BATTLE TALK ~ BRX (rounds 8 thru 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm not sure I understand your point. It is my understanding that this prophecy was fulfilled. After about 30 seconds of searching online I found the following which is in keeping with other explanations I've heard for years.

From www.aboutbibleprophecy.com...
Egypt would never again rule over nations
Bible passage: Ezekiel 29:15
Prophet: Ezekiel
Written: between 593-571 BC
Fulfilled: 1967, etc.
In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Egypt today, in many respects, is an impressive nation. But since the time of Ezekiel, it no longer rules over other nations.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

RobE

Clete said:
I'm not sure I understand your point. It is my understanding that this prophecy was fulfilled. After about 30 seconds of searching online I found the following which is in keeping with other explanations I've heard for years.

In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Egypt today, in many respects, is an impressive nation. But since the time of Ezekiel, it no longer rules over other nations.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Thanks for the quick reply even though I don't believe Patman would agree. I can buy into what your saying. Lee and Patman have been discussing this for a few pages on this thread and now you've resolved their debate for me. Thanks.

Can you think of any prophecy that went unfulfilled without repentance taking place? I can't.

Just Wondering?

RobE

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
RobE said:
Thanks for the quick reply even though I don't believe Patman would agree. I can buy into what your saying. Lee and Patman have been discussing this for a few pages on this thread and now you've resolved their debate for me. Thanks.

Can you think of any prophecy that went unfulfilled without repentance taking place? I can't.

Just Wondering?

RobE
Nope! At least not in the Bible anyway.

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

RobE: Question: If what a prophet says does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord hasn't spoken. What does this mean to you in relationship to the unfulfilled prophecies used by the OVers to state their case against traditional Christianity.
I agree that this verse (Dt. 18:18) says clearly that God cannot be wrong about a prediction. The OV is therefore incorrect to hold that he can be.

And I was wondering if Lee and Bling believe God is responsible for sin whether he foresees the future or not----And, of course, why?
Because the critical factor in a deed is the motive, and the intended outcome, and the actual outcome.

Genesis 50:20 "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive."

So people who are sinning have a different motive and a different outcome in mind than God does, yet it is God's good plan that prevails:

Psalm 56:11 In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

So God is not sinning, when he is in control of even sinful actions, and even has such actions in his plans, for a good purpose.

Clete: So then the Scritpural test would be that if what is spoken does not come to pass when no such repentence is in evidence then the prophet is a false prophet.
Unless the prophecy is that there will be no repentance?

Jeremiah 4:28 "For this the earth shall mourn And the heavens above be dark, Because I have spoken, I have purposed, And I will not change my mind [will not "nacham"], nor will I turn from it."

But how is this possible, according to the Open View? With the OV interpretation of Jer. 18?

Blessings,
Lee

P.S. Though thanks for the note on the Egypt prophecy being fulfilled, Clete!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
lee_merrill said:
Hi everyone,

I agree that this verse (Dt. 18:18) says clearly that God cannot be wrong about a prediction. The OV is therefore incorrect to hold that he can be.
The open view does not hold that God can be wrong. This is a straw man that has been dealt with about a million times. You quoted my statement about what the Scriptural test of a prophet is, where is it in there that God might be wrong?

Clete: So then the Scritpural test would be that if what is spoken does not come to pass when no such repentence is in evidence then the prophet is a false prophet.

Unless the prophecy is that there will be no repentance?

Jeremiah 4:28 "For this the earth shall mourn And the heavens above be dark, Because I have spoken, I have purposed, And I will not change my mind [will not "nacham"], nor will I turn from it."

But how is this possible, according to the Open View? With the OV interpretation of Jer. 18?
What interpretation of Jer 18? I just quote it and take it for what it plainly says! How do you interpret it?

And you guys need to supply some context on these verses you quote. It sucks having to go look it up and spend 20 minutes figuring out the context in order to end up simply quoting more of the passage that clearly explains it when you could have done that yourself and saved the whole thread the trouble.

Okay! I can't figure out what your point is? I've looked and looked and I see no problem presented by Jeremiah chapter 4. It sounds like an end time prophecy at first reading but it seems after looking more carefully that it is concerning Judah (Israel). So what? Are you simply refering to the the phrase "Because I have spoken, I have purposed, And I will not change my mind [will not "nacham"], nor will I turn from it."? If so, I don't see a problem because the "unless you repent" should be infered by the context. Jeremiah calls for Israel's repentence in chapter 7. What would have been the point of that?
Further, in Joshua 3:10 God says that He will "without fail" drive out Israel's enemies from before them and in keeping with the principle taught clearly in Jeremiah 18 God did not do it because Israel did evil in God's sight.

P.S. Though thanks for the note on the Egypt prophecy being fulfilled, Clete!
It's amazing what you kind find on Google! :thumb:

Resting in Him,
Clete

patman

Blood sweat and tears for Lee

Blood sweat and tears for Lee

Lee, I almost lost this entire post due to a networking problem. I am so glad I didn't have to start over, this has taken a very long time to write. Enjoy

Hello Lee,

I know you write off all of my facts as..... not facts. Even though they are, I have one very important fact from scripture that you refuted. As often as I give you scripture, you seem to find some way of talking it away, a lot of times with out getting the whole story before you answer, I pray that this time you will see the obvious meaning and the absolute undeniable fact that God said one thing would happen, then he admitted it did not happen.

Ezekiel 26:7
"For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: From the north I am going to bring against Tyre Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, with horsemen and a great army.

Ezekiel 26:12
"They" (still talking about Nebuchadnezzar and his horses and chariots and horsement with a great army) "will pluner your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine horses and throw your stones, timber and rubble into the sea."

Ezekiel 29:18 NIV
"Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon drove his army in a hard compaign against Tyre; Every head was rubbed bare and every shoulder made raw. Yet he and his army got no reward from the campaign he had led against Tyre."

NKJV
"Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon caused his army to labor strenuously against Tyre; every head was made bald, and every shoulder rubbed raw; yet neither he nor his army received wages from Tyre, for the labor which they expended on it."

YLT (Young's Literal Translation)
'Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, Hath caused his force to serve a great service against Tyre, Every head (is) bald -- every shoulder peeled, And reward he had none, nor his force, out of Tyre, For the service that he had served against it.'

Lee, I put down several translations in hopes that you will see the obvious meaning that Tyre was not utterly destroyed. It is not a simple "They didn't get their plunder." They didn't get it because they didn't destroy it. It ended in a "truce." Tyre remains standing and the war stops so long as Tyre accepts Babylon rule.

Your argument that I misunderstood the verse is incorrect. You say that Nebuchadnezzar not receiving wages is not a contradiction to Nebuchadnezzar will destroy Tyre. Which in essence is true if that's all you look at. But when the very same chapter that claims that Nebuchadnezzar will destroy Tyre also claims that Nebuchadnezzar would receive his plunder from Tyre, it is without doubt an example how one thing was said to happen, and yet another thing happened instead.

A CONFESSION
Now as a soldier for Truth, I must correct past statements I made to you. I said that Tyre was not taken because Egypt tried to help Israel. This is not true. Tyre's Invasion happened 14 years after Babylon took Israel. It is true that Egypt did try to help Israel, but not in the time reference that I originally stated.

The fact is that Egypt's destruction had been proclaimed for a very long time before Tyre. Isaiah declared it from well before 698 B.C. And Tyre was not invaded until 585 B.C.. In 578 B.C. Egypt was told that Nebuchadnezzar, by name, would take them over. Everything I said before about the order of events in which Nebuchadnezzar would take Tyre, Egypt, and then Israel was wrong.

About 600 B.C. King Josiah fought Against Babylon along with Pharaoh Necho II. They were defeated. From that time on(If not a little before that) Egypt had looked over Israel and demanded payment for it, for which they received.

in 697 Egypt was pushed back from Israel from which they never returned. But their aid was still there. Egypt became a refuge for Judah, whom flee to Egypt after Jerusalem was destroyed. I had my dates mixed up. But it is still possible that Egypt repented, diverting their judgement.

I also misrepresented Ezekiel 29:15 in that the "lowly" kingdom was meant to last forever. The "forever" applied to their ruling over other kingdoms, not their being lowly. This I must take back, yet it does not harm my over all points that I proclaim again and again:

God does not know the future because he proclaimed one thing to happen, and it did not.

This one point about Ezekiel 29 I concede is in honor of truth. It was only one way to show that God proclaimed one thing and yet another thing happened. I have many many other verses that show that. I pray you have the strength to do the same in light of the scripture's message as I do.

More Wood
So, now that I corrected my faulty timeline of the wars between Egypt, Tyre, Israel and Babylon, let me add another verse to strengthen my point that Egypt was to be taken into captivity before Israel, and that it didn't happen.

Egypt had a pending prophecy of destruction. They all pointed to Babylon (also called the kingdom from the north) utterly destroying it. Gradually they start to mention names. Pharaoh Necho vs. Nebuchadnezzar in a battle to the death, from which Nebuchadnezzar would win. Well Necho died, but not in battle, in 595 BC.. 595 B.C.was just 2 years after Israel was captured for the first round of captivity. By the time of Necho's death, Egypt should have been taken into captivity for 40 years by Nebuchadnezzar.

Jeremiah 46:2
Against Egypt. Concerning the army of Pharaoh Necho, king of Egypt, which was by the River Euphrates in Carchemish, and which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon defeated in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah:
Jeremiah 46:13
The word that the LORD Spoke to Jeremiah the prophet, how Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon would come and strike the land of Egypt.
Jeremiah 46:19
O you daughter dwelling in Egypt, prepare yourself to go into captivity.

Pharaoh Necho was the one whom Nebuchadnezzar defeated at the River Euphrates, Afterwards Necho went back to Egypt. Then Babylon started to occupy Necho's Egyptian territory of Israel. The Prophecies in Jeremiah 46 apply to Nebuchadnezzar and Necho. The land of Egypt under Necho was to be taking into captivity. But This didn't happen. Instead Israel was taken for 70 years.

If you think Egypt under Necho was utterly destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, that would mean there would be no more Pharaoh's in Egypt. But Jeremiah talks about Hophra( Jeremiah 44:30), who was Pharaoh 6 years after Necho. How could Egypt have a Pharaoh if they were all in captivity for 40 years and if Egypt was to have been utterly destroyed, such that no one will even walk through, it 6 years earlier?

If you read this verse, note the reference that this prophecy is proclaimed after the captivity of Jerusalem under King Zedekiah, putting what I am saying in the correct time reference and context.

Here is what really happened:

After Nebuchadnezzar took Israel, he went against Tyre. He fought them for 13 years, so long that his army went bald! Yet, even though they were supposed to utterly destroy Tyre as a judgement from God (proclaimed just before Jerusalem was captured, Tyre mocked Israel when they were taken captive, and that angered God, plus they were very proud) God, for some unknown reason to me, changed his mind and sent them against Egypt instead. Even though Babylon and Egypt did fight, Egypt was not utterly destroyed as was foretold.

All that said to make this point. The Egypt of Necho was proclaimed to be destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar as a Judgement of God and to be taken into captivity for 40 years but It didn't happen, as Necho Died before Jerusalem was destroyed by other causes. Egypt continued as it had been for hundreds of years before and had many more Pharaohs, of which one, Hophra, is named in Jeremiah as ruling after the fall of Jerusalem. Therefore, all the Prophecies against Necho's Egypt being utterly destroyed and going into captivity had not come to pass because Egypt continued to be.

Also 18 years after the fall of Israel Egypt was still standing because while Nebuchadnezzar was fighting Tyre, suddenly God decides to send Nebuchadnezzar against to Egypt, who was still standing.

Also, two more things declared by God didn't happen, Tyre was not utterly destroyed by Babylon, and Egypt was not utterly destroyed by Babylon, nor were they all made captives.

Lee, I have researched this more than I thought I ever would. I challenge you to do the same. Most of the prophecies give us a time reference to which they were proclaimed. And in the prophecies themselves, a date for the fulfillment is given in these cases.

I got out a piece of paper and made a time line. This took me a long time to do. I flipped back and forth through the Bible to make sure everything lined up with what I am saying. I then went to history records to discover the actual dates. Everything fit in so perfectly, I was amazed how accurate the Bible account was, it is so neat to have your faith affirmed!

I did all this because I want to gain your trust, and I do not want to say anything that is false. I do not want to tell you anything wrong, and If I do, I will correct it. I really did a lot of work on this. The dates, the accounts of history that I have presented you are all correct and are triple checked and are in context.

In fact right after Israel returned, Cyrus' son tried to Invade Egypt, as it were still standing over 70 years after Necho's death. Egypt was the only free nation left in the area at that time. Thus, it was tempting for a new young king who wanted it all to take it. So Cyrus son, for the first time in history was successful in taking most of Egypt. Yet even then It wasn't destroyed or taken captive, it was just owned. It was oppressed, their religion was mocked by Cyrus' son, Cambyses II, and by those who followed.

Even though he took Memphis, he didn't take the south east of Egypt. Egypt was not completely taken over until Alexander the Great "delivered" Egypt from the Persian rule. After he died, Egypt was left Ptolemaic, one of Alexander's generals. Egypt accepted their rule fully because of the religious freedom they had been denied by the Persians was given under the Greece rule.

Ptolemaic was a powerful king, and Egypt had a great army and navy. It was never made the lowest nation by Nebuchadnezzar, they were the only free nation left. Egypt under the Ptolemaic fought and won many wars, and lost many, until they were under rule of Rome. They, to my research, never took over other nations, though more research can be done.

Which is easier to believe: (1.) Egypt was captured, utterly destroyed, and taken captive for 40 years, and everyone, including big headed Nebuchadnezzar, forgot all about it, didn't write it down, and Cyrus never thought it important enough to put in his history books? (2.) Or that it didn't happen at all?

All records point that it didn't happen. Including the Bible. It shows in many ways that it didn't happen.

Lee, as I pointed out, I have really done the research on this. I think I deserve hard evidence as to how I am mistaking.

But I think that the verses I quoted are enough to prove my point. The first batch shows that Nebuchadnezzar was promised plunder and later we find out that he didn't get it. Not only did he not get it, he didn't utterly destroy Tyre.

And the second batch shows how Pharaoh Necho's Egypt was to be taken captive for 40 years, then Jeremiah tells us about Hophra who reigning right after Jerusalem is taken, showing clearly that Egypt still was established after Necho died.

Not to mention that almost 20 years later Egypt is still there because God himself says Nebuchadnezzar would destroy it. That was almost 30 years after Necho was promised that they would be captives, yet they are still thriving!

Lee, so far, all your answers have been only half answers. When you said Nebuchadnezzar didn't receive his reward was different from him not destroying Tyre, you obviously didn't read the entire prophecy before you said that. Because It did say he would receive wages, too!

I hope that you will really study this.

God bless,
Pat

patman

To Clete

To Clete

Clete said:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete, I agree, humbly, that Egypt was not to rule over other nations is a fulfillment of prophecy. I misrepresented the verse when I said it was not fulfilled. I am not an authority of Egyptian history, and it may come to light that Egypt did at some point rule over some other nation, to which I will have no problem with.

Please realize this was one very small point in a bed of nails. Taking this one nail out does not mean the bed still pointy!

I do not say that Prophecy is never fulfilled. I say that some are not, for the purpose to show that God does not absolutely know the future.

Nonetheless, here are some comments

Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations.

We find in cross reference that Egypt is to be taken over by Nebuchadnezzar at the time of Necho, king of Egypt, at which time they will be scattered and made captives and Egypt would be destroyed to the point that no one would step foot on it. These events did not happen. Babylon did invade Egypt again after Necho's death, this happened around 550 B.C..(2600 years ago? close enough!) Perhaps this is the point that Egypt was made lowly, but again, it was not utterly destroyed or taken captive for 40 years, and people continued to dwell the land, weakened as they may have been. So in part, It was fulfilled, in part, seeing as the 40 years didn't happen, it was not. And we can't ignore that.

Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Egypt today, in many respects, is an impressive nation. But since the time of Ezekiel, it no longer rules over other nations.

Amen. Holding to my understanding of history's record this part of the verse is fulfilled. But I must say, Egypt was not utterly destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar as was foretold.

Thanks Clete
-Patman

patman

Dear RobE and Bling,

Dear RobE and Bling,

RobE,

Just curious, is it Robby, or Rob E.? If it is one or the other, do you mind if I address you as such?

I am really growing attached to the conversations we are having. I feel very sharpened.

RobE, you said to Clete, "Thanks for the quick reply even though I don't believe Patman would agree. I can buy into what your saying. Lee and Patman have been discussing this for a few pages on this thread and now you've resolved their debate for me. Thanks."

I did agree for the most part. This one point is not a debate killer tho. I hope you think back and see it is only one independent argument. None of my other arguments rest on this point, and my claims are still strongly supported by fact and scripture.

I appologize that I am not yet able to address your last post to me directly. I will. I ended up having a free day today, for which I wanted to answer everyone. I started with Lee because I thought it would be a quick answer. But I ended up doing a lot of research, cross-reference, studying, and history reading to back up everything I was saying.

I made a mistake on my last reply to him about why I thought God interrupted Nebuchadnezzar's conquest of Tyre to take Egypt, but as it turns out, I don't know why that happened. All I know is that both Egypt and Tyre were spared from the full wrath of God. And I trust God that it was for a good reason.

I did not want to make a mistake again. I assure everything I am telling you is based on scripture and history, and the two agree perfectly.

Anyway, it took a long time to get all my facts together. Thus I will address your post at my next opportunity. I thank you for your patience and blessings. I direct those right back at you. Thanks for reading me!

Bling,

I echo my statements to RobE. I ask for your patience as I reply to your post. I wanted to get to it today, but look, what happened to the time? I will address your post as soon as I can. I know I raised a lot of questions, and I expected that. I am glad that , at times, you are able to read what I am saying and not what I am typing. There is a difference.

God Bless to all,
Patman (AKA Pat - as in Patrick)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Patman,

Please keep in mind that I found that article in about 20 seconds on the internet and while it holds basically to that which I've heard explained on this section of Scripture in the past, it is by no means a complete explanation of the entire text nor was it presented as such. The whole point was that I don't believe that this passage can be presented as an unfulfilled prophecy. And when one considers that there are several other examples of unfulfilled prophecy in Scripture that are far less ambiguous one wonders why one would attempt to maintain such a position on this particular passage. If you want to present a prophecy that didn't come to pass, why not present Matt. 16:28 or something like that?

Resting in Him,
Clete

bling

I really do not want to get into this discussion of Ezekiel 29, Patman you did a great job, but you do bring up questions:
The unbeliever uses these passages to show our God does not do what He says He will do. It does not matter if He has foreknowledge or not, you have to say something other then He changed His mind. You have to give a Biblical explanation of how and/or why.
1. Is our God not strong enough to destroy a city?
2. Does Jer. 18 applies and how?
3. Is Ezekiel a false prophet that is recorded in the Bible?
4. Was it fulfilled with some explanation like Alexander took the throne as a new Neb… and so on?

What ever you say it comes down to not having enough information recorded for us to know for sure. As usual people take a small side incomplete story of a much larger complete story to develop a proof text. We might assume Tyre and Egypt repented for a while, and Ezekiel and everyone understood that as being the exception of his prophecy spoken or not.
Can we agree that God would not communicate a possibility as a for gone conclusion and thus miss lead anyone? If so, in this as in many other places we lack all that was communicated especially in side stories.
I much prefer our other discusion, Patman.

RobE

Clete said:
Patman,

Please keep in mind that I found that article in about 20 seconds on the internet and while it holds basically to that which I've heard explained on this section of Scripture in the past, it is by no means a complete explanation of the entire text nor was it presented as such. The whole point was that I don't believe that this passage can be presented as an unfulfilled prophecy. And when one considers that there are several other examples of unfulfilled prophecy in Scripture that are far less ambiguous one wonders why one would attempt to maintain such a position on this particular passage. If you want to present a prophecy that didn't come to pass, why not present Matt. 16:28 or something like that?

Resting in Him,
Clete

24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save his life[h] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 27For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. 28I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

First of all this wasn't a prophecy. It's a teaching.

paraphrased by RobE
25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but he who dies for me will find it......

I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not DIE before they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

It simply tells them that some of them will die for him and others(JUDAS) will not. If you wish to believe this is a fulfilled prophecy, I can live with that as well.

Thanks,
RobE

patman

Quick comment for Bling

Quick comment for Bling

bling said:
I really do not want to get into this discussion of Ezekiel 29, Patman you did a great job, but you do bring up questions:
The unbeliever uses these passages to show our God does not do what He says He will do. It does not matter if He has foreknowledge or not, you have to say something other then He changed His mind. You have to give a Biblical explanation of how and/or why.
1. Is our God not strong enough to destroy a city?
2. Does Jer. 18 applies and how?
3. Is Ezekiel a false prophet that is recorded in the Bible?
4. Was it fulfilled with some explanation like Alexander took the throne as a new Neb… and so on?

What ever you say it comes down to not having enough information recorded for us to know for sure. As usual people take a small side incomplete story of a much larger complete story to develop a proof text. We might assume Tyre and Egypt repented for a while, and Ezekiel and everyone understood that as being the exception of his prophecy spoken or not.
Can we agree that God would not communicate a possibility as a for gone conclusion and thus miss lead anyone? If so, in this as in many other places we lack all that was communicated especially in side stories.
I much prefer our other discusion, Patman.

Bling, this is just a quick note (it may look long, but most of this isn't my writing as you will see). I agree we should keep on the topic of our original conversation (which just may end up addressing these points again), but thanks for your input. This post is not meant to make any arguments worth debating, but just to be something to think about.

You say that unbelievers look to those verses and say God is not really God because he didn't do what he said he would. And I agree, unbelievers find many reasons to doubt, and some may doubt a God who might change his mind.

But there is a flip side to the criticism. Atheist also look to the Bible with the assumption that God knows the future and find verses like the ones below and conclude that God is not God.

These quotes are from www.atheist.org, a really wacky site. Don't go there, it doesn't even render right anymore. If they had their way, we would kiss our freedom of speech goodbye. BUT anyway... They have a page dedicated to so called Bible contradictions, and that is where I found the quote below. This is an exert of why they believe that God is not really God.

ON HUMAN SACRIFICE

"... Thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God..." -- Leviticus 18:21

[In Judges, though, the tale of Jephthah, who led the Israelites against the Ammonoites, is being told. Being fearful of defeat, this good religious man sought to guarantee victory by getting god firmly on his side. So he prayed to god] "... If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering" (Judges 11:30-31).

[The terms were acceptable to god -- remember, he is supposed to be omniscient and know the future -- so he gave victory to Jephthah, and the first whatsoever that greeted him upon his glorious return was his daughter, as god surely knew would happen, if god is god. True to his vow, the general made a human sacrifice of his only child to god!] -- Judges 11:29-34

ON THE END OF THE WORLD

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. " -- Matthew 16:28

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. " -- Luke 21:32-33

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." -- Romans 13:11-12

"Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh." -- James 5:8

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." -- 1 John 2:18

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer." -- 1 Peter 4:7

These words were written between 1800 and 1900 years ago and were meant to warn and prepare the first Christians for the immediate end of the world. Some words are those supposedly straight out of the mouth of the "Son of God." The world did not end 1800 or 1900 years ago. All that generation passed away without any of the things foretold coming to pass. No amount of prayer brought it about; nor ever so much patience and belief and sober living. The world went on, as usual, indifferent to the spoutings of yet another batch of doomsday prophets with visions of messiahs dancing in their deluded brains. The world, by surviving, makes the above passages contradictions.

I hope you can see that people actually turn their back to God because they cannot reason how a god that supposedly knows the future can answer such a prayer, knowing the consequences. Future knowledge is actually a stumbling block too, sometimes. It could be that if the Open View were more popular, these arguments would have not been made because we proclaim that the future is open to God and that he can change his mind even after he said something.

I know that statement brings up some questions for you. To which I have one simple answer, we can trust God because of all promises he made, the one of Jesus' sacrifice was always kept; he never has swayed from his salvation to those who would have faith.

Now I know that God didn't cause the sacrifice of the girl. And that is a ridiculous argument no mater which side you are on, O.V. or S.V.. Even when I was a settled viewer, I laughed at their ignorance thinking that God would make no such deal, that he already decided to give the victory and this was not an agreement to the prayer. Thus you do not have to be an O.V.'er to get around this.

The quotes are to show you that even the Settled View causes problems for unbelievers; there are problems with the Settled View that make people turn from God also.

That's all I really wanted to say in brief. Perhaps we can discuss this further later. I must get to work on RobE's post.

Thanks Bling,
-Pat

P.S. Don't discredit my evidence as being incomplete yet. I have used the Bible to back up history, in spite if itself. Most of my last post to Lee was scripture based records to prove my point, I simply used history to get the years. And it was really neat to see it all fit together so well. Thanks for reading Bling.

patman

Reply to RobE (whoa)

Reply to RobE (whoa)

Originally Posted by patman

How about to Enoch, Abraham, Noah, and the millions before Christ?

I am not getting the point. Unless these are all good buddies of yours, alive and well today, these all died before Christ, he would have knowledge of their sins. The "said problem" is how can Christ die for sins in a future that is unknown, is it not?

I included them because I'm trying to comprehend God if he only lived in the present, not in the past or future. 'Outside of time', so to speak.

Quote:

I do believe Christ bore our sins. But not to the extreme nature that you do. You read this verse[2 Peter 2:24], and you see every sin from all over the world from all time being placed on Christ. I do not read all that into the verse. Jesus bore our sins means that our sin, in general, was bore by Christ.

Not to ridicule, but did you say here that Jesus bore our sins which means Jesus bore our sins for the most part, but not completely?

I can see how you might read all that into my statement. I am sorry for not wording it better. Jesus bore our sins on the cross means that our sins, sins of any human, i.e. in general. The word bore makes it sound as if sin were a weight to be carried. What is the weight of sin? Death. This is why the rest of the verse includes that overlooked line "that we might be dead to sin."

Quote:

You also like the idea of Jesus thinking of you while he was on the cross. I would like that idea too if I thought it were possible.

I really never considered Jesus thinking of me on the cross. It would make it more personal, but I always figured he was thinking about the Father's will and resisting the temptation to remove himself from the cross. It would seem a simple task compared to defeating death and overcoming the gates of hell.

RobE, I am sorry for making assumptions about what you believe. I accused you of being blind because the desire to be lifted up was driving your thinking. You admitted that you never thought about what I said. Thus, I am truly sorry.

Quote:

This is what I say, using my own words, and not yours (against you)

If God starts a program knowing that program will sin because of the way he made it, and knowing it would be possible for him to start a different program that does not sin, God, in effect, predestined man to sin. If God designs a man to sin, God predestined him to fall. I do not understand how that deniable.

God created man 'Good'. As you pointed out in your last post it would be impossible to start any program which includes free will(choices); if in reality, there is no choice. Now, factor into that program the millions of people who have been born into the world. What's the probability that a wrong choice wouldn't be made. Zero. If free will exists, so do wrong choices(sin)!

Patman, God, the one who does know the future, is not responsible for sin made through your own free will, even if it saddened him when he foresaw it. He's not responsible for your choices, now or ever; but he did suffer and die for them, before you drew your first breath, so you could exercise your free will and have an opportunity to choose life.

RobE, I know this is what you believe, and if that's all there were to it, I could see your point. It is like me watching Stargate for the 5th time. I am not responsible for Ra' being evil just because I know the end of the movie.

Which is true only if I didn't write the movie. If I wrote the movie, created the characters, then I could say that I was the one who made Ra' kill Daniel Jackson's wife.

I know you don't see life as if it were a script. I have read and understood your point that you think God knows the future as one who just understands. You think that God, while knowing the future, gave man freewill, and we are responsible for our own choices.

But so far, I am not seeing an answer to the problem I see with this view. If God knew the future when he created man, he knew that the particular design he used would result in a sinful man without fail. I know you say that there were probably a quazi-billi-kazillion options where sin was certain to happen sooner or later among freewill men, I guess that means you think he chose the best design, so to say?

You may not see it, but the idea of looking into the future means everything has a destiny.

It doesn't matter if man sinned or not. If God looked into the future he would know how not to make man, so that the nerves in his brain would not come to the very conclusion that would permit sin in the world, thus giving man a hand in his own destruction.

I am at a loss for words on how to explain my problem with the view that God saw the future while creating man. A lot of this feels like repeat.

Perhaps I can explain it with this: TNT has a good side and a bad side. It can plow roads, it makes foundations for buildings, and so on... It also has a dark side. It can be used in acts of terrorism such that innocent people die from it.

Lets suppose JOE made TNT. His TNT has a special mixture to make it stronger than others. Joe gets an order to make a batch. As he start to make it, he discovers that the order will be shipped to terrorists in NY City and used to blow up a building, but he didn't care. He makes it anyway, he even makes it with his special mixture, knowing ahead of time that his TNT would not be used for good; not even one stick was going to be used for good. After he ships it, a week later 500 are killed because of the work of his hands. Do you suppose that Joe is in any way responsible for those lives lost? Joe didn't push the "boom" button, but he made his TNT knowing it would be used to kill innocent people. And he made it in such a way that it would be more powerful to boot!

What if Joe didn't know? What if he checked the order and found it was going to be used to fix i40? Then he makes the TNT with the special mixture and sends it out, and on the way down the shipment is stopped, the truck stolen, and tragically the TNT was used to kill 500 people, would Joe be responsible? Absolute not. He made the TNT in such a way that it would be powerful for i40, not for the evil the terrorist did, as the previous example stated.

Now what about a god who knows the future? He makes man, knowing that this particular design will lead to a world consumed with sin. Not only that, he knew all would sin. And not only that, anything is possible for God, so it was possible to make things so they would turn out different.

The consequences of his creation would have been on his mind through out the entire creation process, "When I give Adam a type B personality, it will be the factor that makes him eat of the tree." I believe a loving God would have used this knowledge to his advantage, and created man differently.

I think I already know your answer to this. What about free will? God gave us freewill. But if God knows the future, he knows every possible domino effect that will happen as a result of his creation. Thus, because God created the world the way he did, he created its domino effect. That means there really is no free will.

Even if God does give Adam freewill while knowing his future, he already knows the choices Adam will make as a result of everything God laid out. And he would know, perfectly and exactly, what things to do to guild his freewill to do the right thing. And he would have done them so that he would not be setting the dominos up for destruction.

RobE, this is only one the many problems I have with God knowing the future. Any way you or I spin this, I always come to the conclusion that God set the domino's to fall in the way they have, meaning every sin that ever happened, every good thing, and every thing else that ever happened are all a result of God doing making it the way it is, knowing ahead of time exactly what sins he was causing.

If God does not know the future, he cannot be certain that sin will come. If he designed man in such a way that there was no programing, i.e. that he was free, God's hands are truly clean if that man falls to sin because God did everything that he could to prevent it without stopping it.

You said a while back that a god who does not know the future would still be responsible for sin. And now you say in Rule 1 that "God is not responsible for sin whether he knows the future or not."

Do you really think that? Every logical end tells me that if God knows the future, he would use this knowledge in such a way that the world would have been created and, shaped afterwards, so perfectly that no sin would exist. Man could still have freewill, though God would know exactly what to and not to do that would cause that will to choose the wrong thing because he saw ahead of time what would happen. While man was given the choice to sin, his choice would always result in right, making freewill more of a token than real money.

If you want to say that freewill in the context that A loving god who knows the future is "real money", this leads us down another road. God now knows every action of every freewill person, those who sin and those who don't. God knows the future, and everything about it, and knows the exact actions he and his creation will take. He is now trapped. He sees the absolute future, and not a future of possibilities. He remembers giving Adam freewill, and he knows the coming sin will not allow an intervention from God because freewill is not taboo in this situation, so he is helpless. He can't use the knowledge of the future to help Adam because he already foresaw that Adam would fall, he already saw that He wouldn't stop it from happening, and despite the actions he did take to put things in place and to cause what he can to happen, the future is unwinding exactly the way that God just knew it would happen.

DEEP STUFF.

It seems to me that any way you cut it, God's knowledge of the future is impossible so long as we have freewill.

Deut. 18:18
18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

21 You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD ?" 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken.

Question: If what a prophet says does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord hasn't spoken. What does this mean to you in relationship to the unfulfilled prophecies used by the OVers to state their case against traditional Christianity.

I think OV'ers can trust the Bible and the words of the prophets more than anyone reading. As it might appear the verses that I say didn't come to pass is final - cut and dry, there is always that twist that we adhere to from Jeremiah. I explained it to Lee that God said he would repent from his proclamations depending on the actions of the people for which the proclamations were declared.

Just like Jonah proclaimed 40 days till the destruction of Nineveh and it didn't come to pass, so can it happen else where.

One more small point, while I may have to freshen up on this a bit, I believe that scripture adds more to this clause in Deut 18. I seem to remember that prophets were to be tested based on short term predictions or signs before they were to be trusted for longer term predictions. And if that short term prediction did not come to pass, it would be known he was not the real deal as Deut 18 says.

P.S.
RobE, I wish to submit that we move forward with this debate. It seems obvious that you believe that freewill and a future knowledge of God are possible. And I, as to all the logic I can muster, cannot disagree more. If we have nothing new to add, I think that we should let this item in the debate fall to the wayside. You have your reasons for thinking what you think, and I have mine.

I tried very hard to bring all logical reasoning to explain in every aspect why I disagree, understanding fully why you believe as you do. If the logic in this post does not cause you to even question your views, I must say, I will never be able to show you the logic. I am doing the best I can to do this, but that may not be enough.

Have you ever had a thought or an idea that is difficult to vocalize? I am in such a situation when I try to explain to you why the knowledge of the future and the ability of freewill to exist fail. I think this is because I see so many contradictions in the thought, and so much circular reasoning that I don't know where to start to attack it.

It is like me trying to teach my wife to paint. I know how to do it, I show her what I am doing... but words just don't work when it comes to such matters.

Anyway, I hope that at least you can somewhat see what I am trying to say. My fear is that if by now you are unswayed by my points (and considering my being unswayed by your points), I fear that we will just continue to bump heads and end up no where.

Perhaps a different strategy is called for? After all we are trying to make since of something that we are debating about, and use that as evidence for the debate. Where has that taken us so far? Well, to me I proved my evidence, and to you, you proved yours. So we are nowhere. Perhaps starting on a ground that takes out our personal opinions on the workings of freewill? Easier said than done...

If you wish to continue this line of thought, I will honor that. But I am going to have to find a good way to articulate my thoughts. I just ask your patience in this. However if agree to disagree and move on, I would honor that also. Perhaps we can come back to this once one of us starts to win the debate just for fun?

The ball is in your court RobE.

bling

Patman, thanks for your comments.

My point of the posting on prophecy is to show Christians in general have problems with questionable answers of prophecy, no matter what view you have. I have gone up against many ideas on the college campus and do not find debating to be the answer to converting the unbeliever which you are not. One on one talking with scripture, about their real issues of the unbeliever and giving real personnel long term solutions has worked for me. I am using this site to sharpen my ideas on the O.V. which until August, I was not aware of, (I try to avoid brotherhood debates or literature and really deal more with young people and poorly educated). I got involved in this because even with a master degree in Chemistry, I was not familiar with other logical alternatives to Einstein’s theory of relativity, which is another discussion and something I am working on with scientist (and not this group.)

Patman , back to the subject. You give thoughtful answers, which is great, and all I ask for. You have created some changes in my thinking but not real agreement with your thinking. I used Genesis 1 as our starting point, since God started there and there is really no going back from there. I may be tied up this weekend, but will read what you say. Thank you again.

RobE

Patman said:
RobE, I know this is what you believe, and if that's all there were to it, I could see your point. It is like me watching Stargate for the 5th time. I am not responsible for Ra' being evil just because I know the end of the movie.
Which is true only if I didn't write the movie. If I wrote the movie, created the characters, then I could say that I was the one who made Ra' kill Daniel Jackson's wife.

Patman said:
I know you don't see life as if it were a script. I have read and understood your point that you think God knows the future as one who just understands. You think that God, while knowing the future, gave man freewill, and we are responsible for our own choices.

But so far, I am not seeing an answer to the problem I see with this view. If God knew the future when he created man, he knew that the particular design he used would result in a sinful man without fail. I know you say that there were probably a quazi-billi-kazillion options where sin was certain to happen sooner or later among freewill men, I guess that means you think he chose the best design, so to say?

The best design for his purpose.

Patman said:
You may not see it, but the idea of looking into the future means everything has a destiny.

Do you have a destiny?

Patman said:
It doesn't matter if man sinned or not. If God looked into the future he would know how not to make man, so that the nerves in his brain would not come to the very conclusion that would permit sin in the world, thus giving man a hand in his own destruction.

The question here is why did God make man? It appears to me you would have to be able to answer this question before you make the above statement. Also, not all men will be destroyed. I wonder why God seems to desire certain outcomes if He doesn't know the future. What's the big question here? What purpose would He have to make a creation that was fallable(could fall). He made the angels, who resided in his presence, yet some of them fell. Why did they fall? Why did He make them if He knew they would fall? Why would He give them a choice? Couldn't He make them so there was no way they could fail or would that make them into the robots you spoke of in your earlier post. To create them free, for what purpose did He do this? If you know the answer to this question then you'd know the purpose, plan, or whatever you want to call it; of the Creator.

The problem here is we can't foresee the end, so it doesn't make sense to us. We can't even understand all of the natural world, let alone the supernatural. He made it. Don't you think He can understand it whether He knows the future or not? Let me ask you, if He doesn't have some plan, purpose, foresight; why didn't he wipe Adam out and start over as soon as Adam repented?

Patman said:
What if he checked the order and found it was going to be used to fix i40? Then he makes the TNT with the special mixture and sends it out, and on the way down the shipment is stopped, the truck stolen, and tragically the TNT was used to kill 500 people, would Joe be responsible? Absolute not. He made the TNT in such a way that it would be powerful for i40, not for the evil the terrorist did, as the previous example stated.

If Joe was everywhere and knew everything in the present and was there when the truck was stolen, and while the plans were being made, and at the detonation; then would Joe be responsible even though He didn't know the TNT wasn't going to I-40?

Patman said:
Now what about a god who knows the future? He makes man, knowing that this particular design will lead to a world consumed with sin. Not only that, he knew all would sin. And not only that, anything is possible for God, so it was possible to make things so they would turn out different.

Robots, again?

Patman said:
The consequences of his creation would have been on his mind through out the entire creation process, "When I give Adam a type B personality, it will be the factor that makes him eat of the tree." I believe a loving God would have used this knowledge to his advantage, and created man differently.

I think I already know your answer to this. What about free will? God gave us freewill. But if God knows the future, he knows every possible domino effect that will happen as a result of his creation. Thus, because God created the world the way he did, he created its domino effect. That means there really is no free will.

God's infallible foreknowledge cannot force upon man unavoidable coercion, for the simple reason that it is at its base nothing else than the eternal vision of the future historical actuality. God foresees the activity of a man precisely as that individual is willing to shape it.

Patman said:
Even if God does give Adam freewill while knowing his future, he already knows the choices Adam will make as a result of everything God laid out. And he would know, perfectly and exactly, what things to do to guild his freewill to do the right thing. And he would have done them so that he would not be setting the dominos up for destruction.

Robots, again?

Patman said:
RobE, this is only one the many problems I have with God knowing the future. Any way you or I spin this, I always come to the conclusion that God set the domino's to fall in the way they have, meaning every sin that ever happened, every good thing, and every thing else that ever happened are all a result of God doing making it the way it is, knowing ahead of time exactly what sins he was causing.

He didn't cause it....He foresaw it.

Patman said:
If God does not know the future, he cannot be certain that sin will come. If he designed man in such a way that there was no programing, i.e. that he was free,

He was free, but this didn't diminish God's ability to see what His creation would do. Just because the creation miscalculated why do you think God did? If He didn't know the future then God's hope was shattered and His expectations were thwarted, right?

Patman said:
God's hands are truly clean if that man falls to sin because God did everything that he could to prevent it without stopping it.

Except making a man who was incapable of sin. A better design. Man, mark II.

You defeat yourself here pointing out He could have stopped it. Why didn't He put an angel to guard the tree of knowledge? Why was the tree there if He didn't know what evil was?

Patman said:
You said a while back that a god who does not know the future would still be responsible for sin.

I pointed out a while back that a god who does not know the future would still be responsible for sin using your brand of logic. There's no difference. The logic you use to show that God isn't responsible for sin because of free will applies to God if He knows the future. Doesn't it? Honestly?

patman said:
And now you say in Rule 1 that "God is not responsible for sin whether he knows the future or not."

I still say the same thing I've always said. I know with all the posts it might appear differently, but I invite you to look back at my posts and judge for yourself. If I gave a different impression then I'm sorry.

patman said:
Do you really think that? Every logical end tells me that if God knows the future, he would use this knowledge in such a way that the world would have been created and, shaped afterwards, so perfectly that no sin would exist. Man could still have freewill, though God would know exactly what to and not to do that would cause that will to choose the wrong thing because he saw ahead of time what would happen. While man was given the choice to sin, his choice would always result in right, making freewill more of a token than real money.

Why not start over if He had a bad start. More people were killed in the flood than would have been killed in the garden. Again, I assert He has a purpose that's beyond us.

Patman said:
It seems to me that any way you cut it, God's knowledge of the future is impossible so long as we have freewill.

I think OV'ers can trust the Bible and the words of the prophets more than anyone reading. As it might appear the verses that I say didn't come to pass is final - cut and dry, there is always that twist that we adhere to from Jeremiah. I explained it to Lee that God said he would repent from his proclamations depending on the actions of the people for which the proclamations were declared.

Just like Jonah proclaimed 40 days till the destruction of Nineveh and it didn't come to pass, so can it happen else where.

We use the same logic to explain prophecies that didn't come out. Why are we arguing our agreements. Even Lee accepts God's Grace overcoming his judgements.

Let's talk about something else for the time being. I hope you understand how logically foresight doesn't create responsiblity. The difference between the traditional Christian view and Calvinism is drawn on this line. It's the difference between deism and Christianity. I know that many who believe they're Calvinists wouldn't agree with the logical outcomes of sin authoring.

Again let me re-post my view:

God's infallible foreknowledge cannot force upon man unavoidable coercion, for the simple reason that it is at its base nothing else than the eternal vision of the future historical actuality. God foresees the activity of a man precisely as that individual is willing to shape it.

Now, onward.....

I wonder how you felt about my reply to Clete's last post?

Also, I wanted to thank Bling for bringing up one of my future arguments about the bible being infallible in context, but lacking in content. What do you say?

Before the end, we're going to have to think about the Trinity and how God's different personalities relate to one another. You thought foresight was a hard issue.

I appreciate your considerations,

RobE, Rob Mauldin
a.k.a. Robbie as a child, Rob Mauldin to Bob Enyart, Rob Wishbone to others, and just Wishbone to my friends.

I'll keep my future posts as small as you give me to reply to.

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Lee: I agree that this verse (Dt. 18:18) says clearly that God cannot be wrong about a prediction. The OV is therefore incorrect to hold that he can be.

Clete: The open view does not hold that God can be wrong.
But should we say he was right, then, when God (as the OV tells us) changes his mind?

If he is always right in his plans and decisions, he need never change his mind.

Clete: You quoted my statement about what the Scriptural test of a prophet is, where is it in there that God might be wrong?
If what he said "does not take place or come true" is the text, and the OV holds that what God says unconditionally may not happen sometimes, it may not come true.

I could mention this quote from Pat, as well: "... it is without doubt an example how one thing was said to happen, and yet another thing happened instead."

Here I am arguing with Pat about this very subject. Should you be refuting him? Has he strayed from Open Theism?!

Lee: But how is this possible, according to the Open View? With the OV interpretation of Jer. 18?

Clete: I don't see a problem because the "unless you repent" should be inferred by the context.
Then we have "I will not change my mind unless I change my mind." Thus he really need not have said "I will not change my mind" at all, the statement was really conditional.

Psalm 110:4 The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."

This also is uncertain?

Pat: Tyre remains standing and the war stops so long as Tyre accepts Babylon rule.
So Neb conquered Tyre, and there are accounts which say many people left before then, and presumably took their treasure with them.

But when the very same chapter that claims that Nebuchadnezzar will destroy Tyre also claims that Nebuchadnezzar would receive his plunder from Tyre...
But "they will plunder your wealth" (Eze. 26:12) could refer to "many nations," this need not mean Neb.

If you think Egypt under Necho was utterly destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, that would mean there would be no more Pharaoh's in Egypt. But Jeremiah talks about Hophra( Jeremiah 44:30), who was Pharaoh 6 years after Necho.
I would tend to think that Pharaoh Hophra might even be meant, though, as the one to be conquered by Neb, though:

Jeremiah 44:30 This is what the Lord says: 'I am going to hand Pharaoh Hophra king of Egypt over to his enemies who seek his life, just as I handed Zedekiah king of Judah over to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, the enemy who was seeking his life.'

And about Israel taking warning from Egypt being defeated, well, when Neb took all the land Pharaoh had had in Israel before, they probably would have been warned!

Therefore, all the Prophecies against Necho's Egypt being utterly destroyed and going into captivity had not come to pass because Egypt continued to be.
Well, why was that? Was God unable to conquer this country of Egypt? If so, I shall be on a search for a stronger God. But again, it does seem that the start of the 40 years of being conquered and scattered (again, not made Babylonian captives) starts after Necho. Neb could have conquered them and taken away plunder before they were conquered and scattered.

Your case is just not conclusive, Pat, we both have possible views here that could be correct, and I'm not going to stand up and say that because we have seen no such record, this didn't happen. What sort of records do we have of Neb's conquests? How much is there? Is it extensive enough that we should expect to see this listed?

I'm not going to say there was no 9/11 terrorist attack, because I kept no newspaper or magazine article about this, though I do think it was an important event. Not all events people think are important are kept by them in a permanent record...

When you said Nebuchadnezzar didn't receive his reward was different from him not destroying Tyre, you obviously didn't read the entire prophecy before you said that. Because It did say he would receive wages, too!
From Tyre though? I read of Neb receiving wages from Egypt, because he did not receive them from Tyre, but maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Blessings,
Lee

RobE

lee_merrill said:
Hi everyone,

But should we say he was right, then, when God (as the OV tells us) changes his mind?

If he is always right in his plans and decisions, he need never change his mind.

If what he said "does not take place or come true" is the text, and the OV holds that what God says unconditionally may not happen sometimes, it may not come true.

I could mention this quote from Pat, as well: "... it is without doubt an example how one thing was said to happen, and yet another thing happened instead."

Here I am arguing with Pat about this very subject. Should you be refuting him? Has he strayed from Open Theism?!

Then we have "I will not change my mind unless I change my mind." Thus he really need not have said "I will not change my mind" at all, the statement was really conditional.

Blessings,
Lee

Lee,

I think that the answer here from the OV is that He's not mistaken, He just changed his mind. It's only a mistake if He says 'I'll not change my mind' and then it's not a mistake because He's just changed his mind. In other words if one were to change their mind about changing their mind then their mind would be changed. There's no right or wrong in changing an ever changing mind only in changing a mind that can't be changed, right? :confused:

I hope you can change your mind about changing your mind about mind changing.
:kookoo:

Thanks for pointing out the change(Ha, Ha!)

RobE
p.s. I'm just having fun. Reminds me of the Time<--->Patience comment before. I've been so serious in my thoughts about this subject that I needed to have a little fun. No insult intended to anyone. I think I might be changing my mind about submitting this post, so I need to do it now. Bye. In Him.

RobE

RobE

An 'Open View' Challenge

An 'Open View' Challenge

I challenge anyone who believes God does not know the future to:

A: Explain to me why it matters when God finds out that a sin will occur makes his culpability any greater or lesser.

An Example:

Patman said:
Perhaps I can explain it with this: TNT has a good side and a bad side. It can plow roads, it makes foundations for buildings, and so on... It also has a dark side. It can be used in acts of terrorism such that innocent people die from it.

Lets suppose JOE made TNT. His TNT has a special mixture to make it stronger than others. Joe gets an order to make a batch. As he start to make it, he discovers that the order will be shipped to terrorists in NY City and used to blow up a building, but he didn't care. He makes it anyway, he even makes it with his special mixture, knowing ahead of time that his TNT would not be used for good; not even one stick was going to be used for good. After he ships it, a week later 500 are killed because of the work of his hands. Do you suppose that Joe is in any way responsible for those lives lost? Joe didn't push the "boom" button, but he made his TNT knowing it would be used to kill innocent people. And he made it in such a way that it would be more powerful to boot!

What if Joe didn't know? What if he checked the order and found it was going to be used to fix i40? Then he makes the TNT with the special mixture and sends it out, and on the way down the shipment is stopped, the truck stolen, and tragically the TNT was used to kill 500 people, would Joe be responsible? Absolute not. He made the TNT in such a way that it would be powerful for i40, not for the evil the terrorist did, as the previous example stated.

Now, in the above example a 1. foreknowing God sent TNT out knowing that it would be used for evil and the 2. temporal God sent his TNT out and was suprised what happened, right? When did God[2] figure out what it was going to be used for? When they made their plans, when they put together the bomb? Couldn't He have made the timer on the bomb not go off? Couldn't God[1] or God[2] stopped it by choosing another action? If your answer is yes then: Doesn't God[1] and God[2] have the same justification in not stopping it?

Challenge B:

Why was the tree of knowledge in the Garden?

Patman said:

My Challenge,

RobE

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
RobE said:
I challenge anyone who believes God does not know the future to:

A: Explain to me why it matters when God finds out that a sin will occur makes his culpability any greater or lesser.
For one to be culpable one must be free to do or to do otherwise.

If God knows my action in advance I have no ability to do otherwise and thus I am not free and am therefore not culpable for that action.

Now, in the above example a 1. foreknowing God sent TNT out knowing that it would be used for evil and the 2. temporal God sent his TNT out and was suprised what happened, right?
Wrong.
Expecting something to happen and even accurately predicting it is not the same as knowing that it will in fact happen. In other words, the possibility that TNT would not be used for evil was a real one, although exceedingly unlikely. Further knowing that something will be used for evil by evil people is a very general statement so you could probably say with some accuracy that God knew that much for sure, but saying that God knew precisely who would perform the evil act and what that specific act would be is wrong. Such detail is predictable perhaps, but it is not knowable.

When did God[2] figure out what it was going to be used for? When they made their plans, when they put together the bomb? Couldn't He have made the timer on the bomb not go off? Couldn't God[1] or God[2] stopped it by choosing another action? If your answer is yes then: Doesn't God[1] and God[2] have the same justification in not stopping it?
If God wanted to stop all the evil in the world He certainly could do so and indeed will do so in His own time and when He does all the evil deeds in the world will be dealt with justly and completely. The reason why He stays His hand of judgment is related to the answer to your next "challenge".

Challenge B:

Why was the tree of knowledge in the Garden?
It was placed in the Garden as a way out. God put it there to give man a choice to make because He loved His creation and wanted for that creature to fulfill its purpose which was to return that love to God. But without volitional choice, love is impossible and so God had to give man an opportunity to reject Him, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was that opportunity.
And it is this choice that we make which answers your question above about why God allows evil. If God did not allow for rebellion then He would render love impossible as well which would end the whole purpose of our having been created to begin with. Love triumphs over evil and mercy over judgment and thus it is profitable to allow evil to continue for a time but not forever and so rest assured, as I said above, God will visit justice upon those who reject Him and do evil.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.