A bit about me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
Hello, I believe in being up front, I am an Atheist. I have had no belief in god for several decades now, and I have no interest in changing that. Why, then, am I here? Good question, I have come here as an intellect, in search of an understanding of faith. I have a thirst to know why, when confronted with such overwhelming evidence against a personal god, Christians refuse to even acknowledge the obvious points.

I have a theist friend, we have a strange relationship, we take turns choosing a book to read, then we debate the pros and cons of what the author has written. I find that the more I read that is written by Christian writters the stronger my belief that god is a man-made construct, and my atheism grows even stronger.

So, here I am, open to discussions and debate. I make this promise to each of you. I am NOT here to cause you trouble, I am NOT here to disrupt your forum, and I am NOT here to deconvert anyone. I will answer questions, I will offer my rational opinions and views, I will guide you to read certain things, and in turn I'll listen to you and read what you present. My hope is we can do this openly, without hate or fear, that you will come to see me as a gentle soul, a man not possessed by the devil, or evil in my intent, but a man who loves life, his family, his world, and those who inhabit it.

I am a moral man, though many might think otherwise on this site. I am a hard working man, and I have reared two wonderful children, both of whom have gone on to lead very productive and wonderful adult lives. I volunteer in the community, I teach without trying to spread my views, and I love each of you in the spirit of mankind.

And, that is me, in a nutshell.

OMEGA

PHD means

Papa
Has
Dough.

That's all we need is an intellectual Atheist - join the crowd.

We got Wickens, Witches, Pagan Catholics, Buddhists , Christians , Protestants and Taoists.

Take a number.:sheep:

fzappa13

I am a moral man, though many might think otherwise on this site.

Quite a bit implied here. Number one, I would have to question what standard you hold yourself to that finds you "moral" in your own eyes ... and I'm also a little curious how a guy with one post finds himself in the position of having others question his morality after one post ... then again maybe I just answered my own question.

Life is full of such delicious ironies ...

zippy2006

Hello, I believe in being up front, I am an Atheist. I have had no belief in god for several decades now, and I have no interest in changing that. Why, then, am I here? Good question, I have come here as an intellect, in search of an understanding of faith. I have a thirst to know why, when confronted with such overwhelming evidence against a personal god, Christians refuse to even acknowledge the obvious points.

I have a theist friend, we have a strange relationship, we take turns choosing a book to read, then we debate the pros and cons of what the author has written. I find that the more I read that is written by Christian writters the stronger my belief that god is a man-made construct, and my atheism grows even stronger.

So, here I am, open to discussions and debate. I make this promise to each of you. I am NOT here to cause you trouble, I am NOT here to disrupt your forum, and I am NOT here to deconvert anyone. I will answer questions, I will offer my rational opinions and views, I will guide you to read certain things, and in turn I'll listen to you and read what you present. My hope is we can do this openly, without hate or fear, that you will come to see me as a gentle soul, a man not possessed by the devil, or evil in my intent, but a man who loves life, his family, his world, and those who inhabit it.

I am a moral man, though many might think otherwise on this site. I am a hard working man, and I have reared two wonderful children, both of whom have gone on to lead very productive and wonderful adult lives. I volunteer in the community, I teach without trying to spread my views, and I love each of you in the spirit of mankind.

Welcome :wave2:

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
I think so but your question about a "true blog" makes me wonder what you mean by that.

Why a couple? Why not one that rules all others?

Well, one is an atheist blog, the other is a educational blog. I do keep the two separate, though I have been known to cross over in each.

fzappa13

PHD means

Papa
Has
Dough.

We got Wickens, Witches, Pagan Catholics, Buddhists , Christians , Protestants and Taoists.

I beg to differ ... PHD is an acronym for ...

Pile it High and Deep ...

*rim shot*

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hello, I believe in being up front, I am an Atheist.
That should clear up any confusion your designation might have brought about. :plain:

I have had no belief in god for several decades now, and I have no interest in changing that.
So you're saying that if we decide we don't like you the odds are we won't have to feel put out for an extended period of time?

Why, then, am I here?
Well, there is no reason. You just answered that (either).

Good question,
Do you congratulate yourself as a form of compensation, or just to see how it feels?

I have come here as an intellect, in search of an understanding of faith.
Buy a good dictionary. :poly:

I have a thirst to know why, when confronted with such overwhelming evidence against a personal god, Christians refuse to even acknowledge the obvious points.
Ever considered the possibility that you're up to your eyeballs in pretentious, unfounded hooey? Just a thought, mind you.

How is that logically possible? :think: If you don't believe in God you really can't not believe in Him more, can you.

So, here I am, open to discussions and debate.
That's not what you just got through saying.

I make this promise to each of you. I am NOT here to cause you trouble, I am NOT here to disrupt your forum, and I am NOT here to deconvert anyone.
Then you won't be disappointed when none of those things happen. Good to know. :thumb:

I will answer questions,
About what?

I will offer my rational opinions and views, I will guide you to read certain things, and in turn I'll listen to you and read what you present.
To what purpose?

My hope is we can do this openly, without hate or fear, that you will come to see me as a gentle soul, a man not possessed by the devil, or evil in my intent, but a man who loves life, his family, his world, and those who inhabit it.
I don't have any reason to hate you, certainly don't fear you or think you're possessed by more than the sort of vanity that lies at the heart of atheism (not that vanity is its singular province). Love is a good thing. Tragic, the way you must exercise it, but a good thing.

I am a moral man, though many might think otherwise on this site.
Not to be harsh, but that's a pretty easy task for a relativist.

I am a hard working man, and I have reared two wonderful children, both of whom have gone on to lead very productive and wonderful adult lives.
Do they share your faith or have they gone in another direction?

I volunteer in the community, I teach without trying to spread my views, and I love each of you in the spirit of mankind.
I'm all for volunteer work. What do you teach? And lastly, there's no such thing. :D

Ah, well that's the first step then.

Welcome to TOL. :e4e:

fool

Hall of Fame
PHD means

Papa
Has
Dough.

Psst.....He just did with his newbie thread.....

We got Muslims, Hindus, many flavors of Atheists, some Mormons....
It's like a zoo
And do what with it?

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
Quite a bit implied here. Number one, I would have to question what standard you hold yourself to that finds you "moral" in your own eyes ... and I'm also a little curious how a guy with one post finds himself in the position of having others question his morality after one post ... then again maybe I just answered my own question.

Life is full of such delicious ironies ...

Two fallacies here, first is how one holds himself moral in his own eyes, I suppose since I do not have a Christian doctrine to guide me, my morals are what, suspect? My morality comes from doing the right things, helping others, being kind, loving those around me, and NOT being judgemental. As for the second issue, if you read what I posted, I said MIGHT question my morality based on my atheism. Come, come now, we have to be honest, many, many Christians believe that without religion one can't be moral. I've been an atheist a long time. If you are different, then you won't be offended by my statement, if you protest too much, well......

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
Psst.....He just did with his newbie thread.....

We got Muslims, Hindus, many flavors of Atheists, some Mormons....
It's like a zoo

And do what with it?

I like zoos, necessary evils in a sense, but still fun. I think people will find me tolerant, not overly intellectual, a poor speller, and somewhat of a smarteleck. Told you I'm a poor speller.

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
That should clear up any confusion your designation might have brought about. :plain:

So you're saying that if we decide we don't like you the odds are we won't have to feel put out for an extended period of time?

Well, there is no reason. You just answered that (either).

Do you congratulate yourself as a form of compensation, or just to see how it feels?

Buy a good dictionary. :poly:

Ever considered the possibility that you're up to your eyeballs in pretentious, unfounded hooey? Just a thought, mind you.

How is that logically possible? :think: If you don't believe in God you really can't not believe in Him more, can you.

That's not what you just got through saying.

Then you won't be disappointed when none of those things happen. Good to know. :thumb:

About what?

To what purpose?

I don't have any reason to hate you, certainly don't fear you or think you're possessed by more than the sort of vanity that lies at the heart of atheism (not that vanity is its singular province). Love is a good thing. Tragic, the way you must exercise it, but a good thing.

Not to be harsh, but that's a pretty easy task for a relativist.

Do they share your faith or have they gone in another direction?

I'm all for volunteer work. What do you teach? And lastly, there's no such thing. :D

Ah, well that's the first step then.

Welcome to TOL. :e4e:

Let's see, I'm not going to go through all the work you went though, although, please know I appreciate it. I do want to touch a couple things, however.

Do you always go through a person's introduction and seek to break it down for them? That's somewhat pretentious in itself, isn't it?

I hope no one hates me or fears me, well except my students perhaps (joke) and as for the vanity thing, why is an atheist any more or less vain than a theist. YOU are convinced you are going to live forever, YOU hold the assurance that you are right, that your god is real, that your way is the only way. THAT is vanity.

Funny you mention unfounded hooey, I happen to think that Christiantity, no religion, is built on unfounded hooey, with NO empirical proof or evidence for existence other than Faith. Hmmm... I've only been here an hour and already attacked, LOVE IT.

I have one child who is atheist, the other is agnostic, and my wife is a lifetime atheist. Nice group, we are.

So, here's what I found out about you. You are smug, you give the impression of being somewhat elitist but aren't most Christians, and you have some issues with defending your faith in a rational way. Well, thanks again for the chat.

fool

Hall of Fame
I like zoos, necessary evils in a sense, but still fun. I think people will find me tolerant, not overly intellectual, a poor speller, and somewhat of a smarteleck. Told you I'm a poor speller.

You mentioned that.
So where are you at on;
Gun control
Abortion
Age of the Earth
Moon landings
Birth certificates
Gay marrige
9/11
Oil spills
Roman Polanski
Britney Spears
World Cup
Health care
Immigration
N. Korea
Iran
Afganistan
Iraq
Iran
Israel
Spice Girls
Lindsey Lohan
Global warming
Electric cars
JFK
And so forth?

Atheist PhD

BANNED
Banned
Why keep them seperate?

Well, for the obvious reason that I simply can't stomach a Christian who uses his professional blog to preach his belief system, I am not looking to deconvert anyone in my professional life. As a Marriage and Family man, it isn't my job to deal with religion but with the psychology and sociology of the family unit. While this sometimes includes religion, I tend to stay away from religion as much as possible in my profession.

fool

Hall of Fame
Let's see, I'm not going to go through all the work you went though, although, please know I appreciate it. I do want to touch a couple things, however.

Do you always go through a person's introduction and seek to break it down for them? That's somewhat pretentious in itself, isn't it?

I hope no one hates me or fears me, well except my students perhaps (joke) and as for the vanity thing, why is an atheist any more or less vain than a theist. YOU are convinced you are going to live forever, YOU hold the assurance that you are right, that your god is real, that your way is the only way. THAT is vanity.

Funny you mention unfounded hooey, I happen to think that Christiantity, no religion, is built on unfounded hooey, with NO empirical proof or evidence for existence other than Faith. Hmmm... I've only been here an hour and already attacked, LOVE IT.

I have one child who is atheist, the other is agnostic, and my wife is a lifetime atheist. Nice group, we are.

So, here's what I found out about you. You are smug, you give the impression of being somewhat elitist but aren't most Christians, and you have some issues with defending your faith in a rational way. Well, thanks again for the chat.

That's TH, he makes a good point sometimes.
If you can decipher what he says.
(note the use of "sometimes" and "if" in the preceding)

Status
Not open for further replies.