anticatholics: please list the "false doctrines of Catholicism"

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
According to your fellow Protestant lifeisgood above, bowing/kneeling does not necessarily involve "worship" at all, for example bowing as a common greeting in Japan, or bowing before Queen Elizabeth as a gesture of respect and honor. Should these cultural expressions also "be avoided" because bowing (supposedly) "is indistinguishable from a posture of worship"---that is, because a tiny minority of observers might happen to be ignorant of what is actually going on?

However, if bowing does not equal "worship" (as in bowing before a sacred object), there is no reason to avoid such a thoroughly Christian expression of piety. The ignorance of a few outsiders should not be allowed to determine what Christians believe, think, and do. Rather, ignorant outsiders, if they find themselves confused, should be taught and instructed regarding the spiritual meaning of Christian behavior, which the Church has always done.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

It should be obvious to the most casual observer that people are not statues carved by men and that statues carved by men are not people. If you understand that difference then it is easy to understand that bowing before a statue is very different from Boeing to a person.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
please list the "false doctrines of Catholicism"

Asked and answered:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4325869#post4325869

If only you would care and feed the many threads you start with more diligence. I get that you like to be seen, but it would be better to spend time nurturing your own threads and avoid these sort of redundancies. :AMR:

typical of anti-Catholics: one word "sentences"

and that is supposed to tell me what the problem is?

Would that you and your like-minded folks take your own advice and try to provide responses that are not merely links to Romanist dogma. I get that a Romanist cannot really speak authoritatively about these matters and must defer to those so appointed to do so, but try anyway.

AMR

Aimiel

I simply don't buy into your particular misapplication of this isolated text.
Spoken like a fully brainwashed inductee of a huge cult.
The apostles and bishops of the early Christian Church didn't seem overly concerned that they were going to "lose souls" by doing and teaching these various things, and neither do I.
The Apostles never taught idolatry.
You can go ahead and continue to follow the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, and I'll go on following the authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Catholic Church.
There is nothing authoritative about the RCC. They don't hold a corner on Truth. God's Word is Truth, not the Catholic church's version of It.

Aimiel

It should be obvious to the most casual observer that people are not statues carved by men and that statues carved by men are not people. If you understand that difference then it is easy to understand that bowing before a statue is very different from Boeing to a person.
It is painfully obvious to all those in the world who turn away from organized religion simply because they think it is foolish to bow to a statue, as they see Catholics doing and then suppose that Christians do the same to crosses or whatever. It sickens me every time I think about it. The RCC is anti-Christ.

StanJ

Spoken like a fully brainwashed inductee of a huge cult.The Apostles never taught idolatry. There is nothing authoritative about the RCC. They don't hold a corner on Truth. God's Word is Truth, not the Catholic church's version of It.

I can't agree that the RCC is a cult, but no doubt he is inculcated into it's false teachings.

Cruciform

It should be obvious to the most casual observer that people are not statues carved by men and that statues carved by men are not people.
Those individuals represented by sacred statues, however, ARE people. Thus, my prior statements stand exactly as posted, and your comment here simply falls flat.

(Also, to be precise, sacred statues today are not "graven" [carved], but are rather molded from plaster or marble resin.)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Spoken like a fully brainwashed inductee of a huge cult.
No more "brainwashed" than you are, friend. For example, here you simply parrot what you've been fed by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect.

The Apostles never taught idolatry.
I never suggested otherwise.

There is nothing authoritative about the CC.
Again, merely parroting the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. Of course, this very same declaration has been on the lips of every rank heretic who ever cracked a Bible: Arius, Pelagius, Nestorius, Apollinarius, Sabellius, etc., etc., etc... :yawn:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

It is painfully obvious to all those in the world who turn away from organized religion simply because they think it is foolish to bow to a statue, as they see Catholics doing and then suppose that Christians do the same to crosses or whatever. It sickens me every time I think about it. The RCC is anti-Christ.
Already answered in the post just above this one (Post #209).

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Those individuals represented by sacred statues, however, ARE people. Thus, my prior statements stand exactly as posted, and your comment here simply falls flat.

(Also, to be precise, sacred statues today are not "graven" [carved], but are rather molded from plaster or marble resin.)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
So you believe statues of people are actually those people? And you think this improves your position? Sounds like a tradition founded in Harry Potter rather than Scripture.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Anticatholics: please list the "false doctrines of Catholicism"​

I hear it all the time, that the RCC has false doctrines, but strangely, no anti-Catholic here ever, ever lists them, much less discusses them

so, please list them so we can discuss..

(I don't think a lot of them know the difference between a dogma, a doctrine, a tradition or Tradition [capital t]... )

+

__

Sure,

RELICS LOL

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Nice Non Sequitur Fallacy (I thought you supposedly used to be Catholic?). Rather, the sacred statues of people represent actual people. Try again.
People worship that which they designate as sacred.

I am surprised that you are unable to grasp the difference between a living human and a statue.

Sealeaf

The OP asked about false doctrines but all the discussion seems to be about Practices that various people think are wrong. Practices come and go and vary from place to place. Doctrinal differences are more important.
Below is the Nicene Creed, which is recited at most every Catholic Mass. If you would just copy/paste it back with the parts you believe to be untrue "high lighted" then perhaps we could talk about something of substance.
Catholic belief is succinctly expressed in the profession of faith or credo called the Nicene Creed:
The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Cruciform

People worship that which they designate as sacred. I am surprised that you are unable to grasp the difference between a living human and a statue.
Your vast ignorance of Catholic teaching is once again on display, again bringing into question your repeated claim to have been "educated" as a Catholic.

"Sacred" is a synonym for the word "holy." To be "holy" is to be "set apart for God's use." Hence, for example, the liturgical utensils used in Temple worship are termed "holy" ("sacred") in the Old Testament. This is precisely the sense in which sacramentals (including statues) are considered "sacred." Your pedantic Red Herring, however, is noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+