Against abortion and against person-hood?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

I've addressed this issue in another thread that was bashing Ted Cruz because he is against Personhood Amendments.

Telling us you have addressed it in another thread doesn't do us much good unless you are going to link to the other thread, or at the very least tell us the title of that thread.

It had this video in it:

Note how the TownHall.com article that I linked talked about the deceptive practices of the Personhood movement: "The tactics being used by those in the personhood movement are ruthless..."
The people who made this video that is attempting to hide Ted Cruz's ardently pro life stance are evil.

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
First, within the Due Process Clause of the Constitution, Personhood Amendments are not necessary. The Due Process Clause is not being used to end abortion.

The only problem I have with what he says in this video is that it is not being put into practice.

It's only a matter of educating people about the clause and them demanding to their legislators that it be put into practice.

PureX

I hear you...then I think, most of the women who have abortions aren't making philosophical points. They simply don't want to remain pregnant. Now I don't go around shouting murderer at anyone, but I do believe that we're sanctioning murder, that Roe did that very thing, blinded by another issue that was half created in dealing with something we never truly gave enough consideration as a matter of law.
The thing is, Town, that it doesn't matter what the mother thinks, or what you think. Because we are all allowed to think what we want, and we are each protected from other people forcing their thoughts on us, and visa versa.

The issue here is not that the women had sex irresponsibly (according to whomever), or that the women does not want to carry the pregnancy to term (for whatever reason). The issue here is that you want to deny her right to decide for herself what will happen insider her own body, by replacing her autonomous personhood with the thoughts and will of your own. Because you have determined in your own mind that fetuses are autonomous persons from the moment of their conception.

Yet you will not be able to explain to me or her why your thoughts and your will should be allowed to overrule her thoughts and her will regarding the events taking place inside her own body. All you'll ever be able to do is proclaim yourself 'right', and her 'wrong', according to your having endowed the fetus with autonomous personhood in your mind. That's it. That's all you have as justification.

And this is why the anti-abortion crown doesn't want to address the real issue fueling the abortion debate. Because the real issue is the desire to usurp the autonomous personhood of pregnant women with no other justification than; "we are right and she is wrong!". Because there is no reasonable justification for attributing autonomous personhood to a fetus that is not autonomous, and cannot therefor develop or display it's 'personhood'.
I believe most law, good or bad, is reasoned and that most people (some only if pressed) can give you some reasoning for their part in a thing. The question becomes is the reason sufficient? Does it meet the demands of inquiry and challenges to foundation. I don't think the pro-choice position can manage that. I'm not saying there aren't pro-life positions that aren't equally flawed. Personhood, in at least some of its forms, is ample illustration of that...but a fundamental right to existence is already established absent considerations that don't apply to the unborn (mostly horrific violations of our social compact) while the right itself is impossible to objectively settle in a fashion that isn't demonstrably arbitrary.

A conversation worth having though.
The law in this country regarding abortion is based on the idea of autonomous personhood. Through that concept it was established that a developing fetus inside the womb that could not reasonably be expected to survive outside the womb, if it had to, was NOT an autonomous life form, and therefor was still a part of the mother's body, and therefor was under the control of her autonomous personhood (and therefor was subject to her choices). However, somewhere between the 22nd and 24th week of development most fetuses can be birthed, and survive. So the courts decided that at that point, the fetus becomes an autonomous human entity: a legal person. And it is for that reason that the, as yet, unborn fetus, developed past the 22nd-24th week, is legally considered an 'unborn child'. And thus cannot be aborted except under extraordinary, life-threatening conditions. And is considered a separate homicide if killed by the murder of the mother.

So this idea that autonomy as a primary requirement of 'personhood' is fundamental to our legal positions, not just on abortion, but on slavery, kidnapping, and murder, too. It is a fundamental aspect of every human being's right to exist because we cannot fully exist and be ourselves without autonomy (free will, and the liberty to exercise it).

It is this free will that you so easily and freely want to deny all pregnant women, simply because you have endowed, in your own mind, their fetuses with autonomous personhood. Yet those fetuses are NOT autonomous (until the 22nd to the 24th week of development) and they cannot develop or express their individual personhood as a result. So your endowing them as such is a very weak argument for denying half the adult human population of the world their right to determine what will happen inside their own bodies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So this idea that autonomy as a primary requirement of 'personhood' is fundamental to our legal positions ....

this is a two month old baby:

View attachment 23750

it is, by no stretch of the imagination, "autonomous"

by your retarded argument, it is not a person

and you have no justification for saying that it can't be killed at the whim of the mother

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The thing is, Town, that it doesn't matter what the mother thinks, or what you think. Because we are all allowed to think what we want, and we are each protected from other people forcing their thoughts on us, and visa versa.

The issue here is not that the women had sex irresponsibly (according to whomever), or that the women does not want to carry the pregnancy to term (for whatever reason). The issue here is that you want to deny her right to decide for herself what will happen insider her own body, by replacing her autonomous personhood with the thoughts and will of your own. Because you have determined in your own mind that fetuses are autonomous persons from the moment of their conception..

Can you think of any other medical condition in which someone's decision to "do whatever they wish with their own body" includes doing whatever they wish with the life and body of another person?

genuineoriginal

the anti-abortion folks don't want to understand the reasoning of the pro-choice side
That goes both ways.
Neither side on the issue want to understand the reasoning of the other side.

The pro-life side thinks, "It is reasonable to end an innocent life because it would inconvenience the mother to give birth," is a poor way to argue for abortion.

The pro-choice side thinks, "It is reasonable to ban abortions because abortions end a human life," is a poor way to argue for life.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sure. You can think about tar and feathering Congress, if it suits you...but you can't actually do it.

The issue here is not that the women had sex irresponsibly
While I never said anything about irresponsible sex, I'd say the issue is about the fundamental right to be and when that right has to be protected. Because our compact has already spoken to the right. But just as we once failed blacks in not upholding the standard of equality before the law for everyone (and women too, to a lesser extent) we're failing the unborn in our present consideration.

The issue here is that you want to deny her right to decide for herself what will happen insider her own body, by replacing her autonomous personhood with the thoughts and will of your own.
No. That's how you shape the rhetoric. There's no such animal as unimpaired liberty or absolute control of person. You can't even ingest anything you want when it's completely about you and choice. You should probably limit your remarks to your position and not try to tell me my motivation. Especially if you're going to get it this wrong. It will only take up needless time, satisfying as that sort of simplification may feel. :idunno:

Anyway, again, it's about the right to be and what we do about it, where that right must be reasonably defended. Even when that defense works a hardship on others.

Because you have determined in your own mind that fetuses are autonomous persons from the moment of their conception.
Rather, I have noted that we as a compact advance the truth that right isn't conferred by the state, only recognized and protected by it. Fundamental to all right is the right to be, which we only abrogate in our society in relation to serious, horrific violations of our compact.

So, here I stand, inarguably vested with that right, innocent of any act that would abrogate it. Going back along my chain of being at what point can any man say that right is divested without applying an arbitrary valuation? And therein lies the problem. We agree on the right but no one can set out a self-evident litmus for the point where it begins. If, then, this right exists and must be protected by us as a fundamental principle of law (absent those violations that cannot be present in the unborn) then we must protect the inarguable potential right (by which I mean the arguable but inconclusive point where we have an inarguably new biological being, but only an arguable legal one) wherever it exists. And that means from conception forward.

Yet you will not be able to explain to me or her why your thoughts and your will should be allowed to overrule her thoughts and her will
regarding the events taking place inside her own body.
Wrong, both in your premise to be overcome and concerning my ability to frame and answer, supra.
All you'll ever be able to do is proclaim yourself 'right', and her 'wrong', according to your having endowed the fetus with autonomous personhood in your mind. That's it. That's all you have as justification.
Not even a little true, supra.

This is why it's usually best to listen to the reasoning of the other fellow instead of making claims about something you haven't heard. Just a thought.

The law in this country regarding abortion is based on the idea of autonomous personhood.
Not exactly, but it doesn't address my point and I've already noted that I feel the legal reasoning with Roe was insufficient and a narrowed mistake made defacto law by virtue of the time and pressures of the day. If literal independence was the cornerstone of right the sleeping would have less of it and the comatose none at all.

genuineoriginal

this is a two month old baby:

View attachment 23750

it is, by no stretch of the imagination, "autonomous"

by your retarded argument, it is not a person

and you have no justification for saying that it can't be killed at the whim of the mother

This is what a couple of bioethicists said when they decided to take the rational arguments for abortion to the next logical conclusion.
_____
After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?
Alberto Giubilini, Francesca Minerva

Abstract
Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.
. . .
Conclusions
If criteria such as the costs (social, psychological, economic) for the potential parents are good enough reasons for having an abortion even when the fetus is healthy, if the moral status of the newborn is the same as that of the infant and if neither has any moral value by virtue of being a potential person, then the same reasons which justify abortion should also justify the killing of the potential person when it is at the stage of a newborn. . . .
_____​

PureX

That goes both ways. Neither side on the issue want to understand the reasoning of the other side.
It's easy to understand the anti-abortion argument, because no one thinks abortion is a good thing. But that's not the issue. The issue is taking away women's autonomy in favor of other people's presumptions about the 'personhood' of a fetus.
The pro-life side thinks, "It is reasonable to end an innocent life because it would inconvenience the mother to give birth," is a poor way to argue for abortion.
It would be if anyone was actually making that argument. But they aren't.
The pro-choice side thinks, "It is reasonable to ban abortions because abortions end a human life," is a poor way to argue for life.
You seem to be a bit confused about who is arguing what, but "ending human life" is a vague and biased characterization of abortion.

genuineoriginal

It's easy to understand the anti-abortion argument, because no one thinks abortion is a good thing.
If that was true, we wouldn't even be having this debate.
The issue is taking away women's autonomy in favor of other people's presumptions about the 'personhood' of a fetus.
Just like we take away a woman's autonomy when we say she can't kill her children after they are born?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's easy to understand the anti-abortion argument, because no one thinks abortion is a good thing.

Why do you not believe abortion is a *good thing*? You consistently argue in favor of abortion and yet proclaim it isn't a good thing. What don't you like about it?

But that's not the issue.

The issue is that one life is being destroyed because of where he/she currently exists. The issue is that THE life being destroyed had no choice in being created or his or her placement. There are only two individuals responsible for the unborn child's existence. The time to decide one doesn't want a child is PRIOR to pregnancy.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You aren't on this thread to discuss abortion, you are just here to complain about women.

Here is the proof:

Abortion came from feminism, it is not a creation of men but was enabled by those such as yourself. Feminized society opened the flood gates and then rails on people such as myself for having revealed you all's inconsistencies.

If you truly understood the state of society in relevance to abortion, you wouldn't neglect the SOLE PREMISE which led to it's institution in the FIRST PLACE.
I dont' see any of you being rational, linear, or objective at all- I see a bunch of inconsistent condemnation and unaccountable vainglory :rolleyes:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Psalm 137:8-9
Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

Meanwhile, in America..

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He probably read it slapped across a photograph published anonymously on the internet...seriously, he does that.

Any response on the contraceptive angle relating to resistance by many regarding the personhood movement. I have to admit I'd never really thought of it.
I'll get to it when I can. Working a lot of hours this week.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Personhood- the state or condition of being a person, especially having those qualities that confer distinct individuality

Personhood is a development, not an instantaneous happening.

and when, in human development, does a distinct individual first occur?

PureX

Sure. You can think about tar and feathering Congress, if it suits you...but you can't actually do it.
Thus, validating my point: that how a woman becomes pregnant without intending to, or why she does not want to carry the pregnancy through, is not relevant to the issue of her legal right to choose abortion.
I'd say the issue is about the fundamental right to be and when that right has to be protected.
Well, no, not really. Since no one is arguing that we do not have a fundamental right to exist. What is being argued is who, and how we are to determine, legally, when a human being has come to exist, and thus has that right to continued existence. Some of us feel that a person exists from the moment of conception, on. Others feel we come to exist at birth. And still others feel that it happens some time in between, but there are differing ideas as to when. While none of us can prove our theories to be irrefutably true.

So the issue is not whether or not a person has the right to exist, but when that right becomes claimable.
Because our compact has already spoken to the right. But just as we once failed blacks in not upholding the standard of equality before the law for everyone (and women too, to a lesser extent) we're failing the unborn in our present consideration.
Well, this is your opinion, yes. Because you believe personhood begins at conception. But not everyone does, and neither you nor they can prove what they believe to be true. So there we have it: the dilemma about legalized abortion.
There's no such animal as unimpaired liberty or absolute control of person.
That is true. But absolutism was neither necessary to, nor was it proclaimed, when I made my point. Personhood does require self will and the liberty to express it, to be manifested. It does not require absolute self will, nor absolute liberty. But it requires enough of these to allow the human biological entity to recognize that it has it's own will, and can exercise it according to it's own nature. Short of that, it's not much different from plant life. And fetuses in the womb, during the early stages of development, do not have an awareness of self will, nor the physical autonomy to express it even if it did. And in fact is no more a 'person' than the average house plant. I understand that it will eventually develop into a person, but it is not logically a 'person' from conception, onward.
Anyway, again, it's about the right to be and what we do about it, where that right must be reasonably defended. Even when that defense works a hardship on others.
Exactly. The problem is that we all have different ideas about when and what it means to come to "be", and therefor when and how that right must be recognized and defended. Yet no one has the right to force everyone else to abide by their idea of when and how this should happen even though some of us think that we should have the right to do so, and are willing to deny the rights of others to force them to comply.

You keep trying to focus on the human being's right to exist, and in so doing, you keep ignoring the real issue: that we don't all agree on what that means, or when exactly it happens. And although you can't prove your own opinion on this, you are still willing to force everyone else to comply with it.

Until you can justify your automatic presumption of this right to usurp the autonomy of others, to their satisfaction, they will not give you that authority. Thus, abortion is still legal, and will (and should) remain so until someone can resolve this dilemma. Either by presenting irrefutable proof for their claims about when a fetus becomes a person (thus convincing a significant majority of us to comply) and/or by developing an artificial womb in which unwanted pregnancies can be brought to birth without the forced use of the mother's body.
Rather, I have noted that we as a compact advance the truth that right isn't conferred by the state...
All the more reason, then, that the state should not be deciding this issue for the women who are faced with the decision.
Not exactly, but it doesn't address my point and I've already noted that I feel the legal reasoning with Roe was insufficient and a narrowed mistake made defacto law by virtue of the time and pressures of the day. If literal independence was the cornerstone of right the sleeping would have less of it and the comatose none at all.
The courts used the only reasonable criteria available to them. And it's a long-standing legal criteria, too, as 'personhood' has long been directly related to an individual's autonomy. Throughout most of U.S. hostly, women were only considered to be 2/3rds of a person, and as such were denied a significant degree of autonomy: the right to own property, and to vote, for example.

PureX

Can you think of any other medical condition in which someone's decision to "do whatever they wish with their own body" includes doing whatever they wish with the life and body of another person?
You're missing the point. A developing fetus inside a mother's womb is not considered "another person" until the 24th week of development, by the courts. YOU may consider them a "person", but the law does not. And part of the reason the law does not is because a fetus is not an autonomous being. It cannot even survive apart from the mother's body. And without autonomy, legally, 'personhood' cannot be manifested.

By the 24th week of development, a fetus can survive outside the womb if it has to. And so at that point the law considers it an 'autonomous person', and thereby recognizes the unborn person's right to life.

I understand that you feel differently, but your feelings about it do not constitute a reason to change the laws. Especially when those changes will deny the right of all women to control what happens inside their own bodies.

PureX

Why do you not believe abortion is a *good thing*? You consistently argue in favor of abortion and yet proclaim it isn't a good thing. What don't you like about it?
No one is arguing in favor of abortion. I have never met anyone who was actually in favor of aborting pregnancies in human women. Even the women who choose to do it are not doing it because they want to.

The fact that you continue to refuse to understand the difference between wanting to kill babies and protecting a woman's right to autonomy over her own body, you will never understand the abortion issue, nor anyone who does understand it.