ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobE

Rob: Can you name an event that wasn't determined before it actually occurred?

Michael: Eve's decision to eat the fruit.​

The Tree, Devil, Eve, and the Law made a powerfully influenced situation.

In fact the Law(Romans 7) was enough by itself, according to Paul.

Are you sure it wasn't determined?

Rob

themuzicman

godrulz said:
On the subscriber's thread by Clete, some suggest that salvation is ontological.

Sin is not a substance (ontological/metaphysics). If one thinks that it is, it will lead to wrong assumptions about salvation and the nature of being 'born again'.

Agreed, although what I meant by ontological was a change in the essense of man from 'good' to 'evil'.

Salvation is not metaphysical; it is in the realm of morals (as understood by theologians/philosophers). Salvation is relational, a reciprocal, restored love relationship between Creator and creature.

Agreed. Although it is also epistimological, in that our faith should result in our increasing adoption of the worldview of faith in Christ, rather than the pattern of the world (Rom 12:1). And that should result in ethical change in our actions. (sanctification)

So, I don't think this is an either/or, but a both/and.

Muz

RobE

Originally Posted by godrulz

On the subscriber's thread by Clete, some suggest that salvation is ontological.

Sin is not a substance (ontological/metaphysics). If one thinks that it is, it will lead to wrong assumptions about salvation and the nature of being 'born again'​

themuzicman said:
Agreed, although what I meant by ontological was a change in the essense of man from 'good' to 'evil'.

Do you believe in original sin? If so, how does original sin pass from parent to child if it is not a substance?

Salvation is not metaphysical; it is in the realm of morals (as understood by theologians/philosophers). Salvation is relational, a reciprocal, restored love relationship between Creator and creature.​

Michael said:
Agreed. Although it is also epistimological, in that our faith should result in our increasing adoption of the worldview of faith in Christ, rather than the pattern of the world (Rom 12:1). And that should result in ethical change in our actions. (sanctification)

So, I don't think this is an either/or, but a both/and.

Is salvation given or earned?

It seems to me that you are saying that your salvation is 'learned'.......Reminds me of something.......

Pop Quiz said:
In it _____________ denied the primitive state in paradise and original sin (cf. P. L., XXX, 678, "Insaniunt, qui de Adam per traducem asserunt ad nos venire peccatum"), insisted on the naturalness of concupiscence and the death of the body, and ascribed the actual existence and universality of sin to the bad example which Adam set by his first sin. As all his ideas were chiefly rooted in the old, pagan philosophy, especially in the popular system of the Stoics, rather than in Christianity, he regarded the moral strength of man's will (liberum arbitrium), when steeled by asceticism, as sufficient in itself to desire and to attain the loftiest ideal of virtue. The value of Christ's redemption was, in his opinion, limited mainly to instruction (doctrina) and example (exemplum), which the Saviour threw into the balance as a counterweight against Adam's wicked example, so that nature retains the ability to conquer sin and to gain eternal life even without the aid of grace. By justification we are indeed cleansed of our personal sins through faith alone (loc. cit., 663, "per solam fidem justificat Deus impium convertendum"), but this pardon (gratia remissionis) implies no interior renovation of sanctification of the soul. How far the sola-fides doctrine "had no stouter champion before Luther than ___________........

Sorry it's fill in the blank,
Rob

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Muzicman said:
In metaphysics, there are three major categories:

1) Ontological, which deals with the state of being.
2) Epistimological which deals with knowing.
3) Ethical, which deals with actions.
Stop! Stop! Stop!
You don't. Know. What. You're talking about!

Where did you get this stuff, Michael? Ontology IS NOT a category of Metaphysics. Why? Because THEY REFER TO THE SAME THING.

Please cease and desist before you make more of a fool of yourself than you already have. The last thing we need is a overly simplistic treatment of these wonderfully rich topics, nevermind your specious attempts to apply them to Romans 7:17. You're not even spelling stuff right, Michael. It's embarrassing.

The worst part is, this kind of language tends to impress people who don't know any better, even when you don't know what you're talking about. You're like a baby with powertools. It's dangerous, Michael. Cut it out. You toss around these terms as if you understand them, and the next thing you know, you're the hero of every knucklehead that wouldn't know an ontological thesis if it walked right up and bit them on their epistemology.

For those of you who were impressed by Michael's post, shame on you. There is no excuse. Think. Resist the urge to be a shiftless idiot. Use the mind God gave you. Use the Google God gave you. Look stuff up for crying out loud.

When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a boney.
Jim

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
You have GOT to be kidding me.

But why am I not surprised?

See what I mean, Michael? See what you're doing? The intellectual loafers will become your most avid fans.

seekinganswers

godrulz said:

Sin is not a substance (ontological/metaphysics). If one thinks that it is, it will lead to wrong assumptions about salvation and the nature of being 'born again'.

Salvation is not metaphysical; it is in the realm of morals (as understood by theologians/philosophers). Salvation is relational, a reciprocal, restored love relationship between Creator and creature.

Your statement contradicts almost every parable that Jesus speaks in the scriptures. Salvation is an ontological reality for Christ, in which the rule of God is established "on earth as it is in Heaven." When Jesus speaks of salvation he never uses relationships to illustrate it, but in fact equates salvation to an ontological reality, i.e. the Kingdom of God. Even in the case of healing people salvation becomes an ontological reality. For example, the woman who had been bleeding for most of her life is saved, not in a relationship to Christ, but in the healing of her infirmity which had once alienated her from everyone else(she had no honor). Though relationship is involved in her salvation (she could associate with other people as a woman who had regained her "clean" status before others), but the salvation was primarily an ontological question: is she going to be considered to be clean or unclean before her peers (cleanliness and uncleanliness being states of reality in the Jewish mindset, not simply an attributive quality; if one is unclean, one's very nature has been altered).

Sin is also an ontological issue. Not that sin places one within a distinct ontology (like "evil," for instance; evil cannot be a reality in itself, for no one can cease to be a Creation of God, not even Satan has accomplished such a task). Sin is a corruption of the ontological reality of Creation, and in as much as it corrupts the good, it is ontologically defined (unless you define good through morality, and do not understand the good in an ontological way). Sin is not a relational problem in the scriptures. When Adam and Eve take from the tree in the garden they do not cease to be in relation to God (they don't even cease to be a Creation of God; that ceasation would come through death, which in both Hebrew and Greek signifies an undoing of what has already been created; death is destruction [and it isn't brought merely upon one's soul]). God even continues to commune with humans after "the fall." How is it that God can speak with Cain and with Able (directly, as he had done in the garden) if there had been a relational disjunction caused by sin? God does not cease to be in relationship with the Creation; as I said before one who sins cannot cease to be a Creation (unless they are destroyed; unless they die). Sin fundamentally changes the teleology of humanity, in that sin sets us on the path of destruction (through the upbuilding of certain political frameworks as well as through the development of certain practices within that framework). In many ways sin is more teleological in nature (as well as is Salvation, since salvation ultimately consists of a telos, as does sin). But telos and substance are united within the scriptures. Jesus describes this in a very practical way when he says that you are what you produce; a tree's nature cannot be divorced from its fruit. In the same way a person is known by the fruit that a person produces. If you produce bad fruit, you are by nature false (evil). If, however, you produce good fruit, you are by very nature good. For no good tree will bear bad fruit, nor will a bad tree bear good fruit, but the tree is known by its fruit. And if we are by nature bad trees, our fruit will be bad. Even moral people in their morality can produce bad fruit (need I point out the Pharisees). Morality is not the prerequisite for "goodness" in the scriptures. The good is held in one alone, that is God, and all those who find goodness appart from their Creator have at most participated in a lesser good, and at worst have actively distorted the good. The good is ontologically defined within God (not attributively), and God actively brings about the good in the Creation. The Creation does not simply participate in goodness; the Creation is the good (the tov; i.e. that which is pleasing).

And lest you think I am preaching some false works-righteousness, I would certainly emphasize a right ordering of nature and works. We do not attach grapes to thornbushes in order to transform the thornbush into a grape-vine. In order for the grapes to be produced by the thornbush, the very nature of the thornbush must be altered; the thornbush must become a grape-vine. In the same way, a person's nature (whether evil or good) cannot be altered by attaching good or bad works to them. A fundamental change must occur so that the very nature of the person who once produced "thorns" (metaphorically speaking) is altered. I'm not talking about a "soul change" here, either, but I am emphasizing a wholistic transformation. One who once practiced unrighteousness (a sinner) must be transformed into a righteous person. And this transformation is not attributive (i.e. the blood of Christ gets painted over us so that we attributively take on Christ's nature). The transformation is a real one (not a nominal one) so that we truly become righteous people before God, who practice righteousness. Christ doesn't "take our place;" Christ calls us to "follow him."

Peace,
Michael

Hilston

Hall of Fame
This is hard to resist. If you haven't read Clete's POTD thread, please go there. It's a hoot of the highest order.

Clete said:
And then the muzicman prestented this explaination, which is just flat out brilliant! ... Outstanding!
When he was asked to elaborate, he replied:

Clete said:
That point is debatable.
What point isn't debatable? However, this is code language for, "I have no idea what Muzicman is talking about; all I know is it was anti-Hilston. That's all that matters. Hence, POTD!"

Clete said:
The fact remains that his post is excellently thought out and well presented.
So it doesn't matter whether or not he is correct?

Clete said:
Whether he's right or wrong is another issue, ...
Oh. I see.

Clete said:
... if indeed his point had anything to do with salvation to begin with.
Are these the words of someone whom we should be taking seriously? Let alone our giving a rat's bohunkus about what he regards as a worthy "Post Of The Day".

By Clete's own words, who cares what Muzicman talking is really talking about? It doesn't really matter, as long as it is against Hilston. That's why Muzicman's post was "flat out brilliant" and "outstanding!" Not because of any substance or cogent argumentation, but simply because it's an attack against Hilston. Clete (Koban II) is so desperate and hell-bent on vilifying me, that as long as someone appears to oppose me, that's all that matters. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? Even if he doesn't understand the (lack of) difference between ontology and metaphysics."

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on,
Jim

Sozo

godrulz said:

Salvation is in the realm of morals? :doh:

Just when I am hopeful that you might show some semblance of the possibility that you are saved, you throw everything out the window with this anti-Christ concoction of yours.

Where do you get this :pureX: ?

Is the Life of Christ in the realm of morals? Is the Spirit of God in subjection to a law?

Sozo

godrulz said:
Salvation is not metaphysical; it is in the realm of morals (as understood by theologians/philosophers).

Morals:

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character.

2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior.

3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous.

4. Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong.

According to godrulz, you are saved if:

You have good actions or character, as opposed to bad, and you conform to standards of right behavior, arising from a sense of right and wrong.

Once again, you have confirmed for all to see that you are self-righteous.

You declare, in all pride and arrogance, that salvation, whether attained or maintained, is not by faith in the work of Christ, nor the gift of God's grace, but rather a manifistation of right behavior.

You are pathetic!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
RobE said:

Sin is not a substance (ontological/metaphysics). If one thinks that it is, it will lead to wrong assumptions about salvation and the nature of being 'born again'​

Do you believe in original sin? If so, how does original sin pass from parent to child if it is not a substance?

Salvation is not metaphysical; it is in the realm of morals (as understood by theologians/philosophers). Salvation is relational, a reciprocal, restored love relationship between Creator and creature.​

It seems to me that you are saying that your salvation is 'learned'.......Reminds me of something.......

Sorry it's fill in the blank,
Rob

Original sin is an Augustinian error, not biblical truth. All men are sinners because they sin volitionally; they do not sin because they are born sinners. We cannot blame it on Adam. Sin is not a substance and it is not passed on genetically (you tell me how adultery and murder are passed on to innocent babies if you think original sin is true?). Sin is in the realm of moral choices, not metaphysical genetics (I do not think you want to go down the road of B.F. Skinner's deterministic behaviorism nor Darwin's genetics).

For a biblical case against 'original sin':

http://www.gospeltruth.net/menbornsinners/mbsindex.htm

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Salvation is in the realm of morals? :doh:

Just when I am hopeful that you might show some semblance of the possibility that you are saved, you throw everything out the window with this anti-Christ concoction of yours.

Where do you get this :pureX: ?

Is the Life of Christ in the realm of morals? Is the Spirit of God in subjection to a law?

I am contrasting morals (righteousness, holiness, choice, law, love, faith, etc.) with metaphysics (deals with nature...e.g. fish are fish, humans are humans, God is uncreated Spirit, rocks are rocks...these are not relational, volitional issues...they are the substance/essence/nature of a thing).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Morals:

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character.

2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior.

3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous.

4. Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong.

According to godrulz, you are saved if:

You have good actions or character, as opposed to bad, and you conform to standards of right behavior, arising from a sense of right and wrong.

Once again, you have confirmed for all to see that you are self-righteous.

You declare, in all pride and arrogance, that salvation, whether attained or maintained, is not by faith in the work of Christ, nor the gift of God's grace, but rather a manifistation of right behavior.

You are pathetic!

See post above...you are reading more into a word than is intended (be reminded that one word can be used in various contexts with different nuances).

I was saved instantly when I received Christ's grace by faith. A simple prayer in the middle of my selfish mess of a life made me a new creature in Christ. I knew I had eternal life at that point. I had not done one good work, my character was one minute old in Christ and years of sin a minute before that.

Salvation is a gift of God (Eph. 2:8-10). Calvinists think that faith is a gift of God. My interpretation sounds like your view. It is not by works (yet Paul talks about works in the context...I say they are the subsequent fruit of salvation, not the root of it).

Salvation is not a manifestation of right behavior. Did the thief behave right with nails in his hands and minutes from death and paradise? He was saved by trusting Christ and His finished work alone, just as we are.

You have taken some arbitrary definitions of morals and wrongly misapplied them to come up with an 'arrogant' straw man view that I object to on biblical grounds.

In the words of J.C. Superstar..."Can we start again please?" I think you are misunderstanding my views (I take some responsibility for not communicating clearer). I may not be clear, but I think it is premature to write me off as pathetic.

sentientsynth

If with Godrulz salvation is in the realm of morals, then with Sozo salvation is in the realm of doctrinal inerrancy.

sozo said:

Good job, SoSo. Call that kettle black baby!

SS

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hilston said:
Stop! Stop! Stop!

Where did you get this stuff, Michael? Ontology IS NOT a category of Metaphysics. Why? Because THEY REFER TO THE SAME THING.

Please cease and desist before you make more of a fool of yourself than you already have. The last thing we need is a overly simplistic treatment of these wonderfully rich topics, nevermind your specious attempts to apply them to Romans 7:17. You're not even spelling stuff right, Michael. It's embarrassing.

The worst part is, this kind of language tends to impress people who don't know any better, even when you don't know what you're talking about. You're like a baby with powertools. It's dangerous, Michael. Cut it out. You toss around these terms as if you understand them, and the next thing you know, you're the hero of every knucklehead that wouldn't know an ontological thesis if it walked right up and bit them on their epistemology.

For those of you who were impressed by Michael's post, shame on you. There is no excuse. Think. Resist the urge to be a shiftless idiot. Use the mind God gave you. Use the Google God gave you. Look stuff up for crying out loud.

When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a boney.
Jim

If you aren't going to repsond to any argument presented, I suggest you leave. It's obvious you aren't here to debate anyone, so why stick around?

Just because you say that he doesn't know what he is talking about doesn't mean he doesn't. Just because you say the arguement is too stupid to respond too doesn't mean it is. Just because you say you're smarter than everyone else doesn't mean you are. Either respond with a counter argument or shut up.

themuzicman

RobE said:

I do believe in Original sin. I believe it passes from parent to child through the same knowledge of good and evil that was gained by Adam and Eve when they fell. When a person sins, they embrace the sin of Adam and it's condemnation for themselves.

I agree with the relational aspect. However, there's more to it than that, as we see in Romans 7.

Given.

That's specifically why I put the last paragraph on my post. Salvation is the result of Christ's propitiating act on the cross, God's teaching (John 6:45), and our response to believe in Christ. (John 6:27-29,45-47)

Muz

Last edited by a moderator:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hilston said:
This is hard to resist. If you haven't read Clete's POTD thread, please go there. It's a hoot of the highest order.
This is a lie. The whole reason you are even here is to vent your childish stupidity at me and other open theists.

When he was asked to elaborate, he replied:
No one asked me to elaborate.

What point isn't debatable?
Whether or not you're a pompous self-important blow hard who like to hear himself talk?

However, this is code language for, "I have no idea what Muzicman is talking about; all I know is it was anti-Hilston. That's all that matters. Hence, POTD!"
As I explained, the point of the POTD was to demonstrate how there was more substance behind what he had said than you would have thought possible. Right or wrong it is a brilliant point which I knew when I read it you would simply mock and refuse to sunstantively respond too. My having said this, however, may be enough to prod you into reluctantly doing so, but I doubt it. Not with more than a single post anyway.

So it doesn't matter whether or not he is correct?
That's the same idiotic point that Sozo made. I didn't say that and you know it. That makes this lie number two (at least in this post anyway).

Oh. I see.
You do see and pretend not too. Lie number three.

Are these the words of someone whom we should be taking seriously? Let alone our giving a rat's bohunkus about what he regards as a worthy "Post Of The Day".
I dont' give post of the day because I care anything about what you or anyone else thinks about my opinion. That's the reason you would give post of the day if you were ever to do so but some of us aren't quite as self-absorbed as others.

By Clete's own words, who cares what Muzicman talking is really talking about? It doesn't really matter, as long as it is against Hilston.
Lie number four. I made my intentions quite clear. You're fooling no one Jim. You're just a fool, playing his part to the hilt.

That's why Muzicman's post was "flat out brilliant" and "outstanding!" Not because of any substance or cogent argumentation, but simply because it's an attack against Hilston.
Both actually.

Clete (Koban II) is so desperate and hell-bent on vilifying me, that as long as someone appears to oppose me, that's all that matters.
Lie number five! Your a veritable fountain of lies Jim! Why am I not surprised.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? Even if he doesn't understand the (lack of) difference between ontology and metaphysics."
No one is stupid enough to think that this distinction you are making nullifies his point. It doesn't.

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on,
Jim

Forget that! I'm putting my boots on. Your crap is starting to get pretty deep.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Sozo

sentientsynth said:
If with Godrulz salvation is in the realm of morals, then with Sozo salvation is in the realm of doctrinal inerrancy.

Good job, SoSo. Call that kettle black baby!

In the words of the infamous Clete...

If you aren't going to repsond to any argument presented, I suggest you leave. It's obvious you aren't here to debate anyone, so why stick around?

Just because you say that he (Sozo) doesn't know what he is talking about doesn't mean he doesn't. Just because you say the argument is too stupid to respond too doesn't mean it is. Just because you say you're smarter than everyone else doesn't mean you are. Either respond with a counter argument or shut up.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hilston said:
Stop! Stop! Stop!

That may be how it is in The Jim Hilston Lexicon, but to the rest of the world:

on·tol·o·gy

n.
The branch of metaphysics that deals with the nature of being.​

on·tol·o·gy
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin ontologia, from ont- + -logia -logy
1 : a branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature and relations of being
2 : a particular theory about the nature of being or the kinds of existents

Instead of yelling at muzicman, maybe you should write to Houghton Mifflin and Merriam-Webster to set them straight. I'm sure they'll be quite willing to submit to your authority on the matter and will be very thankful for the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.