ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Muz, Be serious. With all respect, what you are speaking about is not laughable (Galatians 6:7-8).

You have it backwards. The first question is not about the universe that God created. The first question is what do you believe about the God who did the creating. The true God doesn't fit in your box.

We actually all agree that God is omniscient, a theocentric starting point. The issue is whether this omniscient God created a deterministic, settled universe, or one with significant others, contingencies, elements of unsettledness/uncertainty (let's us actualize things, including evil), etc. So, is omniscience fixed and static or dynamic as creation changes? We differ about objects of certain vs possible knowledge based on the nature of creation and the future.

Muz is correct, but you do not see it, so you are railing against a straw man.

My 'misunderstandings of Open Theism' thread looks at 8 similar issues

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes, Muz' God is always changing, didn't know the names of animals, couldn't find Adam and Eve, gets angry, repents, second guesses Himself, makes false prophecies, and has no idea what the future holds.

Muz' God only knows what's knowable, but "what's knowable" is defined by Muz

Boo, this is an unfair caricature and not what He believes. You are going beyond what we are saying and distorting it into a negative straw man. You really should understand and represent your opponent's view properly if you are going to attack it.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We actually all agree that God is omniscient, a theocentric starting point. The issue is whether this omniscient God created a deterministic, settled universe, or one with significant others, contingencies, elements of unsettledness/uncertainty (let's us actualize things, including evil), etc. So, is omniscience fixed and static or dynamic as creation changes? We differ about objects of certain vs possible knowledge based on the nature of creation and the future.

Muz is correct, but you do not see it, so you are railing against a straw man.

My 'misunderstandings of Open Theism' thread looks at 8 similar issues

Strawman? Speak for yourself. I hope you don't play with matches.

That is as long as the definition of omniscience is as you define it to fit your model/construct of Open Theism.

Who changes creation, be it manor God, that He doesn't know about it? :duh:

:shocked: You actually think God doesn't know what He is doing when man or He changes something? double:duh:

Muz correct? :chuckle:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Boo, this is an unfair caricature and not what He believes. You are going beyond what we are saying and distorting it into a negative straw man. You really should understand and represent your opponent's view properly if you are going to attack it.

Yes or No:

Do you believe God did not know what Adam named the animals?

Do you believe God did not know where Adam and Eve were hiding?

Do you believe God repents?

Do you believe God gets angry?

Do you believe all of God's prophecies are true?

Do you believe God has exhaustive definitive foreknowledge?

Do you believe God knows all that is knowable? If yes, explain what is "knowable"

Like I have said before, your definition of omniscience and my definition of omniscience are not the same. So, when you say God is omniscient, it is not the same as when I say God is omniscient. Therefore you cannot state that you (and open theists) agree with me (and settled theists) that God is omniscient.

This goes the same for many other attributes of God. You guys (open theists) change the definition of the attributes, and then go around saying you are in agreement with settled theists re:God's attributes.

You guys can scream "strawman" all you want, but you can't go around saying you believe God is omniscient, when you completely make up the definition of omniscience.

Which brings me back to "knowable". You guys have determined what is knowable to God and what is not knowable to God. Same as what is logical to God, and what is not logical to God.

Other than that, Happy New Year Godrulz :wave:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Strawman? Speak for yourself. I hope you don't play with matches.

That is as long as the definition of omniscience is as you define it to fit your model/construct of Open Theism.

Who changes creation, be it manor God, that He doesn't know about it? :duh:

:shocked: You actually think God doesn't know what He is doing when man or He changes something? double:duh:

Muz correct? :chuckle:

Huh? God knows all that is knowable, the past and present exhaustively (so He sees changes unfold!), and the present as possible until it becomes actual. If the future was actually there to see, we would be making choices trillions of years before we were born or God makes us do things to fulfill His prescience (nonsense).

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Huh? God knows all that is knowable, the past and present exhaustively (so He sees changes unfold!), and the present as possible until it becomes actual. If the future was actually there to see, we would be making choices trillions of years before we were born or God makes us do things to fulfill His prescience (nonsense).

godrulz, I can appreciate but I cannot and will not accept what you believe. Who am I or you for that matter to say what God knows. He's an ALL knowing God. Your theology is very, very liberal. A gentle warning. Tread lightly. He's God! Happy New Year.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz, with all due respect. I do understand what you and Muz are postulating. I serve an immutable God. Your liberal construct/model of a God who learns from His mistakes is not the God I serve. If He were to make mistakes, He could not be trusted to give me a future and a hope. The Bible tells me that Jesus died for my sin. Maybe an imperfect sacrifice? Was it a truth or a mistake? How many changes do you have to make for Him to fit in your box?
That's just dumb.

God does not make mistakes. And no one has postulated such. You are being intellectually dishonest. You are a liar.

That is good. I am not MAD so therefore I believe that believers in the Body of Christ are in the evolving Book of Life, and will end up in the Lamb's Book of Life.
Wait a minute. I thought you said that you believed that everyone who would end up in Heaven had their names written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world. am I mistaking you for someone else?

I believe Christ “emptied” Abraham’s bosom when He descended, and took the OT believers with Him to Heaven when He ascended. Therefore every believer who died since then has gone to Heaven. I know this conflicts with MAD doctrine because you guys have to keep Abraham’s bosom active in order to show where the Kingdom believers who died between the ascension and Acts 28 went.
Irrelevant. The issue is where do those who are not at the stage in which they have been able to make this decision go when they die?

So is it my understanding that you believe that only babies go to Abraham’s bosom now?
No.

It means that the “world” is always trying to fix everything. Peace, poverty, sickness, etc. exists, and human good is always trying to make the world a perfect place.
That's what I thought. It's irrelevant.

The Bible is clear that this is satan’s planet right now. Jesus promised there would be wars and rumors of wars until His return. Yet every human do gooder is always trying to achieve world peace, and then there are the environmentalists who try to save the planet. Feeding the poor in Africa and in Muslim countries sounds like a very good moral Christian thing to do also.
:blabla:

In a Muslim country where the infant mortality rate is 18%, that means that 18% of the population will have eternal life, whereas if we feed them, give them health care, medicine, etc and lower the infant mortality rate to say 3%, that means that these kids who would have died and had eternal life, will now grow up and be Muslims, and then go to hell.
Now you're just being stupid.

Sounds mean and cruel, but the bottom line is that we, as Christians have the sole responsibility to evangelize to these countries, not to feed them and give them medicine. There is nothing wrong with feeding and giving medicine to fellow Christians however.
Now that's just wicked and evil.

Obtaining world peace, feeding the poor, and saving the planet are humanistic good works that mean nothing to God.
I don't even know where to begin...

The point is that feeding the poor, and providing medicine is sending more people to hell than if we did nothing at all. This is why I believe babies who die go to Heaven, and how God provides salvation to all.
:rotfl:

That's good, maybe if I make even more posts, you can give up comic books.
I don't read comic books to laugh. But I wouldn't expect someone as arrogant and condescending as you to understand that.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes or No:

Do you believe God did not know what Adam named the animals?

Do you believe God did not know where Adam and Eve were hiding?

Do you believe God repents?

Do you believe God gets angry?

Do you believe all of God's prophecies are true?

Do you believe God has exhaustive definitive foreknowledge?

Do you believe God knows all that is knowable? If yes, explain what is "knowable"

Like I have said before, your definition of omniscience and my definition of omniscience are not the same. So, when you say God is omniscient, it is not the same as when I say God is omniscient. Therefore you cannot state that you (and open theists) agree with me (and settled theists) that God is omniscient.

This goes the same for many other attributes of God. You guys (open theists) change the definition of the attributes, and then go around saying you are in agreement with settled theists re:God's attributes.

You guys can scream "strawman" all you want, but you can't go around saying you believe God is omniscient, when you completely make up the definition of omniscience.

Which brings me back to "knowable". You guys have determined what is knowable to God and what is not knowable to God. Same as what is logical to God, and what is not logical to God.

Other than that, Happy New Year Godrulz :wave:

Is maybe, maybe not an answer?

God knew what Adam named the animals as he was naming them. He did not know what Adam would choose trillions of years ago. He knew the possible names Adam could pick from since He knows possibilities/probabilities. God did not name the animals. Adams act introduced new objects of knowledge for God's dynamic omniscience. God did not make Adam pick those names to fulfill His prescience (determinism) no did He simply foreknow the future (what is the mechanism? eternal now does not count if it is specious). If He saw the future as settled, you would have Adam naming before He was even created?!

God did know where Adam/Eve were hiding because this is an object of present knowledge and doable because of His omniscience (where can I hide, O Lord?). It was a rhetorical question, a figure of speech. Just because OVT denies anthropomorphism/popathism in some contexts does not mean we deny them in all contexts. Some TOL OVTs think God was ignorant of some aspects of the present. They do not represent academic OVT, but are giving their own opinion and twist.

God does not repent of sin, but He does relent or repent in the sense of changing His mind to remain righteous in response to changing contingencies that were not settled. He responds in real time, not by decree or prescience before the reality unfolds.

God is not a stone idol. He is personal, so He can express righteous anger. We see this in the life of Jesus, God with a face. It is not humanizing God to deny impassibility. Jesus was God yet had will, intellect, emotions.

God's predictive, declarative prophecies are true if they are what God intends to do unconditionally. There are also conditional prophecies that may or may not come to pass depending on the peoples' response to His declarations and warnings. Other prophecies are illustrative (a historical situation that parallels a future event is used by way of illustration/'fulfillment', not prediction. God also can say things that seem unconditional, but may be conditional (Hezekiah).

If I was a determinist, God would have EDF. If the future was settled in advance, He would have EDF. Since free will, relational theism is the biblical model (contingencies, etc.), EDF is logically impossible. Timelessness does not solve the problem either because a settled future before it actually exists would lead us back to determinism. God has exhaustive past and present foreknowledge, but the future is fundamentally different and cannot be known as actual while it merely still possible.

In both views, God knows all that is knowable. He knows reality as it is. If there was an ontological reality known as the future, God would know it. If He was ignorant of this actual future, Open Theism would fall. Since not knowing a nothing is not a limitation of omniscience, He knows all that can logically be known. Since there is no ontological reality called the future (presentism vs eternalism), God not knowing it is not ignorance nor a limitation. The future is our anticipation of what will occur after the present moment. What you are doing is failing to realize you have a different metaphysical position (you say the future is an ontological reality and resort to sci fi vs Scripture to support this assumption) and then accusing us of not operating according to this position. If your assumption is wrong (can be demonstrated), then you are merely begging the question (thx to Sanders for these insights). What is knowable is the past and present. God also knows things that He intends to unilaterally bring about in the future (though they are still not actual to be seen or known like the present and past). He can also predict based on probability, etc., but there still may exist a slight uncertainty. In all this, God is able to respond to whatever actualizes, so it is not limitation (don't forget about His power, wisdom, intelligence, omnipresence, etc.).

We can demonstrate what is logical and knowable with godly philosophy. You fail to appreciate how many of your views are assumption (timelessness/eternal now) rather than explicit Scripture. Even atheists can demonstrate that if there is a God, He could not do the logically impossible or self-contradictory. If you deny this, you can know nothing about God because you are not thinking within His parameters.

God is not ignorant of anything. This is why I say we both affirm omniscience. Does God know where Alice in Wonderland is? Since she is fictional, is it a limitation of omniscience to not know this? I am suggesting the contingent future is like Alice in Wonderland and a non-entity, so ignorance of it is a deficiency in omniscience. You would have a point if Alice actually existed or if the future existed and was settled (how can it be if we make the choices to settle it and we do not even exist yet?).

You don't like the fact we reject your definitions of these attributes, but tradition is not always truth nor is it always free from philosophical trappings contrary to Scripture. It is like gays wanting to take our definition of marriage. They can accuse us of being unfair or wrong because we do not affirm same sex marriage, but they are the ones that are wrong about the biblical definition. You assume you are right, but you have to decide if you are a determinist or free will theist. If determinist, have your cake and eat it too with EDF. If you claim to be free will theist, I would suggest that Open Theism is more coherent and biblical than timelessness, EDF, SFK, etc. (Arminian).

If you want to have the best of all views, good luck. Mutually exclusive, diametrically opposing views cannot be reconciled.

Enough substance, AMR?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
godrulz, I can appreciate but I cannot and will not accept what you believe. Who am I or you for that matter to say what God knows. He's an ALL knowing God. Your theology is very, very liberal. A gentle warning. Tread lightly. He's God! Happy New Year.

Yes, He is God of gods, who is like Him?

It is the glory of a king to search out a matter. If a view can take Scripture at face value and identify negative pagan philosophical influences on the classical view. then it is not liberal. You must make the OVT motif figurative without warrant to retain your views. You must assume philosophical ideas about B-theories of time, eternal now simultaneity, etc. without biblical evidence to retain your views (despite the wealth of scholarship to debate these things).

My theology is not Calvinistic, so it is liberal? This is a false dichotomy. Is Arminianism liberal because it denies determinism? This is like me saying you are very Muslim because they also are a deterministic/fatalistic religion.

Liberal is denying the Deity and resurrection of Christ, virgin conception, Word of God, cross, etc., not saying the future is partially settled and partially unsettled. Denying determinism and asserting self-evident free will has implications for theodicy. Saying God is responsible for evil is worse than liberal. The nature of creation, predestination, free will, etc. has been debated for centuries without having to use argumentum ad hominem 'liberal' commie attacks.

You effectively shut down dialogue when the mature position is to make points/counterpoints like the 4 view books I recommend without the authors denigrating each other's love for God and truth.

We all use the Bible, but interpret it differently. Amos Yong (not OVT) concludes: "Each system interprets the Bible consistently and coherently within its presuppositional framework...factors extraneous to the Bible itself determines how one reads and interprets the biblical text...with regard to the doctrine of divine omniscience in particular."

Since creation is dynamic, a dynamic view of omniscience is more coherent without compromising His exhaustive knowledge. If creation was deterministic, God would be responsible for evil, we would not be responsible for anything, and God would know the future as certain vs possible.

I would reject OVT if I thought it did not have the best biblical support based on a stronger hermeneutic. I would reject it if is was illogical or philosophically indefensible. I doubt you have studied a fraction of the academic literature on both sides of the debate. Until you do, you are little better than I was when I first started the journey 30 years ago.

I differ from you, but that does not make you a liberal. Cmon.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Now tell me why your 976 word post warrants my careful review and comment when you rejected a post of mine that was a mere 800+ words?

I need a shrink. I will never please this guy.

I do not expect anyone to answer me word for word, point for point. This is not seminary or a defense of a doctoral thesis. If we all took a point or two to respond to (out of interest, expertise, etc.), dialogue would continue. If we all responded to every long post with more long posts, we would not have a life.

I do not doubt your capable defense of your position and the benefit to understanding what you are saying. I doubt that it is as polished as other published authors I will be reading. I think your views are presuppositionally flawed out of the chute, so I see no need to try to master them (STP demands the same of me). If I have not read Calvin, Edwards, Aquinas, Luther, Augustine, etc. first hand, why should I read every word you post and respond to it. We are limiting our audience and influence here if we get into lofty, lengthy debate. As one with a teacher bent and pastoral heart, I want to balance high academics (I am no match for you) with being able to talk about these concepts with uneducated people.

Communication is more important than winning an argument or impressing people...heart and head, truth on fire. Jesus is our model for communication, not modern philosophers few can understand.

You be you and I will be me. Perhaps we can meet closer to the middle. Come back and play on the Misunderstanding thread. If Sanders is full of hot air, put your two cents worth in. I will also try to read your posts in full, but don't expect line by line responses because you do not do that nor do others do that for me.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
So many presuppositions, so little time. Define the terms and then prove it.

I just invented this term (not enough sleep again). I have not heard it before. What I mean is that history unfolds. I see my cat do various things. I have made a myriad of choices as have billions of others. God is active and Living, not static locked in a fatalistic eternal now simultaneity. There is novelty, contingency, flux, life, change happening all around us (whether we think God changes in any way). Is this not self-evident? Reality is not condensed into a black hole singularity. The future is anticipatory (I reject sci fi 4th dimension parallel universes, etc.). I do not see it as fixed or real at the moment. 2009 is a blank slate and God and us will fill it.

I suppose there are some obscure views that might think creation is static and we are in an illusory Matrix, but I see no need to entertain them.

If creation is still unfolding moment by moment, what is the issue with God seeing and experiencing it with us? This does not limit Him, but describes His reality. It is logically difficult to explain how our future is knowable/seeable before we exist to create it. If God does know it, then it is Him micromanaging it, not us making choices.

Which brings us back to the free will vs determinism presupposition that we cannot resolve. I will stand my ground and say libertarian free will is redundant and compatibilism is really deterministic and illusory 'free will'. Here comes a link to a long AMR post (everyone run and hide).

I might not win a debate with AMR, but I am confidant that I have the correct view on my side (at least it is less problematic than alternate views...I can live with that, but not a deterministic view/theodicy) and it will win the day in the end.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just invented this term (not enough sleep again).
That seems to be a common m.o. for you. You are the teflon theologian--nothing sticks to you. ;)

There is novelty, contingency, flux, life, change happening all around us
There is no warrant to assume what is novelty to us is necessarily novel to God. The fact that you frequently map your human experience onto God should give you pause.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
That seems to be a common m.o. for you. You are the teflon theologian--nothing sticks to you. ;)

There is no warrant to assume what is novelty to us is necessarily novel to God. The fact that you frequently map your human experience onto God should give you pause.

Before the Fall, it was 'very good'. After the Fall, God was grieved and wanted to wipe us out. But Noah...

Page after page shows God walking with man, responding to changing contingencies, including believing prayer, etc. Nothing in didactic sections contradicts this personal view of God. God delights at birth and new birth. The incarnation was a novel thing for God (He has not always existed as the God-Man). 2009 is a blank slate for God and us. We form the future together. God has a plan, but it can be resisted on an individual level (grieve, quench Spirit; Lk. 7:30). God has a history and a future. He experiences the present. His experience is beyond human since He knows everything, is all powerful, is everywhere in His awareness, etc., unlike us finite creatures.

The Imago Dei has no meaning in your view because of your paranoia that we humanize God and deify man (don't confuse OVT with Process Thought or Mormonism!).

I gave you the ontological lecture that we are unlike God in some ways (His absolutes of wonder), but like Him in other ways. God is sovereign, uncreated, triune Creator. To state His other qualities that we have in imperfect measure (loving, faithful, kind, patient, etc. cf. Gal. 5:22-23) does not mean we are reducing God.

I really wonder if you are as smart as you say. Some smart people lack common sense and can't see the obvious.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I really wonder if you are as smart as you say. Some smart people lack common sense and can't see the obvious.

I ask for Scriptural warrants and you give me mushiness. Please defend your position from Scripture's explicit or implicit teachings without pointing me to someone who you think has already done the job.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

I ask for Scriptural warrants and you give me mushiness. Please defend your position from Scripture's explicit or implicit teachings without pointing me to someone who you think has already done the job.

I just gave simple biblical e.g. and principles. Lose your bi-focals?