ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

themuzicman

RobE said:
John 6:37All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.​

Draws or gives?

OK, I'm going to throw in a little Greek, here, because I think it's important.

The "All" at the beginning of verse 37 is Neuter. The "whoever comes", on the other hand, is masculine. In some way or another, Jesus is drawing a distintion through the use of two genders.

Thus, the verse should read, "All things that the Father gives t me will come to me, and the one who comes to me, I will never drive away."

Now, this is significant, because He does the same thing in verses 39 and 40.

John 6 - 39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."​

In 39, it should say, "all things that He has given Me, I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day."

And, if we read verse 40, we find that Jesus has expressed God's will in two ways, clearly paralleling verse 37. In 40, those who belond and believe will have eternal life, and Christ will raise him upon the last day.

Why the separation? Why the repeition? I think the implication, here, is that not only will men come to Christ, but that all things (creation) are given to Him, and He will raise it on the last day, as well.

I don't see how it makes sense from a grammatical standpoint any other way.

John 6:64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.​

Known before?

If drawing is required to be able to come, then some weren't drawn.

John 6:70Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71(He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)​

I wonder how Jesus foreknew this?

God's smarter than you think,
Rob

I never said God was dumb. In fact, He's smart enough to bring about events in such a way that 11 of the 12 disciples become true to Him, and one of them, who was known from the beginning, betrays Him.

It was all part of the plan. No EDF required.

Michael

koban

themuzicman said:
I believe your local strawman 503 will be by this afternoon to have a chat with you about your abuse and burning of their fellow members.

Muz

See why I don't bother reading his :pureX: ?

Much more effecient to go right to the mocking!

:mock:Jimbo

RobE

themuzicman said:
The refernce to "knowing" in that last verse sounds very epistimological, to me.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

Unfortunately for your argument, 'become' is the point and knowing is the adjective.

Rob said:
For man to be "made" in His image would include man having the knowledge of good and evil.
Michael said:
Why? Do you claim that Adam was omniscient?

No. I claim that without the knowledge of good and evil the law/love has no meaning and that knowledge combined with the rejection of evil are part of God's essence.

Rob said:
Adam had no way of overcoming his own 'nature' without Jesus Christ because He is the ONLY way to the Father.

Michael said:
So, Adam was created with a sinful nature?

No. Adam was created with the capacity to sin and in an eternity was bound to sin. With the introduction of the Law(Romans 7) Adam's desire to sin increased. The whole purpose of the garden perhaps.

Michael said:
I believe Pelagianism said that post-fall man could save himself. I know I certainly don't embrace that.

Maybe you should re-read your scenario above.

Rob said:
Our very essence must change or be condemned according to His word.

Michael said:

John 7:39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

John 12:23 Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

John 15:4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

John 17: 24 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

Shall I continue throught the scriptures about flesh begets flesh; and Spirit begets spirit. You know there is an ontological change in those who become one with Him. The Vine and the branches.

Local Branch,
Rob

RobE

John 6:64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.

Rob: Known before?

Michael: If drawing is required to be able to come, then some weren't drawn.

So God chose those who would come and those who wouldn't by drawing or not drawing them.
Predestination or election?

Rob

RobE

Rob said:
John 6:70 Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71(He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)

I wonder how Jesus foreknew this?

Michael said:
I never said God was dumb. In fact, He's smart enough to bring about events in such a way that 11 of the 12 disciples become true to Him, and one of them, who was known from the beginning, betrays Him.

Are you saying that God made Judas betray Him?

The Holy Scripture
John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.​

Yet Open Theism/LFW doesn't allow God to know from the beginning that one was doomed to destruction, do they?

Local Branch,
Rob

themuzicman

RobE said:
Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

Unfortunately for your argument, 'become' is the point and knowing is the adjective.

Well, that's fine, but if I train you to be an Oracle DBA, and then I say, "Now, you've become like me, in that you know Oracle", does that imply an ontological change on your part? One may "become like" in an ontological way, but one may "become like" in an epistiomolgoical and ethical way, as well.

The adjective tells is how Adam and Eve became like God, in this case, epistimologically (and ethically, since this appears to be experiential.)

No. I claim that without the knowledge of good and evil the law/love has no meaning and that knowledge combined with the rejection of evil are part of God's essence.

Well, the verse you cited (and the name of the tree itself) seems to point to the fact that Adam and Eve had now gained the knowlege of good and evil after eating of the tree. Granted that Adam and Eve had one command to follow, so that might be considered a law, which was sufficient to meet your requirements, but they certainly had not experienced evil in any way before they met the serpent.

No. Adam was created with the capacity to sin and in an eternity was bound to sin. With the introduction of the Law(Romans 7) Adam's desire to sin increased. The whole purpose of the garden perhaps.

You're bumping into the problem of evil, here. If you're saying that the command not to eat of the tree was designed to arouse "the evil passions of flesh", then Adam already has evil passions and a sinful nature pre-fall:

Romans 7 - 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were [aroused] by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death.​

So, I find a problem with God declaring creation (and mankind) to be "very good", and yet Adam has these evil passions from a sinful nature just waiting for a law to violate.

Maybe you should re-read your scenario above.

Sorry, but the Pelagian would be saying that you swim to shore yourself. The semi-pelagian would say that the coast guard drops a boat, and you row yourself ashore.

The whole point of the analogy was that the Coast Guard is the one who saves you, even though you grab the rope (which is faith in Christ, not Christ Himself.) It's just silly to say that you save yourself because you grab the rope.

John 7:39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Receiving the Spirit is an ontological change?

John 12:23 Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

Jesus is first speaking of His own death. Are you saying that God underwent an ontological change? (Oh, a seed grows up in the ontology in which it was planted. You don't plant corn and get tomatoes, so I don't think that's an ontological change, either.)

John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Again, receiving the spirit is an ontological change?

John 15:4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

This analogy can be taken any number of ways.

John 17: 24 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

I see a lot of "known", here. Not much ontology.

Shall I continue throught the scriptures about flesh begets flesh; and Spirit begets spirit.

I think the key to understanding this verse is that Nicodemus was a Pharisee. The Pharisees went about teaching the people and were very popular among the people. They also believed staunchly in a resurrection. If we take that and Jesus' reaction to Nicodemus' question, I think it's pretty obvious that Jesus is talking about natural birth (flesh, water), and the resurrection of the dead (born of the spirit.) To read anything else into Jesus' conversation, especially given the context of the rest of the book of John, just doesn't fit.

You know there is an ontological change in those who become one with Him. The Vine and the branches.

The vine and branches, once again, are an analogy, and don't necessarily refer to ontological change.

Michael

themuzicman

RobE said:
Are you saying that God made Judas betray Him?

"Made" is a bit strong. I think it was intended that Judas wouldn't be drawn as the other disciples were, and that he would be influenced by Satan to betray Christ.

The Holy Scripture
John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.​

Yet Open Theism/LFW doesn't allow God to know from the beginning that one was doomed to destruction, do they?

Sure we do. It's just a matter of having the right circumstances and right influences at the right time. Rather than fixing the end game from the beginning, God works to bring about His purposes. If you mean knowing exactly who would betray Christ hundreds of years BC, then there's no necessity to know exactly who.

Muz

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
godrulz-
What does one have to obey in order to remain in Christ?

It is not a matter of rules, regulations, rituals (externals), but loving, knowing, trusting, obeying HIM, Jesus, Lord and Savior. Just as the Father and Son are in relationship, so we are to remain in Him as He remains/abides in us. We are to walk in the light as He is in the light (I Jn.).

I cannot give you a list of legalisms to obey. This issue is reciprocal love relationship, not rules. Jesus did say that if we love Him we will obey Him.

Repentant faith is a condition of salvation (grace/gift), not works, laws, nor self-righteousness. It is a faith that persists (in other words, we do not just believe on the night of a Billy Graham crusade and revert to unbelief and selfish rebellion).

RobE

The Holy Scripture
John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
Rob: Yet Open Theism/LFW doesn't allow God to know from the beginning that one was doomed to destruction, do they?

Michael: Sure we do. It's just a matter of having the right circumstances and right influences at the right time. Rather than fixing the end game from the beginning, God works to bring about His purposes. If you mean knowing exactly who would betray Christ hundreds of years BC, then there's no necessity to know exactly who.

Rob: Are you saying that God made Judas betray Him?

Michael: "Made" is a bit strong. I think it was intended that Judas wouldn't be drawn as the other disciples were, and that he would be influenced by Satan to betray Christ.

Yet God desires all men to be saved.

The way I see it 1 of 3 things happened:

Calvinism: God ordained Judas would betray Him to fulfill scripture.
Open Theism: God arranged for Judas to betray Him to fulfill scripture.
Rob: God foresaw Judas would betray Him and that's why the scripture existed.

Which one is more reasonable to you?
Rob

themuzicman

RobE said:
The Holy Scripture
John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
Rob: Yet Open Theism/LFW doesn't allow God to know from the beginning that one was doomed to destruction, do they?

Michael: Sure we do. It's just a matter of having the right circumstances and right influences at the right time. Rather than fixing the end game from the beginning, God works to bring about His purposes. If you mean knowing exactly who would betray Christ hundreds of years BC, then there's no necessity to know exactly who.

Rob: Are you saying that God made Judas betray Him?

Michael: "Made" is a bit strong. I think it was intended that Judas wouldn't be drawn as the other disciples were, and that he would be influenced by Satan to betray Christ.

Yet God desires all men to be saved.

The way I see it 1 of 3 things happened:

Calvinism: God ordained Judas would betray Him to fulfill scripture.
Open Theism: God arranged for Judas to betray Him to fulfill scripture.
Rob: God foresaw Judas would betray Him and that's why the scripture existed.

Which one is more reasonable to you?
Rob

Open Theism.

Michael

RobE

Michael said:
You're bumping into the problem of evil, here. If you're saying that the command not to eat of the tree was designed to arouse "the evil passions of flesh", then Adam already has evil passions and a sinful nature pre-fall:

Romans 7 - 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were [aroused] by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death.

So, I find a problem with God declaring creation (and mankind) to be "very good", and yet Adam has these evil passions from a sinful nature just waiting for a law to violate.

Don't confuse capacity with state. Adam's nature was not sinful, it just had the capacity to sin; otherwise, how could Adam have sinned. God created mankind good with the ability to sin. The knowledge of good and evil just finished making man in God's image. Sin came into the world through Adam, it wasn't in Adam's nature to begin with or after. Adam's nature did not become sinful ---- Adam's nature became enslaved to sin as a result of Adam's actions. The children of slaves remain slaves.

Freeman,
Rob

koban

From RobE's signature line:

RobE said:
He(God) would be wrong. from Koban's defense of Open Theism
Three! Two! One! Cue the Rooster! from Open Theism Apologetics

Nice way to take a quote out of context, Rob :rolleyes: - what I was saying was that if God followed your Lucky Charms scenario, He would be wrong.

Good thing He doesn't, eh? :thumb:

:chuckle: I did like the rooster part.

not gonna be around much for a while - see ya when I see ya!

themuzicman

RobE said:
Don't confuse capacity with state. Adam's nature was not sinful, it just had the capacity to sin; otherwise, how could Adam have sinned. God created mankind good with the ability to sin. The knowledge of good and evil just finished making man in God's image. Sin came into the world through Adam, it wasn't in Adam's nature to begin with or after. Adam's nature did not become sinful ---- Adam's nature became enslaved to sin as a result of Adam's actions. The children of slaves remain slaves.

So, when God rested from all the work that He had been doing, He wasn't really done? God intended for Adam to sin, and, in fact, Adam would not be ontologically complete until he condemned most of mankind to eternal condemnation? This is getting weirder by the moment.

Doesn't it make more sense just to say that God created Adam and Eve with the intent that they would love Him and choose His way, and reject violating His command?

Michael

RobE

Michael said:
Again, receiving the spirit is an ontological change?

Becoming one with God is an ontological change. Look at the scriptures and find if the words 'am', 'be', or any other being words exist there. Of course your knowledge is changed as you are changed. You were 'blind' and are now able to 'see'. Your mind is renewed when you become a 'new creation' in Christ.

John 12:24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.​

The man who remains in the world will lose his life and the man who dies to the world will keep his life. What does this verse mean if not dying to the world and taking up a life IN/With Him? Flesh begets flesh, Spirit begets spirit.

Rob

themuzicman

RobE said:
Becoming one with God is an ontological change. Look at the scriptures and find if the words 'am', 'be', or any other being words exist there. Of course your knowledge is changed as you are changed. You were 'blind' and are now able to 'see'. Your mind is renewed when you become a 'new creation' in Christ.

But the question isn't whether these things happen, but how they happen. "Blind" is as easily applied to ignorance as physical blindness, and in the context used, is probably better understood that way. In the same way, "A renewed mind" can just as easily refer to the adoption of a new worldview as it does to a literal, ontological change, and is probalby better read that way.

John 12:24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.​

I've already addressed this. Jesus is talking about Himself and His death and resurrection, and the result that many seeds (us) that would follow, both dying and being resurrected.

The man who remains in the world will lose his life and the man who dies to the world will keep his life. What does this verse mean if not dying to the world and taking up a life IN/With Him? Flesh begets flesh, Spirit begets spirit.

I already addressed John 3.

Michael

RobE

themuzicman said:
So, when God rested from all the work that He had been doing, He wasn't really done? God intended for Adam to sin, and, in fact, Adam would not be ontologically complete until he condemned most of mankind to eternal condemnation? This is getting weirder by the moment.

Doesn't it make more sense just to say that God created Adam and Eve with the intent that they would love Him and choose His way, and reject violating His command

That would remove the glory from God and give it to man, would it not? ALL the glory is His. Period.

Adam's actions didn't condemn anyone to eternal condemnation. Jesus Christ removed the sting of death and penalty of the law, or are you forgetting? What Adam did had no significance whatsoever except to continue what God had planned before creation.

Jesus Christ is the Answer,
Rob

themuzicman

RobE said:
That would remove the glory from God and give it to man, would it not? ALL the glory is His. Period.

Let me get this straight: Man failing to obey God gives glory to man? I think not. If anything, the fact that God doesn't obliterate His creation, but chooses to come to earth as a man to die to offer salvation only reveals His glory to those who freely rejected Him.

Adam's actions didn't condemn anyone to eternal condemnation. Jesus Christ removed the sting of death and penalty of the law, or are you forgetting? What Adam did had no significance whatsoever except to continue what God had planned before creation.

Oh, so GOD condemned most of mankind to sinful, evil lives and ultimately eternal condemnation? And that gives glory to God?

I think not.

Michael

RobE

Col 3:10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

2 Cor. 4:6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness,"[a]made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

RobE

Try to keep up will you.

Try to keep up will you.

Michael: Doesn't it make more sense just to say that God created Adam and Eve with the intent that they would love Him and choose His way, and reject violating His command

Rob: Man obeying God gives the Glory to man since Adam would have in effect 'saved' himself, Pelagius.

themuzicman said:
Let me get this straight: Man failing to obey God gives glory to man? I think not. If anything, the fact that God doesn't obliterate His creation, but chooses to come to earth as a man to die to offer salvation only reveals His glory to those who freely rejected Him.

Christ's sacrifice and ability to not sin as a man gives ALL the glory to God. It's Him who saves us and deserves the glory. Open Theism would put foreward that Christ was un-needed for salvation had Adam not sinned. Adam would have been his own saviour.

Michael said:
Oh, so GOD condemned most of mankind to sinful, evil lives and ultimately eternal condemnation? And that gives glory to God?

No. Christ's actions give glory to God. Your actions do not. Sin has been made impotent by Christ. Jesus. The Plan from the beginning. Open Theism doesn't allow God to be powerful enough to carry out His own plans because man might thwart them.

You say God draws some, but doesn't draw others.
I say God foresaw what His actions would do and perfected His plans through Jesus Christ.

Did you already forget about your 'drawing' Judas theory. That was only about 5 posts ago.

Thanks,
Rob

themuzicman

RobE said:
Man obeying God gives the Glory to man since Adam would have in effect 'saved' himself, Pelagius.

Um... If Adam obeyed God, then Adam would not have sinned, thus Adam wouldn't be saving himself, because he wouldn't need saving. And, given his innocent state, would be giving glory to God.

Christ's sacrifice and ability to not sin as a man gives ALL the glory to God. It's Him who saves us and deserves the glory. Open Theism would put foreward that Christ was un-needed for salvation had Adam not sinned. Adam would have been his own saviour.

Um... saved from WHAT?

No. Christ's actions give glory to God. Your actions do not. Sin has been made impotent by Christ. Jesus. The Plan from the beginning. Open Theism doesn't allow God to be powerful enough to carry out His own plans because man might thwart them.

Actually, OVT makes God powerful enough to fulfill His plan without having fixed the game beforehand.

You say God draws some, but doesn't draw others.
I say God foresaw what His actions would do and perfected His plans through Jesus Christ.

That's nice.

Did you already forget about your 'drawing' Judas theory. That was only about 5 posts ago.

No, Judas was a necessary element as a result of the sin of mankind.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.