Atheists, do you hope you're right?

gcthomas

And these are the questions that science cannot address, because science depends upon that order to function. It cannot explore beyond it. That leaves us with philosophy, and art, and religion: all imagination-based methods of exploration, as opposed to physics-based methods.

Philosophy and art would then be simply exploring the opinions and feelings of people, and not any properties of the actual origin of the universe.

If science can't work out the details of the origin of the universe, then philosophy and art certainly cannot on their own. The question of the beginning is an empirical one, and so the science is an essential component of the solution.

And I don't agree that science requires ordered sequences. Orders are used because that is how the universe appears to function, but any mathematical arrangement of non-time-based relations could be used if that was necessary or productive.

Hedshaker

Clearly you are desperate to shift the burden of proof because you have no evidence.

Perhaps you do not understand what an evidence is. Pity!

That's rich from someone who thinks evidence = bald assertions. Your only evidence to date is the universe. The universe exists there for god-did-it (or whatever?). Talk about pot kettle black.

I don't need contrary evidence until you back up your claims with evidence first and the universe does not back up your claims.
So, how was the universe caused to exist if it could not have caused itself to? You cannot escape from this one because the universe exists and since it could not cause itself to exist, some thing did it and, only something of the "size" of the Primal Cause could have done it. That's an evidence, mother of all evidences, and you won't have a second one until you come down from your high horses and deliver to me your guns.

So where exactly did your Primal Cause come from? You seem to be suggesting that "once" there was this "nothing" and then up popped your Primal Cause, that always existed even though there is no always in "nothing", and poofed the universe by supernatural magic. I have to assume the latter since you don't go into detail about how this Primal Cause might have done it, or what power source it used or where its creation factory is. Just because the universe had a beginning doesn't mean existence also began at the same time. You have been pointed to various hypothesis regarding the formation of the universe that do not suggest the almighty theory of poofism. It is not my purview to produce an alternative, just to show the faults in yours. And boy is yours lacking.

I don't know what caused the universe to exist and neither do you. Wishful thinking is not evidence.

I do, the problem is that you have a neck stiffer than the Rock of Gibraltar. I wonder why so much fear to give in or to find a possibility for me among all your stupid guesses.

Lol! You need to watch that video about the Dunning Krugar effect. You might just learn something, though I doubt it, sadly.

I saw this coming. They usually do. It means desertion from the battle field.

What are you talking about. You attributed to me a phrase I've never used, rightly or wrongly. That's called beating a straw man.

I don't know what caused the Big Bang event and neither do you. The state of pre Big Bang existence is not known by anyone, least of all you.

Don't mind if I don't. I don't care to. It is to me just another of your guesses or hypotheses whatever you like it.

Then you should forward your paper for peer review. A Nobel prize awaits ;)

What you proposes isn't even original. It's a variation of the Kalam God-of-the-gaps argument. You don't know what caused the universe so you rename your god Primal Cause and claim that he did it. Evidence required, Got any?
You yourself is a live evidence for the Primal Cause which I KNOW caused the universe to exist. Evidence? The universe itself. The evidence is before your own eyes but you are too afraid to open them.

And your Primal Cause came from, where again? Oh that's right, it always existed but existence itself couldn't have always existed because that would invalidate the need for a Primal Cause. And we can't have that because you "KNOW"? See Dunning Krugar effect.

Well if your claimed Primal Cause isn't a god then what is it? A smart alien with magic powers?

It is the Entity that caused the universe to exist.

Yet you haven't explained what this entity is/was if not a God. Or are you not aware that the argument you employ here is a variation of the classic Cosmological argument for God. I think you are just fooling yourself.

this mess is what I was referring to. I would have thought that was obvious.

I was not the one who woke up the "mad dog" but you. Now, you have got to have stronger legs than my words to flee. If you can't deliver, the only way out is to ignore.

I'm sorry if you still don't get it. I cannot explain what was meant by "formatting" any clearer.

Desperate as you are to shift the burden of proof, it's not going to happen. No one is denying the presence of the universe. You are the on claim to know its origin so it's your place to back it up with evidence. Clearly you have none or you wouldn't keep trying to shift your burden of proof.

And your place to acknowledge the mother of all evidences I have provided but things have turned bad because of your fear.

And once again the universe is not, in anyway, evidence for your Primal entity thingy, whatever that is if not a god. The universe is evidence for a universe. Evidence for what "caused" would require knowledge regarding pre Big Bang existence of which there is none at this time and all your braying is not going to change that.

Oh it's common sense you are using, is it? Would that be the same common sense that showed us the Sun going around the Earth?

You can take that to the religious people. I am not one of them.

I'm finding it difficult to take you seriously. That comment was referring to your use of the term "common sense". Science does not rely on common sense or intuition. Often in science the evidence is counter intuitive.

The only thing I have learned of you in this dialogue is the strong paranoia atheists have about god or gods. You act worse than Christian missionaries. The more I try to escape them the more their "gods" chase me. You might want to change that tactic next time. Not too good for atheistic credibility.

And there is is finally. When you see how poor your argument is you resort to attacking the person instead. Ad hominem fallacy

From the link

adjective
appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.

Well I see no point in continuing with this. I've already had to repeat myself several times. Have last word if you must. If you think you "KNOW" what is clearly unknown then good for you.

alwight

I actually agree with this observation, and I applaud you for your insight. But I think it's why I tend to feel that the atheists are sticking their heads in the sand, even as they want to disparage those theists who have their heads in the clouds.
Thank you. :)

I suggest that perhaps it is not necessarily atheists but most theists who would be less able to intuit signs of a real but different godly entity, should there be any such signs, since theists are the ones who have invested so much time in their current theistic belief that new ideas would not be particularly welcome.
Call me an ostrich then but I feel that deep thought and navel gazing about a possible spiritual entity may indeed be arguably a cerebral and worthy aim, but probably also ultimately pointless, futile and lacking in evidential empirical grounding.

Jamie Gigliotti

A perceived problem with infinite regression from our end of the time line doesn't somehow magically transform itself into evidence for anyone's favourite notion of "God" because it's an unknown, which is perhaps unknowable, why should it be labelled as a deity?
If this universe is of a finite time then for all we know there is an infinite number of universes and perhaps "gods" too?
Isn't the real problem here one of personal need, simply needing a god to be there, and it may as well be the one of choice rather than of reality?
The primal cause of reality is not "my god" it is simply "unknown".
Our minds tend towards one end because infinity goes nowhere.

Jamie Gigliotti

What you don't seem to be understanding is that atheists are not even hinting at or considering supposing any kind of god entity actually being the primal cause because atheists typically accept that the answer is currently an unknown, even if a god actually did do it. The primal cause argument is a theistic argument for the existence of a god, which usually very quickly becomes a very specific God replete with ancient doctrine and a long list of dos and don'ts.

Which the unknown disprovable posibility of the supernatural supports that there are no true atheists.

noguru

Our minds tend towards one end because infinity goes nowhere.

Eternal (time) is different that infinite (space).

Finite space is as illogical as the infinite if a straight linear logic is used. This is why many cosmologists are investigating the curved space model for the universe.

noguru

Which the unknown undisprovable posibility of the supernatural supports that there are no true atheists.

As an agnostic for 17 years I was never quite bold enough to propose atheism as a certainty. My view was that I was open to a deity, but that I had no real evidence that one existed. Most agnostics are only atheists, in the same way Alwight has pointed out, because they make no positive statement about a deity/deities. Rather than a negative statement, they are neutral.

PureX

Philosophy and art would then be simply exploring the opinions and feelings of people, and not any properties of the actual origin of the universe.
Man! That bias is really intractable! Isn't it.

Philosophy and art have very little to do with 'opinion'. They are both methods of seeking out new ways of perceiving and conceiving our experience of reality, and then sharing them with each other.
If science can't work out the details of the origin of the universe, then philosophy and art certainly cannot on their own.
Why, because your bias tells you that philosophy and art are 'lesser endeavors'? And that they can't possibly arrive at a greater truth than the mechanisms of physics can reveal?
The question of the beginning is an empirical one, and so the science is an essential component of the solution.
Actually, the question of origin is philosophical more than it's anything else. While art is able to explore the 'spiritual essence' of things, that we humans perceive, but that science can't explore or explain.
And I don't agree that science requires ordered sequences. Orders are used because that is how the universe appears to function, but any mathematical arrangement of non-time-based relations could be used if that was necessary or productive.
Math would be different in a different reality? That's a pretty meaningless distinction, don't ya think?

gcthomas

Why, because your bias tells you that philosophy and art are 'lesser endeavors'?

You just love putting words into people's mouths so you can criticise them, don't you? It is simple really, but you missed the meaning. Questions about physical reality are best answered using the correct tool of the physical sciences. I have yet to see what artists call tell me about the conditions a billion billionth of a second after the big bang or make predictions about the cosmic B-mode polarisation, which when measured will tell us something about what preceded the big bang.

Actually , the question of origin is philosophical more than it's anything else.

So, what can you tell me about the cause of the big bang, based on nothing more than your art?

Math would be different in a different reality? That's a pretty meaningless distinction, don't ya think?

If would have been if I said that.

This is the problem when discussing physics with artists - you don't understand how science functions sufficiently to follow comments about mathematical modelling. With a shallow popular conception of the topic at hand it is amazing that you think you know better than everyone else about everything.

PureX

You just love putting words into people's mouths so you can criticise them, don't you? It is simple really, but you missed the meaning. Questions about physical reality are best answered using the correct tool of the physical sciences. I have yet to see what artists call tell me about the conditions a billion billionth of a second after the big bang or make predictions about the cosmic B-mode polarisation, which when measured will tell us something about what preceded the big bang.
It doesn't matter what preceded the Big Band, because that's not the question at hand. The question at hand is the origin of existence. Not the origin of the universe. Whatever existed before the Big Bang, if anything, is just another kind of universe.

What we're asking about is a state beyond the existential: a transcendental state. And that's a state science cannot investigate, because science relies on the laws (limitations) of physics.
So, what can you tell me about the cause of the big bang, based on nothing more than your art?
That's not the question at hand.
This is the problem when discussing physics with artists - you don't understand how science functions sufficiently to follow comments about mathematical modelling. With a shallow popular conception of the topic at hand it is amazing that you think you know better than everyone else about everything.
You don't seem to be able to understand that the question of origin isn't a physics question. And it's not going to have a physics answer. It's a metaphysics/transcendental question, requiring a metaphysics/transcendental answer. And science can't go there.

gcthomas

Then you will be unable to provide a convincing argument for anyone. Art cannot answer deep physical questions.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
One man discussed atheists being hooked up to lie detector devices. Not one passed the test truly not believing God (Ro 1:20, 2:15, Ps 19:1, Jas 1:18).

Jamie Gigliotti

Do you think this (over) simplification is accurate, given the evidence we do have?

Just trying to show the seemingly obvious. That everything is not meaningless and we all really do know there must be some cause and reason for existence, even if we can not agree on the cause or reason. Also that the reason or cause must be beyond the material, and thus scientifically undetectable, even if I and others argue that the footprints are evident.

Hedshaker

Then you will be unable to provide a convincing argument for anyone. Art cannot answer deep physical questions.

You're just wasting your time on this. This so called "state beyond the existential: a transcendental state with a little metaphysics thrown in for good measure" means whatever they want it to mean at any given time. You'd be hard pout to get two theologians who could explain what it means in a double blind test :) It would be like TOL mark II watching them argue about it forever.

Philosophy and theology might be fun and all but Clearly the wrong tools for this job. How could they possibly make ground breaking discoveries about the nature of existence by talking it to death? Ridiculous.

They would end up with more opinions than there are asylum seekers trying to enter the UK at the Channel tunnel. Certainly more than they started with. And still they wouldn't be able to find a modicum of agreement. If they could allow themselves to wrong once in a while they might at least have some entertainment value :)

---Science is the poetry of reality--

noguru

You're just wasting your time on this. This so called "state beyond the existential: a transcendental state with a little metaphysics thrown in for good measure" means whatever they want it to mean at any given time. You'd be hard pout to get two theologians who could explain what it means in a double blind test :) It would be like TOL mark II watching them argue about it forever.

Philosophy and theology might be fun and all but Clearly the wrong tools for this job. How could they possibly make ground breaking discoveries about the nature of existence by talking it to death? Ridiculous.

They would end up with more opinions than there are asylum seekers trying to enter the UK at the Channel tunnel. Certainly more than they started with. And still they wouldn't be able to find a modicum of agreement. If they could allow themselves to wrong once in a while they might at least have some entertainment value :)

---Science is the poetry of reality--

Respect for life and accuracy are my two transcendental/metaphysical priorities. You can just call them that and/or use mythology to illustrate them in various stories.