Being Rich Is A Sin

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Being Rich Is A Sin

2 Cor 8:12-15
12 For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have.
13 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened;
14 but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack-- that there may be equality.
15 As it is written, "He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack."
1 Cor 16:2-4
2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.
3 And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem.
4 But if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.
3 Jn 1:2-8
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
3 For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth.
4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
5 Beloved, you do faithfully whatever you do for the brethren and for strangers,
6 who have borne witness of your love before the church. If you send them forward on their journey in a manner worthy of God, you will do well,
7 because they went forth for His name's sake, taking nothing from the Gentiles.
8 We therefore ought to receive such, that we may become fellow workers for the truth.
James 2:5-9
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well;
9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
Rev 3:17-18
17 "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'-- and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked--
18 "I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
Matt 23:1-9
1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,
2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
3 "Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
4 "For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 "But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments.
6 "They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
7 "greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.'
8 "But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.
9 "Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
James 1:9-10
9 Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation,
10 but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away.
James 5:1-6
1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you!
2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten.
3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days.
4 Indeed the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.
5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as in a day of slaughter.
6 You have condemned, you have murdered the just; he does not resist you.
1 Tim 6:10-12
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.
12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
(NKJ)

xxx You can only be rich in money by holding back from others what God has demanded you give.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
RICH IN FAITH

2 Cor 8:9
9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.
2 Cor 6:4-10
4 But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses,
5 in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings;
6 by purity, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love,
7 by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
8 by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true;
9 as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed;
10 as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
James 2:5-7
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?
James 2:12
12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.
James 5:1-6
3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days.
4 Indeed the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.
5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as in a day of slaughter.
Rev 3:17-19
17 "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'-- and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked--
18 "I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
19 "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
3 Jn 1:2-8
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
3 For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth.
4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
5 Beloved, you do faithfully whatever you do for the brethren and for strangers,
6 who have borne witness of your love before the church. If you send them forward on their journey in a manner worthy of God, you will do well,
7 because they went forth for His name's sake, taking nothing from the Gentiles.
8 We therefore ought to receive such, that we may become fellow workers for the truth.
(NKJ)

oatmeal

So where is the verse that says being rich is sin?

Most certainly being rich has its peculiar set of temptations bit so does being poor and so does being married and so does being a child

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
lol Do you know what sin is? Anything not done in faith is sin. A rich person lacks one thing in order to have treasures in heaven.

Luke 18:22-23
22 So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
23 But when he heard this, he became very sorrowful, for he was very rich.
(NKJ)

Rom 14:23
23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
So where is the verse that says being rich is sin?

Most certainly being rich has its peculiar set of temptations bit so does being poor and so does being married and so does being a child

I said
Lets have a little spiritual test. Do you see any sin in this statement?

oatmeal

I said
Lets have a little spiritual test. Do you see any sin in this statement?

So you are saying that Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and Joseph and David and Solomon and Hezekiah and Jehosaphat and Joseph of Aramithea and Esther and Boaz and Job and other blessed and prosperous believers were sinning because they were rich?

Show me where Abraham sinned because he was rich.

And the others as well. Solomon when he walked with God was very blessed

WeberHome

-
There will be far and away many more liars in hell than rich seeing as how nobody is 100% honest.

Rev 21:8 . . All liars-- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
So you are saying that Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and Joseph and David and Solomon and Hezekiah and Jehosaphat and Joseph of Aramithea and Esther and Boaz and Job and other blessed and prosperous believers were sinning because they were rich?

Show me where Abraham sinned because he was rich.

And the others as well. Solomon when he walked with God was very blessed

I said
lol Doesn't anyone read the bible anymore. Is a thief and a robber sinning?

John 10:7-8
7 Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-
There will be far and away many more liars in hell than rich seeing as how nobody is 100% honest.

Rev 21:8 . . All liars-- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.

I said
Your wrong, Jesus was 100% honest.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
So Squeaky, how much wealth is being rich?

I said
lol That's new, and honest question. No sarcasm, no insults. Society sets the limit on a lot of things. Like what rich is, accountable age for children. The last I heard in 2000 was 150,000 dollars annual income. I know know today.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Let me ask you all a question. Why do I get so much sarcasm, and insults when all I'm doing is showing you what the bible says? A real born again Christian either rebuts with scripture or moves on, or asks a question.

Judson50

I think that’s a very short sighted view of the verses you quoted.

If God Chose to bless you with lots of money, then you should use it to bless others.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

drbrumley

I said
lol That's new, and honest question. No sarcasm, no insults
None intended...as is the following

Society sets the limit on a lot of things. Like what rich is, accountable age for children. The last I heard in 2000 was 150,000 dollars annual income. I know know today.

But you said "Being rich is a sin" did you not?

Question: Does God determine being rich a sin based on what society says? Because it seems that is what your saying....clarification please.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
None intended...as is the following

But you said "Being rich is a sin" did you not?

Question: Does God determine being rich a sin based on what society says? Because it seems that is what your saying....clarification please.

I said
Yes what society says is rich. Man has a measurement.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I think that’s a very short sighted view of the verses you quoted.

If God Chose to bless you with lots of money, then you should use it to bless others.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

I said
That is true. And if you blessed others as much as you should. you wouldn't be rich anymore. You wouldn't have anything left over.

2 Cor 8:12-15
12 For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have.
13 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened;
14 but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack-- that there may be equality.
15 As it is written, "He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack."

Gary K

Banned
Squeaky,

You seem to be making a big deal out of a few texts and ignoring everything else God has ever said on the subject.

Deuteronomy 28: 9 The Lord will establish you as a people holy to himself, as he has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in his ways. 10 And all the peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you. 11 And the Lord will make you abound in prosperity, in the fruit of your womb and in the fruit of your livestock and in the fruit of your ground, within the land that the Lord swore to your fathers to give you. 12 The Lord will open to you his good treasury, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hands. And you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow. 13 And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail, and you shall only go up and not down, if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you today, being careful to do them,

IKings 3: 10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. 11 And God said to him, “Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, 12 behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. 13 I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days.

IKings 10: 14 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was 666 talents of gold, 15 besides that which came from the explorers and from the business of the merchants, and from all the kings of the west and from the governors of the land. 16 King Solomon made 200 large shields of beaten gold; 600 shekels of gold went into each shield. 17 And he made 300 shields of beaten gold; three minas of gold went into each shield. And the king put them in the House of the Forest of Lebanon. 18 The king also made a great ivory throne and overlaid it with the finest gold. 19 The throne had six steps, and at the back of the throne was a calf's head, and on each side of the seat were armrests and two lions standing beside the armrests, 20 while twelve lions stood there, one on each end of a step on the six steps. The like of it was never made in any kingdom. 21 All King Solomon's drinking vessels were of gold, and all the vessels of the House of the Forest of Lebanon were of pure gold. None were of silver; silver was not considered as anything in the days of Solomon. 22 For the king had a fleet of ships of Tarshish at sea with the fleet of Hiram. Once every three years the fleet of ships of Tarshish used to come bringing gold, silver, ivory, apes, and peacocks.

Do you know what a talent of gold weighed? It was 250 lbs. Try multiplying 250 times 666 to see how many pounds that is. There are 14.5833 troy ounces in a pound of gold as precious metals are weighed by the troy ounce. The price of gold today is $1280/oz. That's the spot Monex price. What is Solomon's income in gold alone worth today? $3,107,999,289.60 That is only a portion of Solomon's income every year.

I'd say God made Solomon extremely wealthy. So, basically you're saying God is the author of sin. That He caused Solomon to sin because God said He would give Solomon wealth. God made that same promise to the enitire nation of Israel. See the quote from Deuteronomy 28 above. The nation of Israel was to be the head and not the tail. The were to never have to borrow, but would be lenders instead. And God said he would bless all the works of their hands.

Seems to me that God has a different opinion of wealth than you do. What the Bible says is wrong is the love of mammon(wealth). For the love of money is the root of all evil. ITimothy 6:10 Notice, it is the love of money, not the money itself that is evil.

WeberHome

-
I said Your wrong, Jesus was 100% honest.

Note the language and grammar of the scripture below.

"There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." (Rom 3:10-12)

You see, when an indictment is issued against the human race, Jesus is presumed the exception, viz: it isn't necessary to say so.

BTW: Next time be sure to spell "Your wrong" correctly. It should be in the from of a contraction; like this: You're wrong.

/

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-

Note the language and grammar of the scripture below.

"There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." (Rom 3:10-12)

You see, when an indictment is issued against the human race, Jesus is presumed the exception, viz: it isn't necessary to say so.

BTW: Next time be sure to spell "Your wrong" correctly. It should be in the from of a contraction; like this: You're wrong.

/

I said
ROFLOL (in the from of a contraction)