Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightSon

Originally posted by Eireann
Already, you got me. I made an absolute statement that I shouldn't have made. It is my belief and opinion. However, unless you can prove that a) God exists and b) that he did directly dictate the Bible (as opposed to merely inspiring its works through Creation), then you or anyone else will have an extremely hard time demonstrating that my belief on the matter is incorrect.

It is my belief that there is a proof for God's existence. You are correct that such a demonstration would be hard. The proof comes at a bit of a cost; you have to stop breathing.

The following makes me sound smug; I wish it were not so.

Given: an afterlife will be possible if and only if God exists.....

If you are correct and God does not exist,
we will never know it.

If I am correct and God does exist,
we will both know it.

These are mutually exclusive propositions.

I take no comfort in the fact that your demonstration is drawing closer every day.

Spartin

Some of you obviously think this thing is over before it has even started. To those people, you should actually read the posts. Do not look with a hyper critical view on one and blind faith in the other. Personally I am agnostic, but that doesn't deter me from seeing the validity of either persons post. Discussions like this aren't suppose to be a contest that my brother can beat up your brother. These types of discussions are for enlightenment. Regardless if you believe in them or not. It gives you the ability to empathetic toward other views. Just read them and think about them. This is an interesting discussion and some really good posts in these 32 pages so far. Looking for more of it.

Spartin

Eireann

Originally posted by LightSon
It is my belief that there is a proof for God's existence. You are correct that such a demonstration would be hard. The proof comes at a bit of a cost; you have to stop breathing.

we will never know it.

we will both know it.

I take no comfort in the fact that your demonstration is drawing closer every day.
I've never argued that God doesn't exist. I believe in God. I simply refuse to bow to anyone's human dogma. I'm an agnostic, not an atheist.

PureX

Originally posted by LightSon

we will never know it.

we will both know it.

Why do you presume that there can be no "afterlife" unless there is a God?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I have found the comments and interplay on this thread very interesting; demonstating that one of the best features here at TOL is that persons from a variety of backgrounds from atheist to pantheists can ask and debate questions in a (relatively ;) ) non-threatening environment.

It can be a great educational tool if you take advantage of it. :D

Let me clarify that from my point of view, my debate with Pastor Enyart is not intended to be a "knockout" but the conclusion to a discussion about evidences and beliefs we began almost three years ago and were never able to complete. I'm glad he's finally found the time to participate. :thumb:

We have a number of posts left till the end and I am planning to present some more formal logical statements, some of which you may have seen before, to see how a student of open-view theology responds to them.:think:

Keep up the great interaction here, it's encouraging to know people are reading along... :D

tenkeeper

illusion

illusion

I hear the machiavellian chimes
In back of the stage
And they rage quite loud
But the crowd never suspects
The manipulation of all of the seats

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
I thought Zakath's response was pretty lame. He cites physical laws that don't even exist. Parting with reality so soon in the game is gonna hurt him in this debate, I feel.
That's alright, not many people believed the germ theory of disease or Einstein's math for quite a while after both were first publicized.

As I said in the post, time (and further research) will tell. :)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by novice
Oh, and one more thing, why couldn't Zakath have asked Bob some questions that were relevant to the debate? :rolleyes:
Patience, grasshopper, patience! ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Zakath's post no. 2

Re: Zakath's post no. 2

Originally posted by frugalmom
....stepping out of lurk mode here......

Zakath seemed to need to use the hesaidthis and hesaidthat alot instead of talking directly to Mr. Enyart. This is characteristic of one who is feeling threatened in a debate; in other words ya'll come help me now because I'm losing type thing...
Not necessarily. It's also a style of writing.

Also he acts dumb on basic things like "truth". Where is his dictionary when he needs it????
After my previous experiences on boards like this one, it's easier for all concerned if the proposer of a question defines the terms rather than wasting posts trying to play "guess the definition".

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Black Holes: Steven Hawking

Re: Black Holes: Steven Hawking

Originally posted by Tye Porter
...He sited the COBE studies. The CMB, WMAP, etc, his references that he used to support his assumption that the universe was self creating, or "Just happened into existense without cause", all point to the opposite of his assumptions. The Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe that had more precise results that COBE, did not confirm the Big Bang, in fact, the CMB results do not conform to the Laws of the Big Bang. If an event were to be, of it's own accord, would it not need to comply with scientific Law?
To which "scientific law" do you refer? I'd be glad to forward your observation to one of my sources and see what they have to say...

The CMB results from the WMAP show that matter is the known universe does not agree with the mass calculated from the Big Bang theory. The numbers from your COBE studies are near 10 years old, and have been proven false. What has been actually observed in the large scale homogeneity and isotopes of the universe sets the critical density to less than 1, which makes it a closed universe, and also shows the temps to be 2.73 kelvins, less than a third of that which was "predicted" by the Big Bang theory, and Laws. Hell, half the theories are based on "Dark Matter". Almost like Einstein, you need a fudge factor to make your "theories" fit the reality of the universe. You need more faith and imagination to support your theories, than Creationists need for God.
Don't all theories currently in existence (including biblical creation) require a bit of fudging to deal with the fact that we don't have enough data yet? If not, perhaps you could enlighten us on one or more that do not...

One last note, in his quote of Steven Hawking's Wave Function Universe Theory, note that Hawking calls it a theory, yet Zakath and Quentin Smith (in 1996) call it a "LAW"? Even Hawking said it was merely a theory, and that was back in the mid 90's. [/color]
Hey, I don't write 'em, I merely cite 'em. Let the chips (bovine or otherwise :chuckle: ) fall where they may...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Zakath please dont begin to argue against aboslutes by appealling to conditions

Re: Zakath please dont begin to argue against aboslutes by appealling to conditions

Originally posted by Valmoon
...Bob will be as unable to "prove" that moral absolutes exist as he will be "proving" god exists. Just dont get sidetracked dealing with an issue that Bob can easily bypass.

I would be more interested hearing an argument against god's existence such as a problem of evil argument.
Thanks for the warning. :D

Hang in there, you may get to see several such arguments yet... :)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Uh-Oh!!!

Re: Uh-Oh!!!

Originally posted by Tye Porter
How are we going to prove the existence of God, to somebody who cannot know Him?We KNOW He exists, we hear His voice, but Zakath has turned from Him, maybe never knew His voice.
How convenient. The atheist cannot be converted because he is deaf to voices in your head...

C'mon, Tye Porter, can't you do better than that old gambit? :doh:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Shimei
Atheists and absolutes do not mix. The only absolute Zakath dealt with is he absolutely did not answer any of Bob’s questions. Dodge the question or change the subject, the only absolutes in ANY atheist’s worldview.
And your comment shows that you are absolutely incapable of reading what's on the screen in front of you.

Just because I didn't play Pastor Enyart's multiple choice game doesn't mean I didn't answer the questions. You'll have to dig a bit and actually read the responses...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by temple 2000
I think it is fairly obvious that the existenceof a deity cannot be proven by any rational arguments or empirical evidence.
IIRC, this applies particularly your flavor of deity, T2K.

God cannot be described but He/She can be experienced.
Apparently, by what I've been reading here recently, only by believing faith, which in an atheist is in short supply. ;)

Zak, it must be terrible to be locked up in one's own mind.........
Where else would I be? Tripping around the cosmos on the wings of an angel? :chuckle:

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Sorry if I sound like a late-comer, but I've been on-and-off for a few days, and unable to keep up with the speed of these discussions. So rather than trying to locate where i left off, I'll just start again.

Zakath's response to Enyart is almost exactly what I would have written. I already pointed out that Enyart's first post was merely an argument from ignorance (Bob can't explain "X", therefore, God must have done it...). Several others agree with me. Except one person, who alleges that Enyart is being "inductive". Induction is not presuming a conclusion without proof, which is what Enyart did. Induction is when you take a series of facts, then figure out how they are related, and then conclude new facts accurately based on observations. For example, if A + B = C, and we know that c=5, through induction, we can conclude that b=5. That is induction. What Bob did was say "I cannot explain A, B, or C, therefore, God did it." -- NOT INDUCTION!

Zakath also pointed out what I already alluded to -- there are plenty of theories about the origin of life and the universe. Just because no single theory seems to be THE SMOKING GUN, doesn't mean that all of those theories are useless. 500 years ago, people just like Bob Enyart were trying to tell Galileo that Coppernicus's heliocentric universe was impossible, because the Bible and Ptolomey told us everything we needed to know. Bob Enyart is repeating the types of arguments that the church made back then -- all scientists are wrong, and the Bible is right.

Unfortunately, all Bob (And the old Roman Catholic Church) can do is assert. He offers no scientific proof -- just blind assertions. Most importantly, I know how Bob will respond to Zakath. He will likely blow off all of the material that Zakath produced from scientists, and start a new branch of discussion.

I think I should try answering Bob's questions myself, for discussion here, as I represent the atheist point of view, myself.

(1) Does Truth Exist
Yes and No. We need to discuss just what truth is. Truth is a value judgement. When someone makes a statement that is "correct", "not false", or "very accurate in describing the facts", we call that truth. Truth is NOT an entity. You cannot pick up a bucket of truth, or mail truth to someone. Truth is nothing more than our description of facts that prove true.

(2) does absolute moral right and wrong exist
Obviously not -- not even for Christians. Virtually every "absolute" law in the Bible has exceptions to it. Against abortion or infanticide? Just read the parts of the Bible where God tells the Hebrews to murder women and children, and especially to cut open pregnant women to spill their unborn infants onto the rocks. If there is an absolute right and wrong, it is not described in the Bible. Right and wrong are CONDITIONAL and DETERMINED BY SOCIETY. I have yet to see anyone prove otherwise.

Thus my third question is multiple choice:
a) Do you believe the natural universe has existed forever exerting work and burning as a perpetual motion machine; or,
b) Has the universe created itself, so to speak, i.e., come into existence apart from a supernatural creator; or,
c) Was it created by an external source outside of the natural universe, i.e., a supernatural Creator; or,
d) Is there some other conceivable account for its origins?

My answer is "e) NONE OF THE ABOVE." Although the current evidence suggests an extremely old universe with a "big bang" event some 15-20 billion years in the past (or 12-15, depending on which theories prove true) , we have no way of peering far enough into the past to see beyond the big bang. The current evidence is all inconclusive. Any one of the theories that Bob provides in his multiple choices could be correct, but the way Bob wrote them falls short of describing what scientists actualyl say about the issue. I would point to Hawking for all questions about the origin of the universe. But it's all tentative. I do not rest my entire philosophy on whether or not the universe came into being one way or the other. Such questions are diversionary, in my opinion. If we stick with strictly scientific models of the universe, NONE OF THEM WILL POINT TO THE SUPERNATURAL.

Which leads me to my last point -- Science cannot do anything with the supernatural, except tell us when a supernatural explanation for a natural phenomena is either unneccesary or untrue. There is no "scientific proof" of the supernatural. There is only scientific proof of the falsity of supernatural explanations. If science cannot adequately explain a given phenomena, it is foolish to presume the supernatural explanation, because historically, supernatural explanations have tended to be disproven when more scientific knowledge is found.

Stratnerd

Scrim..

you're saying we've tested all possible models for the origin of life? that's nearly impossible!

Not unless the supernatural explanation is terminally flawed and cannot theoretically account for the phenomenon it is attempting to explain. That's hasn't happened.
there's no way to determine if it is "terminally flawed" since we have no idea how it operates. and since there are a near-infinite number of alternative supernatural explanations (n gods at work) there can hardly be any support for your pet explanation.

You still haven't answered my question: since you are a slave to induction and we've never seen superanatural creation why wouldn't you induce that it doesn't exist? You claim that since we don't have fossil evidence of cellular precursors they don't exist so how do you weasel yourself out of saying that supernatural creation too, given the same observation, doesn't exist.

Creation and evolution are closely related terms.

I thought we we talking about the "poof" creation in Biblical terms, which is obviously much different than evolution.

When I sit down to build a model airplane, it requires an evolution process. The model airplane does not just "pop" into existence. It is created through an evolutionary creation process.
sorry but no. that is, only if you use evolution in the most loosely of terms. to me, evolution involves organism that reproduce themselves, have a genetic system, etc.

As is true with ALL progressive creative phases, you can see a history of evolution.
what are the limits of evolution that it is precluded and you must infer a supernatural agent at work, that also happens, by chance, to work a natural system such that the two are hardly discernable or at all?

Wrong. They both contain the fundamental attribute of design, which is - numerous integrated parts that work together in order to perform as specific, purposeful FUNCTION. Since biological life and tricycles both contain that attribute of design, my analogy was perfectly sound.
great but the "integrated parts" is where the similarity ends, a property that may or may not be designed by an intelligent being (humans, the intelligent being, creates those things for human beings, that is, the parts functions for that intelligent being, since organisms have parts that function for themselves, why would we not conclude, being slaves to induction, that organisms were not created by an intelligent being?). That's the problem with being a slave to induction (esp. using systems that have analogous not equivalent properties), you can too easily pick and choose those observations that support your particular pet theory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do you know how to do science?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Produce a pre-cell lifeform and I'll be more than happy to "do the science" for you.

science just isn't the testing of models... it is the generation and testing of models. how do you think science progresses?

PureX

But Psycho Dave, for some reason, "believers" aren't allowed to say "I don't know". I guess that's the whole point of being a "believer": so that one can "know" what isn't known, or may not be knowable. Is truth absolute? Does God exist? Why are we here? Some folks just can't let these questions remain a mystery. It's too frightening. So they imagine answers to them, and then "believe" in their answers. And as long as they can believe they know, they can "know" God and truth and why they exist, and feel comforted in their presumed knowledge.

I feel kind of sorry for Bob. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice fellow, but he wastes so much energy trying to prop up his illusions, when if he could just accept his own human limitations, and say "I don't know", he could apply all that energy to something more positive. After all, he wouldn't have to give up trusting in his God, or even his religion. Not knowing doesn't mean we can't still have faith. In fact, I would say that faith begins right at the point when we say "I don't know, anymore". But he could let go of having to defend his pretenses, and having to attack anyone who presents a contrary view. He could get out of his perpetual "war mode" and have some peace.

Just a thought.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally from Eireann's web site, quoted by RogerB
...by the grace and will of the Goddess, our religion is persevering and growing by leaps and bounds!
Eireann, if you truly belief in the Goddess, why are you rooting for Zakath as he claims that no god or goddess (including the Wiccan goddess) exists?

Would you debate an atheist over whether the Goddess exists? Upon what evidence do you believe in the Goddess?

Last edited:

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Purex wrote:
But Psycho Dave, for some reason, "believers" aren't allowed to say "I don't know".
Really? I'll allow them to say "I dont' know". At least it's more honest than proclaiming to have a monopoly on "truth".
I guess that's the whole point of being a "believer": so that one can "know" what isn't known, or may not be knowable.
Well, there is a long established tradition of authority figures knowing what's best for everyone else. Perhaps Bob and others are just carrying on the tradition.
Is truth absolute? Does God exist? Why are we here? Some folks just can't let these questions remain a mystery. It's too frightening. So they imagine answers to them, and then "believe" in their answers. And as long as they can believe they know, they can "know" God and truth and why they exist, and feel comforted in their presumed knowledge.
and (like J.R. Bob Dobbs says) they can relax in the safety of their own delusions.
I feel kind of sorry for Bob. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice fellow,
I dunno. He believes in beating kids to discepline them. Apparently God told him to do that, so I guess he had no choice.
but he wastes so much energy trying to prop up his illusions, when if he could just accept his own human limitations, and say "I don't know", he could apply all that energy to something more positive.
That's an excellent point. I often feel that discussing things like these issues is, in the end, a complete waste of time, because I always continue being atheist, and my opponents always remain whatever they are (Christian, Krishna, Hindu, Islam, new-age), and nothing ever gets resolved or changed. About the only thing enjoyable is when you catch an opponent making an error. Even that loses it's novelty after a while.
After all, he wouldn't have to give up trusting in his God, or even his religion. Not knowing doesn't mean we can't still have faith. In fact, I would say that faith begins right at the point when we say "I don't know, anymore".
Another excellent point. Religion is all about faith. I think that faith has it's place, but that organized religion places that emphasis on the wrong things. Organized religions tell people to have faith in God or in a certain interpretation of a holy book. What people REALLY SHOULD BE DOING, however, is having faith in each other. We need to have more faith in humanity, or at least make an effort to give people a reason to have faith in one another. Those times that strangers help out strangers, the times when people risk their lives to save others, the outpouring of support for others, is what we need to be promoting and exemplifying about humanity -- not blind obedience to absolutist moralities. Morality will come about by acts of good faith -- good faith between one person and another.

The way things are right now, too many believers hold unbelievers with so much contempt that their attempts to reach out to us seem hostile. Hostility towards unbelievers is unnecesary; it gets us nowhere.
But he could let go of having to defend his pretenses, and having to attack anyone who presents a contrary view. He could get out of his perpetual "war mode" and have some peace.
That could be difficult. A large part of the fundamentalist mindset is that they are at war with the world. This goes for all fundamentalists, Christian, Islamic, and other. It is an important part of their belief system that the world is evil, and that anyone who is not a believer is a potential enemy. This belief can be blinding and counter-productive. After all, look at how the rest of the world sees terrorists who are "at war with the world" when they take their ideas to their logical conclusions. Terrorists are universally reviled, except by other terrorists. The war mentality of religious groups only creates more potential terrorists.

I think believers would do better if they approached "the world" (of unbelievers) in good faith instead of the war mentality.

Think of it like this: believers can either see unbelievers as evil monsters that need to be vanquished, or they can see us as little old ladies who need to be helped across the street. I think more positive believer-unbeliever relationships can be made if the latter were the mode of thinking. Nothing is more sickening to me than wishing a stranger no harm, but being met with hostility once the cards (of what I believe) are on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.