ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hi Clete:

I agree with you that Calvinism (supralapsarianism & infralapsarianism) makes God responsible for sin, which is a blasphemous thought.

As a settled theist, I find error in your statement that love is not possible without hate, although I'm not sure your statement is a settled vs. open theist issue.
I'm glad to see that you find error in the idea that love is not possible without hate because that isn't what I said.

Since you appear to have an astute knowledge of philosophy, isn’t your statement based on the “Hegelian Fallacy”? Wasn’t it Hegel who said, "For every thesis there must be an antithesis and when you put them together you have synthesis?"
I disagree that for every thesis there must be an antithesis.
God always existed without any such thing as an "anti-god" in existence with Him.

While the Hegelian Fallacy may be true in philosophy, I believe that in the Bible, both the thesis and the antithesis are true only if both are stated. Therefore, it cannot be assumed, it must be stated. While you may believe implicitly that your statement is Biblical, explicitly it does not hold up.
Since you are referring to a statement that I didn't actually make then I won't argue the point.

What would make you think that love is not possible without hate with God?
Love is not possible without the POSSIBILITY of hate. Hate is not the necessary condition for love, the possibility of hate is the necessary condition for love.

Get the difference?

The point is that love must be chosen. You cannot choose unless there are alternatives. God always chooses to act in the best interests of others, He always chooses to love. If He was incapable of choosing otherwise, as the Calvinist and all settled theists believe, then He is incapable of love, by definition. Without choice, any act that we would normally call an act of love would be relegated to the status of an accident of fate.

Resting in Him,
Clete

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Get the difference?

The point is that love must be chosen. You cannot choose unless there are alternatives. God always chooses to act in the best interests of others, He always chooses to love. If He was incapable of choosing otherwise, as the Calvinist and all settled theists believe, then He is incapable of love, by definition. Without choice, any act that we would normally call an act of love would be relegated to the status of an accident of fate.

Ok, I think I see what you are saying. Sorry I misunderstood you.

Correct me if I am wrong. You are saying that without the POSSIBILTIY of hate, love cannot exist. Love has to be chosen, and the only way someone (including God) can choose love is if an alternative (hate) is an option.

If this is correct, then I have to ask the following:

If God is Love, or better yet, if God is perfect love then what makes you think God has to make a choice in order to love us?

Since you said that you do not believe every thesis has to have an antithesis (I agree with you), and gave a great example by saying that God existed without an “anti-god”, then why can’t perfect love (God’s love) exist without the possibility of hate as an option?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You're assuming that godrulz is partnered with you in Christ.

Clete is not as thick as the peanut gallery. He does not have to agree with me on everything (peripheral) to discern our common faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (essential).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
In regards to Open Theism, here is something I've been thinking about lately...

Open Theists claim the Calvinist God is evil because he allows evil to occur for the greater good. But at the same time, Open Theists claim that their God simply sits back and allows evil to happen for no reason.

Which God is more evil? Hard to say.

This is stereotypical, not accurate.

Lon

I'm no longer addressing you in the third person.
Lon,

Okay, here's my cold, unemotional and fact based response to what you just said. This is what I would say to anyone I was talking to in any context under any circumstances that said what you just said.

YOU ARE STUPID!!!

Fact based and unemotional. I'll try to wrest that but 'you are stupid' is emotionally based rhetoric. If you really wanted to express this intellectually, you'd explain why it isn't a good question on my part. However, as with the ETS and other fine works of scholarship, there is precedence for the question: How is 'knowing all that is knowable' with stipulations 1) upon Omni (all)? and 2) why can't the same stipulations be applied to man? Boyd, Sanders, Pinnock, et al have major theological hurdles to overcome in rejecting and/or redefining the omni's. I find the OV definition of omni inaccurate and troubling. If that makes me stupid, so be it. Once redefined, I believe the omniscient definition from the OV "God can know all that is knowable" to be dangerously subjective to interpretation BECAUSE I can "know all that is knowable for me." My point was to draw attention to what I believe to be a problematic redefined term and what I believe should be worked on some more with clarity. Because nobody seemed to see these concerns, I pressed to an extreme. Well, I got your attention, but apparantly not for the right reason or for addressing the real concern. Seeing that you didn't seem to understand the premise, I then took a lot of time to point out my assessment and all I got for it from you was "You are stupid." I don't really care about the name calling, your personal assessment of me has nothing to do with the topic on the table so I ignore you because it appears not to be your concern either. Therefore I ignore you in hopes someone who actually wants to address the topic on the table will do so. If it doesn't stick or fly, fine. It means I assess incorrectly, that OVers don't want to deal with it, that I haven't made the argument well enough, or a few other considerations and reasons.

No other response is warranted.
All other responses would be a waste of time.
Which is why I ignore you and you me. Your retort here is non-engaging to me as well.

If you cannot figure it out on your own, no explanation will help! My neighbor's dog is smart enough to know that what you've said here is completely ridiculous nonsense and that discussing Open Theism is simply beyond your faculties.
We clearly have nothing to talk about then. I assert your neighbor's dog is nowhere near that intelligent and that your 9 year old wouldn't understand my question.
Either that or you knew that what you just said was utterly ridiculous when you said it, which makes you a bald faced liar and even then no explanation would be helpful.

I'm totally serious, Lon! Your take on the Open View understanding of omniscience is simply bizarre and is anything but "a logical assessment concerning the definition" and I have a hard time believing that you actually think otherwise.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Omniscience -OV dictionary

1) Able to know all that is knowable
2) Does not include knowing the absurd or that which is unknowable

Tell me which of the above does not apply to me when I finally know all that is knowable discluding that which is impossible for me to know as with God.
For me, I will never know hearts and minds, but this isn't logically knowable to me which still lines up with the OV definition. My objection to this definition has more to do with the limitation of 'all that is knowable' because I haven't the foggiest idea what isn't knowable to God. This is why a short-run of the definition is acceptable. It is when one seeks to make a partial list of what it does and does not include, it crosses the 'all' line and neutralizes the definition of Omni. It is like saying "it is all, but not all, all."
It is confusing so I pick a position that illustrates my point. I give OV an opportunity to show that the definition works despite my objection and instead of addressing the concern, I get this. If it were obvious, would I be confused with the OV definition? Would I try for many posts to get a response? I strongly assess that the theological terms and parameters of our respective positions carries assumptions on what we accept that the other does not so that there is much confusion or talking past one another in even the simplest of terms; Where I see a different culprit for OVer's not assessing the traditional stance correctly rather than stupidity.

It is in addressing the 'respective obvious' that I think must take place for us even to dialogue. We have whole subsets of givens that the other does not take for granted and in many cases is unaware of. This isn't stupidity, it is naivety. To your defense, I too sometimes think what I have to explain to OVer's makes points to simpletons. I too have to be careful not to fall into that trap. There are presets of granted suppositions (given's) that steer our doctrines. I do not know what givens support and distinguish as unique and adequately "knows all that is knowable, not the absurd or nonexistent." I also maintain that the redefinition needs further work with the subsets included because they are not obvious to those whose subsets differ. OVers coming from a traditional background would be more alert to granted truths respectively but it obviously doesn't go the other way. Most of us were never OVer's. Is there even an OVer turned to traditional yet?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Ok, I think I see what you are saying. Sorry I misunderstood you.

Correct me if I am wrong. You are saying that without the POSSIBILTIY of hate, love cannot exist. Love has to be chosen, and the only way someone (including God) can choose love is if an alternative (hate) is an option.

If this is correct, then I have to ask the following:

If God is Love, or better yet, if God is perfect love then what makes you think God has to make a choice in order to love us?
Because of the definition of the word "love".

I don't understand. I just explained this, didn't I? :confused:

Love is a choice, BY DEFINITION.

Since you said that you do not believe every thesis has to have an antithesis (I agree with you), and gave a great example by saying that God existed without an “anti-god”, then why can’t perfect love (God’s love) exist without the possibility of hate as an option?
Because of what the word "love" means. Hate doesn't have to actually exist (i.e. love's anti-thesis need not actually exist) for there to be love. In fact, the closer hate comes to not existing would be an excellent gauge to measure how perfect the love is.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Fact based and unemotional. I'll try to wrest that but 'you are stupid' is emotionally based rhetoric.
No, Lon. You don't get it. Statements of fact don't stop being statements of fact because they have an emotionally impact.

If you really wanted to express this intellectually, you'd explain why it isn't a good question on my part.
I did!

It's stupid! Brainless! Idiotic! Asinine! Ridiculous! Bizarre! Wacky! Strange! Goofy! Juvenile! Pedantic!

That's why its not a good question!

However, as with the ETS and other fine works of scholarship, there is precedence for the question: How is 'knowing all that is knowable' with stipulations 1) upon Omni (all)? and 2) why can't the same stipulations be applied to man?
Man is completely, utterly, totally and in all other ways absolutely incapable of knowing all that is knowable - period!

:doh::duh:

Boyd, Sanders, Pinnock, et al have major theological hurdles to overcome in rejecting and/or redefining the omni's. I find the OV definition of omni inaccurate and troubling.
I don't care anything about Boyd, Sander or Pinnock. My theology is not based on their teachings.

I also don't care what you find troubling because you're demonstrably stupid and unrepentantly so. Why would anyone give a rip what an idiot finds troubling?

If that makes me stupid, so be it.
What makes you stupid is your inability to think clearly and your refusal to entertain the possibility that you've made a gross error.

Once redefined, I believe the omniscient definition from the OV "God can know all that is knowable" to be dangerously subjective to interpretation BECAUSE I can "know all that is knowable for me."
You ARE stupid!

Guess what, Lon! YOU ARE NOT GOD!!!

You can take your "for me" phrase and stick it in your ear.

My point was to draw attention to what I believe to be a problematic redefined term and what I believe should be worked on some more with clarity. Because nobody seemed to see these concerns, I pressed to an extreme. Well, I got your attention, but apparantly not for the right reason or for addressing the real concern. Seeing that you didn't seem to understand the premise, I then took a lot of time to point out my assessment and all I got for it from you was "You are stupid."
Your efforts, which I read, only confirmed the accusation, Lon!

I don't really care about the name calling, your personal assessment of me has nothing to do with the topic on the table so I ignore you because it appears not to be your concern either.
I am not concerned with substantively dealing with the rantings of stupid people - you got me on that one..

Therefore I ignore you in hopes someone who actually wants to address the topic on the table will do so.
Why would anyone want to address such a blatantly ridiculous objection?

The OV person says, "The sky is blue!"

Lon objects, "Well, what if I said that the sky is red, for me!"?

The intelligent OV person replies, "You're stupid, Lon!"

No other response is rational!!!!

If it doesn't stick or fly, fine. It means I assess incorrectly, that OVers don't want to deal with it, that I haven't made the argument well enough, or a few other considerations and reasons.
OR that you are making a completely idiotic objection that isn't worth exploring.

Omniscience -OV dictionary

1) Able to know all that is knowable
2) Does not include knowing the absurd or that which is unknowable

Tell me which of the above does not apply to me when I finally know all that is knowable discluding that which is impossible for me to know as with God.
Number two is a redundancy, first of all.

You CANNOT know the mind of God - period.

There are probably thousands of points of information that you are utterly incapable of knowing but since one counter example is all that is needed, that's all I'll offer.

For me, I will never know hearts and minds, but this isn't logically knowable to me which still lines up with the OV definition.
Why do you keep throwing in the "for me" phrase?

Who cares if its knowable to you? We aren't talking about an attribute of Lon, we are talking about an attribute of God!!!!

Do you understand the difference there?

The phrase ",but this isn't logically knowable to me" is what kills you entire objection because the hearts and mind of every man, woman, child, angel and every other creature with a heart and a mind is all 100% knowable TO GOD!!!!

The fact that it is knowable to God and not to you is precisely what makes it a DIVINE attribute.

My objection to this definition has more to do with the limitation of 'all that is knowable' because I haven't the foggiest idea what isn't knowable to God.
It is irrelevant to define what is unknowable.

The point of the phrase is simply to say that our concept of God is not an irrational one, that God is not capable of doing the absurd, which would include knowing something that cannot be known. Just in the same way as God cannot be in a place that does not exist, He cannot do something that cannot be done.

This is why a short-run of the definition is acceptable. It is when one seeks to make a partial list of what it does and does not include, it crosses the 'all' line and neutralizes the definition of Omni. It is like saying "it is all, but not all, all."
All does not include that which does not exist, Lon!

All the apples in the orchard, does not include apples that are in some other orchard. All the apples that exists does not include imaginary apples or apples that never existed or that never will exist. All the apples in the word also does not include oranges or pears or pomegranates. All means all, not all plus everything else. All plus everything else, is an irrationality.

It is confusing so I pick a position that illustrates my point. I give OV an opportunity to show that the definition works despite my objection and instead of addressing the concern, I get this. If it were obvious, would I be confused with the OV definition?
Your confusion is evidence of your stupidity.

That's not a joke, Lon. I'm serious. There's nothing at all confusing about this unless your brain doesn't work right.

Would I try for many posts to get a response? I strongly assess that the theological terms and parameters of our respective positions carries assumptions on what we accept that the other does not so that there is much confusion or talking past one another in even the simplest of terms; Where I see a different culprit for OVer's not assessing the traditional stance correctly rather than stupidity.
No, its definitely stupidity.

In spite of that, I've tried and hopefully succeeded in explaining things so that you can understand them and see your error.

It is in addressing the 'respective obvious' that I think must take place for us even to dialogue.
Precisely what I've tried to do in this post.

We have whole subsets of givens that the other does not take for granted and in many cases is unaware of.
Yes, the problem of paradigms. I understand but no paradigm shift can be responsible for this level of brain dysfunction.

This isn't stupidity, it is naivety. To your defense, I too sometimes think what I have to explain to OVer's makes points to simpletons. I too have to be careful not to fall into that trap. There are presets of granted suppositions (given's) that steer our doctrines. I do not know what givens support and distinguish as unique and adequately "knows all that is knowable, not the absurd or nonexistent." I also maintain that the redefinition needs further work with the subsets included because they are not obvious to those whose subsets differ. OVers coming from a traditional background would be more alert to granted truths respectively but it obviously doesn't go the other way. Most of us were never OVer's. Is there even an OVer turned to traditional yet?
I think I might see the source of your problem.

You are trying to read our minds rather than the words we type. Stop trying to do that! Just read what we say and go with what the words mean. Look up what it means for something to be logically knowable. Look up what the words "absurd" and "irrational" mean. The OV isn't about redefining the Christian vernacular, its about having a theology is that rationally sound. We acknowledge that God knows everything but we don't make the irrational leap from that to say that God knows things that cannot be known, whatever those things might be.

Your theology has taught you that for God there is no such thing as an unknowable anything but your Bible doesn't teach you that and sound reason doesn't teach you that either. God is not irrational! Thus our theology proper should not be irrational either. In fact, the Bible teaches us that God is the very source of reason the very personification, the very incarnation of reason (John 1:1). We can therefore KNOW without any shadow of any doubt whatsoever than any doctrine that is irrational is both false and anti-Christ! We therefore conclude that God's knowledge is limited to that which rationally knowable.

Resting in Him,
Clete

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Love is a choice, BY DEFINITION.

Who's definition?

I agree with the definition as it pertains to human beings, but not with God.

However, when love pertains to God, I don't see God having a choice.

God is love, love can't choose hate, hate can't even be a possiblity.

What you are saying is like saying: "black can only be black if white is a possibility". White can't be a possibility because then black would not be black.

(Deut 32:4) He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright

Perfect cannot have possibilities.

oftenbuzzard

God hates sin.
Proverbs 6:16-19

16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
God hates individuals (Esau)
Malachi 1:2-3

2 "I have loved you," says the LORD But you say, "How have You loved us?" "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" declares the LORD "Yet I have loved Jacob;

3 but I have hated Esau, and I have made his mountains a desolation and appointed his inheritance for the jackals of the wilderness."

----

John 3:36

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

===

GAME OVER
Insert token
try again.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God hates sin.
Proverbs 6:16-19

16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
God hates individuals (Esau)
Malachi 1:2-3

2 "I have loved you," says the LORD But you say, "How have You loved us?" "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" declares the LORD "Yet I have loved Jacob;

3 but I have hated Esau, and I have made his mountains a desolation and appointed his inheritance for the jackals of the wilderness."
===
GAME OVER
Insert token
try again.

Thanks for the reply Buzz.

Clete's point was that God can only love if hate is a possibility. In other words, he is saying that God makes a choice when it comes to love.

I am saying that God does not make a choice when it comes to love because God is love.

oftenbuzzard

Clete's point was that God can only love if hate is a possibility. In other words, he is saying that God makes a choice when it comes to love.

I am saying that God does not make a choice when it comes to love because God is love.

God makes a choice consistent with His nature and purposes.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Love is volitional. God is personal and makes choices. Love chooses the highest good of God and others.

In relation to man's freedom, can we agree that the possibility of love (image of God) necessitates the equal possibility of not loving or there is no free will?

As to Aquinas, Anselm, etc. and being/metaphysics (God is love) vs morals/character (for God so loved....verb/action), we can agree to disagree in love.

Lon

No, Lon. You don't get it. Statements of fact don't stop being statements of fact because they have an emotionally impact.

I did!

It's stupid! Brainless! Idiotic! Asinine! Ridiculous! Bizarre! Wacky! Strange! Goofy! Juvenile! Pedantic!
It is still illaudible, ostentatious, mean-spirited, and you are incredibly thick-headed where truth is concerned. In other words, I don't talk to you any more because your retorts have nothing to do with the subject matter, nothing to do with intelligence like real dictionary words, nothing to do with theology, but all to do with your pet OV project. We call this asserting, insubstantial, boorish, indoctrination. Thank you however, for breaking character further down and engaging the subject matter. This is an interesting post in flip/flopping between these two dynamics.

That's why its not a good question!
Lon said:
That's why its not a good response!
Man is completely, utterly, totally and in all other ways absolutely incapable of knowing all that is knowable - period!

Oh yeah, I forgot. Just as God cannot know future acts of men, is sometimes mistaken, regrets, blunders in certain cases but is able to recoup, and changes His mind, all of which equate to not at all being omni anything. In other words, omni to an OT is a misnomer.

I don't care anything about Boyd, Sander or Pinnock. My theology is not based on their teachings.
Yes it is! Just because you don't know where what you believe comes from doesn't distance you. Enyart learned from Hill. Hill learned from these men. Without them, you have no OV.

I also don't care what you find troubling because you're demonstrably stupid and unrepentantly so. Why would anyone give a rip what an idiot finds troubling?
Nope, this is all you. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have breeched our mutual contract of engagement. So you are wrong on both counts.

What makes you stupid is your inability to think clearly and your refusal to entertain the possibility that you've made a gross error.
Asserting doesn't make any kind of intelligent case that I'm aware of. Keep working with it, maybe you'll find an avenue instead of a roadblock. Just recognize I'm not in the car with you. I got out and took a taxi away from this vitriol. You're on your own.

You ARE stupid!
So you keep telling me. Do you believe if you continue to assert that I eventually believe you? This is your retort to everyone. It is a one-hit wonder and your record has reached peak a long time ago. It didn't go platinum, gold, silver, iron, or lead.

Guess what, Lon! YOU ARE NOT GOD!!!
You can take your "for me" phrase and stick it in your ear.
"Oh no, you just shot my objection all to pieces with that there!"
OV gets to qualify and limit its own definition but the rest of us "better not touch that sacred cow." I get it.

Your efforts, which I read, only confirmed the accusation, Lon!
I'm way down the road past this. If you want me to hear, you are gonna have to yell otherwise I can't really hear you.

]I am not concerned with substantively dealing with the rantings of stupid people - you got me on that one..
Of course you are. Why would you break our mutual agreement to ignore one another over something like this uness you just like reading your own typing? Wait a second.....I may have just figured this out!

Why would anyone want to address such a blatantly ridiculous objection?
You mean like you are doing right now? I'd like to think it is because you think my position provocative. Perhaps you thought I'd have no strong basis for this and saw it as an easy irresistable 'win' in your debate repetiore and are now frustrated. Perhaps you just like reading your own words over and over again in self-infatuation.

The OV person says, "The sky is blue!"

Lon objects, "Well, what if I said that the sky is red, for me!"?

The intelligent OV person replies, "You're stupid, Lon!"

No other response is rational!!!!

So here it is, finally. Something intelligent from you even if you didn't mean it to be. The Open View redefines Omniscience. "Omniscience isn't really omniscience like the majority of Christians think. The term must be qualified."
When I come behind and say your assertion is wrong and hasn't been thought through very well, you come behind me and say "It's my ball, you are stupid! Only OVers get to play with this ball!"
So OV has the audacity to take a term we esteem highly and know what it means, redefine it, and we don't get to even question the redefiniton?
Do you wonder why theologians are starting to list OV as a cult? You make statements in here that JW's have said to me for years. You are probably TOL's worst nightmare in the long-run, you aren't helping them one bit.

OR that you are making a completely idiotic objection that isn't worth exploring.
So OV has the audacity to take a term we esteem highly and know what it means, redefine it, and we don't get to even question the redefiniton?

Number two is a redundancy, first of all.
I agree, it is rather that I'm trying to get you to consider each separately as pertaining to my trouble with the OV definition.

You CANNOT know the mind of God - period.
And this is my point of contention with the OV definition. It doesn't convey in the definition OV offers. Even though it is a stupid question to you, it allows for misconstruing. The definition is inaccurate. Because you are qualifying omni, it must be carefully worded what this does and does not allow. To try to pare God's qualities in any way shape or fashion, is not the answer. I believe OV bold in trying to do so and expect that answers should be purposeful and precise.
There are probably thousands of points of information that you are utterly incapable of knowing but since one counter example is all that is needed, that's all I'll offer.

Why do you keep throwing in the "for me" phrase?
Because the OV definition is stating what is knowable and not: "for God."
I'm trying to constrast it to 1) Show that it isn't precise enough 2) that it doesn't separate from man enough that it is a good definition for God.

Who cares if its knowable to you? We aren't talking about an attribute of Lon, we are talking about an attribute of God!!!!

Do you understand the difference there?

The phrase ",but this isn't logically knowable to me" is what kills you entire objection because the hearts and mind of every man, woman, child, angel and every other creature with a heart and a mind is all 100% knowable TO GOD!!!!

The fact that it is knowable to God and not to you is precisely what makes it a DIVINE attribute.
My problem: OV is attempting what I believe out of their league (and ours) but understandably necessary in rejecting the traditional view. It is trying to qualify a DIVINE attribute. This is a slippery slope and must be traversed much more carefully and much more accurately for it to be even considered. I'm trying to help you! We don't even want to consider any man's qualification of the divine attributes! What we speculate over but take for granted, OV has run with where angels fear to tread: analyzing and trying to humanly grasp those attributes that are His alone. In so doing, there is a real danger of inaccuracy for we are incapable of qualifying that which is God's alone. We'd rather be on the absurd or safe side of this debate saying God can make square-circles (though we don't believe it a good question) than to try and qualify as created limited intellectual humans something completely beyond us. As Enyart said in Battle Royale:

Enyart said:
Passages of God’s desire to forget sin are far more literal and “exhaustive” than any strained “proof-texts” for omniscience. We know that because these passages flow from the goodness and righteousness of God, whereas the omniscience “proof-texts” deal with quantity rather than quality. Thus they exaggerate the superficial at the expense of the substantive. No one can impose vulgar duty on God. Such basic biblical teaching shows that the non-biblical term “omniscience” overstates the truth.

It is irrelevant to define what is unknowable.
Then why do it other than to separate from the rest of Christianity?
This is why I don't necessarily believe OV to warrant cult status, at least not yet. It is still in dialogue with us where we dialogue but it is beginning to purposefully separate on these philosophical ponderings and congeal.
I'm saying fix whatever is vague so that the rest of us discern and assess rightly. Of course I'm being pedantic. I believe it necessary for 1) grasping any similarity and divergence between OV and the rest of orthodoxy and 2) for congealing on important distinctions. If there is a vague idea about an OV term, it should not be seen as an opportunity to stab the guy asking the question but 1) if pedantic, a gentle and appropriate answer rather than overblown rhetoric. 2) if irrelevant, showing it as such by ignoring it and moving on rather than breaking a mutual agreement or quickly pointing to the answer and moving on.

The point of the phrase is simply to say that our concept of God is not an irrational one, that God is not capable of doing the absurd, which would include knowing something that cannot be known. Just in the same way as God cannot be in a place that does not exist, He cannot do something that cannot be done.
I agree. My point however is that the definition must necessarily not be even vaguely applicable to man. It is again, a difficult proposition to try and qualify the divine attributes for exactly this reason. We are using human terms to try and explain that which isn't created or comprehensible. It MUST take a very careful tread. This is why I believe the traditional perspective that includes the mysteries of that which is divine to be a stronger position. It guards against it.

All does not include that which does not exist, Lon!
It does. Again, all that is unicorns, God knows. Once we set out a proposition, even imaginitive, God knows it. Whatever Yoda is eating now, God knows according to whoever is imagining it. It is Luke's astronaut food stick, swamp stew. God has to know the future (both of men and His own counsel) or there wouldn't be prophets or need of them.

All the apples in the orchard, does not include apples that are in some other orchard. All the apples that exists does not include imaginary apples or apples that never existed or that never will exist. All the apples in the word also does not include oranges or pears or pomegranates. All means all, not all plus everything else. All plus everything else, is an irrationality.
Not when I can imagine it and God knows that imagination thoroughly. An imaginitive apple is an apple, not a pear, not an orange. Again, I'm trying to caution putting parameters on the divine attributes, not playing sci-fi. The common retort is that these things aren't knowable, but they are. God knows what is imaginitive because our very examples are knowable objects. We cannot think of anything that God couldn't or doesn't know. It is pure assertion to say that God cannot know the future and is only ever said because it seems to contradict that spark of freewill. This is the only reason to even attempt to place a parameter of some kind upon God's knowledge. It is suppositionally driven but dangerously so.

Your confusion is evidence of your stupidity.
Obviously, oh great wise learned one.

That's not a joke, Lon. I'm serious.
I know you are. At least I reasonably assume so.
There's nothing at all confusing about this unless your brain doesn't work right.
Thank you, may I have another?
No, its definitely stupidity.
In spite of that, I've tried and hopefully succeeded in explaining things so that you can understand them and see your error.

Precisely what I've tried to do in this post.

Yes, the problem of paradigms. I understand but no paradigm shift can be responsible for this level of brain dysfunction.
I think I might see the source of your problem.

You are trying to read our minds rather than the words we type. Stop trying to do that! Just read what we say and go with what the words mean. Look up what it means for something to be logically knowable. Look up what the words "absurd" and "irrational" mean. The OV isn't about redefining the Christian vernacular, its about having a theology is that rationally sound. We acknowledge that God knows everything but we don't make the irrational leap from that to say that God knows things that cannot be known, whatever those things might be.

Your theology has taught you that for God there is no such thing as an unknowable anything but your Bible doesn't teach you that and sound reason doesn't teach you that either. God is not irrational! Thus our theology proper should not be irrational either. In fact, the Bible teaches us that God is the very source of reason the very personification, the very incarnation of reason (John 1:1). We can therefore KNOW without any shadow of any doubt whatsoever than any doctrine that is irrational is both false and anti-Christ! We therefore conclude that God's knowledge is limited to that which rationally knowable.

Resting in Him,
Clete
This is understood, but again the reasoning behind it (it is a drive I have, I always want to know what someone is thinking for stating or doing what they do) is a desire to preserve freewill in even attempting to limit or qualify. Without this, there is no necessity to try. It is taking a human concerned paradigm and readjusting the divine rather than taking a divine paradigm and adjusting the human paradigm. The paramount will logically impair one way or the other because there is a paradox between freewill and determinism. HyperCalvinism is on one extreme and OVers on the other. I suspect the answer is neither and untenuable where humans are concerned in our present economy of knowledge base (that is, I am and have been asserting and assessed as absurd by you, that we don't have the tools for the job and are breaking things in trying to do a job that isn't ours to do nor within our capabilities, this has been unsuccessfully attempted throughout the whole of history). I'm saying stop while the OV is saying "No, I can do this." I'm saying things are getting broken and our job is now doubled. This particular question is minute in that I'm saying this wrench doesn't work on that screw as a particular to the whole project. The traditional stance has been less than speculative not because we are being lazy, but because we are binning the attributes of God in unknowable categories. We may have put a few tools and supplies where they don't belong, but because they are His, they are not appropriately usable by us. In philosophy, we play with where things 'might' go, but it isn't really tenuable by us. I think the difference is, we speculate, and OV grabs up those tools and bangs away and we assess some of the tools being used inappropriately, others as being questionable, but all tools belonging to Him where we can touch, but should not break or go beyond what is clear so that nothing gets theologically broken and His things are treated with respect. Of course we are into a sibling spat over it. It logically follows for our respective concerns.

PaulMcNabb

If I were in a church, with a leader I greatly loved, and these types of vagueness's started appearing where our paradigms of truth start to blur. I'd leave that church in a heartbeat.
Yet every religious system has vagueness somewhere. You seemed to be concerned that "these types of vaguenesses" are critical. That is just a personal preference for you, and if you require a systematic theology as the basis of your faith, they you will indeed be uncomfortable with many religions.

Personally, I am not troubled by them at all. They seem pretty peripheral to me. But that should be surprising since my current religious views are much more based on a narrative theology than a systematic theology. And I would contend that both Old Testament Judaism and New Testament Christianity had little to do with the systematic theologies that sprang into being in later centuries and which seem to be so important to so many Christians today.

Once orthodoxy is shucked, the truth is relative to the beholder.
Of course this is simply not true. Rejecting your particular brand of orthodoxy is not equivalent to embracing relative truth.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Who's definition?
THE definition.

The definition of words is not a matter of opinion.

I agree with the definition as it pertains to human beings, but not with God.
Why?

On what rational basis have you come to this conclusion or is it an arbitrary assumption or what?

However, when love pertains to God, I don't see God having a choice.
I understand that sentences like this are more or less simply a manner of speaking but I wish you would try to be a bit more formal with the words you use. We don't have the luxury of reading one another's voice inflections and body language and so all we have is the words on the page with to communicate our thoughts. With that in mind, when I read something like "I don't see..." my gut reaction is, "I don't care about what you don't see. What I care about is what you can prove or disprove with rationally sound arguments and rhetorical evidence."

If you would like to make an attempt to establish that God's love is somehow fundamentally different that the love He wants us to have for Him and for one another, then I'd be happy to read it.

God is love but love is not God! You do not worship love, you worship He in whom love finds its source, its fullest and purest possible expression. Do you understand the distinction?

The Bible says explicitly that God is love but it also says just as explicitly that God is a lot of other things as well, not the least of which is reason (i.e. Logos). The thing to remember though is that these are concepts used to describe God not the other way around. In other words, to say that God is Love or that God is Logic is to describe God not love or or logic. We do not worship love or logic or justice or righteousness or kindness or patience, we worship the God who gives source to those concepts.

Notice that all of the things I've mentioned as divine attributes are all meaningless unless their antithesis is possible. Being just (i.e. righteous) is meaningless unless you have chosen to act righteously, you cannot be credited with being kind unless you were capable of being unkind and chose kindness, etc. All morality is contingent on contingency. Without choice there is no such thing as right and wrong.

What you are saying is like saying: "black can only be black if white is a possibility". White can't be a possibility because then black would not be black.
Yes it would be!

For white to be white doesn't require for black to be actual but the presence of white does imply the possibility of black.

By the way, I don't want to get stuck on this black and white analogy. Analogies are notorious for breaking down when pressed to hard and it is no more difficult to stick with discussing love and hate than it is black and white and so lets stick with love and hate, shall we?

(Deut 32:4) He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright
Amen!

Notice that this verse says nothing at all about what God is capable of doing but simply states what He does in fact do. As I said before, the absence of evil is what defines righteousness as perfect.

Perfect cannot have possibilities.
Why not?

Who told you this?

Where does it say this in the Bible?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lon

Yet every religious system has vagueness somewhere. You seemed to be concerned that "these types of vaguenesses" are critical. That is just a personal preference for you, and if you require a systematic theology as the basis of your faith, they you will indeed be uncomfortable with many religions.

Personally, I am not troubled by them at all. They seem pretty peripheral to me. But that should be surprising since my current religious views are much more based on a narrative theology than a systematic theology. And I would contend that both Old Testament Judaism and New Testament Christianity had little to do with the systematic theologies that sprang into being in later centuries and which seem to be so important to so many Christians today.

Of course this is simply not true. Rejecting your particular brand of orthodoxy is not equivalent to embracing relative truth.

God provides doctrinal statements. He gives us books presenting narrative to show doctrine in action but God nowhere neglects books of Doctrine and addressing these concerns in even narrative literature. Rather, because Mormonism is built entirely upon narrative, to the neglect of the pedantic, of course we totally unequivocally disagree. Again, Joseph Smith died with a gun in his hand, is historically accused of being a philanderer, was clearly delusional (weighs heavily only if one is committed to Biblical doctrine and absolute truth), was a false-prophet and his followers heretics for not stoning him.
Act 2:42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

Doctrine is imperative for discerning truth from error. The truths of God are pedantic.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes it is! Just because you don't know where what you believe comes from doesn't distance you.
You're not only stupid, you're an ***. I know more about Open Theism than you ever will.

Enyart learned from Hill. Hill learned from these men.
Not so!

Bob Hill has been teaching Open Theism longer than you've been alive.

Without them, you have no OV.
Not so! And I suspect you knew that this wasn't so when you said it.

I agree that these men are responsible for popularizing the doctrine in modern times and for having coined the term "open theism" but that isn't the same thing and you know it. Open Theism is nothing new, its simply old Christianity with all the Biblical unsupportable bits removed. Its effectively the Reformation Mark II. Just as Luther wasn't formulating anything new so much as he was removing the Catholic barnacles from the true Biblical faith, the OV movement is doing the same with pagan Greek philosophy and leaving, as John Sanders put it, "a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..."

Nope, this is all you. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have breeched our mutual contract of engagement. So you are wrong on both counts.
You are in fact a blithering idiot.

I can't even believe you wrote that. :rotfl:

Asserting doesn't make any kind of intelligent case that I'm aware of. Keep working with it, maybe you'll find an avenue instead of a roadblock. Just recognize I'm not in the car with you. I got out and took a taxi away from this vitriol. You're on your own.
If vitriol is what you deserve then that's what you get from me.

All you have to do is stop saying stupid things.

So you keep telling me. Do you believe if you continue to assert that I eventually believe you?
No, I believe the exact opposite.

This is your retort to everyone.
You're not only stupid, you're a liar. You knew when you said this that it wasn't so.

I call only stupid people, stupid. I detect stupid people by reading their posts. When they say something stupid and then I refute their stupidity and then they repeat their stupidity like I never said anything or as though I said the exact opposite of what I actually said and then after trying at least once more to correct their error they continue repeating their stupidity then that tells me that I'm dealing with someone who hasn't simply made a stupid mistake but rather is in fact actually stupid.

You qualify! When you repent then you'll get treated with respect and dignity. Until then you won't and I will use you and your posts in any way I personally decide is in my best interests whether you like it or not.

"Oh no, you just shot my objection all to pieces with that there!"
OV gets to qualify and limit its own definition but the rest of us "better not touch that sacred cow." I get it.
Typical response from someone who is incapable of thinking clearly.

You don't get to tweak our definition and then object to it on the basis of YOUR OWN TWEAK!!!!

Of course you are. Why would you break our mutual agreement to ignore one another over something like this
Because I didn't want to ignore it. And if you'll recall I didn't deal with it substantively, I simply piped up to point out that you're a blithering idiot on the basis that you claim to be omniscient - by any definition.

You mean like you are doing right now? I'd like to think it is because you think my position provocative. Perhaps you thought I'd have no strong basis for this and saw it as an easy irresistable 'win' in your debate repetiore and are now frustrated. Perhaps you just like reading your own words over and over again in self-infatuation.
How low do you have your bar set in regards to defining a "substantive conversation"?

This is not what I would call a deep and thought provoking conversation, Lon. This is more like me having fun seeing how many opportunities you are going to give me to remind the world that you're an idiot.

And "strong basis"! Are you kidding me! You don't have any basis at all! You change the definition of a term and then object to the definition on the basis of the change that you introduced!

It's absolutely laughable!

:chuckle: Strong basis! :chuckle:

So here it is, finally. Something intelligent from you even if you didn't mean it to be. The Open View redefines Omniscience. "Omniscience isn't really omniscience like the majority of Christians think. The term must be qualified."
When I come behind and say your assertion is wrong and hasn't been thought through very well, you come behind me and say "It's my ball, you are stupid! Only OVers get to play with this ball!"
There is no qualification!!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You're killing me!!!

There is no redefinition!!!

Omniscience means to know everything - period.

The addition of the word "knowable" before the period is, in reality, a redundancy. We only say it so as to point out that the typical Christian takes the concept further than is rational.

You are the only one redefining anything with this "to me" nonsense.

Do you wonder why theologians are starting to list OV as a cult?
No, I know why. It has nothing to do with theology.

You make statements in here that JW's have said to me for years.
I met a JW once who thought the sky was blue!

Imagine that! :noway:

We've not redefined it, you have. We're simply taking it back and using the term correctly and rationally.

And this is my point of contention with the OV definition. It doesn't convey in the definition OV offers. Even though it is a stupid question to you, it allows for misconstruing. The definition is inaccurate. Because you are qualifying omni, it must be carefully worded what this does and does not allow. To try to pare God's qualities in any way shape or fashion, is not the answer. I believe OV bold in trying to do so and expect that answers should be purposeful and precise.
There is no redefinition. Omniscient means to know everything.

Because the OV definition is stating what is knowable and not: "for God."
I'm trying to constrast it to 1) Show that it isn't precise enough 2) that it doesn't separate from man enough that it is a good definition for God.
"for God" would be redundant. The context of the conversation is divinity and the traits thereof. To say that God is omniscient is to say that God knows everything.

My problem: OV is attempting what I believe out of their league (and ours) but understandably necessary in rejecting the traditional view.
It is trying to qualify a DIVINE attribute. This is a slippery slope and must be traversed much more carefully and much more accurately for it to be even considered.
There is no qualification apart from requiring that our doctrine remain with the confines of reality.

I'm trying to help you!
I do not need nor want your help.

We don't even want to consider any man's qualification of the divine attributes!
You have no choice. Even the requirement of there being no qualifications is itself a qualification which you've imposed arbitrarily.

Surely you must agree that God is limited to reality, right? I mean not even I believe that you're stupidity extends so deep as to cause you to accept as possible the idea that God is both real and not real.

What we speculate over but take for granted, OV has run with where angels fear to tread: analyzing and trying to humanly grasp those attributes that are His alone.
Your doctrine is not magically off limits because it happens to be your theology proper.

It is your doctrine that teaches you that God knows everything including things that are unknowable.

It is your doctrine that also teaches you to take for granted such a blatant contradiction.

You and your doctrine are what I'm questioning, not God and His attributes. God is who He is and will remain so regardless of my theology or yours. He is neither afraid of nor bothered by our examination of these issues so long as our goal is to know and to accept the truth about Him and His Word, which was given to us so that we might know Him and the fullness of His loving kindness toward us in Christ.

In so doing, there is a real danger of inaccuracy for we are incapable of qualifying that which is God's alone.
You just did!

We'd rather be on the absurd or safe side of this debate saying God can make square-circles (though we don't believe it a good question) than to try and qualify as created limited intellectual humans something completely beyond us.
Well I don't believe it.

I feel like deleting everything else in this whole post and quoting only this single sentence. How rare it is to find someone who had sunk to such depths of intellectual depravity as to openly and blatantly admit that he would rather be irrational than to question his own doctrine.

You can expect that I will be quoting you on this, Lon. Repeatedly.

As Enyart said in Battle Royale:
Bob Enyart said:
Passages of God’s desire to forget sin are far more literal and “exhaustive” than any strained “proof-texts” for omniscience. We know that because these passages flow from the goodness and righteousness of God, whereas the omniscience “proof-texts” deal with quantity rather than quality. Thus they exaggerate the superficial at the expense of the substantive. No one can impose vulgar duty on God. Such basic biblical teaching shows that the non-biblical term “omniscience” overstates the truth.
Bob is so right!

The idea that God is omniscient is entirely unbiblical.

Then why do it other than to separate from the rest of Christianity?
The reason it is irrelevant to define what is unknowable is because you, by having used the word 'omniscient', have already presupposed the concept of "to know". Unknowable is simply the negation of knowable. In other words, by saying that God knows everything, the exception of those things which cannot be known is implied.

Paul explained a similar situation when discussing the fact that all things will be placed under Jesus' feet. All things does not include God the Father and it not necessary to explain that. Its implied. Obvious. Simple.

Put another way, you'd have to be stupid not to understand it!!!

God can't know the unknowable because if He did know it then it wouldn't be unknowable! Thus to say that God knows everything knowable, while technically accurate, is a redundancy. The point in saying it that way isn't about redefining the word but rather is to point out that a lot of people have taken it to mean something that it could not possibly mean.

This is why I don't necessarily believe OV to warrant cult status, at least not yet.
Nobody cares what you believe is necessary.

I'm saying fix whatever is vague so that the rest of us discern and assess rightly.
It is not incumbent upon the Open Theist to explain the doctrine so that the stupidest people among us can understand it.

Of course I'm being pedantic. I believe it necessary for 1) grasping any similarity and divergence between OV and the rest of orthodoxy and 2) for congealing on important distinctions. If there is a vague idea about an OV term, it should not be seen as an opportunity to stab the guy asking the question but 1) if pedantic, a gentle and appropriate answer rather than overblown rhetoric. 2) if irrelevant, showing it as such by ignoring it and moving on rather than breaking a mutual agreement or quickly pointing to the answer and moving on.
This would be true if the objection weren't so stupid.

I agree. My point however is that the definition must necessarily not be even vaguely applicable to man.
Only an idiot would think it was.

Go ahead and blow that off but I'm not saying that merely to be insulting. You're objection is beyond ridiculous.

It is again, a difficult proposition to try and qualify the divine attributes for exactly this reason.
You just did it - just now - when you wrote the next sentence.

We are using human terms to try and explain that which isn't created or comprehensible.
So you admit once again that your doctrine is irrational!

Geeze, Lon! Why didn't you say so in the first place?!

What the Hell is the point of debating something that you believe must be irrational to be correct?

How would you suggest one proceed in any attempt to analyze something that is intentionally irrational?

Do you understand the concept of falsifiability and why it is important?

It MUST take a very careful tread.
WHY?

If its irrational who gives a damn how careful you are with it?
What are you afraid of; that your going to accidentally turn into something that makes sense?

This is why I believe the traditional perspective that includes the mysteries of that which is divine to be a stronger position. It guards against it.
It guards against what? The ability to question orthodoxy? The ability to potentially falsify one's religious beliefs? The ability to meaningfully ask, "Is this really true?"?

That in the world are you guarding against, Lon? You're ability to think?

This is stupidity on the level of Nang and AMR.

Outrageous!

Again, all that is unicorns, God knows.
Which is nothing. Unicorns do not exist in reality. If they are imaginary then God knows the imaginings of people but that doesn't turn imaginary things into real things.

Once we set out a proposition, even imaginitive, God knows it.
He knows it as a proposition, not as reality.

God knows about Darth Vader but that doesn't mean Darth Vader is real!

Whatever Yoda is eating now, God knows according to whoever is imagining it.
Yoda does not exist except as a figment of people's imaginations and popular folk lore and fairy tales. God knows those this as such and that does not make them real. Yoda is not real!

Why am I having to argue that Yoda is not real?

Are you seriously trying to convince me that you aren't stupid? If so, you probably should try a different tactic!

It is Luke's astronaut food stick, swamp stew. God has to know the future (both of men and His own counsel) or there wouldn't be prophets or need of them.
STUPIDITY!!!

If the future could not be predicted there wouldn't be weather men.

Imagine that! Mere mortal men able to predict the future with some useful level of accuracy!

You're probably right though. God is so inept that unless He were able to sneak a peak into the future, He'd probably never get anything right. We're stupid (by comparison with God) and so we can only get thing right a day or so in advance. God must really be a brainless twit seeing as how He has access to any and all points of fact that pertain to any prediction He might want to make and still He is unable to predict a thing without having to look up the answer in the back of the cosmic book.

Not when I can imagine it and God knows that imagination thoroughly.
Your imagination is known as imagination. If you imagine an apple, it doesn't cause a real apple to pop into existence.

An imaginitive apple is an apple, not a pear, not an orange.
I'd like to see you eat the apple. I'd like to see you slice it and get a seed from it and plant it and grow it in your back yard.

Read the following sentence very very sloooowwwllllyyyy...

An - imaginary - apple - is -not - a - real - apple, - its - an - imaginary - apple, - Lon!

Again, I'm trying to caution putting parameters on the divine attributes, not playing sci-fi.
You just did - again!

The common retort is that these things aren't knowable, but they are. God knows what is imaginitive because our very examples are knowable objects. We cannot think of anything that God couldn't or doesn't know. It is pure assertion to say that God cannot know the future and is only ever said because it seems to contradict that spark of freewill.
It does not "seem to contradict". There have been very specific rational arguments put forward that prove that it does in fact contradict.

Why would that matter to you anyway? Who gives a rip if something contradicts within an irrational worldview? If nothing contradicted, your whole "human reasoning" argument would be for naught, right?

This is the only reason to even attempt to place a parameter of some kind upon God's knowledge. It is suppositionally driven but dangerously so.
Everything is suppositionally driven, Lon. EVERYTHING!
The only question is whether it is done so rationally or not.

This is understood, but again the reasoning behind it (it is a drive I have, I always want to know what someone is thinking for stating or doing what they do) is a desire to preserve freewill in even attempting to limit or qualify. Without this, there is no necessity to try.
Freewill is not the presupposition. The character of God, His justice, love and righteousness (i.e. God's qualitative attributes) is the presupposition. From which, both free will and an understanding that God cannot know the future exhaustively follow necessarily.

It is taking a human concerned paradigm and readjusting the divine rather than taking a divine paradigm and adjusting the human paradigm.
You are wrong as explained above. It goes much deeper than free will. Free will is only another of several conclusions which follow inextricably from the foundational presupposition that God is personal, relational, rational, good, and loving.

The paramount will logically impair one way or the other because there is a paradox between freewill and determinism.
It isn't a paradox, its a contradiction. There is a difference, although I wouldn't expect you to know what it is.

HyperCalvinism is on one extreme and OVers on the other.
Thanks for the compliment.

I suspect the answer is neither and untenuable where humans are concerned in our present economy of knowledge base (that is, I am and have been asserting and assessed as absurd by you, that we don't have the tools for the job and are breaking things in trying to do a job that isn't ours to do nor within our capabilities, this has been unsuccessfully attempted throughout the whole of history).
If this were really the way things were, no truth claim could ever be falsified. Any objection to any truth claim whatsoever could be met with, "Well, we can't understand it because we poor stupid miserable human beings don't have the tools for the job of understanding such high and lofty ideas."

I'm saying stop while the OV is saying "No, I can do this."
Its the other way around. You want to blast right past the barrier of rationality and we are saying "NO! You can't do that!"

I'm saying things are getting broken and our job is now doubled.
I'm saying you're broken and am explaining explicitly why, and how you can fix it.

This particular question is minute in that I'm saying this wrench doesn't work on that screw as a particular to the whole project.
David Koresh likely made the same sort of comment when confronted about the truth of his Messiahship.

The traditional stance has been less than speculative not because we are being lazy, but because we are binning the attributes of God in unknowable categories.
The attributes you are referring to are unbiblical and irrational!

If the Bible came right out and stated that God can do anything anyone can image then you might have a leg to stand on but it doesn't say that! The Bible never describes God in the irrational way the "traditional stance" describes Him. Aristotle described his god that way but the Bible never does.

We may have put a few tools and supplies where they don't belong, but because they are His, they are not appropriately usable by us. In philosophy, we play with where things 'might' go, but it isn't really tenuable by us. I think the difference is, we speculate, and OV grabs up those tools and bangs away and we assess some of the tools being used inappropriately, others as being questionable, but all tools belonging to Him where we can touch, but should not break or go beyond what is clear so that nothing gets theologically broken and His things are treated with respect. Of course we are into a sibling spat over it. It logically follows for our respective concerns.
How in the world can you sit there and say something about how something "logically follows" from the irrational? :bang:

Can you really be that blind?

You type this big paragraph about how we don't have the tools to understand God's attributes (i.e. you can't apply logic to theology proper) and then end it with a sentence about how something "logically follows"! Where exactly to do think our ability to reason comes from, Lon? Where do you think the concept of logic gets its meaning?

Where's my duct tape! I think my head is going to explode!

Resting in Him,
Clete