ACTS 2 PENTECOST

turbosixx

Where did Peter preach Christ's resurrection? (not just "Jesus")

Acts 2:24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.
2:31 he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses.

turbosixx

Act 3:12 ....... Ye men of Israel ..............

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Paul said all men need to repent.
Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

What does he mean by "be converted"?

turbosixx

That's just wrong.

What do you understand Jesus is describing when He teaches about the kingdom. Like in the parable of the sower.
Lk. 8:10 he said, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of God, but for others they are in parables, so that ‘seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’ 11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Right Divider

Body part
What do you understand Jesus is describing when He teaches about the kingdom. Like in the parable of the sower.
Lk. 8:10 he said, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of God, but for others they are in parables, so that ‘seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’ 11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
When Jesus said this, the only Word of God was the law and the prophets.

turbosixx

When Jesus said this, the only Word of God was the law and the prophets.
Jesus said the kingdom was at hand so before His death it was still future. He said He was going to build His church, again looking to the future.

So you're saying this is not the church?
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13 And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe for a while, and in time of testing fall away. 14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. 15 As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus said the kingdom was at hand so before His death it was still future. He said He was going to build His church, again looking to the future.

So you're saying this is not the church?
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13 And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe for a while, and in time of testing fall away. 14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature. 15 As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.
Nope, you're using the term "the church" as if there can be only one. There is more than one. Acts 7:38

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul said all men need to repent.
Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

Indeed, he did. Unlike Peter, Paul didn't say that GOD would send Jesus back in response to that repentance.

What does he mean by "be converted"?

Words tend to evolve in meaning over time through useage in relation to various settings.

To be 'converted' is typically understood by most today, to change from no religion to some religion or to change from one religion to another religion.

That is not what 'converted' means in Scripture.
The word 'converted' in Greek is 'epistrepho', which means 'to turn or change direction.

In the case of those at Mars Hill, Paul is saying that these philosophers should 'repent-change of mind' and 'turn' to the true GOD[the Creator] from idols[false gods].

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Nope, you're using the term "the church" as if there can be only one. There is more than one. Acts 7:38

Not only that, but the word 'ekklesia/church/assembly' existed in the Greek language long before the NT was written.
It is translated 'assembly' three times in Acts 19 and the context informs us that the term is not being used to describe 'the church/BOC'.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings steko,......... I agree with your comment above that the Twelve Apostles will rule over the restored Kingdom to Israel in the regeneration, as long as you confirm that this is speaking of the remnant mortal population who survive Armageddon at the return of Jesus. I somehow feel that you may be suggesting that these subjects to the Apostles will have been raised from the dead.

Yes, Jews and Gentiles who survive the trib will be mortal.
Obviously, the twelve will have been resurrected in order to reign over the restored tribes.
And it appears that Daniel will be resurrected for that period, as well as other OT saints.

I assume that you accept that Jesus will reign over the whole earth, and thus also the remnant mortal populations of all the other nations will be subjected to His rule during the 1000 years.

Yep!

I agree, that the promises to David will be fulfilled in Christ and the restoration of Israel.

Yep!

Not sure what BOC represents.

The Body of Christ, the Church, the new entity, the one new man, composed of Jew and Gentile on equal ground, whose citizenship is in heaven.

This is where we part company, as I believe in the One Gospel of the Kingdom and the Name Acts 8:5-6,12.

euaggelion is a word that existed in the Greek language before the NT was ever written and simply means 'good news'. There are many good newses described in the NT writings.

The gospel of the Kingdom according to prophecy for Israel is one.

The gospel of Jesus Christ according to the mystery for the nations is another.

Still another is the gospel of the circumcision.

And another is the gospel of the uncircumcision.

There are more.

Kind regards
Trevor

:salute:

TrevorL

Greetings again steko,
Yes, Jews and Gentiles who survive the trib will be mortal.
Obviously, the twelve will have been resurrected in order to reign over the restored tribes.
And it appears that Daniel will be resurrected for that period, as well as other OT saints.
I believe that the NT saints will be there too, including Paul.
euaggelion is a word that existed in the Greek language before the NT was ever written and simply means 'good news'. There are many good newses described in the NT writings.
The gospel of the Kingdom according to prophecy for Israel is one.
The gospel of Jesus Christ according to the mystery for the nations is another.
Still another is the gospel of the circumcision.
And another is the gospel of the uncircumcision.
There are more. :salute:
No there is only one Gospel. Galatians is one evidence for this.

Kind regards
Trevor

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings again steko, I believe that the NT saints will be there too, including Paul.
No there is only one Gospel. Galatians is one evidence for this.

Kind regards
Trevor

What was the content of this gospel?

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham,

turbosixx

Indeed, he did. Unlike Peter, Paul didn't say that GOD would send Jesus back in response to that repentance.
True but I understand that their messages are complementary. They are both from the same source talking about the same thing, salvation. Paul baptized those who believe his preaching Jesus just as Peter did.

Words tend to evolve in meaning over time through useage in relation to various settings.

To be 'converted' is typically understood by most today, to change from no religion to some religion or to change from one religion to another religion.

That is not what 'converted' means in Scripture.
The word 'converted' in Greek is 'epistrepho', which means 'to turn or change direction.

In the case of those at Mars Hill, Paul is saying that these philosophers should 'repent-change of mind' and 'turn' to the true GOD[the Creator] from idols[false gods].

I agree. The version I read first says "turn back". If we look at what Peter says here and in chapter 2. What are they added to when they turn back?

TrevorL

Greetings again steko,
What was the content of this gospel?
Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham,
This shows that the One Gospel was preached to Abraham and was the same gospel that Paul preached.
Why did Paul stop baptizing?
This is a misapplication of 1 Corinthians 1:13-17. Paul and his companions continued to baptise.

Kind regards
Trevor

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Greetings again steko, This shows that the One Gospel was preached to Abraham and was the same gospel that Paul preached. This is a misapplication of 1 Corinthians 1:13-17. Paul and his companions continued to baptise.

Kind regards
Trevor
Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.”Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name.Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other.For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect. - 1 Corinthians 1:12-17 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians1:12-17&version=NKJV

So...

How many people did Paul baptise?

TrevorL

Greetings again turbosixx,
Jesus said the kingdom was at hand and if Peter saw it come with power then how was it not established? In that verse you quoted Peter said they were "eyewitnesses", that happened then.
I understand Matthew 16:28, 17:1-8 and 2 Peter 1:16-18 as being closely connected, and Peter speaks of the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to my understanding the Transfiguration is thus a vision of Christ in future glory.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again JudgeRightly,
So... How many people did Paul baptise?
Paul preached the Gospel and those that companied with him baptised those that responded to the Gospel in faith. This is similar to what Jesus did.
John 4:1-2 (KJV): When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, 2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)
There was always the danger that some would consider themselves privileged or special if they had been directly baptised by Christ or Paul. Paul’s comments relate to this very attitude, the danger of party factions.

Kind regards
Trevor

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings again steko, This shows that the One Gospel was preached to Abraham and was the same gospel that Paul preached.

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

The gospel/good news which GOD proclaimed unto Abraham was, "In thee shall all nations be blessed".

There is no hint to Abraham about a man named Jesus of Nazareth dying on a cross and rising the third day, which is the gospel which Paul preached and by which we are saved in this dispensation. Abraham simply believed what GOD told him and it was credited to him for righteousness.

The Bible is a progressive revelation and it is a false notion to say that OT saints understood beforehand that which Paul declares as 'the faith which should afterward be revealed' and was to be 'revealed in due time'.

Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

This is a misapplication of 1 Corinthians 1:13-17. Paul and his companions continued to baptise.

Kind regards
Trevor

It's not a misapplication. It's plain that there was a change in instruction.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize,

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

TrevorL

Greetings again steko,
Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
The gospel/good news which GOD proclaimed unto Abraham was, "In thee shall all nations be blessed".
There is no hint to Abraham about a man named Jesus of Nazareth dying on a cross and rising the third day, which is the gospel which Paul preached and by which we are saved in this dispensation. Abraham simply believed what GOD told him and it was credited to him for righteousness.
"In thee shall all nations be blessed" is a summary of the gospel, but Abraham received further detail as time and opportunity was presented. Even the occasion when it says that his faith was counted for righteousness is some years later when he is promised that the seed would be from him. The sacrifice of Isaac in Genesis 22 is an evidence that he understood that the Messiah would be like a burnt offering and would rise from the dead.
The Bible is a progressive revelation and it is a false notion to say that OT saints understood beforehand that which Paul declares as 'the faith which should afterward be revealed' and was to be 'revealed in due time'.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
More detail, but the same Gospel.
It's not a misapplication. It's plain that there was a change in instruction.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize,
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
I suggest that all that were introduced into each Ekklesia were baptised after they believed the One Gospel.

Kind regards
Trevor