ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

LightSon

Originally posted by godrulz
I believe in a Pentecostal hermeneutic. Speaking in tongues is for the edification of the believer and the Body and is a normative gift for NT believers, including today.
If it is "normative", then why is it only done in Pentacostal churches? How come I haven't done it? If the Holy Spirit moved me to do it then I would right? Those who spoke in tongues in Acts did it when the Holy Spirit came upon them. They didn't have to start make "noises". I've asked this question of many, and I get the same response, which is simply, one chooses to speak in tongues by making certain sounds, blah, blah. Sorry if this sounds belittling, but that is how I feel today. It all comes acrosss as a dark, weird joke that the Pentacostal church has foisted upon themselves. Further, it causes the legitimate efforts of the church to be ridiculed along with the weirdness of the Pentacostal movement. It is just spooky.

Sorry. I just don't get this. I've prayed about this and asked for it, provided there is any truth in it. I'm still waiting. :(

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me how to pray, if there is any truth in tongues.

Mustard Seed

I promise I will read "The Plot", the Book of Mormon (for Mustard Seed; King David), and the Koran (just because) before I die:)

Wow. That must be divine intervention. I was going to click on another thread entirely and this very post I've quoted popped up. Wow.

Well since none of us know when we'll meet our maker I hope your crackin' on the above commitment!

Mustard Seed

Originally posted by LightSon

The gift of tongues, as with all gifts, is given to edify man. If it is not an uplifting and dignified experiance, if the gift of interpretation is not given with it, then there would be no real reason for God to give it. I'd have to side with Light Son in that the stories of odd noises being made accompanied with other strange, non-edifiying behaviour has the tell-tale signs to me of something that perhapse is not genuinely from God. God does things with the aim of edifying. By their fruits ye shall know them. The fruits of the spirit of God are peace, long suffering, patience, love etc. chaos and confusion are not included.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LightSon

If it is "normative", then why is it only done in Pentacostal churches? How come I haven't done it? If the Holy Spirit moved me to do it then I would right? Those who spoke in tongues in Acts did it when the Holy Spirit came upon them. They didn't have to start make "noises". I've asked this question of many, and I get the same response, which is simply, one chooses to speak in tongues by making certain sounds, blah, blah. Sorry if this sounds belittling, but that is how I feel today. It all comes acrosss as a dark, weird joke that the Pentacostal church has foisted upon themselves. Further, it causes the legitimate efforts of the church to be ridiculed along with the weirdness of the Pentacostal movement. It is just spooky.

Sorry. I just don't get this. I've prayed about this and asked for it, provided there is any truth in it. I'm still waiting. :(

PentEcostal, not Pentacostal.

Tongues crosses all denonimational walls. Most churches have a charismatic movement in them, including Baptist, Anglican, Catholic, etc. It is a Pentecostal distinctive, but is not confined to Assembly of God, etc.

The Holy Spirit 'moves' many to evangelize and pray and give, yet many believers do not obey. They quench and grieve the Spirit. If one is taught that tongues is of the devil, psychological, or past away with the closed canon (rationalization), then they are likely to have barriers and lack of openness.

The first step is to exegete and apply the Word of God. We cannot put a subjective experience above the Word. We also seek the Gift-giver, not the gift. WE speak as the Spirit ENABLES. We have to move our mouths. Repeating after someone or mimicking sounds is fleshly and a counterfeit. Everyone's experience is different. I spoke in tongues a few months after conversion while quietly praying and worshipping in my bedroom. Others are at emotional camp meetings and have someone lay hands on them. The Spirit moves and many start speaking at once, just like in Acts (without human coaching or intervention).

There is a lunatic fringe in the Pentecostal movement. We should not throw the baby out with the bath water if it is legitimate. Revivals often start in the Spirit and end up in the flesh. There is nonsense and winds of doctrine
in the movement, but much is credible.

Spiritual things that are not understood can seem spooky. I did not throw my brain out to become Pentecostal. Society for Pentecostal Studies and famous scholars from Dallas Theological Seminary, Fuller, etc. have received the Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. They realized their dispensationalism was wrong and now understand the Scriptural basis for their new experience.

We cannot muster up the gift. Continue to study the Word, the early Pentecostal movement, scholars like Gordon Fee, etc. Seek God, be open, and He can and will give you this gift for powerful prayer and personal edification.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mustard Seed

Wow. That must be divine intervention. I was going to click on another thread entirely and this very post I've quoted popped up. Wow.

Well since none of us know when we'll meet our maker I hope your crackin' on the above commitment!

I have started it several times. It lacks the authenticity of the Bible. It is hard to get through. I used to start reading the Bible in Genesis and kept quitting also. Once I met the Author of the Book, it came alive and I have read it over and over.

I have told you before I would read the Book of Mormon. I have less credibility trying to reach you for Christ if I have not prayerfully read your standard works first hand.

I trust you are doing well, my friend (but not my brother;)

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mustard Seed

The gift of tongues, as with all gifts, is given to edify man. If it is not an uplifting and dignified experiance, if the gift of interpretation is not given with it, then there would be no real reason for God to give it. I'd have to side with Light Son in that the stories of odd noises being made accompanied with other strange, non-edifiying behaviour has the tell-tale signs to me of something that perhapse is not genuinely from God. God does things with the aim of edifying. By their fruits ye shall know them. The fruits of the spirit of God are peace, long suffering, patience, love etc. chaos and confusion are not included.

I Cor. 12-14

There is a difference between the devotional prayer language where we speak to God in an unknown tongue (our mind is unfruitful; we do not speak to men), and the public exercise of tongues and interpretation for the edification of the Body.

The chaos and confusion is when people mix spirit and flesh. This does not honor God. The counterfeit does not negate the genuine.

The charismata are not a salvific issue. Let us be Christocentric and He will open the gifts of the Spirit to us for His glory and our good.

Mustard Seed

I have started it several times. It lacks the authenticity of the Bible. It is hard to get through. I used to start reading the Bible in Genesis and kept quitting also. Once I met the Author of the Book, it came alive and I have read it over and over.

I have told you before I would read the Book of Mormon. I have less credibility trying to reach you for Christ if I have not prayerfully read your standard works first hand.

A book to help By the Hand of Mormon: The American Scripture that Launched a New World Religion by Terry L. Givens. Gives a history of the book and views from all sides about it.

Mustard Seed

Just fine, brother.

Work treating you okay. I don't know if I could handle the mental strain of your work for very long. May God continue to guide your hand and mind in saving lifes.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Post 1676 This merits a discussion paper. I have had Standford's "Green Letters" books for 25 years but never got around to reading the series. I agree with many of the principles in the post.
I believe that The Complete Green Letters by Stanford is the most important single piece of extra biblical literature that I have ever read. It has had more impact on the actual living of my life than any other single work.
Interestingly, I had read it prior to coming to the Acts 9 view and it glazed my eyes over. I can't really say why this is so because Stanford himself was admittedly against any such "hyper-dispensational" view. He was true blue Acts 2 through and through! (Although inconsistently so, I believe.) I actually wrote him once shortly before his death explaining why his reasons for discarding the Acts 9 position was incorrect but I never got a response. Now I marvel at the incredible arrogance of having written such a letter to a man of his years and expertise. I should have been content to have simply kept my place and learned from him and let the rest go. Oh well, now that he's with Christ, he agrees with me anyway! (Just kidding! ;) ).
Anyway, as I was saying, before I read The Plot, The Green Letters bored the heck out of me, but afterward it came alive (as did the Bible) because I could see the unique message of the Apostle Paul and it's direct application to me as a member of the Body of Christ.

The authors would have divergent views on the exact nature of sanctification and the Christian life. We all talk about being dead to sin and having the life of Christ, but may understand different nuances about these concepts/realities. Pulling quotes out of context to support a particular view does not represent their entire teaching which would conflict in some areas. I would not quibble with any of the quotes that sound good on the surface.
Stanford himself makes clear that many of the authors he quotes haven't written much that is worth reading. In fact he recommended NOT reading anything that Watchman Nee wrote aside from "The Normal Christian Life" (An outstanding book by the way). The rest of Nee's material is really good to start fires with but that about it. The point wasn't to say that all these people agree with Stanford's whole theology but that on this particular point, they got it right and did so in a way he thought worth quoting.

The issues of OSAS, water baptism, charismata, etc. stand on their own evidence. Fitting them into a preconceived system might seem consistent on the surface (even as JW, Mormon, Calvinism can be internally consistent, yet completely wrong), but may not stand up to scrutiny.
I don't know how much scrutiny you want to give it but I can tell you that if you are convinced that there is a problem with it, you will find one. One things for sure, you are indeed entrenched in your own charismatic, ordinance following, salvation maintained by works paradigm. I'm afraid that it will indeed take a miracle to dig you out.

Paul's point about the law is true when it comes to our universal condemnation and justification by faith alone. It does not negate his other teaching elsewhere that exhorts us to right and holy living because we are 'in Him' and not in order to get saved to be in Him (including the principles consistent with the eternal moral law of God...e.g. idol worship, immorality, stealing, anger, etc.).
Man! It is so frustrating how close you come to getting this right! You cannot follow the law godrulz, you cannot do it. You cannot be righteous by following the law because following the law does not make you righteous. You have been saved unto good works to be sure but those good works are not defined by the law! The law doesn't have anything to do with it at all! The law was nailed to the cross. Why oh why would you ever want to take it down from there?
If you want to know how to live the Christian life, I can tell you how in two words. LOVE GOD! That's it. Love God, period. Don't concern yourself with a list of things you can and cannot do. Rules won't work, that's the law which your flesh earnestly desires to be under and so break. Your flesh is about what it can see and feel, hear, touch and experience in various other ways. Faith is not about that, it's about trusting in a loving God who did it all for you. You cannot mix the two, at least not in this dispensation.

I would be interested in your take (pretending Mid-Acts does not exist as a template) on the plausibility or probability of the commentator's views on Gal. 2:7 and James 2. If you did not see Mid-Acts personally, would they be a reasonable exegesis?
Well yes and no. No, it would not be reasonable because it is incorrect but it would be typical and short of having any better explanation I would have accepted it, and did for a long time. But I have always seen the contradiction between Paul and James ever since I was in High School and I've always understood why people like Martin Luther didn't think the book of James belonged in the canon. It was always explained away in the same or similar fashion as your posts have, and I habitually said "okay" and let the issue go.
However, I have always (for as long as I can remember anyway) changed my theological positions anytime a simpler, more eloquent and/or complete explanation came along for any issue. There was a time that I actually thought that Paul Crouch was a pretty incredible man of God if you can believe that! And for a while, back in the 80's, I thought that the World Wide Church of God had all the right answers! Good grief! Could I have been any more wrong?!!! But even to this day, if you asked me whether I thought that those people and their ideas are reasonable, I would probably have to concede that they are from their own perspectives. So, do I think you are a total nut job for not seeing it my way? No, of course not. But do I think you might possibly be right? No, not at all.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I do not know much about Stanford. Sounds worth reading.

"Salvation maintained by works" paradigm...huh? No wonder you are concerned about my beliefs. I am not sure where you get this straw man idea. We are saved by grace through faith and kept by the same person and work of Christ. The question is what is the nature of genuine, saving faith? Is it mere mental assent?

I have stated that love is the issue, not the Law. This is how Jesus summed up the law (love God supremely and others equal to ourselves; the details illustrate this, not contradict it).

What imaginary lists and rules do you think I follow? How would you know? If this list or rules was crucial, I am in big trouble. Not only do I not know what you are talking about, I am sure I am not even close to living up to it.

I do not have a problem with Paul's teachings for myself and the Church. I do not need Enyart or Stanford to make it come alive. Likewise, if the OT Scriptures are profitable for believers ( 2 Tim. 3:16), how much more the Gospels, Acts, Pauline, Johannine, Petrine, etc. writings. You are making a grave mistake to negate non-Pauline writings. I am sure there is a name for this heresy. Paul would have refuted it and commended the other's ministry, not condemned it.

Thankfully, you escaped from Armstrongism. Even more exciting is their shift to a more evangelical, biblical stance.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

I do not know much about Stanford. Sounds worth reading.
Definitely!

"Salvation maintained by works" paradigm...huh? No wonder you are concerned about my beliefs. I am not sure where you get this straw man idea. We are saved by grace through faith and kept by the same person and work of Christ. The question is what is the nature of genuine, saving faith? Is it mere mental assent?
You believe you can lose your salvation, do you not?
How exactly would one go about losing a salvation that they themselves do not maintain if not by failing to follow a set of rules?

I have stated that love is the issue, not the Law. This is how Jesus summed up the law (love God supremely and others equal to ourselves; the details illustrate this, not contradict it).
Yes, as I have observed before, it is not the "what we do" that we disagree on, it is the "how it is accomplished".

What imaginary lists and rules do you think I follow? How would you know? If this list or rules was crucial, I am in big trouble. Not only do I not know what you are talking about, I am sure I am not even close to living up to it.
Do you think good works are REQUIRED of you or not? If you say yes then you have a list of rules.

I do not have a problem with Paul's teachings for myself and the Church. I do not need Enyart or Stanford to make it come alive.
I never meant to suggest otherwise. These writings were a great help to me but that doesn't mean you will have the same experience with them. Enyart never read The Plot before he wrote it, nor did Stanford read the Green Letters prior to understanding the Bible well enough to have written the book. So they are clearly not required reading. I just enjoy standing on the shoulders of giants whenever possible, that's all.

Likewise, if the OT Scriptures are profitable for believers ( 2 Tim. 3:16), how much more the Gospels, Acts, Pauline, Johannine, Petrine, etc. writings. You are making a grave mistake to negate non-Pauline writings. I am sure there is a name for this heresy. Paul would have refuted it and commended the other's ministry, not condemned it.
I do not negate non-Pauline writings! On the contrary, as you have pointed out, ALL Scripture is profitable, including the book of James. Just because I understand why Luther would have believed James not to be correctly part of the cannon, doesn't mean I agree with him. James is extremely profitable when understood in its proper context and like any other portion of Scripture it is extremely devastating when taken out of that context and applied in an inappropriate manner, which practically the entire church is doing and has done for most of its history.

Thankfully, you escaped from Armstrongism. Even more exciting is their shift to a more evangelical, biblical stance.
Yeah, it's difficult to them apart from any other denomination now. They seem to have changed nearly every major belief that they ever held that was significantly different than what one would consider totally normal Christian belief. It astounds me how an organization could transform itself so dramatically without destroying itself completely. Their leadership is to be commended.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Sozo

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Yeah, it's difficult to them apart from any other denomination now. They seem to have changed nearly every major belief that they ever held that was significantly different than what one would consider totally normal Christian belief. It astounds me how an organization could transform itself so dramatically without destroying itself completely. Their leadership is to be commended.
:shocked:

Isn't Omega from that denom?

Didn't they just pass from one form of legalistic doctrine to another?

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Clete and godrulz,

Excellent exchange! Keep up the good work. I am especially interested in two major questions directed at godrulz. Here's to reinforcing those questions.
  1. Can you loose your salvation?

Restated in somewhat common verbiage.
    Can you get "saved" and then sin like the devil (and then die right away) and then end up in heaven?
  2. Are good works required once you are saved?

Can you get "saved" and then sin like the devil (and then die right away) and then end up in heaven?
Godrulz, no offense towards you for however you answer. These are not nilly willy questions, they hit at the very heart and nature of salvation. And there are solid bible reasoning for different answers. If you wish to give a qualified answer, because maybe you are partly unsure about something, then maybe say something like, here's my answer, but I'm about 70-80% sure this is right, because I also understand... Theres nothing wrong with admitting struggle or tension.
:up:

1Way

Not a lengthy post, just a long bible quote, and one main question

Not a lengthy post, just a long bible quote, and one main question

godrulz,
You said
Jesus did not stop with telling the rich man to keep commandments. It was implicit that He was making a point and that salvation would entail rejecting his selfishness and gods to follow Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Jesus preached salvific truth, as did John, Peter, and Paul. There messages were Christocentric. Faith, not faith + works has always been the criteria for salvation (you are not following Paul's arguments in Romans).
Please specifically explain the meaning of Jesus's response in verse 17b and how the context remains consistent in the following verses that Jesus was being literal and sincere about salvation.
Matthew 19:16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"
17 So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
18 He said to Him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, "‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’"
20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?"
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
27 Then Peter answered and said to Him, "See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?"
28 So Jesus said to them, "Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29 "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life
30 "But many who are first will be last, and the last first.
If Jesus was not being literal, then please explain why when the context shows that Jesus even followed up His response as though it was honestly about salvation. See verses 23, 24, 25. It is one thing to "claim" that scripture does not mean what it says, but if you don't substantiate that claim from the bible, it most likely will be construed as man voiding or contradicting scripture. Please explain.

Your response in post 1664 never answered the question you quoted as though you were answering. The fact that you also often help to keep things in focus, is commendable. But avoiding what God's word says in your response while quoting a reference to it, is less than commendable. If you are not certain about what it means, then just say so. I'm not trying to trap you or make you look bad, I'm trying to understand your bible understanding about "if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments".

servent101

1Way
Would you please give me a reference supporting your view that the scriptures are not closed.

The history is there if you want to read about early church history – Who conquered Rome and how and why the New Emperor showed favour to the previously outcast and persecuted Christians – it was the Emperor’s idea that Christians should have their own book and their own church – just like every other religion.

But apart from that – this is how you must see
please give me a reference supporting your view

This is the only way you will understand – this is what you do not understand – that this way of insisting on a reference is not there in the Bible – use your own eyes, mind and reason.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

1Way

serent101
When you "claim" to try to explain yourself, it does not help much and I get more confused about what you are trying to say.
1a
I said
Would you please give me a reference supporting your view that the scriptures are not closed.
To which you said
The history is there if you want to read about early church history – Who conquered Rome and how and why the New Emperor showed favour to the previously outcast and persecuted Christians – it was the Emperor’s idea that Christians should have their own book and their own church – just like every other religion.
Instead of clarifying what you are trying to say, you say something tangential about Rome's new Emperor favoring Christians and that it was his idea that Christians should have their own book, how about clearly stating your view and showing any support reasoning for it. Not only are you somewhat off topic, you didn't even make a point. Please explain what you tried to say, what was your point?
1b
Again, you quote me saying
please give me a reference supporting your view
and then you said
This is the only way you will understand – this is what you do not understand – that this way of insisting on a reference is not there in the Bible – use your own eyes, mind and reason.
God teaches about substantiating the truth instead of just accepting claims as though they are true without understanding it's validity. i.e. having a blind faith is fully contrary to scripture.

2a
Christ teaches His exclusivity, and that His way (teachings) is the only way to God, i.e. His word, the Holy scriptures.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
2b
There is no other besides Jesus and His word. You must accept Him and His word if you want please God. It is not possible to accept Jesus Christ and reject His word.
John 8:37 "I know that you are Abraham's descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.
44 "You are of [your] father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and [does not] stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own [resources], for he is a liar and the father of it.
47 "He who is of God hears God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God."
51 "Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death."
2c
He is called, the word because His word is that much a part of who He is.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
2d
Salvation is about accepting the truth instead of rejecting it in sin.
2 Thessalonians 2:10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2e
And saving faith that God describes is both substantial and evidential.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2f
Our understanding of God is supposed to me amazing and unified.
Colossians 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and [attaining] to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,
2g
We can't understand God if He is divided by different teachings.
Matthew 12:25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.
2h
God's word stands against all other and false views.
Matthew 15:6 `then he need not honor his father or mother.' Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition.
2i
God's word is final, let man's ideas conform to God's word and not otherwise.
Romans 3:4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: "That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged."
2j
As to the fulfillment of scripture, which means it has been completed, it is not unfinished.
Colossians 1:25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God,
And it's sufficiency for all matters of right living.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2l And last but not least.
Pr 30:5 Every word of God [is] pure; He [is] a shield to those who put their trust in Him. 6 Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.
I just demonstrated my view by numerous verifiable bible teachings. That is supporting your claim and clarifying what you believe.

Let your light shine, proclaim what you believe and where your source of truth and understanding is from. Unless of course you simply made up your own view, which again is not necessarily incredulous, unless you claim to know better than God.

Focus servent101
  • Please explain your point, do you, or do you not agree that the bible is a closed canon?

Explain your support reasoning for your view, whatever it is.

Last edited:

1Way

Sorry everyone for going (temporarily) off topic with servent101. I have been trying to understand what he is trying to say, and now that I get the vague idea that he is against the closed canon, I responded. I hope servent101 will clarify things and if necessary, start a new thread so we don't detract from the on topic discussion.

LightSon

Originally posted by 1Way

Sorry everyone for going (temporarily) off topic with servent101. I have been trying to understand what he is trying to say, and now that I get the vague idea that he is against the closed canon, I responded. I hope servent101 will clarify things and if necessary, start a new thread so we don't detract from the on topic discussion.

That's quite alright. I give you special dispensation to pursue servent101. He's a "good" guy and has a "good" heart; his reclamation will be worth your efforts.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Clete and godrulz,

Excellent exchange! Keep up the good work. I am especially interested in two major questions directed at godrulz. Here's to reinforcing those questions.
  1. Can you loose your salvation?

2. Are good works required once you are saved?

Godrulz, no offense towards you for however you answer. These are not nilly willy questions, they hit at the very heart and nature of salvation. And there are solid bible reasoning for different answers. If you wish to give a qualified answer, because maybe you are partly unsure about something, then maybe say something like, here's my answer, but I'm about 70-80% sure this is right, because I also understand... Theres nothing wrong with admitting struggle or tension.
:up:

"Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?" Gen. 18:25

The Bible is clear about those who have heard the Gospel and reject it vs 'what about the heathen who never heard the Gospel'. They are lost.

God alone knows the heart. Someone who is saved and sins does not automatically lose their salvation and go to hell if they die. The blood continually cleanses us from sin. There is a difference between an isolated lapse into sin that is repented of, and a persistent, defiant renunciation of Christ and His salvation and a return to false religion or godlessness. It is apostasy and a return to a state of godless unbelief vs a single sin.

Your question is similar to the speculative question if someone is sinning sexually, will they get left behind in the rapture? Without holiness no one will see the Lord. There is a difference between Christian teenagers yielding to temptation and an adult who returns to His former Satanism after following Christ for a time.

Believers have security in Christ, even if they yield to temptation for a time. Those who are unbelievers or become unbelievers again do not have security.

We are saved and sanctified by faith. Good works are not 'required' once we are saved any more than they are required to be saved. However, Peter's and Paul's exhortation to holiness is not optional. We are to be holy, because He is holy. Genuine faith will lead to a life conformed to the character of Christ and bear fruit of good works. The thief on the cross did neither and was still saved, because it is by faith from first to last.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Re: Not a lengthy post, just a long bible quote, and one main question

Re: Not a lengthy post, just a long bible quote, and one main question

godrulz,
You said Please specifically explain the meaning of Jesus's response in verse 17b and how the context remains consistent in the following verses that Jesus was being literal and sincere about salvation. If Jesus was not being literal, then please explain why when the context shows that Jesus even followed up His response as though it was honestly about salvation. See verses 23, 24, 25. It is one thing to "claim" that scripture does not mean what it says, but if you don't substantiate that claim from the bible, it most likely will be construed as man voiding or contradicting scripture. Please explain.

Your response in post 1664 never answered the question you quoted as though you were answering. The fact that you also often help to keep things in focus, is commendable. But avoiding what God's word says in your response while quoting a reference to it, is less than commendable. If you are not certain about what it means, then just say so. I'm not trying to trap you or make you look bad, I'm trying to understand your bible understanding about "if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments".

Jesus was talking before His resurrection. We are dealing with the Old Covenant and transition to His fulfillment. The rich ruler was not asking how he can earn salvation. Instead, he wondered about how he could be assured of entering Messiah's kingdom. He wanted to know what good work would demonstrate that he was righteous and qualified to enter the kingdom. Jesus reminded him that perfection was required and exposed the fact that he was not perfect because he could not and did not keep all the law (no one did). One must be as perfect as God. He must have God's righteousness which comes from faith in God (Rom. 4:5 OT Abraham was justified by faith, not works!). Jesus waited to see if he would demonstrate faith in Him, the true God, one with the Father (good/perfect).

Jesus indicated that life in God's kingdom can be entered only if one gives EVIDENCE that he is righteous (if God makes us righteous, there will be evidence and fruit of this). The Old Covenant standard of righteousness was the Law of Moses. Jesus told the man (not us) to obey the commandments. This would be evidence that He had saving faith (Jesus taught that the work, not works, of God is to BELIEVE in Him; Jn. 3:16= salvation= faith, not works...v. 17 is not a proof text for works salvation, contrary to Jesus' explicit faith alone teaching). When he asked, 'which ones'? the ruler was referring to the Pharisee's additional rules/standards. Jesus summarized the commands as loving his neighbour. His god of money was evidence he did not do this. His unwillingness to give money up was evidence he did not love God and others as evidence of salvation by faith. He lacked salvation and was not willing to follow Christ as Lord and Savior through repentant FAITH, not works or commandment keeping. He trusted his riches rather than the Lord. Salvation is a work of God. Who can be saved? The Pharisees thought wealth was a blessing of God. The disciples were confused by this. Jesus dealt with one man this way. He did not tell other's he encountered to keep the commandments. We cannot proof text this passage to didactly say more than it does. Jn. 3:16, 36; 1:12 is the Gospel, not Mt. 19:17.

Loving God and others is evidence of genuine salvation. The ruler failed the test since riches were his god, not Jesus Christ. Jesus used the Law to convict him of his rebellion, not as a way to be saved.

Jesus did say that if we love Him we will obey His commandments (Jn. 14:15, 23). We are not saved by keeping Mosaic Law, but we will love God and others if we are saved (the summary of the Decalogue).