Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Originally posted by PureX
No, people eventually realized that some characteristics of human behavior are good for humanity collectively, and not just individually, while others are not.

Huh? So, again...where did moral attributes come from? Did they appear one day in someone's mind or environment?

We humans are each different, and so on an individual scale, good and evil are very subjective.

In terms of the reality of the conscience, no. All humans possess a conscience--an awareness of good & evil. Point me to a society where this isn't the case...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
The MKAA, as presented, applies to the deity presented as Pastor Enyart's God so it applies to all humans affected by his deity. Since he alleges that his deity has sovereignty over all the human race, it would appear that the argument would apply to all humans.

There is of course, a small percentage of humans who are cognitively incapable of understanding or acting upon moral codes. Examples of those kinds of peope would be very young children, the severely mentally retarded, extereme psychotics, and those with advanced senile dementia. For them, the argument is moot since they cannot comprehend or act upon the issues involved.

P.S. - did anyone ever fall for your "chair" gambit? ;)

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
BOOM!

BOOM!

BOOM! :dead: Somebody call Zakath :eek: a medic! And throw in some towels so we can clean up the blood!

:cheers:

RogerB

Originally posted by Zakath
... based upon what? :confused:

Why didn't you ask Flipper the same thing about:

I am sufficiently confident that the probability of the existence of any God, let alone the Christian God, is low enough to not lose any sleep over the prospect of losing this wager. Besides, you are asking me to believe in something that I genuinely do not think exists.

RogerB

Re: BOOM!

Re: BOOM!

Originally posted by CRASH
BOOM! :dead: Somebody call Zakath :eek: a medic! And throw in some towels so we can clean up the blood!

:cheers:

OH YEAH! :bannana: :jump: :bannana: :jump: :bannana: :jump: :bannana: :jump: :bannana: :jump: :bannana:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Why didn't you ask Flipper the same thing about...
I have prior knowledge of his position so I do not need to ask him; nor does he claim to be "absolutely certain".

Would you answer my origional question? Upon what do you base your absolute certainty?

RogerB

Originally posted by Zakath
I have prior knowledge of his position so I do not need to ask him; nor does he claim to be "absolutely certain".

Yet he's willing to risk eternity on something he's not absolutely certain about....and you buy that, no questions asked?

Would you answer my origional question? Upon what do you base your absolute certainty?

First hand experience. Bob's whomping of you is merely icing on the cake.

Flipper

RogerB:

Yet he's willing to risk eternity on something he's not absolutely certain about....and you buy that, no questions asked?

I can't claim absolute certainty because I don't have absolute knowledge. However, as we are all discussing profitably here, there are reasonable causes to postulate a universe without the necessity of a God (which raises its own difficult questions).

Why I should accept the Christian position over any other religious belief is not clear in your question, unless it is because the punishment for not doing so is far more heinous than in any other religion...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First hand experience. Bob's whomping of you is merely icing on the cake.

Your experience is completely subjective and as a human, you can be misled and deluded. Therefore your absolute certainty is proof only to you. History is littered with examples of people who were absolutely certain of things they later turned out to be wrong about.

If Zakath has created reasonable doubt, and Bob has failed to show anything beyond circumstantial evidence and assertion, then the existence of God is neither proved nor disproved. Obviously, an absolutist may never accept that there are grounds for reasonable doubt, but I understand that most believers are plagued by 2nd thoughts on occasion.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Sure. It's his life.

In my case, I am reasonably certain, as contrasted with "absolutely certain", that the Christian deity does not exist. There are no guarantees in life. We all "places our bets and takes our chances." It seems that those who earnestly desire certainty like to bet on religion...

First hand experience....
How so?

Charismata

Mike check...is this thing on?

Mike check...is this thing on?

Originally posted by quip
Of course you realize your "eternal god" is also "described" as being the initial creator and subsequent first cause of our universe. To support this 'first cause-designer' argument, it is logically declared that: Every existent thing must have a first cause, yet if this is the case, God (in order to exist)must have a first cause (even if this cause is God himself), therefor God cannot be eternal, sorry, can't (logically) have it both ways.

&

But I ask how does something come from nothing? For something to exist it therefore must be subject to a law that states it must have a cause. Seem God has violated his own law!!

Again please find out more about the Kalam Cosmological Argument.

Only things that begin to exist need a cause. God is eternal. He has no beginning and no end. You are in serious error because you still don't understand what the christian argues.

There is no logical contradiction.

The kalam cosmological argument is simply the old first cause cosmological argument based on impossibility of an infinite temporal regress of events. It may be schematized:

1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause of its existence.
2. The universe began to exist.
2.1 Argument based on the impossibility of an actual infinite:
2.11 An actual infinite cannot exist.
2.12 An infinite temporal regress of events is an actual infinite.
2.13 Therefore, an infinite temporal regress of events cannot exist.
2.2 Argument based on the impossibility of the formation of an actual infinite by successive addition:
2.21 A collection formed by successive addition cannot be actually infinite.
2.22 The temporal series of past events is a collection formed by successive addition.
2.23 Therefore, the temporal series of past events cannot be actually infinite.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.

Since the universe is the temporal series of events, the proof that that series had a beginning is taken to show that the universe began to exist. This conclusion has received strong empirical support from cosmological research in astronomy and astrophysics during the last fifty years. Since the universe began to exist a finite time ago, it must have been brought into being by a reality extra se.

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Mike check...is this thing on?

Re: Mike check...is this thing on?

Originally posted by Charismata
Only things that begin to exist need a cause. God is eternal. He has no beginning and no end. You are in serious error because you still don't understand what the christian argues.

There is no logical contradiction.
The Christian position is merely assertion. It is only necessary that the Christian God existed prior to the formation of the universe. What evidence do you have to indicate that the Christian God is without beginning?

RogerB

In my case, I am reasonably certain, as contrasted with "absolutely certain", that the Christian deity does not exist. There are no guarantees in life. We all "places our bets and takes our chances." It seems that those who earnestly desire certainty like to bet on religion...

....while those who love sin, are selfish and arrogant like to bet on....uh, "nothingness".

Status
Not open for further replies.