ARCHIVE: I believe religion to be obsolete

Rolf Ernst

Prodigal--you greatly flatter yourself when you think you have posed unanswerable questions. Just present one question which you consider unanswerabnle and see what becomes of it. Was your failure to understand the KJV's use of the word "compass" one of your unanswerable objections? Pick out you best challenge and trot it out with a big dflag that says, YOU CAN'T ANSWER THIS. I am waiting, Mr. Prodigal. Your turn now. Tomorrow I will check what you put up. You better find a real puzzler. As they say, GIMME YOUR BEST SHOT!!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Brandon, stop being thick. I'm not talking like a preterist: I'm describing what's in your book.
How do you know it's not literal? Preterist's are the ones who preach that Revelation is completely symbolic. Do you still think it was intended to be completely symbolic, or not?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

"Schulz was for many years of his adult life a member of the United Methodist Church and remained part of that church to the day of his death, although in a short 1999 interview he described himself as having gradually turned to the philosophy of Secular Humanism. Because themes and dialogue in Peanuts were in harmony with certain basics of Christian theology, a paperback book, The Gospel According to Peanuts, was written by Robert L. Short. It was a bestseller for a time in the 1960s."

www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Charles-Schultz

I guess he wasn't a "real" Christian after all. What a pity. The man who gave the world Linus, Charlie Brown, and Snoopy is now roasting comfortably in hell.
:yawn:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by prodigal

Lighthouse,

So he’d rather let me burn in hell than do something that is within his power to do to stop it? That’s not love, that’s not grace, that’s incompetence.
Incompetence means it's outside His ability. It is not outside His ability. But He would rahter let you choose, based on what He has given you, for He has already done everything He needs to do to keep you out of hell. It's your choice, now.

Or would you rather beleive what you were taught in your Calvinistic upbringing, that God has predestined some for hell?

You have yet to show me otherwise.
Not my job. If you can't see that scripture plainly states that, then it's your problem.

I welcome you to.
It's actually your job. Just know that Calvinism does not apply to all Christians. And, if you have a problem wiht Calvinism, it does not mean you have a problem wiht Christianity. So stop relying on Calvinism to refute Christian doctrine, because it won't work with non-Calvinists, such as myself.

I’ve said some things that I’m not entirely proud of myself, I apologize as well. But if you could speak to me as if we’re peers (a courtesy which I am more than willing to reciprocate) than that would be swell.
I am talking to you as a peer.

Yet a majority of their proof texts were written by paul, a man who went not just to jews but to gentiles as well. See Romans 9, unless Romans wasn’t written by paul, my bible could probably use a little brushing up…
Yes, Romans was written by Paul. But if you want a better dialogue, you would do well to give me some verses in Romans 9 that you think support Calvinism.

Scripture and verse please?
Revelation 20:14 and 21:8
The lake of fire is the second death. It is my belief that anything that goes into the lake of fire is destroyed.
Revelation 20:15
Those whose names are not written in the Lamb's Book of Life are thrown into the lake of fire.

It isn't a widely held view, and I could be wrong, but the Bible does teach that only God is immortal. So I believe it. But I would know better if I knew Greek.

First of all, what do you do? I’m actually incredibly interested in getting to know you a little bit better. And you have to admit that even with the redemption you have experienced, you’re still restrained by the rules of men. These rules have far more tangible effects in the real world than your faith will ever have.
I work at a Dairy Queen. And I'm looking into going to college, but I have no idea what to major in.

And I think Wantsdirection is the most outstanding Christian I have run across at TOL so far.
Really?

I need some clarification, LH. Does this mean that until I submit to the will of god, I’m outside of his will? I am outside of his plan?
Yes.

And if that is the case, than you would more than likely say that my life is purposeless apart from submission to his will, right?
Nope.

Chapter and verse please.
Acts 15:22
The disciples agreed with Paul's teachings. Also, the disciple's were the first to preach Jesus as the risen Lord, as anyone who reads teh Bible knows.

But Paul makes no reference to a physical jesus in the epistles. He includes no biographical references to the life of jesus. When he does refer to the death and resurrection of Christ it is always in a sense of something to be taken on faith. He never refers to the death and resurrection as fact, just something that must be believed. But he also warns in the end of Corinthians 15 that if he is wrong, than he, and you, are both liars. According to the epistles, it’s faith based, not fact based.
Yet, the gospels record the event. Why would Paul need to talk about the physical life of Jesus, when the disciples had already preached that message, in the gospels? The same goes for the death and resurrection. The disciples were already preaching it. It makes no sense for Paul to repeat that which has already been heard by those he was writing to.

See the difference? There’s no reference outside of the gospels to the life and death of jesus in the physical sense. Looking at the epistles without the gospels makes Paul sound like he is talking of myths, nothing more, nothing less.
Which is why the gospels are there. Why would anyone read just Paul's letters? Paul knew the disciples, and he knew what they preached. So, he preached the same.

But LH, they’re so completely different from one another! Luke and Matthew have been said to have based their gospels on the Mark account, Mark being the oldest. Yet the discrepancies between Luke and Matthew are profound to say the least. And if Luke borrowed from Mark, and never even knew jesus, than where did he get his material that Mark lacked? And what of John’s account? John’s account of story is so different from the other three, it’s nearly impossible not to notice the difference.
Luke didn't just take from Mark. And I don't see why Matthew would have either. Matthew was one of the disciples. And John has things the others do not, because he was close to Jesus, and he was at the cross, when the others were not. And John was the one to whom Jesus entrusted the care of Mary, as He was dying on the cross. I surmise that Luke talked to Mary, as well as Mark and Luke, and Peter and James and Jesus' brothers and sisters, and who knows who else. The differences are all based on who was where, when and point of view.

Four different accounts explains the contradictions but adds no credence.
Name some contradictions. I agree, there are differences, but that does not make them contradictions.

I wish we were talking in person, than you could comprehend my sarcasm. I don’t care if you cop my words, it’s not that big of a deal. When I complain about it it’s mere sarcasm, but it’s not easy to pick that up through written words. I don’t blame you for not getting it.
That's what smilies are for.;)

Shrug. Benefit of the doubt, maybe?
And can you not do that in the case of Christ? Give Him the benefit of the doubt, and seek Him, instead of seeking selfish gain?

True…

Okay…

You never made a joke, you weren’t going to, you weren’t alluding to anything, but explaining what you were thinking about would be lude?

Interesting.
Let me explain. I wasn't going to make a "your mom" joke. That doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of a joke. Just not a "your mom" joke.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

"I don't believe souls are eternal until they are in heaven: yes, this means that I believe souls in hell are eventually destroyed."

So you don't believe in the doctrine of eternal and endless punishment for the damned? You believe in annhiliation?

Interesting.
Semi-annihilationism. I've read some on the specific doctrine, and there are discrepancies between my belief and the actual doctrine of annihilationism.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

How do you know it's not literal? Preterist's are the ones who preach that Revelation is completely symbolic. Do you still think it was intended to be completely symbolic, or not?

If you want the skinny on preterism you should read David Chilton or Ken Gentry.

Me, I think the book was largely symbolic. Apocalyptic literature critiquing the Jewish leadership and Rome.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Semi-annihilationism. I've read some on the specific doctrine, and there are discrepancies between my belief and the actual doctrine of annihilationism.

How can something be "semi" annhiliated? Kinda like "mostly" dead from "The Princess Bride"...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

How can something be "semi" annhiliated? Kinda like "mostly" dead from "The Princess Bride"...
I don't mean semi-annihilated. I mean that what I believe is not the orthodox of annihilation.

Granite

Hall of Fame

I don't mean semi-annihilated. I mean that what I believe is not the orthodox of annihilation.

Technically speaking, the annhiliation of the damned is not orthodox, period.

prodigal

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Rolf,

There is an unjustified amount of disagreement between Christian people concerning some doctrines. I believe that the reason for it is largely a failure of people to devote themselves to the Word as they should

But how people devote themselves to the word is their own business. That and I’m sure there are thousands of Christians out there who would disagree with how you evaluate their devotion to the word.

Why are Christians always so fast to pass judgment, even on their own brothers in the faith?

the fact that on the issues which are the essentials of the Christian faith, we are in agreement.

If these necessary points of the faith that all Christians agree on are so darned important, if that’s what really matters, why doesn’t the Christian church act like it? Why are folks like LH getting fed up with church and leaving it? Why would two churches refuse to eat communion with each other? Why have these small issues become a source of fragmentation to the church? Why can they not be over looked? What’s holding Christianity back from true unity?

you greatly flatter yourself when you think you have posed unanswerable questions

I never claimed to the have posed unanswerable questions. The only reason why I claim my questions are unanswered is because you have failed to answer them. You asked me to specify my questions, and I did. You haven’t answered them since.

Was your failure to understand the KJV's use of the word "compass" one of your unanswerable objections?

Oh I understand it. And thanks for the answer. But there’s still a host of questions I have posted clearly for your attention, and you have avoided addressing them. All you have to do is go back and read them.

Lighthouse,

Incompetence means it's outside His ability. It is not outside His ability

Perhaps contrary to his nature?

Or would you rather beleive what you were taught in your Calvinistic upbringing, that God has predestined some for hell?

I don’t believe any of it, that’s the point. You point me to scripture, yet I deny the validity of the bible from the get go, so what good would the words of a book that I think is lying do me?

you would do well to give me some verses in Romans 9 that you think support Calvinism.

It’s really not that important, the details of your ancient superstition are yours, not mine, but if you insist, maybe you should just read the whole chapter. And Matthew 24:24 is a good one too.

Revelation 20:14 and 21:8
The lake of fire is the second death. It is my belief that anything that goes into the lake of fire is destroyed.
Revelation 20:15
Those whose names are not written in the Lamb's Book of Life are thrown into the lake of fire.

Thanks for the scripture passages. Do you take everything Revelation says literally?

I work at a Dairy Queen. And I'm looking into going to college, but I have no idea what to major in.

DQ, eh? That’s cool…

Maybe you should go to seminary? I’m sure there are a lot of teachers at any number of them who would love to have you tell them what scripture means. As for myself, there’s a VP position opening up in my company within the next couple of years, part of our business development, I might go to college to accommodate that and build my credentials in the specific area.

And yes, I really do think Wantsdirection is the best example of a Christian that I have had the pleasure of discovering here at TOL. Not sure if it’s a he or a she, but WD has exhibited patience, compassion, understanding, sensitivity, etc. He/She is great and I wouldn’t mind reading more of what he/she has to say in the future, his/her words are quite inciteful.

quote:I need some clarification, LH. Does this mean that until I submit to the will of god, I’m outside of his will? I am outside of his plan?

Yes.
quote:And if that is the case, than you would more than likely say that my life is purposeless apart from submission to his will, right?

Nope.

If I am outside of your god’s plan until I submit to his will, but my existence is not purposeless, than what purpose does my existence serve if it doesn’t add to god’s plan? Than that means that god has a plan, and I’m sure that you would agree he will be victorious, but if he knows everything, than he knows the fulfillment of his plan. But if I’m outside of his plan, if my existence doesn’t add to it, than it can serve no purpose. Than it’s outside of god’s plan, and is a waste of time if it doesn’t add to the success of what your god has been preparing. Right?
Yet, the gospels record the event. Why would Paul need to talk about the physical life of Jesus, when the disciples had already preached that message, in the gospels?

Oh, I dunno, because the life, death and resurrection of your messiah is one of the most fundamental elements of your faith? Why wouldn’t he have talked about it? And I’m not sure what you were getting at with Acts 15:22

It makes no sense for Paul to repeat that which has already been heard by those he was writing to.

Why wouldn’t it make sense for him to teach specifically about the life, death and physical resurrection of their messiah? Why would he only refer to the physical resurrection as a matter of faith, not a matter fact? Especially when he was alive during the time it happened.

Isn’t it true that the gospels were not written until AFTER Paul’s teaching? If that’s the case, than Paul didn’t have the gospels as a witness to his work, just an oral tradition, that, according to 1 Cor. 15, was passed onto him from someone else, despite his Gal. 1:11-12 claim that he never received the teaching from men but from god?

And if the epistles don’t make a specific, literal, reference to the physical resurrection of jesus, what leads you to believe that they were actually teaching the literal, physical resurrection at all? According to Paul his resurrection was a matter of faith, but it is also presented in an almost mythological light, much like the myriad of cults and religions of their day. References by Paul as to the appearance of jesus to himself in 1 Cor. 15 is also within the list of disciples and such whom jesus appeared to after the resurrection, but Paul’s vision of jesus was just that, a vision. He includes his “vision” in among the rest of jesus’ appearances. So what makes you believe that jesus, according to the only epistle account of the resurrection that I have been able to find, was not just making some sort of non-literal resurrection, and wasn’t just dead?

Paul uses nothing but symbolic language here, the account of jesus’ appearances are also side by side with his non-physical “vision” of jesus, leading me to believe that jesus made no physical post-resurrection appearances.

Try reading the epistles the way Paul wrote them: without the benefit of the gospels.

They sound a lot different then.

Luke didn't just take from Mark. And I don't see why Matthew would have either.

Mark is dated around 70 AD, right? Luke and Matthew didn’t come until some time after Mark’s rather sparse account. Luke and Matthew both used Mark’s general outline, which is pretty much all Mark is, but then they added their own details, details that are in conflict with one another, not to mention John. Different perspectives on the same events does not explain the vast differences of the gospel accounts. No specific examples are necessary, the conflicts are visible to the naked eye. And then to have no one outside of the gospels verify the validity of the gospels, especially by someone who lived so long before the writing of the first gospel, especially someone (Paul) who knew Luke. Why didn’t Paul testify to the events of the gospels? Why didn’t Paul make a specific reference to the literal and physical resurrection of their lord and savior?

My thrust is this:

Paul knew of no physical resurrection because there had been none. He borrowed from multiple myths, and traditions that taught of a mythical and spiritual resurrection and then used those common beliefs (in order to better integrate their new religion into the hostile culture) to represent the fledgling Christian story using Christ as the central character. They are lessons meant to teach a moral, not stories meant to be taken literally.

Now, what’s more believable? That Jesus really did live, that he could walk on water, turn water into wine, feed five thousand with a coupla loaves and fishes, that he was killed and then came back to life three days later and then ascended to heaven? Or that Jesus was a man, one of many claiming to be the messiah (and you can check throughout history there is a precedent of men placing divine claims about themselves) who was eventually killed for whatever crime he was accused of, and stayed dead, all the while his followers were passing on the oral tradition of his life and death and teachings? Then comes Paul who takes the story, places on the end of it a mythical resurrection (an ages old idea) to teach a story about spiritual ascension and over the years it began to become interpreted literally.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"If these necessary points of the faith that all Christians agree on are so darned important, if that’s what really matters, why doesn’t the Christian church act like it? Why are folks like LH getting fed up with church and leaving it? Why would two churches refuse to eat communion with each other? Why have these small issues become a source of fragmentation to the church? Why can they not be over looked? What’s holding Christianity back from true unity?"

Same Holy Spirit saying something different to everybody.

That Christians continue to draw their own separate and subjective conclusions is a good sign there's no "true" unity at all to be found in the body of Christ...

prodigal

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
That and the points they do agree on, those that are essential to salvation, are all points that have been determined by men. So now the bible authors aren't the only ones who have been divinely inspired, so are the men who chose what is essential to salvation.

Rolf, you're asking us to believe in more than jesus. You're asking us to believe in every scribe, every historian, you're asking us to have faith in everyone who has had a hand in structuring your entire system of religion and that which is essential to salvation.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Technically speaking, the annhiliation of the damned is not orthodox, period.
Did I say Orthodox Christianity? I didn't think so. I said the orthodox of annihilation.:doh:

Moron.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Did I say Orthodox Christianity? I didn't think so. I said the orthodox of annihilation.:doh:

Moron.

"The orthodox of annhiliation"? Brandon, what in the hell--literally--are you trying to say? Because whatever you think about this subject you're expressing yourself as clearly as mud.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by prodigal

Lighthouse,

Perhaps contrary to his nature?
Bingo!

I don’t believe any of it, that’s the point. You point me to scripture, yet I deny the validity of the bible from the get go, so what good would the words of a book that I think is lying do me?
Nothing. But you won't even seek God, on your own, so what's the point of you pisting here, at all?

But Calvinism is denied by scripture, so stop saying that scripture portrays it.:doh:

It’s really not that important, the details of your ancient superstition are yours, not mine, but if you insist, maybe you should just read the whole chapter. And Matthew 24:24 is a good one too.
What's that supposed to mean? Is that a proof text for OSAS?

I guess I forgot to tell you. I may not be a Calvinist, but I believe in OSAS. Which is why I say you were never in Christ. Well, the reasons I believe in OSAS are the reasons I say you were never in Christ.

Thanks for the scripture passages. Do you take everything Revelation says literally?
No. If I did, then I may not be so inclined to believe in annihilation.

[qutoe]DQ, eh? That’s cool…[/quote]
Was that a pun?:chuckle:

Maybe you should go to seminary? I’m sure there are a lot of teachers at any number of them who would love to have you tell them what scripture means. As for myself, there’s a VP position opening up in my company within the next couple of years, part of our business development, I might go to college to accommodate that and build my credentials in the specific area.
I've considered seminary, but I need something to do until I get that degree. I just don't know what.

And yes, I really do think Wantsdirection is the best example of a Christian that I have had the pleasure of discovering here at TOL. Not sure if it’s a he or a she, but WD has exhibited patience, compassion, understanding, sensitivity, etc. He/She is great and I wouldn’t mind reading more of what he/she has to say in the future, his/her words are quite inciteful.
She. I'm the one who invited her to start coming here. And she hasn't been a Christian for very long. The only church she's known is a non-denominational Charismatic church that ignores a lot of scripture. That's why I invited her here. So she would be forced to challenge her beliefs and find the truth of God.

If I am outside of your god’s plan until I submit to his will, but my existence is not purposeless, than what purpose does my existence serve if it doesn’t add to god’s plan?
What makes you so certain that everything of purpose has to be a part of God's plan?

Than that means that god has a plan, and I’m sure that you would agree he will be victorious, but if he knows everything, than he knows the fulfillment of his plan.
He knows everything that can be known. And He knows how He will fulfill His plan.

I'm an Open Theist, by the way.

But if I’m outside of his plan, if my existence doesn’t add to it, than it can serve no purpose.
It can serve no purpose within His plan, but that doesn't mean that it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Than it’s outside of god’s plan, and is a waste of time if it doesn’t add to the success of what your god has been preparing. Right?
I beleive you're wasting your time by not going to Him, but, as I said, that doesn't mean you have no purpose.

Oh, I dunno, because the life, death and resurrection of your messiah is one of the most fundamental elements of your faith? Why wouldn’t he have talked about it? And I’m not sure what you were getting at with Acts 15:22
The death and resurrection was already known. Paul had no reason to rehash it in the epistles that appear in the Bible. And I was getting at the fact that the disciples approved of Paul and what he preached. This shows that they agreed, and that the only people Paul borrowed from was them, and their converts.

Why wouldn’t it make sense for him to teach specifically about the life, death and physical resurrection of their messiah? Why would he only refer to the physical resurrection as a matter of faith, not a matter fact? Especially when he was alive during the time it happened.
One. I never said that he didn't preach it. I just said that it doesn't appear in the epistles that are in the Bible. And, since he wasn't present for the events, nor for the appearances of Jesus shortly afterward, then some may say he had no basis for calling it fact. But, you don't seem to know that much of scripture, so what makes you so certain that he never did mention it as fact?

Isn’t it true that the gospels were not written until AFTER Paul’s teaching? If that’s the case, than Paul didn’t have the gospels as a witness to his work, just an oral tradition, that, according to 1 Cor. 15, was passed onto him from someone else, despite his Gal. 1:11-12 claim that he never received the teaching from men but from god?
1] I have no idea.
2] Paul obviously knew the teachings of the disciples about the death and resurrection of Jesus. That's why he was persecuting them for heresy.:doh:
3] The teaching he was referring to in Galatians 1:11-12 was the gospel of grace apart from works.

And if the epistles don’t make a specific, literal, reference to the physical resurrection of jesus, what leads you to believe that they were actually teaching the literal, physical resurrection at all?
Because he preached that we should believe that it happened.:doh:

According to Paul his resurrection was a matter of faith, but it is also presented in an almost mythological light, much like the myriad of cults and religions of their day.
What makes you think that taking it on faith means anything other than believing it physuically happened? Are you really that stupid?

References by Paul as to the appearance of jesus to himself in 1 Cor. 15 is also within the list of disciples and such whom jesus appeared to after the resurrection, but Paul’s vision of jesus was just that, a vision. He includes his “vision” in among the rest of jesus’ appearances. So what makes you believe that jesus, according to the only epistle account of the resurrection that I have been able to find, was not just making some sort of non-literal resurrection, and wasn’t just dead?
Because the epistles are not the only part of scripture that I take into consideration, you moron.:doh:

Paul uses nothing but symbolic language here, the account of jesus’ appearances are also side by side with his non-physical “vision” of jesus, leading me to believe that jesus made no physical post-resurrection appearances.
So, you take the word of Paul over the accounts of those who actually followed Jesus, and saw Him, in the flesh, after the ressurrection?:doh:

Try reading the epistles the way Paul wrote them: without the benefit of the gospels.

They sound a lot different then.
1] I can't do that. I've read the gospels.
2] Paul had the accounts of the individuals who wrote 3/4 of the gospels. Those who were actually there. And others who were there, but don't have any writings in the gospels.

Mark is dated around 70 AD, right? Luke and Matthew didn’t come until some time after Mark’s rather sparse account. Luke and Matthew both used Mark’s general outline, which is pretty much all Mark is, but then they added their own details, details that are in conflict with one another, not to mention John.
Where did you get this? Who told you this? I don't know when Mark was written.

Different perspectives on the same events does not explain the vast differences of the gospel accounts. No specific examples are necessary, the conflicts are visible to the naked eye.
Just as I thought. You can't give any specific instances.:rolleyes:

And then to have no one outside of the gospels verify the validity of the gospels, especially by someone who lived so long before the writing of the first gospel, especially someone (Paul) who knew Luke. Why didn’t Paul testify to the events of the gospels? Why didn’t Paul make a specific reference to the literal and physical resurrection of their lord and savior?
He did. Paul believed it happened, which is why he wrote that it should be believed. And Luke didn't ever meet Jesus personally, anyway. So what does Paul's knowing Luke have to do with it. Paul knew Peter, who saw Jesus die, and then saw Him after He had risen.

My thrust is this:

Paul knew of no physical resurrection because there had been none. He borrowed from multiple myths, and traditions that taught of a mythical and spiritual resurrection and then used those common beliefs (in order to better integrate their new religion into the hostile culture) to represent the fledgling Christian story using Christ as the central character. They are lessons meant to teach a moral, not stories meant to be taken literally.
What a load of crap. The disciples were preaching the resurrection! That's one of the reasons Paul was persecuting them!

Now, what’s more believable? That Jesus really did live, that he could walk on water, turn water into wine, feed five thousand with a coupla loaves and fishes, that he was killed and then came back to life three days later and then ascended to heaven? Or that Jesus was a man, one of many claiming to be the messiah (and you can check throughout history there is a precedent of men placing divine claims about themselves) who was eventually killed for whatever crime he was accused of, and stayed dead, all the while his followers were passing on the oral tradition of his life and death and teachings? Then comes Paul who takes the story, places on the end of it a mythical resurrection (an ages old idea) to teach a story about spiritual ascension and over the years it began to become interpreted literally.
You are a moron!

1] God is omnipotent.
2] Jesus is God.
3] Jesus is omnipotent.

Is that really that hard to put together?!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Paul was persecuting the Christian community for any number of reasons. A big reason would be to protect the status quo...

Rolf Ernst

Lighthouse--getting to your scripture reference which you say disproves Calvinism--"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise as some men count slackness, but is longsuffering to usward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

I have a question for you. Do you see in this text an expressed motivation for Christ not yet having returned? If so, what is that motive?

I ask because I want to get some insight into the nitty-gritty of what you believe this text teaches.

prodigal

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Dairy Queen,

But you won't even seek God, on your own, so what's the point of you pisting here, at all?

I’ll seek god when I’m ready to. You have given me no reason to believe that your god is the one to seek.

No. If I did, then I may not be so inclined to believe in annihilation.

So you pick and choose at your whim that which you choose to interpret literally and metaphorically?

And she hasn't been a Christian for very long. The only church she's known is a non-denominational Charismatic church that ignores a lot of scripture

Shrug. Denominations are pointless anyway. And ignoring scripture? Why not? For every verse you can find backing up a particular denomination’s doctrine you can find a verse that backs up a completely different doctrine. The bible is as unreliable as it is consistent. It certainly doesn’t warrant as much seriousness as you lend it. Wantsdirection seems to have a pretty good handle on what Christianity should be like. Very loose, not too serious, but still a discipline.

You’re just a fanatic.

What makes you so certain that everything of purpose has to be a part of God's plan?

I’m not certain, I’m just trying to figure out what the heck you believe. I don’t understand what you believe, DQ. Okay, what you’re saying is this (stop me if I’m wrong): I’m not part of god’s plan until I submit to his will, but my existence is still WITH purpose, even though that purpose doesn’t help your god’s plan succeed?

I'm an Open Theist, by the way.

Oh, you make it up as you go along! I get it now. That’s why none of what you say ever makes sense, you’re probably just as confused as I am.

the disciples approved of Paul and what he preached

But what Paul preached seems to be nothing more than that of a mystical resurrection, not a physical one.

I never said that he didn't preach it. I just said that it doesn't appear in the epistles that are in the Bible

So Paul doesn’t support the gospel account? An account that is in four parts, four parts that are in constant disagreement with themselves, four accounts that barely match each other, four accounts that except for the names and some of the places could be four almost completely different stories.

what makes you so certain that he never did mention it as fact?

I’ve been looking. If you know scripture so well, maybe you should help?

1] I have no idea.

Maybe you should do some research. All I had to do was read a couple of books.

2] Paul obviously knew the teachings of the disciples about the death and resurrection of Jesus. That's why he was persecuting them for heresy

Christians were despised by almost everyone at their inception. They were claiming commonly known mythical elements as their own, they were anti-family, they stood against the morals, traditions and values of the their culture and age. Paul was persecuting them because they were a danger to society, as they still are today.

3] The teaching he was referring to in Galatians 1:11-12 was the gospel of grace apart from works.

I read the whole chapter when I found it, but it escapes me right now. I’ll have to go back and reread it, but you’re probably right.

Because he preached that we should believe that it happened.

He preached it in a mystical sense. I’ve only been able to find one piece of scripture (1 Cor. 15) that makes even a vague reference to a physical resurrection, but it’s weak at best. If you know of any others let me know. Whatever Paul was teaching more closely resembles the mystical teachings of contemporary or even past myths. You say Mithra didn’t gain followers until after Christ, that may be, but it also makes sense. Christians took the myths seriously. They took traditional myths meant to teach a moral lesson and they applied them to their own ideas of religion and began to take the myths literally.

What makes you think that taking it on faith means anything other than believing it physuically happened? Are you really that stupid?

It means that even Paul recognized that it wasn’t a fact based matter, and he was alive when jesus was crucified. He didn’t know if jesus actually rose again in a physical sense, but he knew of mythical traditions that taught of a spiritual resurrection, so he applied traditional myths to the story of jesus, using the mystical resurrection of the spirit, not the super-natural phenomenon of physical resurrection which is impossible. He knew of no physical resurrection, just the spiritual one that had been taught for quite some time and was already in acceptance.

And please don’t call me stupid.

Because the epistles are not the only part of scripture that I take into consideration, you moron.

but the epistles are a major basis of modern theology. Yes the rest of the bible is taken into account, but the teachings of Paul are exceptionally important to whatever theological claims you make. Please, DQ, help me find an epistle reference to the physical resurrection of Christ.

And please don’t call me a moron.

So, you take the word of Paul over the accounts of those who actually followed Jesus, and saw Him, in the flesh, after the ressurrection?

No, I don’t take any of their words. I’m saying that their words are in conflict with one another and therefore the whole is unreliable.

1] I can't do that. I've read the gospels.
2] Paul had the accounts of the individuals who wrote 3/4 of the gospels. Those who were actually there. And others who were there, but don't have any writings in the gospels.

Whatever. From what I understand, Paul didn’t have the gospels as a reference, just witnesses and oral tradition. The gospels were written after the epistles of Paul, not the other way around. Paul was speaking in mystical language, the gospels were written as if it were literal.

Where did you get this? Who told you this? I don't know when Mark was written.

I read books, DQ.

Just as I thought. You can't give any specific instances.

Aren’t you supposed to be the bible expert? If you can’t see the discrepancies between the four accounts than you’re just as blind as you claim me to be.

Paul knew Peter, who saw Jesus die, and then saw Him after He had risen.

Yet Paul doesn’t mention this, as far as I know. Why wouldn’t Paul use Peter’s eye witness testimony to better validate his theology? If it was something that everyone just took for granted, why is it not mentioned more often and in more concrete language?

My contention is that there was no physical resurrection. The gospel accounts were written according to the agenda and theology of the writers. Paul was making mystical, non-literal analogies using jesus as the main character of the story.

The disciples were preaching the resurrection

Perhaps, but it was more than likely a spiritual, mystical resurrection, not an impossible physical one.

You are a moron!

DQ, you’re a barbarian compared to me.

1] God is omnipotent.
2] Jesus is God.
3] Jesus is omnipotent.

Is that really that hard to put together?!

Is that all you’ve got?

Yours truly,

Prodigal

Rolf Ernst

Prodigal--Why don't we see more unity between churches? The church IS unified to the extent Jesus prayed for in the garden oif Gethsemane the night before He was crucified. He prayed for unity of His people concerning Himself and the Father.

You are asking for a unity that does not concern the very crucial points of the faith, a unity that is exterior, and concerns the minutia of Christian doctrine--concerning things upon which true Christian faith does not rest. But that there IS the unity Christ prayed for is evident by anyone who is really interested in the truth. It is evident because despite the many doctrinal differences between some denominations, those from different denominations can still find fellowship in Christ.

Don't get so worked up about the minutia. Those who most fully agree upon all the doctrines have the right to set up their individual denominations cwhile they at the same time can find fellowship in Christ across denominational lines.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Prodigal--Why don't we see more unity between churches? The church IS unified to the extent Jesus prayed for in the garden oif Gethsemane the night before He was crucified. He prayed for unity of His people concerning Himself and the Father.

You are asking for a unity that does not concern the very crucial points of the faith, a unity that is exterior, and concerns the minutia of Christian doctrine--concerning things upon which true Christian faith does not rest. But that there IS the unity Christ prayed for is evident by anyone who is really interested in the truth. It is evident because despite the many doctrinal differences between some denominations, those from different denominations can still find fellowship in Christ.

Don't get so worked up about the minutia. Those who most fully agree upon all the doctrines have the right to set up their individual denominations cwhile they at the same time can find fellowship in Christ across denominational lines.

Odd to see "minutia" dividing a worldwide religious movement for two millenia.