ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you thinking of Pinnock and Mormonism?

Since you mentioned it. Open theism and Mormonism kind of go hand in hand.

On the other hand, the dominant Mormon tradition teaches that God does not know the future. This tradition affirms that only the present and the past can be known by God, since the former is occurring and the latter has already occurred. Consequently, since the future is not yet a "thing" and has not become actual (and hence cannot possibly be known), God cannot know the future. Therefore, the Mormon God is omniscient in the sense that he knows everything that can possibly be known, but he nevertheless increases in knowledge as the future unfolds and becomes the present.28 As the late Mormon president and prophet Wilford Woodruff once said: "God himself is increasing in knowledge, power, and dominion, and will do so worlds without end."29 This is why Brigham Young and his counselors (both in 1860 and 1865) condemned as false doctrine Orson Pratt's claim that "God cannot know new truths."30

Source

Lon

Ps. 90:2 from everlasting to everlasting

Are you thinking of Pinnock and Mormonism? What is the issue with Sanders and cults?

The free will defense is an adequate answer for the problem of evil. Determinism impugns the character and ways of God and is contrary to revelation.

Endless time or timelessness (A vs B theory; presentism vs eternalism) are both possible models of eternity/eternal to consider.

Do you want the pre-paid plan of evil or the one where it is pay as you go?

Either way, God allows. Either way we have to answer 'why.' Ask an agnostic here. It'll not make any difference to them. OV took away the pre-paid card but it is still pay-as-you-go theology where God sees attrocity as it happens. Why do you insist on bringing this up again and again and again and again and again and.....

Pinnock, yes, but also Sanders visa AMR's link.

Again, I see a relative problem between the time theories in that it cannot examine what is beyond its scope without constraining the subject to time considerations which God already escapes in many considerations.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Alright, let's make it clear again, that you haven't. The very first quote on your page is this:

"What is time? I do not know." - Augustine
However, what St. Augustine actually said in the Confessions (Book XI, Chapter 14) is this:

"What, then, is time? If no one ask of me, I know; if I wish to explain to him who asks, I know not."

Right from the start, you misrepresent what he said and do not quote him accurately. Then you proceed to quote from him what you have posted already (snipped for brevity):

"For what is time? [...] and if there were nothing at all, there would be no present time."

"And I confess to thee, O Lord, that I am still ignorant as to what time is […] How, then, do I know this, when I do not know what time is?"

I gave each set of text a different color because they belong to two different chapters. The first is from chapter 14 and the second from chapter 25. Yet here you mingle both without distinction. You also ignore the sentence that follows in the paragraph from chapter 25:

"Or is it, perchance, that I know not in what wise I may express what I know?

See how this has the same form as the complete quote from chapter 14 above. It is not that he is ignorant as to what time is, but the issue is explaining what it is. As I have told you already, these passages are not dead ends but rhetorical questions and appeals to God as inner teacher that he makes before proceeding (as he does) to the solution of the difficulty in question.

Besides those quotes, in your page you ignore very much everything the saint actually said about the nature of time and the conclusions he reaches on the different chapters of Book XI. Despite this you say:

"Nothing could be more ironic than this revered theologian saying that he doesn't know what time is on earth but he knows what eternity is in heaven."

But your remark is confronted with something (and other things which I have posted already) the saint concludes on the chapter that follows your last quote:“time is nothing else than distention” (Chapter 26). So your claim that he doesn’t know what time is and your appeal to isolated passages from Book XI to support your claim while ignoring everything else he said is a far cry from accurately quoting and representing him.

That said, I will not repeat myself here on this point. I have already showed on two previous posts on this thread (here and here) that your claim is incorrect and that you are not giving an accurate representation of his views on your page.

Moving down on your page, you also say that:

"He creates this problem because he misinterprets and misrepresents scripture when he states that time is "something" created by God.

Augustine "Thou madest all time and before all times thou art."

The reason Augustine believes that time is created is because he is a theologian and a philosopher, a Christian and a Platonist…"

And...

"Time is a characteristic of anything that exists and is active. Any kind of movement is a change of some type and incorporates time [...] Time does not exist in itself as something material or as an invisible form of energy."

But St. Augustine does not believes that time is "something" that exists in itself that is material or an invisible form of energy. When he says that God made all time he is not referring to the creation of time as "something" that exist in itself. Rather, time presupposes motion and the creation of a creature such as the heavens and the earth brings about that motion and thus time. So he says in the Confessions:

"Let them therefore see that there could be no time without a created being." (Book XI, Chapter 30)​

Later, he expressed himself more fully on this point in City of God (Book XI, Chapter 6):

"For if eternity and time are rightly distinguished by this, that time does not exist without some movement and transition, while in eternity there is no change, who does not see that there could have been no time had not some creature been made, which by some motion could give birth to change [...] and thus, in these shorter or longer intervals of duration, time would begin? [...] And if the sacred and infallible Scriptures say that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, in order that it may be understood that He had made nothing previously [...] then assuredly the world was made, not in time, but simultaneously with time [...] But simultaneously with time the world was made, if in the world's creation change and motion were created..."

You say “any kind of movement is a change of some type and incorporates time”, he says “time does not exists without some movement and transition”. You say “time is a characteristic of anything that exists”, he says “there could be no time without a created being”.

If St. Augustine doesn’t know what time is, neither do you.

Evo

From my website in black:

Augustine confesses he cannot define time
While saying he cannot tell us what time is, Augustine, nevertheless, gives us two aspects of time; time as past, present, and future, and time as duration.
See, I say here that Augustine does tell us what time is.

Augustine "For what is time? Who can easily and briefly explain it? Who can even comprehend it in thought or put the answer into words? Yet is it not true that in conversation we refer to nothing more familiarly or knowingly than time? And surely we understand it when we speak of it; we understand it also when we hear another speak of it. What, then, is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks me, I do not know. Yet I say with confidence that I know that if nothing passed away, there would be no past time; and if nothing were still coming, there would be no future time; and if there were nothing at all, there would be no present time.
See, here I quote Augustine saying he knows what time is.

Time is a characteristic of anything that exists and is active. Any kind of movement is a change of some type and incorporates time in three ways: 1. before and after; 2. past, present, and future; 3. duration. Time does not exist in itself as something material or as an invisible form of energy.
Here I do not say that Augustine said this.

Augustine believes time is something created by God.
Nothing could be more ironic than this revered theologian saying that he doesn't know what time is on earth but he knows what eternity is in heaven. He creates this problem because he misinterprets and misrepresents scripture when he states that time is something created by God.
Here I have deleted the word "something" from my site. It doesn't change the point I am making and I agree with you that it alters what Augustine said. But I do think many believe that time is "something" that constricts or limits God if he experiences it, as if time were an "it".

I know that Augustine and I agree as to what time is; the difference is, as you know, in OV we believe that time applies to God as well as us. Augustine believes time does not apply to God and in order to distract his readers from the irrationality of his proposition he fogs their minds with pages of nonsense about time.

--Dave

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Looks like Sanders' name to me at end of the second page of this item. Actually it is not surprising at all that he (and Pinnock) would be toadying to Mormonism. Humanists tend to seek one another out, which is why Mormonism is ecstatic. See also here and here.

http://www.existence-of-god.com/ravi-zacharias-addresses-lds.html

This is a solid Christian apologist who was able to proclaim the true gospel without compromise. What an opportunity! If a JW convention wanted me to speak on Open Theism's view of omniscience because it has some similarity to their view, I would see it as a divine appointment to proclaim truth. Just because Christians and JWs have kingdom concepts, or Mormons and Open Theists might have some non-essential views in common is no response to suppose compromise or condoning of false views.

Other Christian academics have interacted with Mormon apologetics without compromise. What is their motive? What are the pros and cons?

Pinnock and Sanders affirm historical Christianity and would not see Mormonism as a Christian denomination.

If AMR had an opportunity to present Calvinism to an LDS academic forum, I would hope he would preach the gospel and leave no doubt that Mormons need this gospel.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Since you mentioned it. Open theism and Mormonism kind of go hand in hand.

Source

This only shows that Mormons are right about a few non-essential things, but wrong about many essential truths.

It is illogical to think because Christians and Mormons believe in 'God' that Christians are Mormons. Just because one idea of Open Theism resonates with their understanding does not negate the essential truths and doctrines of Mormonism that have no agreement with OVT or evangelicalism (OVT's essential statement of faith is the same as Calvinists and Arminians...Christology, etc.).

It is as indefensible for Calvinists to link OVTs with Mormonism as their lame accusation that Arminians are Pelagianists (I suppose Catholics are Satanists?!).

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave,

Pay attention, please. It is you who are asserting here. I've been to your site and spent time there. Defense is a mechanism but we aren't being malicious here by any purpose. We are giving reasonable assessment of your misquotes and cherry-picking, as we and others have already said, repeateldly. No less than four people have told you the same things, repeatedly. Me? I'd think with 4 chiming in on the same refrain that they were hitting on some truths I'd have been obtuse to. Don't be purposefully obtuse in defense. It is actually anti-intellectual and emotional to persist where you've been criticized by four different people.

See my response to Evoken.

--Dave

Lon

http://www.existence-of-god.com/ravi-zacharias-addresses-lds.html

This is a solid Christian apologist who was able to proclaim the true gospel without compromise. What an opportunity! If a JW convention wanted me to speak on Open Theism's view of omniscience because it has some similarity to their view, I would see it as a divine appointment to proclaim truth. Just because Christians and JWs have kingdom concepts, or Mormons and Open Theists might have some non-essential views in common is no response to suppose compromise or condoning of false views.

Other Christian academics have interacted with Mormon apologetics without compromise. What is their motive? What are the pros and cons?

Pinnock and Sanders affirm historical Christianity and would not see Mormonism as a Christian denomination.

If AMR had an opportunity to present Calvinism to an LDS academic forum, I would hope he would preach the gospel and leave no doubt that Mormons need this gospel.

Good grief, do you read AMR's links?

In a cordial letter to David Paulsen (LDS), Pinnock recently wrote: "Your work has gotten me interested in knowing more about the 'Mormon/evangelical dialogue,' how to measure it and even how to bridge it. Are we (in your opinion) co-belligerents as it were in the struggle against pagan influences in classical theism? Can we benefit each other? My sense is that we are closer to each other than process theists are to either of us. . . . Clearly we have much in common. I have always hoped with respect to your faith that Mormon thinking might draw closer to Christian thinking (or ours to yours) and not drift farther away."

Lon

See my response to Evoken.

--Dave
Thanks Dave, it is a step in the right direction but Evoken has made some of this more clear than you are representing as yet.

Thank you also for not taking offense as to the direction of a lie. I did not mean to malign but warn.

Evoken

From my website in black:

Augustine confesses he cannot define time
While saying he cannot tell us what time is, Augustine, nevertheless, gives us two aspects of time; time as past, present, and future, and time as duration.
See, I say here that Augustine does tell us what time is.

Augustine "For what is time? […] there would be no present time.
See, here I quote Augustine saying he knows what time is.

Well then, if you say that he knows and tells us what time is and also, as you say below, that you both agree as to what time is, why then do you shorten a quote from him to make it say: "What is time? I do not know"? And later say that…

“Nothing could be more ironic than this revered theologian saying that he doesn't know what time is on earth but he knows what eternity is in heaven.”

From the quotes I have posted previously we know that he did know what time is and you admit that he did and even agree with him on this point.

So, instead of doing this, why not frame the article on your page along the lines of: “While Augustine is right about what time is, and I agree with him, he is incorrect in saying that it doesn’t applies to God”? I would say that if you did this, the point you try to make on your page will be much clearer and your credibility, by giving an accurare representation of your "opponents", would get a boost.

Time is a characteristic of anything that exists and is active. Any kind of movement is a change of some type and incorporates time in three ways: 1. before and after; 2. past, present, and future; 3. duration. Time does not exist in itself as something material or as an invisible form of energy.
Here I do not say that Augustine said this.

Fair enough, it was not entirely clear if you were, but whatever the case, I wanted to show that he doesn’t believes that.

I know that Augustine and I agree as to what time is; the difference is, as you know, in OV we believe that time applies to God as well as us. Augustine believes time does not apply to God and in order to distract his readers from the irrationality of his proposition he fogs their minds with pages of nonsense about time.

I don’t think that his reflections about time have the intention to distract his readers from the “irrationality” of his proposition. That amounts to saying that he was being intentionally deceptive.

I think you would do a better job on your page if you gave the saint a fairer and gentler treatment than you are doing now. As I said previously, it is alright if you disagree with him, but try to give an accurate representation of his views.

That said, I appreciate your receptiveness on this issue.

Evo

Last edited:

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Synthesis

Theologian R.C. Sproul states, "It is often said of Augustine that as Aquinas achieved a synthesis between Christian theology and Aristotelian philosophy, so Augustine achieved a synthesis between Christian theology and Platonic philosophy."18

We are living in a time when the theory of evolution is the cultural explanation for the existence of everything. There are some who advocate theistic evolution, which is an attempt to create a synthesis, or a mixture, of the Biblical creation story with natural selection. We understand that evolution is not literally what is written in Genesis, but there are some who would like us to believe that a verse here and there lends itself to an evolutionary interpretation. If we lived in Augustine's time up to Aquinas, we would be seeing an attempt to mix Biblical Revelation with natural theology as proposed by Plato and Aristotle. Natural theology was the cultural norm for that age in the non Christian world just as evolution through natural selection is the norm for us today.

Dr. Colin Brown in his book, Philosophy and the Christian Faith, explains the difference between the two approaches, he writes, "In the Middle Ages two basic types of theology began to crystallize. On the one hand, there was natural theology according to which a genuine knowledge of God and his relationship with the world could be attained by rational reflection on the nature of things without having to appeal to Christian teaching. On the other hand, there was revealed theology which was concerned with what was disclosed to man by God through the revelation recorded in the scriptures... Revealed theology goes back to Biblical revelation, and Natural theology back to classical Greek philosophy of Plato and
Aristotle."1

The concept of God as "timeless" was part of natural theology and was understood not to be what the Bible literally says about God. It would be absurd to the Greek philosophers that God would talk to man or incarnate into the world, since to do so God would have to enter time which was not possible for him to do. Augustine struggles to have this "timeless" God to be the same God of time and incarnation, who talks to man and becomes man in Christ.

--Dave

Lon

Synthesis

Theologian R.C. Sproul states, "It is often said of Augustine that as Aquinas achieved a synthesis between Christian theology and Aristotelian philosophy, so Augustine achieved a synthesis between Christian theology and Platonic philosophy."18

We are living in a time when the theory of evolution is the cultural explanation for the existence of everything. There are some who advocate theistic evolution, which is an attempt to create a synthesis, or a mixture, of the Biblical creation story with natural selection. We understand that evolution is not literally what is written in Genesis, but there are some who would like us to believe that a verse here and there lends itself to an evolutionary interpretation. If we lived in Augustine's time up to Aquinas, we would be seeing an attempt to mix Biblical Revelation with natural theology as proposed by Plato and Aristotle. Natural theology was the cultural norm for that age in the non Christian world just as evolution through natural selection is the norm for us today.

Dr. Colin Brown in his book, Philosophy and the Christian Faith, explains the difference between the two approaches, he writes, "In the Middle Ages two basic types of theology began to crystallize. On the one hand, there was natural theology according to which a genuine knowledge of God and his relationship with the world could be attained by rational reflection on the nature of things without having to appeal to Christian teaching. On the other hand, there was revealed theology which was concerned with what was disclosed to man by God through the revelation recorded in the scriptures... Revealed theology goes back to Biblical revelation, and Natural theology back to classical Greek philosophy of Plato and
Aristotle."1

The concept of God as "timeless" was part of natural theology and was understood not to be what the Bible literally says about God. It would be absurd to the Greek philosophers that God would talk to man or incarnate into the world, since to do so God would have to enter time which was not possible for him to do. Augustine struggles to have this "timeless" God to be the same God of time and incarnation, who talks to man and becomes man in Christ.

--Dave

...........2+2=4...........
.............or...............
All Truth is God's Truth

Synthesis or subpoint? I still haven't gotten the link. I strongly suggest linking all website posts so that one can study on their own whether a thing said is propoganda or truth. I always provide links, I've nothing to hide. No links suggests indoctrination which, is really just propaganda, which, is really just half-truths and cannot be taken seriously by those who study. I study so cannot accept anything written just because there is a quote. Without context, there is no way to discern whether a quote is treated fairly. I'm not even addressing your point per say other than the title, I just want links links links.

eveningsky339

Synthesis

One thing needs to be clarified: was Aristotle trying to purposefully force a synthesis between Christian theology and Platonic philosophy or was he interpreting the Bible in light of the culture in which he was raised?

The nature of creation has been debated since the earliest days of the church. The Hebrew word for day, YOM, actually has three different meanings, and the structure of the Genesis account seems to indicate some sort of literary framework as opposed to literal recounting. Augustine argued for an instantaneous creation.

By studying the world around us, as God commanded, we have finally clarified the nature of creation: it was a lengthy process taking billions of years.

So theistic evolution is not a synthesis, it is the result of years of debate and study.

The concept of God as "timeless" was part of natural theology and was understood not to be what the Bible literally says about God.
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.

Psalm 19:1-2

It would be absurd to the Greek philosophers that God would talk to man or incarnate into the world, since to do so God would have to enter time which was not possible for him to do. Augustine struggles to have this "timeless" God to be the same God of time and incarnation, who talks to man and becomes man in Christ.
On the contrary, Augustine shows no indication of struggling to do this. It is absurd to think that a God who created time cannot even enter it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Time is not a created thing. Can you see it in a museum? If God responds in real space-time, our choices did not exist yet to be seen or known in eternity past. I could never wrap my head around 'eternal now' ideas, but accepted them as tradition and truth. Now that I understand a more biblical, coherent view, the theological and practical ramifications are thrilling. Rather than shrug shoulders and accept tradition as mystery or beyond or comprehension, why not embrace a view that is logically, philosophically, biblically sound (even if it does not always support speculative, theoretical, modern physics)?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well then, if you say that he knows and tells us what time is and also, as you say below, that you both agree as to what time is, why then do you shorten a quote from him to make it say: "What is time? I do not know"? And later say that…

“Nothing could be more ironic than this revered theologian saying that he doesn't know what time is on earth but he knows what eternity is in heaven.”

From the quotes I have posted previously we know that he did know what time is and you admit that he did and even agree with him on this point.

So, instead of doing this, why not frame the article on your page along the lines of: “While Augustine is right about what time is, and I agree with him, he is incorrect in saying that it doesn’t applies to God”? I would say that if you did this, the point you try to make on your page will be much clearer and your credibility, by giving an accurare representation of your "opponents", would get a boost.

Fair enough, it was not entirely clear if you were, but whatever the case, I wanted to show that he doesn’t believes that.

I don’t think that his reflections about time have the intention to distract his readers from the “irrationality” of his proposition. That amounts to saying that he was being intentionally deceptive.

I think you would do a better job on your page if you gave the saint a fairer and gentler treatment than you are doing now. As I said previously, it is alright if you disagree with him, but try to give an accurate representation of his views.

That said, I appreciate your receptiveness on this issue.

Evo

Thank you, I don't mind when someone will take the time to critique my site. I will continue to make adjustments and corrections when they are pointed out to me. On a website I try to say what I need to say in the shortest possible way, but as you saw, that can lead to misconceptions.

In my first quote of Augustine I simply wanted to shorten it. The term "ironic" is not derogatory, and I do quote exactly what Augustine said. There are actually two ironies that I see in his comments on time; the other one is that he says he cannot define time but then goes on to define it. My site is not about all that Augustine says about time, it's about his synthesis with Plato, which needs to be understood.

As to the issue of Augustine's motives, I believe he was willingly deceived into thinking he was doing God's work when he was not.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

...........2+2=4...........
.............or...............
All Truth is God's Truth

Synthesis or subpoint? I still haven't gotten the link. I strongly suggest linking all website posts so that one can study on their own whether a thing said is propoganda or truth. I always provide links, I've nothing to hide. No links suggests indoctrination which, is really just propaganda, which, is really just half-truths and cannot be taken seriously by those who study. I study so cannot accept anything written just because there is a quote. Without context, there is no way to discern whether a quote is treated fairly. I'm not even addressing your point per say other than the title, I just want links links links.

If you knew who Sproul is you would know that he is not an OVer, but he is a scholar and simply acknowledges what is historically true.

Here is the only link I know that deals with this subject accurately.

http://www.dynamicfreetheism.com/ :)

--Dave

eveningsky339

Time is not a created thing. Can you see it in a museum?
Quantum physics has proven that this universe is four-dimensional-- the fourth being time.

I could never wrap my head around 'eternal now' ideas, but accepted them as tradition and truth.
I can't wrap my head around them either... But does that mean they are wrong? I can't wrap my head around God's unwavering love and grace, but it is very much a part of a personal relationship with him.

Now that I understand a more biblical, coherent view, the theological and practical ramifications are thrilling.
Well then, let's cut to the heart of the matter! I would like to see a few passages that support OT. Most of the ones I've seen on TOL seem to support the... eh... interseting version of God as preached a few... choice members...

Rather than shrug shoulders and accept tradition as mystery or beyond or comprehension, why not embrace a view that is logically, philosophically, biblically sound (even if it does not always support speculative, theoretical, modern physics)?

I'm afraid modern physics is far from speculative. One look through a powerful telescope will reveal evidence of relativity (red shift). Or, you could simply ask the folks over at NASA about those mysterious things called black holes.

eveningsky339

Could you give a little explanation of this?

--Dave

Hmm, at my current level of intelligence that will be rocky, but here we go.

The first dimension is simple: a line. That's all.

The second dimension is a bit more complex. In order to reach the second dimension the line is squared, and thus a flat box is rendered.

The third dimension is where you square that box, and a cube is rendered. This is the state of being that most people tend to agree in which we exist.

Einstein came along and, with his various equations, showed that there is another component to our universe: time.

So, to put it simply, if you square the 3-d box, you have the fourth dimension. That is where we are right now.

As for all the other dimensions, most scientists believe that there are twelve at minimum, which means several other time dimensions located within the sub-atomic particles of atoms. But I do not bother with dimensions that do not pertain to me...

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
eveningsky339:

One thing needs to be clarified: was Aristotle (I think you mean Augustine) trying to purposefully force a synthesis between Christian theology and Platonic philosophy or was he interpreting the Bible in light of the culture in which he was raised?

What is the difference, and what is your point?

The nature of creation has been debated since the earliest days of the church. The Hebrew word for day, YOM, actually has three different meanings, and the structure of the Genesis account seems to indicate some sort of literary framework as opposed to literal recounting. Augustine argued for an instantaneous creation.

By studying the world around us, as God commanded, we have finally clarified the nature of creation: it was a lengthy process taking billions of years.

So theistic evolution is not a synthesis, it is the result of years of debate and study.

The Bible does not say the world evolved through natural selection it says God created it, which is why it is a synthesis.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.

Psalm 19:1-2

It is absurd to think that a God who created time cannot even enter it.

A God who is timeless cannot enter time because he would no longer be timeless. If God created time their would be a time in God before he created time.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hmm, at my current level of intelligence that will be rocky, but here we go.

The first dimension is simple: a line. That's all.

The second dimension is a bit more complex. In order to reach the second dimension the line is squared, and thus a flat box is rendered.

The third dimension is where you square that box, and a cube is rendered. This is the state of being that most people tend to agree in which we exist.

Einstein came along and, with his various equations, showed that there is another component to our universe: time.

So, to put it simply, if you square the 3-d box, you have the fourth dimension. That is where we are right now.

As for all the other dimensions, most scientists believe that there are twelve at minimum, which means several other time dimensions located within the sub-atomic particles of atoms. But I do not bother with dimensions that do not pertain to me...

Thank you for a definition, now how about an explanation of how Quantum physics proves time is a dimension.

--Dave