Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Just finished listening to myself.

I freakin' rule :D

Not really, but at any rate... the more and more I think about it the more I like the idea of a BR on the subject of the Jesus Myth.

Countering putative evidence and inept analogies would be a slam dunk for Doherty.
I have thought more about your suggestion and.... I think that battle would be similar to having a battle where some dork thinks we never actually landed on the moon or the holocaust was faked. It's just too far "out there". Not every wacky notion deserves a serious rebuttal.

allsmiles

Knight said:
I have thought more about your suggestion and.... I think that battle would be similar to having a battle where some dork thinks we never actually landed on the moon or the holocaust was faked. It's just too far "out there". Not every wacky notion deserves a serious rebuttal.

Knight, you're comparing Jesus to things we have photographic evidence of... the analogies don't work.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight said:

Knight:

That's cheap and a very, very, very sneaky way out. (Nice job on the show, by the way.)

The least you could do is contact Mr. Dougherty and see if even appearing on TOL even appeals to him.

But don't play it like this.:down:

Granite

Hall of Fame
As an aside, funny you should bring up Holocaust denial given the amount of anti-semites and Jew baiters you've tolerated on TOL recently...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
:chuckle:

I did, and I don't get it.
Geez do I gotta do all your heavy lifting???

- People who don't believe we landed on the moon: LUDICROUS
- People who don't believe the holocaust was real: LUDICROUS
- People who don't believe Jesus existed (regardless of divinity): LUDICROUS

- People who don't believe Jesus existed (regardless of divinity) yet have no problem believing Augustus Caesar existed: LUDICROUSX10

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
As an aside, funny you should bring up Holocaust denial given the amount of anti-semites and Jew baiters you've tolerated on TOL recently...
We tolerate all kinds, that's what makes TOL so fun!! :up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
Knight:

That's cheap and a very, very, very sneaky way out. (Nice job on the show, by the way.)

The least you could do is contact Mr. Dougherty and see if even appearing on TOL even appeals to him.

But don't play it like this.:down:
What do you mean??? That's my honest assessment! It's LUDICROUS to reject the existence of Jesus regardless of how you feel about His divinity. Heck, when I was a God hating atheist, even I was that stupid.

I can't believe you actually think otherwise! :ha:

allsmiles

Knight said:
What do you mean??? That's my honest assessment! It's LUDICROUS to reject the existence of Jesus regardless of how you feel about His divinity. Heck, when I was a God hating atheist, even I was that stupid.

Knight, everyone here likes to talk about how stupid the premise of the Jesus Myth argument is, but I've only ever seen one Christian face it head on. Everyone else follows your example, and it's predictable: they mock, they jeer and ultimately they walk away without providing a single shred of substantial evidence to contradict the premise and conclusion of the argument.

Ad hominems abound, as does putative, untenable evidence, but I have yet to see a substantial counter-argument to the JM. This isn't a fluke or coincidence. There's a reason Christians stay as far away from this argument as possible and it's not because the existence of Jesus is comparable to photographs of the moon landing or the scope of the Holocaust.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight said:

Ummm...boss? Saying "it's ludicrous" does not make something so. Sorry. Just the way it is.

As to Dougherty's work, I am not completely convinced, but the fact that not a soul on TOL, that I'm aware, has ever gone farther than say "That's absurd and simply CAN'T be true" is very telling.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Knight, everyone here likes to talk about how stupid the premise of the Jesus Myth argument is, but I've only ever seen one Christian face it head on. Everyone else follows your example, and it's predictable: they mock, they jeer and ultimately they walk away without providing a single shred of substantial evidence to contradict the premise and conclusion of the argument.

Ad hominems abound, as does putative, untenable evidence, but I have yet to see a substantial counter-argument to the JM. This isn't a fluke or coincidence. There's a reason Christians stay as far away from this argument as possible and it's not because the existence of Jesus is comparable to photographs of the moon landing or the scope of the Holocaust.
Like I said.... do you think it would be profitable, interesting and valuable to debate the existence of Augustus Caesar or various other historical figures?

Maybe we should debate the existence of Napoleon, (Bonaparte not Dynamite). :think:

allsmiles

Knight said:
Like I said.... do you think it would be profitable, interesting and valuable to debate the existence of Augustus Caesar or various other historical figures?

Maybe we should debate the existence of Napoleon, (Bonaparte not Dynamite). :think:

I don't know about that.

Can we stick to talking about Jesus and the JM argument?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
Ummm...boss? Saying "it's ludicrous" does not make something so. Sorry. Just the way it is.

As to Dougherty's work, I am not completely convinced, but the fact that not a soul on TOL, that I'm aware, has ever gone farther than say "That's absurd and simply CAN'T be true" is very telling.
Knock yourself out! You can believe any wacky, asinine thing you want. That's your call, it's your life. It doesn't surprise me that guys like Dougherty are as rare as Hen's teeth. Why do you suppose more historians don't entertain his argument? :think:

Personally, my time is too short to invest it in stuff like this.

allsmiles

Granite said:

:thumb:

What you just heard was the sound of a nail being hit on it's proverbial head.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
Can we stick to talking about Jesus and the JM argument?
Why? There is more evidence for the existence of Jesus than there is the existence of Caesar.

Look what you've done! You already have me wasting my time! :D

allsmiles

Knight said:
Knock yourself out! You can believe any wacky, asinine thing you want. That's your call, it's your life. It doesn't surprise me that guys like Dougherty are as rare as Hen's teeth. Why do you suppose more historians don't entertain his argument? :think:

You do realize that you just fulfilled every behavioral criterion that myself and Granite have described, right?

Personally, my time is too short to invest it in stuff like this.

This is almost too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.