An Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I will point out...Chris, you need to read the rules of the site. You reported a post that doesn't violate any rules. If the post had, in fact, violated a rule, I (as a moderator on this site) would be sure to issue myself a warning.
:rotfl:
ChrisGergen reported you:shocked:
he wants to know why you let you on this site :confused:

Are you thinking pest here:think:

:wave2:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you for real?

Can you please leave me alone? I'm trying to be nice. Now you are just being psychotic. Go harass someone else please. Your comments are not welcome to me.

I left Christianity for my own reasons. Get over it.
Best that you start a thread on some topic you want to discuss and demonstrate your stated abilities to fend off opposing views, no?

AMR

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I do find Paul strange. I am in the midst of studying about Paul and Pauline Christianity. There is an amazing work by Robert Eisenman entitled James the Brother of Jesus which really digs into this subject. My opinion of Paul is that he was a liar and the Apostles in Jerusalem knew it and tried to either manage him or eliminate him altogether. In fact the Ebionites, a small sect of very strict Jewish Christians, held that Paul was a liar and that he was not even Jewish! Now I don't know if that assertion is true, it was just interesting to me.

What specifically did Paul lie about? Or at least what do YOU think he lied about?

ChrisGergen

ChatMaggot:

Many things, but I will point out one in particular. In Galatians 2:9-10 Paul recounts what he says the Jewish Christians - the ones who walked with Jesus and served with him as well as his actual brother James - said for him to do while he was traveling and preaching. Paul says they only told him to remember the poor - which Paul says he already had covered. But this not true at all. In Acts 15:19-21 Luke says they told him to preach four things: 1) Abstain from polluted idols 2) No fornication 3) No eating strangled animals and 4) from drinking blood. This would constitute works in Paul's gospel and so he lied.

He never mentions anything about the poor.

But the Galatians don't know that - do they?

allsmiles

ChatMaggot:

Many things, but I will point out one in particular. In Galatians 2:9-10 Paul recounts what he says the Jewish Christians - the ones who walked with Jesus and served with him as well as his actual brother James - said for him to do while he was traveling and preaching. Paul says they only told him to remember the poor - which Paul says he already had covered. But this not true at all. In Acts 15:19-21 Luke says they told him to preach four things: 1) Abstain from polluted idols 2) No fornication 3) No eating strangled animals and 4) from drinking blood. This would constitute works in Paul's gospel and so he lied.

Small potatoes.

Paul didn't say anything in Galatians 2:9 about James being Jesus' actual brother. When he does refer to James as being "the brother of the Lord" he uses the word adelphos which is a generic term he uses elsewhere in his epistles without any hint of a blood connection. "Brother of the Lord" is a title that was ascribed to James, not an indication of his physical kinship with Jesus.

I thought you knew Greek?

It's a bit of an aside... don't let me distract you too much :D

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
ChatMaggot:

Are you serious? That was pathetic!

Can you come up with a better example of Paul lying than what you have presented?

ChrisGergen

No its not pathetic. What say you?

Explain the difference?

Allsmiles - are you really under the impression James is not the half brother of Jesus? I do know Greek, and in this context (the verse in question) the Greek is an aside. I wasn't trying to assert James as Jesus Brother through this verse. If I had - you would be correct.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Chris look on the bright side.... think of all the hundreds of folks that register on TOL and are greeted with nary a whisper. You have got some attention... ain't it grand? :D
I think I had something like eight people walk through my introduction thread...and squeaky accounted for four of those... :think:

Bitter? No, why?

:plain:

The Berean

I think I had something like eight people walk through my introduction thread...and squeaky accounted for four of those... :think:

Bitter? No, why?

:plain:

That's because you didn't mention homos, abortion, the Obamessiah, or home schooling in your intro thread! :chuckle:

WandererInFog

Remember, the synoptic gospels were not written until at least the mid 60's but probably after 70 AD. Almost 30 to 40 years had passed and in that time much of what he said and did had been lost. I believe Mark to be the first gospel written and Mark was written from a document called 'Q'. John being a much different gospel was probably written in the late 70's by a couple different authors.

:squint: I'm afraid you're really not helping your claim of being "well educated" here. Textual critics generally do hold that Mark is the first Gospel but date it to post-70 AD, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Q-source (which is the name given to the material shared by Matthew and Luke, but not found in Mark). Textual critics generally date John to between 90-100AD, and there is much speculation and little consensus regarding it's authorship.

One may take issue with any of these (and I myself do on a couple of counts) but they represent the broad consensus of modern textual scholars and not accurately knowing them shows that you really need to re-visit your studies of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.