Against abortion and against person-hood?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Supporting freedom of choice does not make us responsible for the choices people make.
It can, but that wasn't my point. To set it out in as much clarity as possible:

If you support any abrogation of the woman's will that, in your parlance, "forces" the woman to carry to term, you are a part of that "we" I noted.

You said you support the standing law and that you would support the law if it was reshaped.

Well, the law as it sits, in Roe, still "forces" a woman, late in a pregnancy, to give birth.

The only difference between you and the next fellow is when you're willing to "force" her or, if you like, how many women you're willing to "force".

Actually, it ALL exists in a vacuum in that sense, as we are not in charge of the morality of others.
All I was saying is that the consequences of our actions are more broadly impactful.

Nor are we responsible for the morality of others. We are only nominally in charge of our own morality, and moral behavior. And that's it.
Nominally in charge? I suppose it depends on our varying impulse control. It's an interesting point to discuss, but my argument is neither an appeal from or concerned with a subjective standard of morality. So the discussion moves off the argument and point, interesting as it is.

You can run behind all the flags you want, but this remains the reality of it.
The reality of it, of the point I've made, objectively, is found in the argument I've presented.

And when you try to force your moral righteousness on others,
Christians can lay bricks without a single brick being the product of their morality. My argument is a rational construct, which is why though a Christian can find comfort in it, I first made it while being no part of that faith.

I do believe that all meaningful truth serves a moral purpose, but I didn't believe that when I arrived at the thing you aren't rebutting yet.

all you will succeed in doing is becoming a moral-minded tyrant,
Which would be some trick for the atheist who crafted it.

What you find morally repugnant is your own issue to deal with.
Couldn't agree more. And if you ever seriously advance the notion of killing a child just before its first breath as something other than murder and a violation of right I'll meet you in both rational and moral objection as my way of dealing with the advance.

That you think you should have the right for force others to comply with your moral opinions is the issue being discussed.
No, the issue is the vestment of right and when the unborn find it. I've already demonstrated that you're in favor of forcing some women and willing to force more if the law changes. That you'd force fewer seems a thin virtue within your own context,especially with that malleable caveat... And, again, it's not a moral argument, only one that serves a moral end, as all arguments about right will.

And so far, I have not seen you pose any convincing justification for it.
Convinced is like a feeling for people who aren't bound to respect a rational conclusion. You've already made it clear that you find the utility and control of the rational subject to your desire. So that doesn't interest me. Feel any way you like. I couldn't convince a Klansman that blacks are his equal. It's of no moment. But either you can meet the argument in its parts or you can't. So far your efforts have been to steer toward all sorts of distractions and away from it, so that constitutes a logical can't.

No shame in that. I can't beat it either. That's why I came to it even when I had no particular moral compunction. When reason was my singular compass.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Why do you tell a fellow his fly is open?

Generally, because his fly is open or . . .to humiliate him. Though your questionable rhetoric never served to reach either.

Why would you assume a) that I don't or wouldn't do that in any case and b) that it's an either/or? I actually (and previously within this thread) agreed on the point of addressing the things that minimize the potential for that choice being made.

I assume nothing, what I observe is another matter. I'm quite sure that you're aware of the circumstances which lead to the decision to abort and perhaps give personal efforts in accordance to such -- but that's not what your ToL sales pitch is attempting to close upon.

I'd say my responsibility ends with presenting a reasoned argument consistent with the principles at the foundation of law.

You claimed prior that such a rationally drawn conclusion was fundamentally impossible. More so, where's your evidence that the issue of abortion is strictly reason-based and as such may be adjudicated by such means? Only wishful bivalent thinking (via either naiveté or political/religious posturing) would draw such a austere conclusion.

I'm disinterested in what anyone's bias reads into my motivation. I can't control it, I can only point back to the argument, the nature of it, the want of doing what nearly everyone involved in the issue does, which is conflate the imposition of a valuation with a necessary truth. Instead, I begin with our necessary truth, the one that founds our compact and without which it ceases to function and move from there to an examination of what can be known and what then should be done about it.

Is the triumphal march of the crusade more personally/emotionally gratifying than the view from the trench?

PureX

If you support any abrogation of the woman's will that, in your parlance, "forces" the woman to carry to term, you are a part of that "we" I noted.
Here we go with the absolutism, again. Face it, Town, for all your willingness to debate the extremists around here, you are an absolutist at heart just as they are. It's why you keep falling for the idea that contradiction somehow negates the truth when in fact the closer to the truth we humans get the more inherently contradictory it appears to us. Einstein called it "relativity".

You said you support the standing law and that you would support the law if it was reshaped.

Well, the law as it sits, in Roe, still "forces" a woman, late in a pregnancy, to give birth.
Yeah, I'm not really bothered by that because the woman has had 6 months to decide what she's going to do. And she knows when the cut-off point is (at 6 months). So if she must follow through after that, so be it.

The only difference between you and the next fellow is when you're willing to "force" her or, if you like, how many women you're willing to "force".
No, the big difference is that I am not an absolutist. And so I don't expect every solution to be absolutely "X" or absolutely "Y" or absolutely "Z". I understand that real solutions involve a relative and pragmatic response to the conditions at hand.

All I was saying is that the consequences of our actions are more broadly impactful.
And all I am saying is that we are not responsible for the impact of decisions that we did not make, nor force anyone else to make. You absolutist Christians seem to have a very difficult time, these days, understanding where your own moral responsibility ends and everyone else's begins.

Nominally in charge? I suppose it depends on our varying impulse control. It's an interesting point to discuss, but my argument is neither an appeal from or concerned with a subjective standard of morality. So the discussion moves off the argument and point, interesting as it is.
I agree it's an interesting idea, but not pertinent to this thread.

The reality of it, of the point I've made, objectively, is found in the argument I've presented.
You haven't really presented an argument. You just dressed up your opinion to look like an argument, but that isn't one. Because it's an "argument" from ignorance. Basically all you're saying is that because we can't be sure when a human fetus becomes a human being we are obligated to treat it like one from it's conception.

That's an opinion based on fear of ignorance: fear of "getting it wrong". And reason based on the fear of being wrong isn't practical nor reasonable, since we are bound to "get it wrong" a good deal of the time, and we both understand and expect this in pretty much every other aspect of our lives, including our laws, and including laws dealing with life and death.

We don't seem to be afraid of getting it wrong with the death penalty, or when engaged in warfare, or in other areas of life and law involving the deliberate ending of a person's life. So why should we treat this area of life and law differently? Especially when we can't even be sure we ARE dealing with a person's life, yet, since they have manifested little evidence that they are a 'person'.

My argument is a rational construct, which is why though a Christian can find comfort in it, I first made it while being no part of that faith.
It's an opinion based on your fear of 'getting it wrong'. That's not a rational construct because we are bound to get it wrong at least half the time when we're acting in ignorance (which is most of the time). Such that it makes more sense to decide as best we can, based on what little information we have, and then act accordingly. Which is exactly what the courts have done. And is just as we do in all the other aspects of our lives in which we must act in ignorance. Hopefully, eventually, the consequences will enlighten us a little more, and we will be able to make somewhat better decision the next time around.

Thus, is the way we ignorant humans live. The absolutist's ideals are all well and good on paper. But in reality they are mostly just "lighthouses" to steer our ships BY, but never directly INTO.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here we go with the absolutism, again.
Only in the sense that it's absolutely true that if you support Roe you support what you'd call "forcing" the woman to carry to term. That you only want to "force" them late doesn't help you as a matter of principle.

Face it, Town, for all your willingness to debate the extremists around here, you are an absolutist at heart just as they are.
Complete nonsense that you won't objectively support.

It's why you keep falling for the idea that contradiction somehow negates the truth
No, which is why I haven't said anything of the sort. I'm just noting that not even you believe you.

when in fact the closer to the truth we humans get the more inherently contradictory it appears to us. Einstein called it "relativity".
That's not what Einstein called relativity. :nono: So we'll add Einstein to the people who wouldn't believe you.

Yeah, I'm not really bothered by that because the woman has had 6 months to decide what she's going to do. And she knows when the cut-off point is (at 6 months). So if she must follow through after that, so be it.
Great. Then you're admitting that your standard is subject to something. In this case a subjective valuation of when she's had enough time (instead, oddly enough, of the developmental position of the unborn). My argument is that we're all subject to the right that may well be vested and the protection attending.

No, the big difference is that I am not an absolutist.
You mean sometimes you aren't and that negates the value of the statement. Logic. It does a mind good.

And all I am saying is that we are not responsible for the impact of decisions that we did not make, nor force anyone else to make.
And I'd say you're mistaken, that if I allow a five year old to pick up a hand gun, etc... or, we can be, but mostly we aren't responsible.

You absolutist Christians
I'm not responsible and am only marginally interested in your bigotry, Pure. Again, setting aside your stereotype, my argument was created while I was an atheist. It's no more Christian than your position, it's just more rational.

seem to have a very difficult time, these days, understanding where your own moral responsibility ends and everyone else's begins.
Else, it's an old question, am I my brother's keeper? Or, to what extent do I bear responsibility of the actions of others and to what extent should I or must I act. The answer is complicated (supra). For instance, there are many moral decisions I simply can't impact beyond speaking to them, like whether or not another human being believes in God. And there are moral decisions that others make that I can and should impact, like crafting laws against theft or contracts being made by minors.

You haven't really presented an argument.
I have. In parts even.

You just dressed up your opinion to look like an argument,
No, I walked you and anyone interested in the question through an examination of it that should lead anyone to an informed opinion.

Because it's an "argument" from ignorance.
Nah. Though that's a good illustration of attempting to wrap feeling in the robes of something else. Or, that's an opinion too, only yours is informed by something other than reason. It's another good illustration of the danger in that sort of thing.

Basically all you're saying is that because we can't be sure when a human fetus becomes a human being we are obligated to treat it like one from it's conception.
That's a simple sum that finds its legs in the particulars.

That's an opinion based on fear of ignorance: fear of "getting it wrong".
Or, it's a recognition that at some point we have no right to act and acting to sever the unborn at that point from the right requires us to act in a way contrary to our own right. That said, you should fear killing someone from ignorance if you understand there's a possibility of it and you should do whatever you can to be sure you don't actually do that.

And reason based on the fear of being wrong isn't practical nor reasonable
Here's what's dishonest about that: it isn't based on fear. You only declared it was then declared why it's a problem. That's not meeting the argument. That's beating straw.

, since we are bound to "get it wrong" a good deal of the time, and we both understand and expect this in pretty much every other aspect of our lives, including our laws, and including laws dealing with life and death.
If we go forward to suit your hypocritical standard relating to the woman's autonomy then we risk abrogating a thing we understand we shouldn't without cause while protecting a thing (that woman's autonomy) that not even you believe is absolute. So, on the one hand we may be protecting what doesn't merit it and doing injury to the woman's at best partial autonomy (see: Roe, your own declarations/position and various laws that don't give her that in any number of ways, from ingestion to suicide) and on the other we may be depriving a thing we have no right to abrogate at all, given. Not really a difficult choice, rationally speaking.

We don't seem to be afraid of getting it wrong with the death penalty,
While I agree that it isn't an absolute bar and that's one reason I oppose the DP, I'd note that we also don't get it right with abortion. Or, arguing the law is wrong elsewhere isn't an argument for allowing it anywhere. That said, the DP is a bit different. Why? Because while there's no way to approach the unborn that reduces the chance of error in criminal cases we have all sorts of standards to help us make the likelihood of error extraordinarily exceptional with the implementation of the DP and that even outside of the procedures/process to determine guilt we have a fairly extensive appellate process as a safeguard. Is it an absolute safeguard? No, it's only the best we can fashion. The arguments for deterrence, among others, has convinced the society to risk the more marginal chance we get the thing wrong. I don't agree with it, but it's not a parallel to abortion, where we have no objective standard that creates a point to begin the marginalization of error, if you were to find marginalization acceptable on the point of that right.

or when engaged in warfare, or in other areas of life and law involving the deliberate ending of a person's life.
We actually approach warfare by a different set of rules necessitated by what it is and what we can reasonably control set against what necessity dictates we do.

So why should we treat this area of life and law differently?
We treat each consideration differently and it's logical to, though I find the DP deficient in that too.

Especially when we can't even be sure we ARE dealing with a person's life, yet, since they have manifested little evidence that they are a 'person'.
Rather, the unborn at any point may absolutely be and may not be and there's nothing to give us a sense of the margin. So there's as much evidence they are as there is they aren't.

It's an opinion based on your fear of 'getting it wrong'.
You said that once. It's still not true, though there's nothing wrong with being afraid that when you exercise your right to fire a weapon you might end the life of another. It will tend to make you take precautions relating to how you go about exercising that right. So that's to the good...it's just not the root of my argument.

That's not a rational construct because we are bound to get it wrong at least half the time
That's ironic...by which I mean you have no way of setting the odds so your complaint isn't what it says it is.

when we're acting in ignorance (which is most of the time).
If you aren't sure your action will work a harm and have another that can only work a good, choose the latter course.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
There are two types of men in this world: those who tell another man when their fly is down, and those who don't.

:think:

and those who tell him it is when it isn't so he'll look down and you can tweak his nose

warning - don't try this on strangers at a ball game

PureX

Town, when you go though a post line by line, to negate each sentence, it becomes clear to me that you are not reading the post for the idea it contains, considering it, and then responding. You are instead only reading with the intent to discount, by any means that comes to mind, every individual though, therein.

At this point, I usually just disengage the conversation, because it's not a conversation, anymore. It's just a pointless exercise in contrariness. And I trust there has been enough of a discussion for those with eyes to see, to have seen the basic ideas and their flaws from both sides. Which is really all we can offer them.

I'll think on that idea of our having only marginal moral control (and responsibility) and maybe post a new thread in which we could discuss it.

Peace.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town, when you go though a post line by line, to negate each sentence, it becomes clear to me that you are not reading the post for the idea it contains, considering it, and then responding. You are instead only reading with the intent to discount, by any means that comes to mind, every individual though, therein.
Rather you're making a number of claims and I'm attempting to address all of them. I've omitted a few things, but my position has always been that if you don't want a thing answered don't post it. And if answering a posit isn't answering the idea it contains that's a new one on me.

Else, I've also answered on the macro of your position while rebutting the notion that I haven't presented an argument, that in some form or fashion the argument cobbled during my atheist years is a by product of absolutist Christian faith and/or that it's rooted in fear... and I've met and illustrated the problems inherent in your position, etc. Seems rather the point of debate.

If you feel there's a larger point you made that wasn't spoken to feel free to list it singularly and I'll happily answer it as deliberately or note where and how I believe I have met it previously. Not much else I can do except express that willingness.

I'll think on that idea of our having only marginal moral control (and responsibility) and maybe post a new thread in which we could discuss it.
Could be an interesting discussion.

:cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Generally, because his fly is open or . . .to humiliate him. Though your questionable rhetoric never served to reach either.
I find my rhetoric is mostly questionable to those who can't meet it and/or don't agree with it...likely a coincidence.

I assume nothing, what I observe is another matter. I'm quite sure that you're aware of the circumstances which lead to the decision to abort and perhaps give personal efforts in accordance to such -- but that's not what your ToL sales pitch is attempting to close upon.
It's an argument, not a sales pitch. That's just what people invested in a different answer try to slather on a thing they'd rather not meet as a consideration, typically.

You claimed prior that such a rationally drawn conclusion was fundamentally impossible.
No, I didn't. I noted that there doesn't appear to be a standard that isn't arbitrary, not that the right is or that our response to it made impossible by that fact. In fact, it isn't, as I set out.

More so, where's your evidence that the issue of abortion is strictly reason-based and as such may be adjudicated by such means? Only wishful bivalent thinking (via either naiveté or political/religious posturing) would draw such a austere conclusion.
I haven't said people must be rational, only that they should be.

Is the triumphal march of the crusade more personally/emotionally gratifying than the view from the trench?
I'll be back for this one. It's time to hunt eggs. :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Individualism decreases perception of abortion risks:

Hierarchical and individualistic white men are not the only cultural subgroups facing threats to their status. Hierarchical women are experiencing a similar challenge as norms conferring status on women who successfully occupy professional roles have come to compete with and perhaps overtake tra-ditional patriarchal norms that assign status to women for occupying domestic roles. This, according to Luker (1984), is the status conflict that informs political dispute over abortion, the free availability of which is thought to symbolize the ascent of egalitarian and individualist norms over hierarchical ones that celebrate motherhood as the most virtuous social role for women.

We predicted that these culturally grounded disagreements would generate identity-protective cognition on the health risks of abortion, an issue tat has emerged as central to the rationale for a new generation of abortion regulations (Siegel, 2007)conforming their factual beliefs to their cultural commitments, relatively hierarchical individuals, we hypothesized, would see abortion as more risky than per-sons who are relatively egalitarian and individualistic. Moreover, because they
are the ones whose identities are most threatened by abortion’s symbolic denigration of motherhood,
hierarchical women, we anticipated, would be the most receptive of all to the claim that abortion is dangerous; all else equal, commitment to hierarchical norms, we predicted, would have a less dramatic impact in accentuating the abortion-risk concerns of men. In addition, because egalitarian and individualistic norms confer status to women as well as men who master professional roles, the disposition toward those worldviews, we surmised, should uniformly incline women and men to the view that abortion is in fact safe. We also anticipated that any race effect on abortion risk perceptions would originate in either the correlation of race with cultural outlooks or an interaction between race and cultural worldviews

Model 2 shows that respondents became more concerned about abortion risks as their
worldviews became more hierarchical, and less concerned as their worldviews became more individualis-
tic.

Together, the cultural orientation scales added approximately 10% to the explanatory power of
the model. Their combined effect size is nearly five times that of education, almost double that of the combined effect of party affiliation and ideology, and over that of religious affiliations when combined

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1100&context=fss_papers&sei-redir=1

Research makes knowledge public. This research is attempting to show the need of Medicare to prevent low birth weight, as if low weight births is more tragic than aborted babies. What they found is states with high restrictions on abortion have less abortions and the birth weight does not seem a factor.

Our results are consistent with recent work showing that laws restricting the Medicaid funding of
abortion increase the probability that a pregnancy is carried to term, at least among some groups of women. But we find that these laws have little direct effect on birth weight, or on the incidence of low birth weight. However, they may have an impact on the number of abortion providers
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.619.7339&rep=rep1&type=pdf

PureX

Model 2 shows that respondents became more concerned about abortion risks as their
worldviews became more hierarchical, and less concerned as their worldviews became more individualis-
tic.
By "hierarchical" they also mean authoritarian. And what this seems to be saying is that the concern about abortion by authoritarians seems to be based on maintaining their hierarchy.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
By "hierarchical" they also mean authoritarian. And what this seems to be saying is that the concern about abortion by authoritarians seems to be based on maintaining their hierarchy.

That is one problem with research; the exact meaning of words used is not always defined perfectly. The assumption is an hierarchical society is more inclined to value tradition and shared social standards. This is often a difference between those motivated by religion, as opposed to being motivated by self interest.

Individualism is the natural expression of self interest.

PureX

That is one problem with research; the exact meaning of words used is not always defined perfectly. The assumption is an hierarchical society is more inclined to value tradition and shared social standards. This is often a difference between those motivated by religion, as opposed to being motivated by self interest.

Individualism is the natural expression of self interest.
I agree with you on the first two points, but not on the last. Statisticians do sometimes use words in ways that are distinctly counter-intuitive, and thus cause confusion among the rest of us. I also agree that hierarchies value that which reinforces hierarchy: tradition, authority, and a shared appreciation of hierarchy. All of which often are usually embodied by religion.

I disagree, however, that individualism is the natural expression of self-interest, since hierarchies are expressions of self-interest just as surely as any other social phenomena. Individualism is the natural expression of our uniqueness. Not our self-interest.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The research is always limited to its intent. This would be true, even if the counter intent is true. It never claims any other factors, as it attempts to control confounding factors or the results are meaningless.

The general issue is autonomous thought is naturally wider in scope and this may result in less social control of shared values.

My intent is not to suggest absolute authority is preferable; the point is relevant to the issue at hand.

PureX

My intent is not to suggest absolute authority is preferable; the point is relevant to the issue at hand.
Mine, either.

However, at this time and place in human history, regarding this issue (a woman's right to choose an abortion), I believe it's more important to respect the individual's beliefs and decisions than to dictate them from 'on high' (enforce the will of the hierarchy). Circumstances will undoubtably change in the future, calling for us to revisit the issue, again. And at that time we may choose a different path.