Atheists, do you hope you're right?

Hedshaker

Lee Strobel, lol! You may not be aware of this but Christian apologetics books are written for Christians not Sceptics, since tossers like Lee Strobel make their money selling books to Christians.

But anyway, there was a huge thread on Internet Infidels about Lee Strobal years ago. Suffice to say the consensus among sceptics was, he's a phony.

Oh and, so much for Resurrection claims being unique to Christianity :(

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Lee Strobel, lol! You may not be aware of this but Christian apologetics books are written for Christians not Sceptics, since tossers like Lee Strobel make their money selling books to Christians.
Apologetics is like anything else, there are two sorts of people interested, those who are curious on the point and those who want to sharpen their approach in assisting others who are searching or to defend the faith against anti-theist attempts to demean it.

It's no condemnation of that faith that atheists aren't particularly interested. I wouldn't expect to find interest outside of a genuine agnostic.

But anyway, there was a huge thread on Internet Infidels about Lee Strobal years ago. Suffice to say the consensus among sceptics was, he's a phony.
Oh those darn empiricists and their obvious objective...well, no. I suppose not (not that it keeps them from supposing, apparently).

Oh and, so much for Resurrection claims being unique to Christianity
Of course they aren't, though Christianity is unique among them.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I've never understood why some Christians believe that Jesus helped them find their car keys but will allow innocent babies to suffer. :liberals:

:noway: Car keys are a lesser matter. :plain: Regarding human suffering--is it possible that God has a purpose in it? Is it possible that he would like men to humble themselves before him and repent of their sin? Rom. 8:18; 1 Pet. 4:13

alwight

:noway: Car keys are a lesser matter. :plain:
Yes, a trivial matter was what I intended.

Regarding human suffering--is it possible that God has a purpose in it? Is it possible that he would like men to humble themselves before him and repent of their sin? Rom. 8:18; 1 Pet. 4:13
Strange then that tragedy can apparently afflict even the most pious and humble of us it seems? :liberals:
No doubt their reward will be in heaven, right? :rolleyes:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Apologetics is like anything else, there are two sorts of people interested, those who are curious on the point and those who want to sharpen their approach in assisting others who are searching or to defend the faith against anti-theist attempts to demean it.

You mean like those guys on city street corners with three shells and a pea and/or the ones selling Rolax watches?

rexlunae

Not do you think you're right--do you hope that you are right that there is no God and therefore no ultimate justice in the afterlife?

If I knew of a certainty that there were justice in an afterlife, it would convince me even more that your god is merely your delusion.

I can see the appeal of this idea, that justice will come in the end to all, that the self-righteous will get the final and unavoidable last laugh. But the more I listen to the voices that clamor for this idea, the more certain I am that it is fantasy, and the more relieved I am that I don't have to worry about their prognostications. Perhaps there is a conception of a god who might be just who could pull of real final justice in the end, but if there is, no religion has yet imagined him.

bybee

If I knew of a certainty that there were justice in an afterlife, it would convince me even more that your god is merely your delusion.

I can see the appeal of this idea, that justice will come in the end to all, that the self-righteous will get the final and unavoidable last laugh. But the more I listen to the voices that clamor for this idea, the more certain I am that it is fantasy, and the more relieved I am that I don't have to worry about their prognostications. Perhaps there is a conception of a god who might be just who could pull of real final justice in the end, but if there is, no religion has yet imagined him.

...and yet, in quiet times and places, there is that "still small voice" which says "I am that I am becoming, in you". One is free to
choose.

Hedshaker

:yawn: You've read his book?

Why would I want to waste my precious time on such obvious drivel? If you're a true believer already then you will be naturally drawn to whatever confirmation bias you spot. This is a human failing that we should all be aware of in the same way that we should be careful of how we count hits and quietly blind ourselves to misses, regardless of actual proportions. A point which apologists exploit to the full and one that Strobel in particular is very adept at. It's also why peer review is such an important aspect of the scientific method.

Try reading Strobel (and other apologists) with this in mind and see for yourself, or better yet have a look at what his adversaries have to say. I agree that Christian apologists are not alone using these tactics but boy do they stretch it to the limits

And your best answer to his questions? Queue jeopardy theme (right click, open).

Not sure I see your point in that remark. A bit of childish banter maybe?

Hedshaker

It's no condemnation of that faith that atheists aren't particularly interested. I wouldn't expect to find interest outside of a genuine agnostic.

Sorry Town I have not the time or inclination to get too bogged down on this but I take your point and will be brief.

Oh those darn empiricists and their obvious objective...well, no. I suppose not (not that it keeps them from supposing, apparently).

Your opinion noted :thumb:

Oh and, so much for Resurrection claims being unique to Christianity
Of course they aren't, though Christianity is unique among them.

To believers of course. To sceptics, not so much.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sorry Town I have not the time or inclination to get too bogged down on this but I take your point and will be brief.
Only answering on the points. No need to side bar on anything unless you have the time and inclination...mostly, with this sort of thing I try to respond with a genial enough "no, you're not going to get away with that" sort of nudge/invitation to discourse that can either stand as a general rebuttal or the beginning of a conversation.

Either way I've met my obligation in the moment, so I don't take offense if your interest is t-ball.

Your opinion noted :thumb:
Well, you have to admit there's something funny about people who should be rationalists acting less than on a point. Truth about the inner workings of a man by show of hands?

To believers of course. To sceptics, not so much.
I don't agree. I think you can or should be able to acknowledge any number of important differences in Christianity, with or without agreement on the foundational truth. The Christian resurrection is roughly met in other religions, but not entirely and the differences aren't without importance, contextually.

The same goes for how Christianity meets the nature of man and being. Anyway, don't let me keep you if your inclination is lighter.