Bible Thumper (Bob) Outpredicts Astrophysicist

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you saying that the high-Z objects in the HDF, the HDF-S, the UDF, and the XDF, for example, “look much like what we see nearby”?
I am sure you can look at any part of the universe and pick out features that are unique to it.

Of course the Deep Field images presuppose an old universe, most scientific efforts of that magnitude necessarily launch from a particular model of the universe. So?
So when a prediction is made according to that presupposition and an opposing prediction is made according to another presupposition, greater confidence is given to the prediction that is showed to be more accurate.
What are you babbling about? Science does not demand anything; it is a methodology for investigating nature.
Great. Then you will retract your assertion that Pastor Enyart would be happy that science is wrong. :up:

DavisBJ

Great. Then you will retract your assertion that Pastor Enyart would be happy that science is wrong. :up:
Good catch. To be more accurate, I change my assertion to saying that Pastor Enyart has often been effusive in his glee when scientists come across facets of science that they cannot explain.

DavisBJ

I don't think the scientists in the deep field studies demand an old age; an old age has the most evidence behind it and therefore becomes part of their model.
I think we are on the same page. “Demanding an old age” makes it sound like nature must conform to our ideas, which is silly. Science (meaning the practitioners thereof) are overwhelmingly in agreement that the universe is very old, and they proceed on that assumption.

DavisBJ

I am sure you can look at any part of the universe and pick out features that are unique to it.
Do you think the Deep Field projects are so loosely defined that the scientists are just picking out the observed objects that fit their expectations, and ignoring the rest?

Jukia

So more claims without backing them up. Ok.

Now this is a GDI claim. Do you know what the Bible says about these events? Without information about distances, the writers made a comment that in fact adds up to what we see. I will just give it to you.

Thus says God the Lord, Who created the heavens and stretched them out

They were created, then moved.

so you run your life based on oral stories from several 1000 years ago and base your understanding of the real world on them, yet you use the internet, must be a special Bible based one.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pastor Enyart has often been effusive in his glee when scientists come across facets of science that they cannot explain.
Facets of their theories. Predictions based on their ideas that do not bear out.

Everyone has ideas. Nobody has science.
I think we are on the same page. “Demanding an old age” makes it sound like nature must conform to our ideas, which is silly. Science (meaning the practitioners thereof) are overwhelmingly in agreement that the universe is very old, and they proceed on that assumption.
Which is simply an argument from popularity.

Do you think the Deep Field projects are so loosely defined that the scientists are just picking out the observed objects that fit their expectations, and ignoring the rest?

I don't know.

You said there were "high Z" objects out there. Aren't these light sources that are greatly red-shifted? Isn't red-shift correlated to distance?

DavisBJ

Facets of their theories. Predictions based on their ideas that do not bear out.
But in this specific case, Enyart made the prediction that the galaxies that the scientists were trying to observe in the HDF would turn out to be not much different than the galaxies we see locally (“They were normal” in his words). The HDF data has been available for nearly 2 decades now. Does the HDF data actually bear out Enyart’s claim?
Which is simply an argument from popularity.
It is the popular consensus in science, but that belief is based on the convergence of multiple lines of evidence. You are certainly welcome to dismiss it, right along with other arguments that are not seriously questioned in science – like the earth being round, or the earth circles the sun, or jumping off a cliff is not a good idea.
I don't know.

You said there were "high Z" objects out there. Aren't these light sources that are greatly red-shifted? Isn't red-shift correlated to distance?
As I suspected, your technical understanding of physics behind the Deep Field efforts is tenuous at best. Probably best that you simply come right out and admit that you are just rooting for what Enyart said, and not pretend to critique the concepts from a technical perspective. Enyart playing the part of the court jester is entertaining enough.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That belief is based on the convergence of multiple lines of evidence.
So show us the evidence. :up:

As I suspected, your technical understanding of physics behind the Deep Field efforts is tenuous at best.

Nope. You're just conflating ignorance with ineptitude.

I'm more than capable of following a discussion of this nature.

That you're not willing to do the same shows you to be running scared. :dog:

DavisBJ

So show us the evidence. :up:
One subject at a time. If the universe is recent, then as Bob claims, the HDF image should be largely devoid of “young” galaxies, since he claims God created the universe fully mature a few thousand years ago. If “young” galaxies were seen, then Bob is wrong, and that is one point of evidence that the universe is old.
Nope. You're just conflating ignorance with ineptitude.
I don’t know if you are inept at the HDF physics or not, but your questions demonstrate that you are ignorant of some fundamental aspects of it. Learn about it, and then show that you are neither inept or ignorant of the details.
I'm more than capable of following a discussion of this nature.
Tell your knight in shining armor to sally forth and give answer, and you are welcome to follow the discussion.
That you're not willing to do the same shows you to be running scared. :dog:
Kindergarten taunts have never impressed me.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One subject at a time. If the universe is recent, then as Bob claims, the HDF image should be largely devoid of “young” galaxies, since he claims God created the universe fully mature a few thousand years ago. If “young” galaxies were seen, then Bob is wrong, and that is one point of evidence that the universe is old.
Evolutionists are forever demanding that creationists adopt their assumptions to explain our model.

All galaxies are much the same age. You saying "old" and "young" is just you demanding that we accept your assertions as fact.

And your entire line of reasoning is one big straw man. You should not do that. Rational arguments work best. :up:
I don’t know if you are inept at the HDF physics or not, but your questions demonstrate that you are ignorant of some fundamental aspects of it. Learn about it, and then show that you are neither inept or ignorant of the details.
So z values do not refer to red-shift?

DavisBJ

Evolutionists are forever demanding that creationists adopt their assumptions to explain our model.

All galaxies are much the same age. You saying "old" and "young" is just you demanding that we accept your assertions as fact.

And your entire line of reasoning is one big straw man. You should not do that. Rational arguments work best. :up:
Bob said:
When they develop this photograph they’re going to see what we see wherever we look in the night sky. They’ll see normal galaxies.
Bob’s prediction does not depend on our assumptions, or on yours. Bob’s prediction does not depend on whether or not we label some shapes as young and others as old. His prediction simply says the galaxies seen in the HDF will look like normal galaxies.

After the HDF image became available Bob said:
And what was the result – does anybody remember? The galaxies were normal – just like we see everywhere else – spiral galaxies – they were normal!
Once again that does not depend on our assumptions, or on yours. Bob’s claim of what was seen does not depend on whether or not we label some shapes as young and others as old. His claim simply said what they saw were normal galaxies.

Now quit hiding behind semantics and show you have the integrity to answer the direct question – do the galaxies in the HDF image look like the spiral galaxies we see in our night sky?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The age of the universe findings are published and available for anyone to read.

Don't you mean a claim that presupposes that the stars were created, then set in motion and stretched out afterwards. What would observe if that were true about created, then stretched out. What would we see in the telescope.

I gave you terms you could put into a search engine to find the details if you wanted to find them.

I already took physics and astronomy, I already know your position.

DavisBJ

Which ones?
As I fully expected. When Bob Enyart made his statements about the HDF he didn’t try to hide behind “which ones” or “their assumption to explain our model”. Bob, rightly or wrongly, at least made a very direct and unambiguous claim. Since it is clear that Stripe is not even a shadow of Bob, each time he slithers out of his hole to answer it will be to dodge and do anything but give a direct answer to a direct question.

Stripe, pick whatever galaxies in the HDF image you want. Just as the astronomers have to do, please specify why you picked the ones you did.

DavisBJ

Don't you mean a claim that presupposes that the stars were created, then set in motion and stretched out afterwards. What would observe if that were true about created, then stretched out. What would we see in the telescope.
That is a good question. What would you expect to see in the telescope that would be different if the heavens had been “stretched out” instead of being billions of years old? Part of having a theory that challenges the current explanation is proposing tests which can differentiate between the two explanations.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As I fully expected. When Bob Enyart made his statements about the HDF he didn’t try to hide behind “which ones” or “their assumption to explain our model”. Bob, rightly or wrongly, at least made a very direct and unambiguous claim. Since it is clear that Stripe is not even a shadow of Bob, each time he slithers out of his hole to answer it will be to dodge and do anything but give a direct answer to a direct question. Stripe, pick whatever galaxies in the HDF image you want. Just as the astronomers have to do, please specify why you picked the ones you did.

:AMR:

"All of them" do look pretty much like what we see anywhere else. It was you that picked out a specific bunch to look at to try and discredit the prediction.

gcthomas

No, I don't That would be a nonsense given the observations.

I already took physics and astronomy, I already know your position.

Do you mean you sat through an introductory high school course? Meh.

gcthomas

So when a prediction is made according to that presupposition and an opposing prediction is made according to another presupposition, greater confidence is given to the prediction that is showed to be more accurate.

Did Bob make a prediction about B-mode polarisation of the cosmic background radiation due to primordial gravitational waves from the inflation era of expansion?

If he has, he ought to say something about it before the Harvard-Smithsonian announcement at 1600 UT.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/14/gravitational-waves-big-bang-universe-bicep

http://blog.vixra.org/2014/03/15/primordial-gravitational-waves/

Exciting times!

DavisBJ

:AMR:

"All of them" do look pretty much like what we see anywhere else. It was you that picked out a specific bunch to look at to try and discredit the prediction.
But, was or was not the clearly stated intent of the HDF to try to look back to see what galaxies looked like in the early universe, when they would have been quite young? How would you decide which galaxies in the HDF are ones from very far away, and which are closer?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think you're interested in a rational discussion. :wave2: