Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

glassjester

Not where the law is concerned.

Ever hired a lawyer? :chuckle:

Unfortunately, yes. Quite painful.

But the prevention of pain is not the rationale behind these types of laws.
It's the devaluation of human life. Certain people are considered disposable, according to the law.

First unwanted babies, next the unwanted sick and elderly. Who's up after that?

quip

BANNED
Banned

It's the devaluation of human life. Certain people are considered disposable, according to the law.

Gee wiz...now you're just soapboxing.

Please spare me the maudlin slippery-slope.

glassjester

A rational counter-argument. :up:

There's also the scary fact that points to assisted suicide "rights" being economically motivated.

From https://dredf.org/assisted_suicide/assistedsuicide.html
The cost of the lethal medication generally used for assisted suicide is about $35 to $50, far cheaper than the cost of treatment for most long-term medical conditions. The incentive to save money by denying treatment already poses a significant danger. This danger would be far greater if assisted suicide is legal.

Assisted suicide is likely to accelerate the decline in quality of our health care system. A 1998 study from Georgetown University's Center for Clinical Bioethics underscores the link between profit—driven managed health care and assisted suicide. The research found a strong link between cost—cutting pressure on physicians and their willingness to prescribe lethal drugs to patients, were it legal to do so. The study warns that there must be "a sobering degree of caution in legalizing [assisted suicide] in a medical care environment that is characterized by increasing pressure on physicians to control the cost of care" (Sulmasy et al., 1998).

The deadly impact of legalizing assisted suicide would fall hardest on socially and economically disadvantaged people who have less access to medical resources and who already find themselves discriminated against by the health care system. As Paul Longmore, Professor of History at San Francisco State University and a foremost disability advocate on this subject, has stated, "Poor people, people of color, elderly people, people with chronic or progressive conditions or disabilities, and anyone who is, in fact, terminally ill will find themselves at serious risk" (Longmore, 1999).

Eagles Wings

Okay, but where do you draw the line?
Psalm 39:5-7 (ESV)

5 Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah
6 Surely a man goes about as a shadow!
Surely for nothing[a] they are in turmoil;
man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!
7 “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in you.

The bottom line is that in life and death, God tells the Christian to trust and hope in Him.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

My guess is that the non-terminally ill, mentally ill, and disabled would be next in line for this "right."

yep, and gays would never seek to force you to accomodate them, remember that being called ridiculous when believers said that would happen? Look what happens now all the time.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

My guess is that the non-terminally ill, mentally ill, and disabled would be next in line for this "right."

Does suffering come from God?
Sometimes.
Is that what he wills?
Also sometimes, He allows it for a reason.

I don't believe that.
You believe getting high is ok too, doesn't mean it is.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
which of the many doctors involved would be the one on the killing spree?

Who knows, lets ask these medical professionals talked about in this:

Angel of mercy -Medical professionals will kill their patients for money, for a sense of sadistic pleasure, for a belief that they are "easing" the patient's pain, or simply "because they can." ... An example of a sadistic medical serial killer was Richard Angelo, who was called the "angel of death", or angel of mercy.

Hey why put them in jail, it can be legal!