ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Big Finn - Here's a helper I think you may appreciate. Ask Hilston if God's decree is "causative" over what He decrees, or not.

If He says yes, then what God decrees, He also causes to happen. And that is one of the last things Jim wants to deal with. I have made it a rule to always state the following

(God's) decree

in the following way...

(God's) decree to make (whatever) happen

so, it's decree to make happen not just some willy nilly "non-effective decree" as in concept only, or some kind of official but ambiguous sounding "plan" only, nope, this ordination or decree is causative.

So according to the Calvinistic "God is in control of everything" mindset, when God "decrees" evil, God actually causes evil, thus God commits evil, God does evil, and because of moral congruity and the absolute standard of righteousness, God is evil.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Z Man

Funny... I was wondering the same thing about you Clete....

Post 708

Yes I know. I'm sorry it’s taking so long. I do plan to respond but I've been too busy to do it properly and I find that the issue you've brought up is perhaps the most important issue that I've ever discussed on this site. The issue goes straight to the heart of why we believe what we believe and how we can know whether we are right or not so I don't want to do a half hearted job. I'll do my best to put something together early this week. Thanks again for your patience and for keeping on top of me to make sure that I do actually respond as promised.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Hilston, you quoted:
2 Samuel 24:1 Once again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and He caused David to harm them by taking a census. "Go and count the people of Israel and Judah," the LORD told him.
stating that this shows God made David take the census, but I’m afraid you are wrong. We see clarification of this in;
1Chr. 21:1-2 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. 2 So David said to Joab and to the leaders of the people, “Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring the number of them to me that I may know it.”
I realize that from the Samuel verse you get the idea that it is God making David move Israel, but it is completely clarified that this is not the case in the Chronicles verses, where God clears it up for us. Note also that most translations of the Bible seem to recognize that the “he” in the Samuel verse is not God, because they do not capitalize the “h”. The New King James does, but that doesn’t make it right.

I also believe it likely that since God allowed Satan to tempt David, the author of Samuel attributed it to God Himself because God could have prevented it, but chose instead to allow it and then used the actions of David to highlight a coming event (namely the buying of the site of the future crucifixion of Christ).

Much as God used the abduction and selling of Joseph in a positive way. God did not want Joseph’s brothers to be jealous of him and hate him, but since they did God used it in a way that was good for Joseph and Israel. God did not command the brothers to hate him, but God can take the bad and make as much good come from it as possible.

Rolf Ernst

Titan, post # 809, page 54--Neither do I believe God made men to torment them eternally. scripture nowhere teaches that. God made man for His own glory. He created man in His own image, "Lo, this only have I found, that God has made man upright, but they have sought out many inventions." And they are accountable.

Man, to whom God had decreed freedom of will, rebelled against God. Not all go into eternal punishment. There will be a great number--men out of every tongue, tribe and nation who will spend eternity with God; so many that they cannot be counted--like the stars for multitude.

Neither do I believe that man is totally evil. I believe that every aspect of man's being was marred by the fall. That is very different from totally evil. Some may fail to catch that distinction, but man still bears the image of God--something that could not be if he were totally evil. Some may get that idea from the Calvinist position of man's total inability to please God. That doesn't mean he can't be a good citizen. It means that though he may strive tro please God, he is incapable of rendering service to Him which is without some flaw. Therefore, we need the mediatorship of Christ to make our good faith efforts acceptable to the Father.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Knight and the rest of you OV'ers...

Re: Knight and the rest of you OV'ers...

Originally posted by Z Man

Hey Knight,

Where'd ya go?
Well... first off.... I am busy.

Secondly, I am not in a rush to answer all of your questions when you have ignored the majority of mine.

God_Is_Truth

And this is where I believe you are making a grave error my friend! We must not interpret scripture with our logic! It just won't do!

and how else do you interpret scripture? illogically? surely you believe God is a logical being, right? God surely knows the rules of logic and is powerful enough to make sure the writers didn't commit any fallacies right?

if you don't use logic to interpret scripture, what's left to interpret it by?

You are putting the cart before the horse, interpreting Scripture 'deductively' instead of 'inductively'.

deductive and inductive reasoning are BOTH forms of logic. to say you use either one to interpret scripture is to say you are using logic. you have contradicted yourself quite clearly here.

You are conforming the Word of God around your doctrine instead of vice versa.

logic is a doctrine now eh? :D

You believe with all your heart and mind that predestination and accountability are mutually exclusive, so no matter what Scriptures I bring forth to prove otherwise, you simply do not see it.

God is a logical being and that means that his word is also logical. if it's not logical it fallls into the category of absurdity. you don't believe God is an absurdidty do you? :chuckle:

Why? Because you have blinded yourself with your own 'theology'.

lol logic is not a theology! :doh:

What did God create man for?

dominion of the earth, fellowship (not that he needed it, but more is always better), love, glory etc.

Do you believe that God is obligated to save men UNTIL they commit a sin?

do you believe that man even needs to be saved until they have sinned? no sin means no need for salvation. only the sick need a doctor....

What's more important: God's glory, or the life of men?

unfair question.

Job was punished, yet he didn't do wrong.

not punished. punishment is the result of wrongdoing. rather, he did have evil inflicted upon him from satan.

Esau was hated before he was even born!

better interpreted "Jacob (the nation) i chose but Esau (the nation) i rejected"

Jesus, the Son of the Living God, was murdered by the will of God, yet He did nothing wrong.

he willingly gave up his life. no one forced him to die. he allowed them to kill him (murder on their half but Justice according to God because he took the blame of sins).

Your analogy is all wrong to begin with. A earthly king is human, just like the people he governs. God is God, and we are just mere created mortals.

analogies can only go so far and my point was that even though the king is the top authority, he is not justified in anything he does. God is similar in that he is justified in everything he does but only because that which he does is inline with his character. if he were ever to violate his character then he would cease to be holy, perfect and good.

God can do whatever He pleases with us. He can create us and destroy us in the same day. He can grant us peace or calamity, health or sickness, life or death; it's all in His will. We are like plants in His garden; He can uproot and weed out and kill and plant whenever, where ever, and whatever He wishes. It's His garden, His clay, His creation. Doing as He pleases with it is not wrong.

he can't do it if it violates his character. a good God will not do "bad things". he will not be unjust, unloving, unholy etc. everything he does must be inline with his character.

Not for that sole purpose. His ultimate purpose in anything He does is to display His glory.

where does the bible teach that?

A will that is set against everything that has anything to do with God. We hate God. Our carnal minds are enmity towards Him. The only thing our will wants is to please itself. Our will seeks to destroy us and seperate us from THE TRUTH forever. It's our own 'damn' fault! (pun intended... )

but you believe that ALL of that is God's doing! our will is the result of God's will! we have every right to blame God for our actions, will, desire and heart if indeed he's predestined it all.

so, it's not "our damn fault" but "God's damn fault" :D pun intended

What is God's ultimate purpose for existence?

who's existence? ours or his?

His purpose would define His nature, wouldn't you agree? Thus, if we knew His purpose, we would understand what is 'in line with His nature'...

we know his nature from creation, the bible, Jesus, moral law and other things.

Again, what is God's character? What's more important to Him; us, or Himself?

God's character is love. what does love focus on? itself or others?

HELLO!! MCFLY!! ANYONE HOME!!

are you a big BTTF fan like i am? :D

And no matter how many times I post Scripture to try and help you out with overcoming your 'logically impossible' barrier, you continue to ignore it and murmor to yourself the samething, over and over and over again. It's like talking to a brick wall.

please tell me what you interpret scripture by if it's not logic? and remember, inductive reasoning IS a form of logic.

Well then, according to the Bible and GIT's doctrine, we serve an unjust God:

my doctrine says that? ROFL! :chuckle: surely you jest.

God bless.

GIT

1Way

Lion - Bless your soul, and good to see you posting again. One note of clarification may be in order. You said
Much as God used the abduction and selling of Joseph in a positive way. God did not want Joseph’s brothers to be jealous of him and hate him, but since they did God used it in a way that was good for Joseph and Israel. God did not command the brothers to hate him, but God can take the bad and make as much good come from it as possible.
I think your contextual development is pretty clear, but the specific words are not so much. You know how people are, let a Calvinist see a KJV traditional rendering of "God" doing "evil", and they think that God actually does (wickedness) evil.

It is precisely the Calvinistic mindset that says that God uses or controls or dictates or decrees or ordains evil to happen for His glory. So I strive to differentiate between
  • a direct result from one single deed

and a second deed of response to the first deed.
In my view, a response to a deed always represents two different deeds, the original deed of evil, and a godly response against the original evil deed. As you well know, God does not even tempt us with sin, and He gives us power to overcome sin by "responding against it", even if it all only happens in our mind or heart, we still avert sin with a righteous response against it.

Moral congruity demands a separation between good and evil. Here are the main precepts.
  • Good and evil are moral and absolute opposites, they are mutually exclusive.

The deed and the deed doer/causer are absolutely inclusive to each other.
To say that good can come from bad without qualification risks being in error. Good can come from evil only if you respond rightly against it. (agreed?) Let us do evil that good may come of it, making inclusive evil directly producing good, is a slanderous condemnable idea (Ro 3:8), not that you were intending to say that. So I may not be substantially correcting your statements, but hopeful this is clarifying. I've been working on Jim over this issue.

Rolf Ernst

Titan, post 810, page 54--You ask who I am referring to when I say that maintaining error in regard to God is extremely wicked.

First, I say that because those who do maintain erroneous doctrine concerning God and His ways are preaching another God. And those who believe in that false God are not believing in the God of Scripture even though they may address Him by that name. Entertaining false notions of God is to be guilty of what Paul condemned in romans chapter one: "professing themselves to be wise, they became fools and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and four footed beasts and creeping things..."

God sent Moses into Egypt which had a great multiplicity of gods, each one of them a construction of men's imaginations; different according to the imaginations the Egyptians formed him into. So when Moses asked God, "whom shall I say sent me?" God responded, "Tell them I am that I am has sent you." Unlike the false gods of the Egyptians, God IS as He IS no matter what some arrogant son of man would make of Him by wickedly IMAGINING what He is like. And He must be acknowledgred as such.

I agree with you that there are remnants of wickedness in all of us. that is what we spend our days warring against; but the GREATEST of all evils is to persist in maintaining false notions of Him. It is not mere coincidence that the first commandment is, "Thou shalt have no other God before me." And to err in regard to Him IS TO HAVE A FALSE GOD rather than Him.

To form impressions of Him or His ways on the basis of reason or logic is to be GUILTY of that because the Bible says, "the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God." That is, any construction of Him on the basis of reason or logic will be false-- Men are vain in their imaginations--"professing themselves to be wise, they became fools..."

That is the reason we must strictly regiment our faith concerning Him on the basis of His word, given by the Spirit who knows the things of God. To reject ANYTHING in the Scripture pertaining to Him because
we can't SEE the logic or UNDERSTAND how the clear words of scripture can be true is the most dangerous and greatest folly a man can engage in. Rather than disbelieve the clear words of scripture, we should pray, "Lord, open my eyes. I believe. Help my unbelief."

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

LION, post 823, page 55: Heeree Lion, heerre Lion; kittie, kittie, kittie

Verse 1 of 2 Sam. 24 begins with, "...the anger of the LORD burned against Israel..." and ends with, "...go and count the people of Israel and Judah."

First, "the anger of the LORD" is connected by a conjunction to "He" and the identification of the "he" spoken of is also further specified by, "the LORD told him." How then does syntax indicate any person other than the one in this verse whose anger burned and "the Lord" who "told him?"

Second, the writer of 1 Chr. merely shows a different perspective of EVERYTHING that took place. As is true in other Scriptures, God is acting through an agent of His will, so both 2 Sam. 24 and 1 Chr.21 are true without contradiction. 2 Sam shows the origin, the true source of the judgment, and 1 Chr. shows the means by which God chose to work. Satan did what God purposed for him to do

This is similar to God's testing of Job. Though God worked through assorted--and evil-- means in every providence which befell Job, yet Job rightly said, "The LORD has given, and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." Just as happened in David's numbering of the people, Satan did nothing concerning Job but that which God allowed and had purposed. As Job said, "He performs the thing that is appointed for me."

By comparing 2 Sam and 1 Chr., we see how God uses instruments. God's motive in every event is holy, just and good. Insruments used by Him which act out of evil motives are accountable and will be dealt with by Him accordingly.

More is involved in an action than the will (or wills) which precipitated the action. Motives, without fail, are ALSO involved; and they make the difference--in the same action--between justice and injustice, good and evil. Numerous times in scripture, God uses instruments whose own motivations are evil as they perform that which God has purposed according to His own holy, just, and perfect will. They work together though there is a great contrast between them in their motivations.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst
Satan did what God purposed for him to do
:vomit:

[sarcasm]

The new Satan! Not evil! Not bad! Not mean!

Satan is now a saint! :rolleyes:

Satan... one of the most loyal subjects of God.

That's right folks....

SATAN, God's hitman!

[/sarcasm]

The preceding message has been brought to you by the fine folks at Lucifer's School of Reverse Theology.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Knight

[sarcasm]

That's right folks....

SATAN, God's hitman!

[/sarcasm]

The preceding message has been brought to you by the fine folks at Lucifer's School of Reverse Theology.

LOL..............:chuckle:

1Way

Knight, :think: that was very ,,, TOL-ish of you. :first:

:darwinsm:

You've been on a great role lately. You are the hot poster. :thumb:

It is absolutely revolting to hear Christians implicate a faith
in a God that causes wickedness!

I mean open your bible's brother Calvinists,
God does NO INIQUITY, not because
He does evil and sin in a good and godly way,
but because He truly does no wickedness!!!

So what????????????? When they read that God is good and
righteous (it does say that in the bible doesn't it?), what is
going on in their mind????????? That He murders and rapes
and terrorizes people ,,, really well
???

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by 1Way

So what????????????? When they read that God is good and
righteous (it does say that in the bible doesn't it?), what is
going on in their mind????????? That He murders and rapes
and terrorizes people ,,, really well
???
:chuckle: Funny!

But also sad.

Sad that people actually reduce themselves to those thoughts. :(

Rolf Ernst

Knight, post 831-- Response? Sure! "who is he who says, and it comes to pass WHEN THE LORD HAS NOT COMMANDED IT?"

I specified that though the wicked can do nothing but what God allows, they do it with other motives than God's; and for that, they are judged. God's purposes in every event are ALWAYS holy, just, and good.

Do you remember Job? It is clearly shown there that Satan could do, was allowed to do, only that which God had purposed. Concerning your saying Satan was God's hit man--the Scriptural term is, "instrument."

Since you rudely ridicule what is clearly seen in Job and in David's numbering of the people, maybe you would like to see more:

In Isaiah 10, Assyria is the rod (an instrument) of God's anger, the
"staff in whose hand" is God's indignation. (v.5)

Want to see or hear more about the critical difference between motivations? In verse 6, we see God's motivation in His use of Assyria: "I will send him against an ungodly nation, and against the people of my wrath." Here you see that God's motivation in His use of Assyria is the exercise of judgement on His people for their wickedness. In all that Assyria does, it will be in accord with God's holy, just, and perfect will as He (God) exacts judgement. God "will give him (the assyrian) charge to seize the spoil, to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets." This, as was true in God's use of Satan concerning the numbering of the people, IS GOD'S PURPOSE which would be fulfilled through His use of Assyria, the rod (THE INSTRUMENT) of His anger.

But is that the Assyrian's motive? No! as I have stressed before, will involves more than the mere act. It involves the motivation in the act also. We shall see that the Assryian's motive was different from God's, and blameworthy--blameworthy enough to call for judgement upon Assyria also, even though God's motive throughout, in the same event, was HOLY and JUST and GOOD.

Now we see what God says about the Assyrian's motivation--"Yet he does not mean so, nor does his heart think so, but it is in his heart to cut off not a few nations." (v. 7)

In verses 8-11 we see that though the Assyrian is the rod of God's anger, the staff of His indignation, and will perform precisely that which God predetermined, yet the Assyrian (v.8-11) is. at the same time, exercising his OWN will: "He says" (v.8); "as my hand" (v.10); "as I have done...shall I not also do...?" (v.10,11)

THEREFORE it shall come to pass, when the LORD has performed all His work on Mount Zion and on Jerusalem, that He will say, "I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria, and the glory of his haughty looks." For he says, "by the strength of my hand...by my wisdom...I have removed...have robbed...I have put down...my hand has found...I have gathered." (vv. 13-14)

Then God begins to speak to him about his arrogance--"Shall the ax boast itself against Him who chops with it? Or shall the saw exalt itself against Him who saws with it?" (v. 15a) Then, with a seeming tone of contempt for such arrogance, "As if a rod could wield itself against those who lift it up, or as if a staff could lift up as if it were not wood!" (v.15b)

THEN, THE PRONOUCEMENT OF JUDGEMENT FOR SUCH ARROGANCE--

"Therefore the Lord, the Lord of hosts will send leaness among his fat ones, and under his glory, He will kindle a burning, like the burning of a fire. So the Light of Israel will be for a fire, and His HOLY ONE for a flame; it will burn and devour his thorns and his briers in one day. And it will consume the glory of his forest and of his fruitful field, both soul and body; and they will be as when a sick man wastes away. Then the rest of the trees of his forest will be so few in number that a child could write them." (vv.16-19)

If you would like MORE examples of God's use of wicked instruments as He Himself is righteous in His motives and judgements even though they are WICKED and will accordingly be judged by God for their improper motivations, refer to the Bible--because it has many such examples.

Again, the term is not hit man, but "instrument... rod... ax... saw or staff of His indignation."

NOW--there are some who post on this forum who refuse to distinguish between God's motivations and purposes and the wicked motivations of those whom He uses as instruments. Then, when THEY, God's instruments, act out of evil motives and MURDER, these certain junior theologians delight in saying that God (if this were true) would ALSO be a murderer. Let them read the Bible a little, and reign in their unlearned tongue.

Heree, Lion; heree, Lion--kittie, kittie, kittie

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

God's use of men who do evil of their own free motivations DOES NOT MAKE GOD GUILTY OF THE EVIL THEY DO, as some on this forum imply, or even dare openly state. God does use the wicked and their deeds for His own motivations, but He DOES NOT SHARE THE GUILT OF THEIR MURDEROUS ACTS despite what the ill informed dare charge Him with.

God_Is_Truth

God's use of men who do evil of their own free motivations DOES NOT MAKE GOD GUILTY OF THE EVIL THEY DO, as some on this forum imply, or even dare openly state. God does use the wicked and their deeds for His own motivations, but He DOES NOT SHARE THE GUILT OF THEIR MURDEROUS ACTS despite what the ill informed dare charge Him with.

ever heard of conspiracy? is not the person who conspires with another person to do evil just as guilty as the person who does it? surely he is guilty of at least a little evil. right?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Big Finn

Hilston,

I'm right on the money as far as what you are teaching. In your theology God ordained(declared, willed, whatever you want to call it) misery, death, pain, and suffering upon humanity because He ordained sin just to bring glory to Himself.
That's not what I teach.

Originally posted by Big Finn
If that isn't an abusive Father I don't know what is.

BTW, I'd agree that my scenario was lacking in describing God's behavior for in my example the father was delinquent in both instances. However, that failing does not negate my point.
While that failing does not negate your point, it doesn't help it either.

I realize you're not an Open Theist, but I am still interested in your view. Do you believe God looked down the annals of time and accurately predicted every detail of Jesus' torture and execution (Isa 53:1-9)? If so, was only after God saw/predicted what was going to happen that He only then decided the following:

(1) Since the prediction indicates that Jesus would be despised and rejected anyway, that might as well be used to represent the bearing of our griefs and sorrows?
(2) Since the prediction indicates that Jesus would be wounded anyway, those wounds might as well count for our transgressions?
(3) Since the prediction indicates that Jesus would be bruised, those bruisings might as well be count for our iniquity?
(4) Since the prediction indicates that Jesus would be chastised, those chastisements might as well count toward our peace?
(5) Since the prediction indicates that Jesus would be whipped, those stripes might as well be for our healing?
(6) Since the prediction indicates that Jesus would be oppressed, afflicted, brought as a lamb to the slaughter, cut off out of the land of the living and stricken, that it might as well be for His people?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Jim

drbrumley

Originally posted by Knight

[sarcasm]

That's right folks....

SATAN, God's hitman!

[/sarcasm]

Oh man!!!!!!!!!!!

If this wasn't so sad, this would be almost comical.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I specified that though the wicked can do nothing but what God allows,
Isn't that only stating the obvious?

Anything that actually transpires has been allowed by God. For if God wouldn't allow it...... it wouldn't happen!

No open theist would say otherwise.

In fact... it is a non-point!

The question at hand is....
Is EVERYTHING that happens spcifically orchestrated by God? Every movement of every molecule, every thought and every action of every animal or man for all of history.

Tell me Rolf....
Do you see any distinction between... God allowing an event to occur.

and...

God ordaining an event in every detail ??? :think:

Let's focus the debate....

We both agree with your premise...
... the wicked can do nothing but what God allows,
Now....

Please answer the following (more pertinent) question...

Can the wicked can do anything other than what God specifically orchestrates or ordains?