Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Soulman
Quip:

Part of the Christian credo is to share the faith.

Sharing the faith -- this is quite the noble and benevolent goal. Yet, such"sharing" throughout history, has demonstrated the antithisis of benevolence toward the non-believer.

I contend that Christians, Muslims..etc proselytize their particular belief in the interest of the belief not the unbeliever.

Atheists seem more interested in picking fights.

If by "picking fights" you mean testing the logical veracity of the Christian (or otherwise) claim, then yes we are interested in "fighting" for a rational view of the world.

Lastly, Every belief (or non-belief) naturally fears it's refutation by an opposing belief -- In other words, no one wants to discover their world-view is irrelevant and outmoded especially in the face of an alternate view. So, save the pious "sharing of the faith" propaganda for the congregation, it gives them the numinous radiance of self-rightousness.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Re: Re: Re: Questions for Atheists....

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
we will have an invested interest and reason for engaging atheists and caring about what other people believe in.

Yes, much invested interest!!!

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Charismata
quip I would suggest rereading my post or taking a course in reading comprehension because you completely missed the point.

Circumvention via ad hom now!?!

Your crafty ;)

PureX

What is somewhat paradoxical about your expressed sentiment is the fact that you seem "absolutely" sure that "absolutism" is dangerous. Kind of a contradradiction, yes?
C'mon, Dude. You're really reaching on this one.

It's a standard come-back, I have found, to simply accuse the accuser of the accusation itself when one has no better response. It's a tactic that goes nowhere but helps distract from the issue, I guess. My post asserted no absolutes, and in fact it began by my saying I am agnostic. It was merely pointing out the inherant danger of absolutist thinking.

People say that as long as they "absolutely" believe in those high and fine God-given moral imparatives they will avoid the usual pogroms that go with absolutist thinking, but history shows us that it never works out that way. All this ever really does is become the high and fine God-given moral justification for the pogroms themselves. More people have been oppressed, abused, tortured, murdered, robbed, beaten and raped in the name of God, morality, and the victim's own good than ever were for satan, atheism, or relativity.

Men who can't admit they don't know, when in fact they really don't know, are lying to themselves and to others. Truth, reality, and even faith become their enemy in their effort to protect their pretense of knowing. They end up being at war with the reality of their own humanity, and by extension, everyone else's. It's a road that can only lead to self-destruction. The more intently one holds on to this lie, the more violent one will become in his effort to maintain it.

Absolutism is just human ego running amok.

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by PureX
PureX - I thought your post had some very good points. Of course, this is just my relative and subjective opinion on your relative and subjective opinion... but I think that's good enough for me. :) I have a presupposition that says that if you think there is no way you can be wrong, then you are wrong. That I'm almost certain of. ;)

Flipper

Scrimshaw wrote:

Post #1120 of 1155

I have often wonder what the Atheist's end game is. From what I can see - they have none. They're belief system leads to total meaninglessness. If atheism is true, why do atheists bother debating? Why do they bother caring about what other people think or believe?

If atheism is true, it would be irrelevant whether or not people believe in God, or in any other myth for that matter.

Meaninglessness is very relative. I expect you have no compunction squashing ants, or spraying their nests with Raid. Not a big deal to you, a pretty massive deal to the ants and their nest. It all, of course, depends on your frame of reference (as Bob is now found of saying).

So, in a grand universal 'so-far-off-the-human-scale-of-distance-magnitude-and-time-it's-ridiculous' sense, you're absolutely right. It is meaningless. Yes, we have an objective reality but it is a tiny fragment of time, that's not even the crest of an vast and unseen electromagnetic wave smeared across huge distances.

But, as it happens, we don't live our lives like that. We live them in a span that seems comparatively long to us - when we're young at least - but is actually scarcely a flicker. We don't live them at the scale of lightyears and galaxies, but in a hubbub of interaction with other humans, some familiar to us, many not.

So, in the grander scheme, your point is correct. However, your conclusion is not, for reasons that we will explore.

Even if it were, this argument is a poor one. Assume atheism to be true, for a moment, would it make the truth any less true just because you don't like it and you don't care for its consequences? It might make it less valuable if the trade-offs were unconscionable, but it says nothing about its truthfulness. This is a bad mistake that creationists often make regarding Darwin and those who misinterpreted his work later - it seems to imply that you should avoid possible truthes if they make you uncomfortable, or if they inspire barbarians.

I disagree. Find more solid ground for criticism. And I certainly disagree with the following:

Does it really matter if someone murders another human?? Does the universe care whether or not one set of molecules (a human) cancels out another? Does "premature" death really matter when death itself is inevitable?

It matters to other humans. Quite a lot, actually. Most of us will know no more than our 40-80 years on this planet and our lives will be entirely defined by our interactions with others who think and feel as we do.

Empathy for others - the ability to try to put yourselves in their shoes - is not constrained by doctrine, nor is it the preserve of the religious.

What I believe, and it is an understanding I came to later in life, is that it is our nature to be first self-interested and mostly absorbed in achieving our own goals. In many cases, such goals may be to the detriment of other people travelling their own arcs through life.

If this life is all we have, and if we could see better how sometimes our actions to can have dramatic impacts on the lives of other people just like ourselves, then we might treat each other a bit differently. If someone could see how acts of selfishness or cruelty might mar or leave lasting scars on the life of another; the only life they will ever have, then perhaps they might choose to live differently. You don't need to be a theistic to share this view. In fact, you might appreciate the value of human life more because you understand how fragile and short-lived it really is.

OEJ wrote:

Because deep down inside they know that God is real, and they hate being reminded of it. I think on a psychological level, they believe if they can get everybody to turn their backs on God, that He'll somehow go away.

Of course, I expect virtually atheist on the board to deny this, but that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Of course, you realize I could make a similar argument about theists, but it would be equally unfounded and just as unfair a generalization. I would not presume to think it true, but I suppose that's the difference between me and an absolutist such as yourself.

I don't get much insight into "deep down" (heck, does anyone?), but intellectually theism really doesn't make sense to me. Sure, I can understand why it is appealing, and why it might make sense to others, but it doesn't ring true with what little I have gleaned from the learning of others and my own experience.

Also, perhaps you're new to the internet and debating? If not, then by now you should know that the rate of Damascene conversions through the argumentation of others is miniscule. I have better things to do with my time than persuade other people around to my way of thinking. If you're happy with what you believe, and it's not going to mess with my life, then great. Good for you. Happiness in this life is an important thing.

I've spent enough time reading and participating in on-line debates about everything to know that it's hardly likely I will talk anyone into abandoning that most cherished and dearly held piece of glass, their personal world view. If someone does, it's because they were striking out intellectually on their own anyway, or perhaps they were at a vulnerable moment in their lives (in which case, they generally turn to religion, not atheism).

Really, life is too short to bother with winning converts. Atheists are a minority, and I expect we always will be a minority. I'm fairly certain that atheism will not make most people much happier or more fulfilled.

No, believe as you wish. Stay off the lawn of good science, keep government out of the lives of the people, I'm happy.

I do enjoy a good debate or a good argument, though. It keeps me on my toes, offers new areas of thought and learning to explore, and allows me to test my opinions and ideas in an often hostile environment, which is usually the best place to find out where they break.

Last edited:

heusdens

Actually, most theists believe that humans possess a spiritual apsect to their existence as well.

If that means we are more then just our atoms, I think you are right. Both the whole is more as it's parts, but also the parts belonging to a whole, are different from parts not belonging to the whole. A DNA molecule outside of it's natural environment, is not the same as the DNA molecule residing in the cell nucleus, even if it contains the same atoms. Such a molecule acts entirely different, and therefore you can not claim it's the same.

But if our very existence is arbitrary, so is anything we care about, including caring about ourselves.

I don't agree, since (for the majority of manhood) that is not what we observe our behaviour to be.

You're missing the point. It is irrelevant what caused us to care about our survival. Our survival itself would be arbitrary, meaningless. Our survival would be POINTLESS because what is the point of surviving if your life inevitably ends in death anyway?? Why spend your whole life trying to avoid what is inevitably going to happen anyway. (Death) What an utterly futile waste of time; trying to survive when surviving is an impossible task to acheive. The fact is, survival would be irrelevant because our existence would be irrelvant. Our existence would be no more important or meaningful than that of an interstellar gas cloud.

Then I think you missed the point. If that was the case, manhood would already have gone extinct. Our biological nature provide us guidelines for our survival. Our feelings of happiness or misery determine what behaviour makes us feel good and what makes us feel bad, and for most people, they strive for happiness.

You are missing the point of what 3,2 billion years of evoultion did to our species. When we look around we can see that our species is the most evolved, even when not all of our organs are the best organs found in nature.
When we look back and see where we are now, you can not escape from caring about what so many billions of years of evolution and human development brought us, to be what we are now. And the ultimate goal of humans is freedom, to live in a environment in which our human goals can be fulfilled.

Wrong. The argument exposes that if there is no higher power that gives meaning to existence, and if our existence is the arbitrary by-product of a cosmic accident, then there is no point in living, arguing, debating, or caring about anything whatsoever. If all we are is merely another collection of molecules in a hostile universe, then we would have no logical reason to care about anything. Sure, you may say we can be puppets of our instincts and biological chemicals, like the rest of the animal kingdom, but the existence of our elaborate consciousness and self-awareness would never allows us to act as mere puppets - and be content. Our conscious intelligence overrides our instincts.

The rest of the universe cares for nothing at all, so if all we are is an arbitrary component of the universe, why should we care about anything either?

I don't think that our lives are arbitrary. At least not TO US.
And further I don't think, that you realy mean that.
In my opinion most people don't have to be convinced about these issues, and if we just observe behaviour of people, you don't find evidence for the fact that our lives would just be "arbitrary".

The question is then: why do you assume that it should be the case that all of material reality, including the fact we are living in that, is irrelevant? What makes you think it does?

Or, humans are nothing but an invention of a deity. :think:

While this thought might be "helpfull" to some, I could not escape thinking of what invented that deity then. :think:

All you're doing now is restating atheistic assumptions, not justifying or explaining atheism's end game. My post was about atheism's end game. Your response failed to give any meaningful answers to any of the questions I raised in my first post.

I think your post just shows your prejudice towards atheism, and neither reflect truly on what being human actually is like.
Your defense on theism is defended on the following reasoning:
1. If atheism is right, then human lives would just be arbitrary
2. Humans lives are not arbitrary
3. Therefore theism is right

Assumption 2 is I think correct, for the reasons I already mentioned. If a species would exist not taking care about it's own existence and survival, nature would already have let that species go extinct. So the fact that we exists, means that we had to be caring about our own survival.

However, I do not agree with assumption 1. It shows nothing but prejudice against the atheist point of view.
If you need those wrong assumption for defending your own viewpoints, then that is it, but it realy is not an argument pro theism or against atheism, in fact I think you do not realy understand what atheist actually think.

I can not think about a deity, who "created" the matter, time and space, cause this then would have had to happen at a moment, when there was no time, at a place where there was no space, and the universe would have been made from nothing at all.
This Deity would have had to reside then in no time and no space, which for me means, that it has no independend existence. This does not contradict the fact that deities can be hold to "exist", but that form of existence is entirely within our minds, and not outside of it.

Apart from the human mind (and perhaps some other intelligent species) I don't think that deities exist. That's my point.

While being an atheist and materialist, I however don't say that I can not understand the viewpoint of theism. I do understand it myself, I do know why people are tended to think that there must have been a deity.
And the issue on hand which brought me to this knowledge, resides within my own thinking, and concentrates on the issue of how being and thinking are interrelated.

The issue is this, is as you stated, the whole of the material world would be an arbitrary thing, if it realy would not matter wether there was a world, or not, then one could ask: why is there a world (a universe, a reality) in the first place, instead of nothing at all?

Think about that! :think: :think: :think:

As I digged into this question, my thinking went as follows. Think about anything that we know to exist, or that could exist, and in your thinking, assume that that would not exist. No people, no animals, no plants, no oceans, no land, no mountains, no earth, no moon, no sun, no planets no stars, no galaxies.... etc. etc.
After concentrating on that issue, you will arrive at a point of total darkness, a sort of total emptyness, a dark nothing, a void where no atoms, light, particles or fields exist.
But even that is not "nothing" because still time and space exist, and ..... me thinking that!

How could I get rid in my thinking of me thinking/imaginging about a "non-existing" world?????

Fact is: I could not. I can never imagine completely a world which is not even there, cause at least it would contain me thinking that thought.

And the meaning of this is as follows. Assuming that the world could as well be non-existing, brings me to the conclusion that that would also erase me from existence.
I can not help but to care about my own existence, which then for me means that it is an unpleasant idea to think that nothing whatsoever (including myself) does not exist.

So as to the issue wether or not it is important that there is a material world, I can definately say, that I do care, because without a material world, nothing would be there, not even me, and I do care about my own existence, and so it does matter to me, there is a material reality in the first place!

Last edited:

tenkeeper

For their heads will swell
With the knowledge of man
And i can tell you
This is very small
But they will fall
On their education quite hard
For they will lapse
Into an education trance
And they thought,
No chance were they wrong.

PureX

Value and meaning are characteristics ascribed by we human beings to whatever we feel has value and meaning to us. All human beings do it, and we each do it according to our own nature. For "Scrimshaw", value and meaning are found in his conception of God, and so without his conception of God, he believes that he would find no value or meaning in his life. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to understand that his conception of what has value and meaning is not universal. This is because he is an absolutist, and this is the fatal flaw of absolutist thinking. And the result of this flaw is that he presumes that like himself, ANYONE who does not have his conception of God must then be bereft of value and meaning in their lives.

This is an example of why I believe that absolutism is a dangerous and unhealthy path for human beings to take. When a human being decides that his own world view is the "absolute truth", he essentially invalidates the ideas, values, morals, beliefs and purposes of ANYONE who does not agree with his own absolutist world view. He is essentially erasing thier uniqueness and their humanity from his own consideration, and as a result no longer finds it necessary or appropriate to be considerate of them.

Nothing good will come of such a position. We see this scenario often on these boards, where the weapons are only words, and the violence they imply is only rhetorical. But God help us all if any real power comes to those who can't possibly be wrong, in their own minds, and who have already dismissed and dehumanized anyone who might disagree with them!

Last edited:

Charismata

Originally posted by heusdens
I think this ain't valid reasoning. Events are linked together through chains of causes and effects. The cause and effect chain has no limit on either side. Therefore there is no begin to the causality chain. All the chains of all the events in the universe, therefore form eternal chains of causes and effects, without begin or end.

Where do you get the idea that "the cause and effect chain has no limit on either side"?

FYI the laws of physics and the current paradiagm in cosmology point to the universe having a beginning.

Please by all means show us where and how the cause and effect chain as you put it has no limitation on either side. It's your assertion...let's see the syllogism.

Don't you understand the complete and utter absurdity of arguing for an actual infinite in our universe?

Time cannot logically infinitely regress.

Think about it for a second. If time infinitely regressed that would mean an actual number of infinite temporal events in the past would have had to occur for us to be having this conversation right now. Is infinity a quantifiable number? Of course not.

You are arguing for an absurdity. Just as is everyone who holds your position.

Originally posted by quip
Circumvention via ad hom now!?!

Your crafty
quip in my example you are the antagonist not the apathetic...get it? That is the analogy. That is the point of the post. Is english not your first language?

And it's "you're" not "your". Crafty I must be.:bannana:

tenkeeper

Purex, you are a very passionate soul, with very passionate words that cause very passionate responses, of this you can be
absolutely sure. I appreciate your heart and mind. I know the examples our world and history have produced are but counterfiets
of what the 'true' Christian walk is supposed to be, and so it is very understandable why you have reached the conclusions you have expressed. Just the political reality of supposed 'Christianity' is filled with violence, greed and lust and fear. Is it any wonder why many have turned to alternative belief systems? The examples that have been set since the inception of Christianity are poor ones indeed and in direct opposion and contradition to what Jesus Christ taught.
All of mankinds methods of religion, philosophy, government and science and education have left the world in a poor state, truly, it gets worse. Of this i am 'absolutely' sure, because i have the absolutel 'proof' of what is all around you and me! Yet, i am not a defeatest for i am absolutely sure that the power of God can straighten out this mess that man has created. No matter how often man has watered down His Holy Word, i believe He will fulfill all of His prophecy that He has so graciously shared with us.

BlueChild

Zakath's Post #4

Zakath's Post #4

While I think Bob Enyart's 3rd post was his weakest, I think Zakath's 4th post was his strongest. It was well-written, not tinged with any annoying and unnecessary emotion or defensiveness.

I think Enyart could have been more humorous, if nothing else, in his last one. I will be very interested to see how he responds to Zakath's pretty "plain and simple" logical points in #4.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Zakath's Marathon Run

Zakath's Marathon Run

Zakath :eek: is not still knocked out and crumpled up in his pool of blood :dead: he is running :dog: for the door. The latest equivocation for truth: "for the purposes of this discussion" Zakath :eek: has one or two escape hatches on every post to try to get away from that persistant truth - that truth does exist. :bang:

You would think this would be so embarrassing :eek: for the Athiests,:dead: but they just continue on as if ignoring, :yawn: ducking, :coffee: dodging, :kookoo: and running :dog:are normal activies in thier daily lives. :devil:

That's my 2 cents, :chuckle: and while I do enjoy watching Enyart :first: pound away on the athiest position,:bang: I really hope some of you anti-God-ers :dead: would really read what he is saying with an open mind and honestly answer the questions. :thumb: Seems like its all about throwing up a straw man and running :dog: away with you guys. :devil:

:cheers:

Last edited:

Scrimshaw

Originally posted by PureX

It's a standard come-back, I have found, to simply accuse the accuser of the accusation itself when one has no better response.

But no better response was necessary. You made absolute truth statements about absolutism.

It was merely pointing out the inherant danger of absolutist thinking.

And that is absolute, no? If it isn't, then why are you calling the danger "inherent"? And no, it is not absolutist thinking that is dangerous. What is dangerous is the *ideas* that people may become absolutist about. Certain ideas can be dangerous, regardless of whether one believes they are relatively true or absolutely true.

Men who can't admit they don't know, when in fact they really don't know, are lying to themselves and to others.

Relativism is a self-contradicting system of thought, as you just demonstrated with that statement. You pretend your are a relativist, and then go on to make absolute statements about others, like you just did above.

Truth, reality, and even faith become their enemy in their effort to protect their pretense of knowing.

And this is something that you "know" - absolutely??

They end up being at war with the reality of their own humanity, and by extension, everyone else's. It's a road that can only lead to self-destruction. The more intently one holds on to this lie, the more violent one will become in his effort to maintain it.

So you think it is a "lie"? A lie is distortion of truth, but in your relativistic worldview, truth is relative, and therefore, so are all "lies". Nothing is really inherently true or false according to your worldview. It is only our personal perception of truth or lies, and your perception is no more valid or "more true" than anyone elses.

Absolutism is just human ego running amok.

Are you're "absolutely" sure that is so? It appears that relatism is *logic* run amok. And I'm absolutely sure of that. ;)

Last edited:

heusdens

Originally posted by Charismata
Where do you get the idea that "the cause and effect chain has no limit on either side"?

Because
1) all events are a cause and an effect at the same time
what we call "cause" or "effect" just determines the causal relationship we inspect.
2) effects are events that are conscequences of previous events which are causes.

So the idea of a "first cause" therefore denotes a very rare event in which there was an effect (the event we called "first cause" is for the reasons I have mentioned at the same time also an effect) without a cause.

This clearly contradicts causality. Therefore there is no "begin" to causality. Moreover, since there is causality now, it existed into the infinite past and will exist into the infinite future, and from our present day knowledge of physics, we have no indication that at any other time or other place this happens in any other way.
And further, causality itself is not an effect (or cause), and can therefore not have a cause (or effect), in the case you might ponder the question as to what "caused" causality....

FYI the laws of physics and the current paradiagm in cosmology point to the universe having a beginning.

FYI this is an incorrect vision on the current paradigm, and not all physicists/cosmologist accept the Hawking-Turok thesis or simliar hypothesis ("begin of time concept"). Physics does not know how to make physical laws from nothing. Nothing is just a language concept and does not denote a physical reality.

Ever digged into other cosmological theories, like for instance the theory of open / eternal inflation?

Please by all means show us where and how the cause and effect chain as you put it has no limitation on either side. It's your assertion...let's see the syllogism.

Cause and effect just denote that matter is in eternal change/motion. Matter and motion/change can not be seperated, cause nowhere we can detect matter without motion or motion without matter.
Matter transforms from one physical form into another physical form throughout all of time and at all of space and at all scales.
All material forms should be considered to be of finite spatio-temporal extend

Don't you understand the complete and utter absurdity of arguing for an actual infinite in our universe?

No, because it is not absurd.
Matter is infinite in the sense that all material forms, which need to be taken as existing in a finite spatio-temporal extend, and which there fore have a "begin" and "end" in time (like the sun or the earth as specific material forms have a definite begin and end in time) evolve from previous material forms and into posterior material forms. Material forms don't pop up out of nothing or dissolve into nothing.

Time cannot logically infinitely regress.

Think about it for a second. If time infinitely regressed that would mean an actual number of infinite temporal events in the past would have had to occur for us to be having this conversation right now. Is infinity a quantifiable number? Of course not.

You are arguing for an absurdity. Just as is everyone who holds your position.

I think not, instead it is your reasoning which is absurd. Where did you start counting in the first place?

We are now at an arbirary point of the time line. My position is that this time line does not have an end on either side.

Your argument is this. An actual infinite amount of time would have to have elapsed before this "now" happened. Your reasoning is absurd in that you "assume" time must have had a begin (since you claim that you started counting somewhere), and if time is infinite, then there must have been an infinite amount of time which elapsed since then.

Your reasoning is incorrect, since time does not have a begin, so you can not start counting at the begin. You can only start counting from an equally arbitrary point on the timeline as the point which denotes "now". And if you measure the amount of time from that "arbitrary point" at which you start counting to now (wether it be in the past or the present) you will always find a finite amount of time!
But that is what you said you had performed: counting from the "start" of time to "now" having counted an infinite amount of time. I tell you, wherever you start counting, you will always leave behind you an infinite amount of time, and thus the task you had to perform or said you had performed ("counting" the infinite).

The absurdity of the infinite is that it is infinite from the outside while being composed of only finites from the inside.
We can never conceive of infinites without contradiction.

Here is a paragraph of the Anti-Duhring by Friedrich Engels dealing with exactly this issue : Philosophy of Nature: Time and Space.

Further: since you do not agree on the fact that time as such does not have a begin or end, the only position you can hold is that of finite time. Which means that time had a beginning cq. time will come to an end.

Then tell me, from what physcial point of view you can demonstrate these absurd phenomena of a beginning of time or end of time?
Outside of time, the world would be in a self-equal state (that is: no change whatsoever would occur) and for all we know of matter this means that matter would be inexistent.

So this drops down then that some magic occured. Matter appearing out of nowhere for no appearant reason.
Just tell me, when you see an act of an illusionist, in which a rabit pops out of seemingly nowhere into a place which just before was empty, and even when you were very impressed out how this trick was done, and don't know how it was done, do you actually belief that the rabit appeared from nowhere, or do you assume it was a trick?

quip in my example you are the antagonist not the apathetic...get it? That is the analogy. That is the point of the post. Is english not your first language?

And it's "you're" not "your". Crafty I must be.:bannana:

Me humbly sorry for any typing errors.

Last edited:

PureX

This whole "first cause" argument is like being the spots on one of the dominos in one of those huge elaborate domino arrangements that people do so they can knock over the first domino and then watch all the consecutive dominos fall. We recognize that we are spots on a domino in a long line of dominoes, and that the domino preceeding us effects us, and in turn causes us to effect the next domino. But when we look back up the line of falling dominos, we can only see so far. At the very limit of our vision is that first domino in the line, but we can't see what knocked it over.

We just can't see beyond it, so we simply can't know, yet, what is that "first cause". We try studying the way the dominos fall, hoping that will give us some clues. We experiment with logic and reason hoping that will allow us to "see" beyond the usual limits of our vision. We speculate, and fantasize, and even argue on occasion, but in the end, all we know is that we just don't know what knocked over that first domino. In fact, we can't even be sure it IS the frist domino. It might be just the first domino of a color and design that we are able to recognize, and that there is actually a whole long chain of dominos before that one that is simply of a color or design that we are not able to perceive. Who knows? Almost anything could be possible beyond the limits of what is possible for us to recognize.

The truth is that for we humans, the first cause is a mystery. We can call the mystery "God" if we want to, or we can call it a natural dilemma, or whatever, but to us it remains a mystery. That's a fact. So, since we can't have an aswer to this mystery, at least not for now, what will we do about this?

I think this is the question that really matters: not "What is the "first cause"?", but "How am I going to respond to my inability to know what the "first cause" is?". Will I respond by simply pretending I know what it is, and then arguing with and dismissing anyone who disagrees with me? Will I respond by spending my life studying the dominos, trying to find out? Will I simply dismiss the question, relax, and let someone else worry about it? Will I claim it unknowable and call those who keep trying to find out, fools?

The wonderful thing about man's ignorance regarding these essential questions of our own existence, is that it is through this very ignorance that we define ourselves. Our characters as individual beings are expressions of our reaction to the fact of our own ignorance. Some of us deny it, some of us embrace it, some of us even celebrate and promote it. How we react is in effect who we are. So which of these are you and I? Is this really who we want to be? These are important questions, but to get to the point where we can ask ourselves these questions, we first have to acknowledge the fact of our own ignorance. Absolutism denies us this ability, and so leads us into willful ignorance; not only of the nature of existence, but of even the nature of our own humanity.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Is Zakath ever going to make a case for his own arguments?

Will he ever hint at how everything came into existence without supernatural help?

Isn't this supposed to be a debate? I cannot imagine fellow atheists being very happy with Zakath's post #4.

de·bate (dĭ-bat')

1. To engage in argument by discussing opposing points

Where are the opposing points? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.