I'm reminded of a "Pastor" who once asked me what he might read in preparation for study he was going to do on 1 Corinthians.

When I replied 'read Romans some fifty times, followed by 1 Corinthians about a dozen times - to start with,' he replied "no, I meant a good book about..."

I guess 1 Timothy 3:16-17 was not in his Bible.

Fact is, these supposed "learned men" are learned in each others ideas.

The Bible is not like other Academia one goes to school for, rather; the Bible itself is its own school.

I'm glad my own time in college was in everything but "the Bible."

"The Bible" is what "the Bible" is for!

Isaiah 29:

9. Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
10. For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
11. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
12. And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
13. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is
taught by the precept of men:

14. Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

And when He showed up to proceed to do that marvellous work, He too had had to point them away from their traditions "about" His Word...

John 5:

39. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Colossians 3:

16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Of course, this view will be at odds with those who long ago set about to learn "about" the Word through the commentaries of men and their endless "we can't/don't know... perhaps this..." that, the other...

Interplanner

Danoh wrote:
When I replied 'read Romans some fifty times, followed by 1 Corinthians about a dozen times - to start with,' he replied "no, I meant a good book about..."

I don't believe you. You told him to read Bram.

Why would a pastor ask you what to read when he's a pastor?

Danoh

Danoh wrote:

I don't believe you. You told him to read Bram.

Why would a pastor ask you what to read when he's a pastor?

First off, the guy had been a Pastor before he'd come to embrace Mid-Acts.

Second, he was Mid-Acts for some years before I even knew I held to some Mid-Acts views, as I only became familiar with said designation at some later point in my continuing understanding.

Third, I already had a pattern of studying things out on my own, in the Word, when I met the guy.

Fourth, prior to his coming to embrace Mid-Acts, he'd already had long been used to doing what many Pastors I have known do that they refer to as "Bible" study. They grab a bunch of books and or commentaries, put together notes out of them, and preach or conduct their supposed "Bible based" preachings and or studies on that.

That practice should be familiar to you, as it appears to be the basis of your every post, together with your own reading into things.

Fifth, where his Mid-Acts was books based, my own had been based on a great amount of time in Scripture.

As a result, where I knew a good, forty five minute Mid-Acts teaching might require a good two weeks in Scripture, all he knew to do was what he had always done - compare commentary with commentary, way much more so than verse with verse, after verse, afer verse, after verse, and then some.

Let alone, when preparing a study on an entire book of Scripture, say, like 1 Corinthians.

Because our everyday approach differed in this respect, he was at a loss as to how to proceed, absent of his standard approach, being that one just can't pick up "a good book" on this or that from a Mid-Acts Perspective, as even most of those are now outdated in their further refinement in their understanding on many things by some thirty to fifty years.

In this, Mid-Acts is like any other view; for the surprising number of Mid-Acts people on this forum able to lay out, study out, defend their view but one, most within Mid-Acts will be like most within any other view; unless it was written of in a book some where, most will not know much beyond that, no matter how sharp their Pastor.

People being... people...