58 Dead, 500 Plus Wounded

jsanford108

Sure. I've tried a few times, but mostly I'm met with institutionalized paranoia, the peculiar notion that rights aren't subject to reason, and arguments from tradition.

Worse, I am and have been for many years an actual lawyer (nothing against paralegals, but if I'm going to pass the Bar, pay for the license and suffer the CLE, I'm taking full credit, or blame, depending on your perspective).
My bad. I could not recall if you had taken the BAR or not, so I played it safe.

I don't see why not, though I'm only here now and again, as my third act educational practice keeps me away and busy these days.
In order to begin, I will just say that I stand in defense of the 2nd Amendment, as it is written and intended by the authors of the Constitution.

What recommendations would you suggest regarding firearm? What are your reasons for concluding that these recommendations would aid the country, and what do you think the long term effect of such legislation would be?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My bad. I could not recall if you had taken the BAR or not, so I played it safe.
No harm done, just clarifying the point.

In order to begin, I will just say that I stand in defense of the 2nd Amendment, as it is written and intended by the authors of the Constitution.
I'd have to ask what you mean by that. For instance, a good part of the inclination of the Founders dealt with a militia that was necessary absent a standing army, an army which we now have. That coupled with state guards eliminated that as a serious advance. Another reason protecting the right to bear arms was that a great many people relied upon them for food and living, along with protection along frontiers. Those are largely gone as well.

That said, I'm a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and a gun owner. What I'm not is someone who believes any right is without restraint or should be. Weapons have been designed with capacities that pose a demonstrable threat to public safety and the Court that has largely affirmed and protected a great deal of what's out there has also recognized our larger public interest in restricting certain weapons. I simply think they've thrown to narrow a net.

What recommendations would you suggest regarding firearm? What are your reasons for concluding that these recommendations would aid the country, and what do you think the long term effect of such legislation would be?
I support single shot weapons, breech loaders and bolt action rifles. I oppose clip loaded weapons and any aid that would significantly increase times for loadings, like speed loaders for the gray area revolvers. The reasons are straight forward enough: the weapons I promote and would protect are in complete accord with those the Founders/authors of the right believed capable of satisfying the right to bear arms. They're even better. What they aren't and won't accomplish that weapons I oppose can is the swift killing of large numbers of people. I think those weapons pose a clear and demonstrable danger to the republic and I note that where the sorts of laws I favor are in play there is a dramatic reduction in both mass shootings/murders and gun violence, and that this promotes a more pressing public good.

jsanford108

I am going to address your points somewhat out of order, but that is to demonstrate where we agree vs disagree. So, forgive any confusion that may result, for that fault would be my own.
That said, I'm a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and a gun owner. What I'm not is someone who believes any right is without restraint or should be. Weapons have been designed with capacities that pose a demonstrable threat to public safety and the Court that has largely affirmed and protected a great deal of what's out there has also recognized our larger public interest in restricting certain weapons. I simply think they've thrown to narrow a net.
I agree that any right comes with restraint. But, that exists already when it comes to guns. For example, a civilian cannot own a fully automatic weapon without prior training or a permit, which is quite costly and hard to obtain. A civilian cannot own military grade weapons, such as an M16, SAW, etc.

It is also illegal to point a gun at a person without due cause. One cannot fire a weapon within city limits, residential neighborhoods, etc. The list of "common sense" laws and regulations goes on.

Weapons only pose a threat to public safety in the hands of a person who, unarmed, is a threat to public safety.

What weapons would you suggest restricting, that are not already regulated/restricted?

I'd have to ask what you mean by that. For instance, a good part of the inclination of the Founders dealt with a militia that was necessary absent a standing army, an army which we now have. That coupled with state guards eliminated that as a serious advance. Another reason protecting the right to bear arms was that a great many people relied upon them for food and living, along with protection along frontiers. Those are largely gone as well.
I simply mean that I agree with the Second Amendment as it was intended by the authors of it. Such defenses of it can be found in various letters and articles by the founding fathers. They adamantly defend the right to defend oneself against any threat to ones' life and liberties.

The founders did not infer that a militia was only necessary absent an army. The people, and their ability to form a militia, is what safeguards the people against tyranny. A standing army would make no difference in a tyrannical state. In fact, it would be against the people.

The additional reason of firearms being a provision for food/protection (presumably against wildlife) is also false, as no such clarification is given. It is expressly about the preservation of life from a threat, with heavy inference on human threat, such as tyranny or malicious individual. There is no mention of food, hunting, etc.

I support single shot weapons, breech loaders and bolt action rifles. I oppose clip loaded weapons and any aid that would significantly increase times for loadings, like speed loaders for the gray area revolvers. The reasons are straight forward enough: the weapons I promote and would protect are in complete accord with those the Founders/authors of the right believed capable of satisfying the right to bear arms. They're even better. What they aren't and won't accomplish that weapons I oppose can is the swift killing of large numbers of people. I think those weapons pose a clear and demonstrable danger to the republic and I note that where the sorts of laws I favor are in play there is a dramatic reduction in both mass shootings/murders and gun violence, and that this promotes a more pressing public good.
There are several good points to address here, so I will break them down one at a time; akin to how one would break down a gun.

1.)"I support single shot weapons, breech loaders and bolt action rifles. I oppose clip loaded weapons and any aid that would significantly increase times for loadings, like speed loaders for the gray area revolvers." : I appreciate that you acknowledge revolvers as a gray area. Most people don't seem to realize the irrational nature of their anti-assault style arguments, and how many of the same stats can apply to revolvers.

2.)"The reasons are straight forward enough: the weapons I promote and would protect are in complete accord with those the Founders/authors of the right believed capable of satisfying the right to bear arms." : This part is untrue. Single shot weapons would not protect against a tyrannical government, which possesses fully automatic weapons. If three men break into a house, then a single shot weapon, or any weapon without semi-auto capabilities, is good only in a situation of tactical advantage, not in normal malicious circumstances.

This also ignores the fact that those who commit crimes are uncaring of what is legal/illegal. By limiting the accessibility of a law-abiding citizen to less effective guns, the criminal has a significant and mortal advantage over the citizen.

So, these reasons are in disagreement with the intent and rights outlined by the Founders.

3.)"They're even better." : Well, not statistically. https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/1

4.) "What they aren't and won't accomplish that weapons I oppose can is the swift killing of large numbers of people." : Snipers can eliminate high numbers with bolt-action rifles. An effective killer is not limited by instruments. We see excessive numbers stabbed by terrorists, who cannot access guns. We see vehicular manslaughter, such as the racist at that rally. The Boston bombers did not use guns. Mass murder is not curbed by limiting weapons; in fact, statistically, it is aided by it.

5.)" I note that where the sorts of laws I favor are in play there is a dramatic reduction in both mass shootings/murders and gun violence, and that this promotes a more pressing public good. " : Would you mind providing reference to such circumstances? It would definitely aid your argument.

My position is that gun regulation, as it exists, is fine. In fact, we see a correlation in the increased number of guns and a decrease in crimes.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree that any right comes with restraint.
So far so good.

But, that exists already when it comes to guns.
I'd agree and have recognized that we have laws relating to them. I believe that technology has made it necessary to revisit them for reasons touched upon in my last and set out in particular over the course of this thread.

Weapons only pose a threat to public safety in the hands of a person who, unarmed, is a threat to public safety.
Well, I'd agree that the sort of person who becomes a mass shooter/murderer is a dangerous person in general and that what particular sorts of guns afford them is the ability to be that danger to a greater number of people.

What weapons would you suggest restricting, that are not already regulated/restricted?
It's easier to tell you, as I did in my last, what I support. Anything that isn't in that group is something I'd remove from the stream of commerce. I support breech loaded shotguns and bolt action rifles. Single shot pistols as well, though I'm open to discuss revolvers. Nothing loaded by clip. Nothing semi or fully automatic. No implement in support designed to accelerate loading and firing, as with speed loaders and bump stocks.

Such defenses of it can be found in various letters and articles by the founding fathers. They adamantly defend the right to defend oneself against any threat to ones' life and liberties.
And the weapons I support are better at doing everything the Founders found sufficient to the task.

The founders did not infer that a militia was only necessary absent an army.
They didn't have to. That was literally the reason for a militia. It wasn't inferred. It was set out directly. The reason that it was "necessary for a free state" was because we lacked a standing army.

The people, and their ability to form a militia, is what safeguards the people against tyranny.
It really doesn't and hasn't. Historically, once we had an armed forces those (men and women involved) safeguarded us and the Constitution they were and are sworn to defend.

A standing army would make no difference in a tyrannical state. In fact, it would be against the people.
A mob of people with AR 15s wouldn't make a real difference in a firefight with those armed forces.

The additional reason of firearms being a provision for food/protection (presumably against wildlife) is also false, as no such clarification is given.
Well, you can't say "also false" unless you demonstrate something is necessarily false that precedes it. I advance that you haven't. But beyond that, I didn't say the clarification was given. I said among the reasons why the right was important was the empirically verifiable fact that much of the population used it for exactly those purposes. They needed to be able to raise a citizen army. They understood those citizens used those arms to provide food, livelihood, and protection for themselves as well. Every single point in that is true. No falsity involved in any part of it.

It is expressly about the preservation of life from a threat, with heavy inference on human threat, such as tyranny or malicious individual. There is no mention of food, hunting, etc.
The most important thing to the nation at the point of framing was the preservation of that nation in the absence of a standing army. No doubt about it. But if that's the resting point then the right has outlived its usefulness, because it is no longer necessary for the security of our free state. But I'd argue that there are other reasons that are legitimate ones and warrant its continuation. I don't recall anything about malicious individuals in the right though, to echo your approach.

There are several good points to address here, so I will break them down one at a time; akin to how one would break down a gun.

1.)I appreciate that you acknowledge revolvers as a gray area. Most people don't seem to realize the irrational nature of their anti-assault style arguments, and how many of the same stats can apply to revolvers.
Absent speed loaders a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous, except in terms of concealment, than a double barrel shotgun.

2.)"The reasons are straight forward enough: the weapons I promote and would protect are in complete accord with those the Founders/authors of the right believed capable of satisfying the right to bear arms." : This part is untrue.
No, it's literally true that the weapons I support are more capable than the weapons in existence and which the Founders found capable of serving the purpose of fulfilling the right. The militia no longer being necessary for the defense of our nation, those are the only remaining reasons that should compel, along with the simple right to own property.

Single shot weapons would not protect against a tyrannical government, which possesses fully automatic weapons.
Nothing in that right, to follow your own way of examining it prior, speaks to the idea of overthrowing our government. In point of fact, though there was some mistrust among some Founders (and remember that we had more of a compact than what our evolving Union would become by a century later) the idea wasn't to fight among ourselves but to repel invaders, like the British.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The fact is that once we achieved that standing army, again, that existence was no longer necessary. And there's no real reason to suggest some inherent noble purity and protection vests in a militia in any way that it cannot or should not as readily vest in our armed forces. There's a better argument to the contrary.

If three men break into a house, then a single shot weapon, or any weapon without semi-auto capabilities, is good only in a situation of tactical advantage, not in normal malicious circumstances.
If fifty men rush your house it won't matter. What I mean is that once we begin manufacturing scenarios, hypotheticals, that will largely never happen to justify the existence of a thing that is increasingly involved in non-hypothetical situations ending in the deaths of scores of people, there's not much real argument going on.

This also ignores the fact that those who commit crimes are uncaring of what is legal/illegal.
It really doesn't. It addresses ease of access, which goes to importation, manufacturing, and legal possession. Impact the supply and you impact the use.

A great many weapons used in criminal enterprise are stolen from people who possess them legally. And most of the worst mass shootings are committed by people who aren't actively engaged in any criminal enterprise beyond the one we come to when their purpose in the previously legal accumulation of weapons is revealed.

By limiting the accessibility of a law-abiding citizen to less effective guns, the criminal has a significant and mortal advantage over the citizen.
No. We have police forces and weapons sufficient to safeguard ourselves and property from the rule of what and how criminals use weapons outside of their use on one another in relation to the more organized elements and enterprises.

3.)"They're even better." : Well, not statistically. https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/1
They are literally better weapons, and faster firing ones. The weapons of that day were flintlock pistols and muskets. And your link was to the opening page of a voluminous report. Better for you to quote some portion of it so I'll know what you mean to suggest by it.

4.) "What they aren't and won't accomplish that weapons I oppose can is the swift killing of large numbers of people." : Snipers can eliminate high numbers with bolt-action rifles.
First, a sniper is just someone in hiding with a gun. It doesn't follow that they're particularly skilled. And while they certainly could kill a number of people, the difference between that potential and someone with a semi automatic or fully automatic weapon is profound, which remains the point.

An effective killer is not limited by instruments.
That's a peculiar statement, because someone is not an effective killer until the act is completed. It's a bit like saying a pregnant woman is not deterred by contraception.

We see excessive numbers stabbed by terrorists, who cannot access guns.
We've seen some stabbings in various places where guns aren't as readily available and some where they are. What we haven't seen is anything like the death count by those stabbers that we would see or expect with semi and fully automatic weapons, so it really supports my point.

We see vehicular manslaughter, such as the racist at that rally.
We've seen some instances of that, to be sure. What we haven't found in every other industrialized Western democracy is people simply shifting means. For the most part that's understandable, because there really isn't as easy an alternative when it comes to killing a lot of people quickly.

The Boston bombers did not use guns. Mass murder is not curbed by limiting weapons; in fact, statistically, it is aided by it.
In order, of course not. And no one is suggesting that ending the legal possession of the sorts of weapons I'm speaking to will end violence or every sort.

To the second, what is clear is that it will significantly impact violence of this very particular and lethal sort and that in those Western democracies I've spoken to you haven't found the death toll simply shifting into another category. And given the statistically dramatic difference between them and us, for all our guns, the argument that eliminating some guns raises the danger or facilitates it is simply wrong.

5.)" I note that where the sorts of laws I favor are in play there is a dramatic reduction in both mass shootings/murders and gun violence, and that this promotes a more pressing public good. " : Would you mind providing reference to such circumstances? It would definitely aid your argument.
I've repeatedly set out links to figures relating to the literally dramatic disparity per citizen in this country and the Western democracies noted above and prior. I've also set out links that examine an equally damning statistical difference between states here with strong gun laws and those without them in terms of gun deaths and injuries per 100k. The worst have the weakest and the best the strongest. And the disparity runs to double digits.

My position is that gun regulation, as it exists, is fine. In fact, we see a correlation in the increased number of guns and a decrease in crimes.
Well we've seen crime in general decrease as the Baby Boomers age, but then the point of eliminating certain particular classes of weapons is to impact gun violence and mass shootings and not as some larger solution to criminal enterprise. Also, we have more guns per citizen than any nation on earth and yet are the least safe among our Western cousins.

jsanford108

I provided a summary at the end of this reply, to better grasp the main points that I made. I will try and response to only main antagonistic posits from here on out. I find that my detail oriented nature ends up generating long replies, which can be obnoxious to both myself and others.

If there are certain points that you wish me to address, which I do not, please let me know. I will attempt to keep my responses much shorter, more direct, and focused.

It's easier to tell you, as I did in my last, what I support. Anything that isn't in that group is something I'd remove from the stream of commerce. I support breech loaded shotguns and bolt action rifles. Single shot pistols as well, though I'm open to discuss revolvers. Nothing loaded by clip. Nothing semi or fully automatic. No implement in support designed to accelerate loading and firing, as with speed loaders and bump stocks.
Are you also for stricter regulations on knives, which account for a large number of violent assaults?

And the weapons I support are better at doing everything the Founders found sufficient to the task.
The Founders also allowed citizens to have cannons, fifteen shot pistols, volley guns, etc. Do these seem comparable to the simple weapons that you suggest? I would argue "no."

They didn't have to. That was literally the reason for a militia. It wasn't inferred. It was set out directly. The reason that it was "necessary for a free state" was because we lacked a standing army.
But the second amendment is not about a militia, it is about arming the people.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." It does not say anything about a militia being present or not affecting the arming of the People.

To argue that the arming of the People was contingent upon the fomentation of a militia is directly contradictory to both the amendment, and the intentions of the Founders.

It really doesn't and hasn't. Historically, once we had an armed forces those (men and women involved) safeguarded us and the Constitution they were and are sworn to defend.
So, you would say that a government, becoming tyrannical, is impossible, in the US?

If so, you are ignorant of reality. This has occurred historically; usually right after extreme gun control, comparable to what you suggest. Armies are not loyal to the people; they are loyal to the government.

A mob of people with AR 15s wouldn't make a real difference in a firefight with those armed forces.
But they would stand more of a chance than with simple single-shots.

Well, you can't say "also false" unless you demonstrate something is necessarily false that precedes it. I advance that you haven't. But beyond that, I didn't say the clarification was given. I said among the reasons why the right was important was the empirically verifiable fact that much of the population used it for exactly those purposes. They needed to be able to raise a citizen army. They understood those citizens used those arms to provide food, livelihood, and protection for themselves as well. Every single point in that is true. No falsity involved in any part of it.
I find this to be more of a quibble. You and I both know that the second amendment in no capacity mentions hunting. To use hunting rifles as an inference, arguing that it was relevant to the time, is a fallacy, since no such clarification was ever made. Again, I think this is detracting from the real issue at hand.

The most important thing to the nation at the point of framing was the preservation of that nation in the absence of a standing army. No doubt about it. But if that's the resting point then the right has outlived its usefulness, because it is no longer necessary for the security of our free state. But I'd argue that there are other reasons that are legitimate ones and warrant its continuation. I don't recall anything about malicious individuals in the right though, to echo your approach.
Incorrect. While the prime event that the Founders were focus on was an inevitable conflict with Britain, the rights outlined were not directed at war or international conflict purposes. If this were the case, freedom of speech, assembly, press, etc. would not have been the first right outlined. Nor would matters of jury, due process, etc.

Therefore, to relegate a right to arms as a singular means of establishing an armed force is a falsehood. Now, that is not what you have done, however, your argument appears to place heavy emphasis on such a claim.

And yes, there is no direct mention of malicious individual; yet such persons are outlined by the Founders, regarding the right to arms, in other documents. Thus, it is relevant. Surely, you concur.

Absent speed loaders a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous, except in terms of concealment, than a double barrel shotgun.
This demonstrates an ignorance of firearms.

Take for example the Judge handgun. It fires six .45 loads, or .410 loads. Six "shotgun" loads is much more dangerous than a double barrel shotgun. A double-barrel shotgun, or any single shot weapon for that matter, usually has limits (excluding those with clip/magazine capabilities) the number of rounds to around 6 or 7. There are revolvers with up to 10 rounds. My point is that number does determine effectiveness, as does the size of the caliber the weapon uses.

So, you are wrong on this point. Do you see how?

No, it's literally true that the weapons I support are more capable than the weapons in existence and which the Founders found capable of serving the purpose of fulfilling the right. The militia no longer being necessary for the defense of our nation, those are the only remaining reasons that should compel, along with the simple right to own property.
Wrong. Let us examine some weapons that were utilized in those days, which the Founders would have had knowledge of.

The Belton flintlock, Girandoni air rifle, puckle gun, pepper-box revolvers, volley gun, etc. All of these weapons fire more than one or two rounds per second. So, to also rely on an ideology of the Founders having solely hunting rifles, or frontier rifles in mind is simply ignorant.

As for the arming of the people being the purpose of defense against invader, this is disproved by a simple quote from Jefferson: "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” (Thomas Jefferson, Preamble to a Bill for the More General Diffusion of Knowledge
Fall 1778, Papers 2:526; The Founders' Constitution
Volume 1, Chapter 18, Document 11
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch18s11.html
The University of Chicago Press)

Nothing in that right, to follow your own way of examining it prior, speaks to the idea of overthrowing our government. In point of fact, though there was some mistrust among some Founders (and remember that we had more of a compact than what our evolving Union would become by a century later) the idea wasn't to fight among ourselves but to repel invaders, like the British.
I at no point have spoken of "overthrowing our government."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The fact is that once we achieved that standing army, again, that existence was no longer necessary. And there's no real reason to suggest some inherent noble purity and protection vests in a militia in any way that it cannot or should not as readily vest in our armed forces. There's a better argument to the contrary.
TH, this continued insistence that once a standing army was achieved, then the militia and arming of the people became obsolete. What nation, in the time of the drafting of the Constitution, did not have a standing army? Recall, at this time, we were assembling an army. Basic common sense (in 1776) would state that every sovereign nation has an army. So, to make a right assured to it citizens, dealing with formation of a military is ludicrous.

If fifty men rush your house it won't matter. What I mean is that once we begin manufacturing scenarios, hypotheticals, that will largely never happen to justify the existence of a thing that is increasingly involved in non-hypothetical situations ending in the deaths of scores of people, there's not much real argument going on.
You are right. It would not matter if fifty men rushed my house, if I only had single shot rifles. It would be futile. But, if I had access to weapons with 25 round magazines, then I would stand a chance.

It really doesn't. It addresses ease of access, which goes to importation, manufacturing, and legal possession. Impact the supply and you impact the use.
I know it is an old, and overused argument, but it is relevant: Heroin, cocaine, etc are illegal. Yet, people still have access to them. Has this supply not been impacted?

To make something illegal does not negate it as viable. Murder is illegal. Yet, murders occur everyday. Speeding is illegal. Yet speeding occurs millions, if not billions, of times a day. Laws only affect those who abide by them.

No. We have police forces and weapons sufficient to safeguard ourselves and property from the rule of what and how criminals use weapons outside of their use on one another in relation to the more organized elements and enterprises.
What is the average response time of a police force to a home invasion? Or how about to a public murder, such as any mass shooting?

An individual with a gun can, and more often than mass shootings, does stop extensive loss of life. Exponentially in fact.

First, a sniper is just someone in hiding with a gun. It doesn't follow that they're particularly skilled. And while they certainly could kill a number of people, the difference between that potential and someone with a semi automatic or fully automatic weapon is profound, which remains the point.

That's a peculiar statement, because someone is not an effective killer until the act is completed. It's a bit like saying a pregnant woman is not deterred by contraception.
Points taken. I concur on these.

We've seen some instances of that, to be sure. What we haven't found in every other industrialized Western democracy is people simply shifting means. For the most part that's understandable, because there really isn't as easy an alternative when it comes to killing a lot of people quickly.
You mean like bombs, which are illegal to manufacture?

In order, of course not. And no one is suggesting that ending the legal possession of the sorts of weapons I'm speaking to will end violence or every sort.

To the second, what is clear is that it will significantly impact violence of this very particular and lethal sort and that in those Western democracies I've spoken to you haven't found the death toll simply shifting into another category. And given the statistically dramatic difference between them and us, for all our guns, the argument that eliminating some guns raises the danger or facilitates it is simply wrong.
But statistics demonstrate that we have more guns in the hands of civilians than ever before; yet crime statistics do not show an increase in mass shootings. The correlation that such an argument as yours suggests just does not exist.

If I am wrong, please, post some stats from a reliable source.

I've repeatedly set out links to figures relating to the literally dramatic disparity per citizen in this country and the Western democracies noted above and prior. I've also set out links that examine an equally damning statistical difference between states here with strong gun laws and those without them in terms of gun deaths and injuries per 100k. The worst have the weakest and the best the strongest. And the disparity runs to double digits.
If you just reference them adequately (such as the statistic, where it applies, and the resulting conclusion), I will try and find them.

Also, we have more guns per citizen than any nation on earth and yet are the least safe among our Western cousins.
Where is this statistic? Sweden shows the best stats, yet they have nearly every citizen armed.

The UK saw an increase in crime with gun restrictive laws introduced. This is evident across Europe. This claim of the US being the least safe is always stated, but never factually evident.

And your link was to the opening page of a voluminous report. Better for you to quote some portion of it so I'll know what you mean to suggest by it.
My apologies. I will try and be more effective and heed this advice in the future. Thank you.

In summation;
In summation; The Second Amendment was not written as a precursor to a standard military. It was written to assure citizens the right to self-defense from internal (domestic, such as the US government) and external (such as invading forces) threats. If you continue with this insistence, I will provide evidence from the Founders, with respective sources, to efficiently demonstrate my claim.

The Second Amendment is not written with musket mentality, as evidenced by the various types of "high-capacity" firearms that were available, and used, at the time of the Bill of Rights' drafting. Thus, any argument that such closed mentality was present is false.

Guns, and their respective laws/regulations as they currently exist, are not directly correlational to gun crime/mass shootings. Statistics demonstrate that more lives are saved by the types of weapons you would restrict/ban, than are murdered with them.

Lastly, your prescribed regulations and restrictions target only guns; ignoring evidence that more people are harmed by knives each year in assaults, than with guns. Unless you prescribe similar restrictions on knives, then you argument falls to hypocrisy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Are you also for stricter regulations on knives, which account for a large number of violent assaults?
No, but then I can't think of the last time someone with a knife killed twenty something people in a go, let alone fifty or better. And I'm not against all guns, though someone with a breech loader or a bolt action rifle could kill a few people with it. As I noted a number of times on the topic, what I'm speaking to is the ease with which a thing designed to kill can be used to kill a great many people in a very short time.

The Founders also allowed citizens to have cannons, fifteen shot pistols, volley guns, etc.
Again, when you have to raise an army from the citizenry you need the weapons of an army.

Do these seem comparable to the simple weapons that you suggest? I would argue "no."
A different purpose. And once that purpose was satisfied elsewhere restrictions began to pop up in law to restrict or deny access to especially dangerous weapons. And the Court upheld those restrictions.

But the second amendment is not about a militia, it is about arming the people.
No, it's not. Read the Amendment and note the premise.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." It does not say anything about a militia being present or not affecting the arming of the People.
That highlighted section is the "why" or the reason, purpose behind the amendment.

So, you would say that a government, becoming tyrannical, is impossible, in the US?
I'd say you don't make a rule based on a hypothetical, because almost anything is possible. What's more than possible, what is probable, is that without restricting the weapons I'm speaking to and making some serious changes to access we will continue to have the comparative disadvantage in terms of death count and gun related violence that we have today and that more and more Americans find unacceptable, as they should.

If so, you are ignorant of reality. This has occurred historically; usually right after extreme gun control, comparable to what you suggest. Armies are not loyal to the people; they are loyal to the government.
Rather, I'm well versed in history and understand that you're not speaking to the habits of western democracies.

But they would stand more of a chance than with simple single-shots.
And a bucket full of water will do more than a glass in a forest fire, but the difference won't really matter.

I find this to be more of a quibble. You and I both know that the second amendment in no capacity mentions hunting.
I didn't say that it did. It's about a militia, but I noted other things the Founders had to be aware of that were a part of the reality of the day.

To use hunting rifles as an inference, arguing that it was relevant to the time, is a fallacy, since no such clarification was ever made. Again, I think this is detracting from the real issue at hand.
Then it would be your problem as I clarified on the point once and now again. So...

Incorrect. While the prime event that the Founders were focus on was an inevitable conflict with Britain, the rights outlined were not directed at war or international conflict purposes. If this were the case, freedom of speech, assembly, press, etc. would not have been the first right outlined. Nor would matters of jury, due process, etc.
It's not incorrect and that's not a rebuttal. The amendment tells you what its about and a militia was a rallied army for the purpose of repelling hostile forces. That's all it was used for in that day.

Therefore, to relegate a right to arms as a singular means of establishing an armed force is a falsehood.
No, it's what the amendment says. You need to curtail the "ignorant" and "falsehood" rhetoric if you want to have the sort of conversation with me you asked for...and I don't have time for the other sort. A falsehood is a knowing misrepresentation and telling someone that because they don't share your opinion they're ignorant is similarly problematic for meaningful difference and civil discourse.

I'll have to come back for the rest as it's late with school in the morning. :cheers:

Like that. I'm a qualified marksman, former ROTC, life long gun owner and hunter and I've actually been fired upon a couple of times. So maybe you're just not taking my point or maybe you're taking it somewhere else.

jsanford108

Thank you for the reply.

You need to curtail the "ignorant" and "falsehood" rhetoric if you want to have the sort of conversation with me you asked for...and I don't have time for the other sort. A falsehood is a knowing misrepresentation and telling someone that because they don't share your opinion they're ignorant is similarly problematic for meaningful difference and civil discourse.
I address this first, due to the apparent need to clarify terminology/vocabulary.

I agree with your definition of "falsehood," being a knowing misrepresentation. I have not at any point labeled your arguments or claims as a falsehood, due to them being opposing to my claim/stance. If I say "grass is purple," you can accurately label and call such claim a "falsehood." You would be right to do so; and have merely spoken true. If I am offended by such a label, then I am preferring ignorance to truth; thus, I am preferring a falsehood and my argument becomes a fallacy.

"Ignorant" is when one does not possess knowledge of a fact or truth. I only use the word in this denotation. "Ignorance" is the absence of knowledge. By labeling some of your claims as "ignorant," I am highlighting an attribute of said claim. Statements of fact, and the discussion of said facts, are the exact sort of conversation that I seek.

If you find facts problematic or aggregate to your view, then the issue does not lie with me, rather your view of reality. I state this upfront, so that you may efficiently understand my usage of "ignorant" and "falsehood," when they are applied to your claims.

No, but then I can't think of the last time someone with a knife killed twenty something people in a go, let alone fifty or better. And I'm not against all guns, though someone with a breech loader or a bolt action rifle could kill a few people with it. As I noted a number of times on the topic, what I'm speaking to is the ease with which a thing designed to kill can be used to kill a great many people in a very short time.
In 2014, 35 people were killed, with 143 injured, in a knife wielding spree, in China. In 2016, a man in Tokyo killed 19, wounding 26.

Outside of the US, and even at times within the US, knives are the weapon of choice for murder in Western civilizations. According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, four times as many people are killed with knives than rifles.

Unless you are for more restrictions on knives than rifles (which you have admitted that you are not), then you are hypocritical in your approach towards instruments used for crime.

Again, when you have to raise an army from the citizenry you need the weapons of an army.

A different purpose....

No, it's not. Read the Amendment and note the premise.

It's about a militia....

It's not incorrect and that's not a rebuttal. The amendment tells you what its about and a militia was a rallied army for the purpose of repelling hostile forces. That's all it was used for in that day.

In response to my statement of "Therefore, to relegate a right to arms as a singular means of establishing an armed force is a falsehood." : No, it's what the amendment says.
Okay. I am not being condescending, but I am going to walk you through the first three parts of the document known as "We the People," and the Bill of Rights (preamble, first and second amendment), akin to a 5th grade history class.

We the People: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this constitution for the United States of America."

Now, when it says "provide for the common defense," does that not allude to a standard army and military force? Yes. It does. Does any portion of this document infer that once this military is established, any preconceived rights assured to the people are obsolete? No it does not.

Bill of Rights: Preamble; "THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

"RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

"ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution."

Notice, in Resolved, the following: "to be valid to all intents and purposes." Does any part of the preamble mention the cessation of any assured rights upon the formation of a military force? No it does not. In fact, no part of the preamble mentions any of the subsequent amendments as being written as a prelude to Revolution, or contingent upon it.

First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Does this also serve as a means of establishing a revolution against Britain? Of course not. If we apply your approach to the second amendment to the first, we should then highly regulate, restrict, and ban freedoms to exercise religion, speech, press, assembly, and petitions. Due to these rights being assembled to "repel hostile forces;" since that initial threat (Britain) is not longer an issue, then these rights are no longer valid.

Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

A well regulated Militia is formed by the people, not the government. The people's ability to form a militia, in order to repel tyranny, is contingent upon their ability to effectively arm themselves.

Also, notice the comma after "State?" It doesn't say the Militia has the right to bear arms, does it? It says "the right of the people." That comma is what destroys your argument that the second amendment is about forming an army, contingent upon a military formation, etc.

That highlighted section is the "why" or the reason, purpose behind the amendment.
Well, let us see what the Founders have to say about that:

Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers, No. 28: "If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense."

Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824: The Constitution of most of our stated (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book quoting Cesare Beccaria, 1744-1776: The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined no determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage then to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776: "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

George Mason, Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 17878: "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Seems they all agree with my analysis and claim, rather than yours. So, can we conclude that your assertions regarding the second amendment as solely a precursor (now obsolete) to formation of a military force is a falsehood?

Rather, I'm well versed in history and understand that you're not speaking to the habits of western democracies.
Well, history disagrees with you. Let us examine some historical evidence of western civilizations (Germany being the only democracy) now:

Soviet Union: established gun control laws in 1929. 20 million dissidents rounded up and exterminated. No guns to protect themselves or form a militia. (This also shows restrictions on free speech, another leftist agenda)

Germany: established gun control laws in 1938. From 1948 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others exterminated. Once again, no guns to protect themselves or form a militia.

China: established gun control laws in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents exterminated. Once again, no guns to protect themselves or form a militia (also, free speech restrictions).

In summary, knives are used to take more lives and injure than rifles. With you not in favor of stricter regulations on knives, a hypocrisy is exposed with your argument for gun restrictions/regulations.

Your claims and argument that the second amendment "reads," "says," "was used for," etc solely for the purpose, and as a precursor that is no longer necessary, to form a military force is a falsehood. This is evidenced by the documents of the Founding Fathers, basic grammar and vocabulary, history, and context.

Therefore, your argument regarding the second amendment is null and void. You can continue this preference for falsehood, but that would render you willfully ignorant.

You could still effectively argue for gun regulation and restrictions, however, to rely on your present argument of the context of the second amendment would be illogical and irrational.

Off topic, somewhat....
Like that. I'm a qualified marksman, former ROTC, life long gun owner and hunter and I've actually been fired upon a couple of times. So maybe you're just not taking my point or maybe you're taking it somewhere else.
I am a qualified marksman, life long gun owner (not a hunter or fisherman), and never been fired upon. I have a concealed-carry permit. I own guns that cause more damage than an AR-15.

My sister was in ROTC. She owns a gun. She is a qualified marksman. She can't tell you crap about guns or their mechanics.

You are trying to make an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree with your definition of "falsehood," being a knowing misrepresentation. If I say "grass is purple," you can accurately label and call such claim a "falsehood."
I can assume that, or I can see if you're color blind or simply mistaken for some other reason. The choice I make says something about the spirit of my involvement. So I should be careful about that.

In 2014, 35 people were killed, with 143 injured, in a knife wielding spree, in China.
A horrible thing. Now unpack it. In the account you're speaking to it wasn't some lone nut, but a group of men in a train station. A group of individuals in a tightly packed space committing an act of terrorism. A planned and coordinated act. They have more in common with Tim McVey than with the deranged or evil young man in Florida, or the deranged and/or evil fellow in Las Vegas. That is to say, they are an outlier among outliers and really, practically speaking, outside of the point.

Outside of the US, and even at times within the US, knives are the weapon of choice for murder in Western civilizations. According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, four times as many people are killed with knives than rifles. Unless you are for more restrictions on knives than rifles (which you have admitted that you are not), then you are hypocritical in your approach towards instruments used for crime.
Well, no. It is a fact that more knives are used than rifles in violent acts. It's a rather singular one. But my objection has not been limited to rifles and where rifles not to all. Your statement that then asserts I must be a hypocrite if I'm not similarly situated on restricting knives without your having similarly framed the point is mistaken.

Knives, unlike the class of guns I'm considering, haven't been designed to kill a great many people in a short period of time. And in the singular sense (use of any one of them to manage it) they have rarely been used to accomplish or capable of that end. Recall that this was a part of my noting what distinguishes the class of weapons that I objected to in relation to the sort of weapon I support in defense of the right.

Okay. I am not being condescending, but I am going to walk you through the first three parts of the document known as "We the People," and the Bill of Rights (preamble, first and second amendment), akin to a 5th grade history class.
:plain:

Now, when it says "provide for the common defense," does that not allude to a standard army and military force? Yes. It does.
Later addressed with specificity by Amendment, sure. The one I set out in full.

Does any portion of this document infer that once this military is established, any preconceived rights assured to the people are obsolete? No it does not.
A preamble isn't an establishment of right. It's a declaration of intent, a mission statement. What follows, the actual Constitution, establishes right. And so the amendment that, reasons notwithstanding, protects and legally establishes the right, which I am not and have never been opposed to.

Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
That's the ticket. We didn't have a standing army, unlike the nations that could threaten our security as a union, loose as that union was initially and comparatively. So we had to rely on a militia. That militia was necessary and the people who comprised it must then necessarily have weapons and the right to them protected. Basic social contract. Good notion.

I also think there were other good reasons for protecting the right to bear arms. I'm sure those were understood in the time as well, but given the overwhelming need and good served by the first they weren't needed. Literally.

A well regulated Militia is formed by the people, not the government.
In our compact we, the people, are that government.

Also, notice the comma after "State?" It doesn't say the Militia has the right to bear arms, does it? It says "the right of the people." That comma is what destroys your argument that the second amendment is about forming an army, contingent upon a military formation, etc.
Had the Founders merely wanted to promote the right to bear arms among its people no mention of the militia would have been necessary. That they began with that very consideration is indicative of their intent. That said, again, I think they were aware of other pragmatic reasons, reasons I support to this day, but the one given was sufficient for the day.

Well, let us see what the Founders have to say about that...Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824: The Constitution of most of our stated (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
And he was right. For a number of reasons. The argument here is not and never has been the abolition of the right to bear arms.

So, can we conclude that your assertions regarding the second amendment as solely a precursor (now obsolete) to formation of a military force is a falsehood?
Only if you're royalty or simply in the habit of pluralizing yourself. No, you may not. I note again that I in no part advance nor is the issue enjoined here a fight over whether or not we have a right to bear arms. And I absolutely reject your notion that you establish in your quotes a thing that contradicts the larger reason advanced for the right (even as I hold there are other valid reason owing no part to either militia).

Well, history disagrees with you.
It does not. Now let's get to why. I specifically noted that my consideration was among Western democracies and how the more restrictive regulation of weapons has not carried with it an infringement upon liberty or principles dear to it, not led to the sort of tyranny in need of an armed uprising or one reasonably giving rise to paranoid hypotheticals. So dragging in the Soviets makes no sense as a rebuttal. Neither does China. Germany's republic was undone by its own people, willfully. If any populace reaches the point where it overwhelmingly believes a thing the minority will have to move or fight, and likely lose in the latter effort. The confluence of historic forces that made Hitler's Germany is rare, singular among modern efforts at democracy. The outlier and not the rule and one relying on that improbable confluence.

Germany: established gun control laws in 1938. From 1948 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others exterminated. Once again, no guns to protect themselves or form a militia.
Germany actually only established (or, more accurately attempted to establish) those laws among a single class of its citizens, the Jew. And that was largely a failure, but it didn't matter given the might of its army and the popular will. This is no study in what followed from strong, universal gun law among Western democracies.

If you want to examine that you only have to train your eyes on them to find they retain their governments and freedoms while divesting themselves of the level of violence and death that accompany our own misguided celebration.

In summary, knives are used to take more lives and injure than rifles.
I'd agree that if for no apparent reason other than to serve your ends we agreed to focus on all knives as an instrument of violence when compared to one class of guns, knives would win that peculiarly narrowed race.

Your claims and argument that the second amendment "reads," "says," "was used for," etc solely for the purpose, and as a precursor that is no longer necessary, to form a military force is a falsehood.
And, again, that is not and has not been my view any more than my aim is to eliminate the right. In fact and at nearly every point I have advanced that the right was an extension of any number of pragmatic understandings, but that (and lately in our particular discourse) having hung its necessity on an overriding and compelling necessity no other was needed at the time of its writing. It should have been amended long before now to include a larger consideration.

This is evidenced by the documents of the Founding Fathers, basic grammar and vocabulary, history, and context.
Rather, your cherry picked sampling of less than a handful of Founders, most of whom I fully agreed with, neither breaks my part in advance nor requires any alteration of the arguments I've presented for the actual point here, or what was supposed to be the point of the conversation, the argument for restricting certain guns from entry into the stream of commerce without the abolition of the right to bear arms.

You can continue this preference for falsehood, but that would render you willfully ignorant.
And that's nonsense prima facie, as I cannot hold both the knowing advance of a falsity and be ignorant of the same. That's always been a lazy, irrational bit of rhetoric. Pick an insult.

You could still effectively argue for gun regulation and restrictions, however, to rely on your present argument of the context of the second amendment would be illogical and irrational.
No part of my argument has or presently does rely on our side-bar on the 2nd Amendment, which I favor as a gun owner.

Off topic, somewhat....
I am a qualified marksman, life long gun owner (not a hunter or fisherman), and never been fired upon. I have a concealed-carry permit. I own guns that cause more damage than an AR-15.
Sorry to hear it, though you're likely responsible with them. I say sorry to hear it because that indulgence, a needless one, is the premise for a great deal of equally needless harm.

My sister was in ROTC. She owns a gun. She is a qualified marksman. She can't tell you crap about guns or their mechanics.
Sorry to hear that as well. I've rarely met anyone who was skilled in the use of a gun who couldn't also break that gun into parts for proper cleaning and I wonder at how long or what sort of ROTC program she was involved with? Smacks of high school, perhaps. That would explain it.

You are trying to make an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).
No, I would be making an argument from authority had I advanced my qualifications and said that because of them my position on a particular (outside of an understanding or point directly tied to any or all of them) must be true.

Now here's what actually happened. You said that my remarks demonstrated "an ignorance of firearms". Responding that I am a life long hunter, possessing a qualified skill in their use, among other notes, is a clear rebuttal on the general point you make in your mistaken assumption.
I'll try to get back to some of the earlier I didn't have time to address prior as time permits. :e4e:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Picking up....I'd written, "Absent speed loaders a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous, except in terms of concealment, than a double barrel shotgun."

Take for example the Judge handgun. It fires six .45 loads, or .410 loads. Six "shotgun" loads is much more dangerous than a double barrel shotgun. A double-barrel shotgun, or any single shot weapon for that matter, usually has limits (excluding those with clip/magazine capabilities) the number of rounds to around 6 or 7. There are revolvers with up to 10 rounds. My point is that number does determine effectiveness, as does the size of the caliber the weapon uses.

So, you are wrong on this point. Do you see how?
What I see is a disconcerting habit of assuming or not fully contextualizing on your part. For instance, you choose a 45 and assume what caliber of shotgun? At what distance? With what skill, etc? In general, a shotgun is more deadly for any practical use. You want home defense, I'll take my double barrel 20 gauge indoors over any handgun. And I'm skilled with a handgun. Most people, criminal or not, aren't particularly proficient in the use of their weapon in the best of circumstances, let alone in a situation involving adrenaline and fear.

Beyond that, I've considered six shot revolvers. I wouldn't consider much if anything beyond that, if that.

Wrong. Let us examine some weapons that were utilized in those days, which the Founders would have had knowledge of.
Rather, let us consider the guns that were largely on hand and therefore likely to be used by any militiaman. The ones we have at hand that meet my support are superior. Especially a bolt action rifle.

The Belton flintlock, Girandoni air rifle, puckle gun, pepper-box revolvers, volley gun, etc. All of these weapons fire more than one or two rounds per second. So, to also rely on an ideology of the Founders having solely hunting rifles, or frontier rifles in mind is simply ignorant.
The Girandoni shot by use of an air reservoir with diminishing returns, though it was the closest thing to a repeating rifle that could be found. Even so you had to raise the weapon up to load the second round and there's no way to accomplish that and fire two rounds per second before we get to the decrease in velocity with each reloading until the chamber is exhausted. The Belton wasn't made until 1777 and was rejected by us and then the Brits. He claimed it could be done in as much as eight or as little as three seconds. It's not backed by much empirically speaking. So no. The puckle gun was designed to sit mounted as a means to repel ship boarding and has no practical claim here and I think only a couple were even made. One of two we know were actually constructed fired 9 rounds in a minute. The average musket could fire 2 to 5 per minute. And so on...

As for the arming of the people being the purpose of defense against invader, this is disproved by a simple quote from Jefferson: "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.”
Well, no. I noted that the right had a context and purpose. That context was centered on the preservation of the fre State. The threat to that was from foreign powers. But really man, pick an object. You only just said you weren't talking about the tyranny of our own government and now you speak to Jefferson's fear of the fear of just that.

At any rate, given none of this serves the thing we were supposed to seriously discuss I'm not sure getting bogged down in an argument over it manages to accomplish much that is productive.

TH, this continued insistence that once a standing army was achieved, then the militia and arming of the people became obsolete.
Not really a part of my argument at any point. Noting that the service was accomplished on this one if central aim and that many of the unvoiced but pragmatic arguments for the right is not and has not been advanced by me to deny the right itself, which isn't at issue here.

I know it is an old, and overused argument, but it is relevant: Heroin, cocaine, etc are illegal. Yet, people still have access to them. Has this supply not been impacted?
And yet where the measures I support are in play deaths and violence by gun are appreciably lower than where they are not.

To make something illegal does not negate it as viable.Murder is illegal. Yet, murders occur everyday. Speeding is illegal. Yet speeding occurs millions, if not billions, of times a day. Laws only affect those who abide by them.
If laws had no impact there would be no laws. Laws impact on two fronts. First, their consequence deters the reasonable man in his pursuit of any particular desire. Illustration of this is in the notable decrease in loss of life following the lowering of speed limits and the insistence of seatbelt use in cars. Does it stop every? Of course not. Does it work a good? Of course it does. Second, laws which prohibit the manufacturing, distribution and sale of particular things will necessarily impact the distribution and sale of those things. The fewer of them the less damage is likely by them (see: every other Western democracy with universal and tougher gun law). As even those who oppose my measures note, it's a logical necessity. Water is wet. Even those who don't want to bathe can recognize the empirical truth of the proposition.

What is the average response time of a police force to a home invasion? Or how about to a public murder, such as any mass shooting?
If you find it insufficient argue for increasing the numbers of police or proximity to the citizenry.

An individual with a gun can, and more often than mass shootings, does stop extensive loss of life. Exponentially in fact.
Citation to authority? In any event, what I have cited to and noted is that the banning of these weapons leads to an easily observable distinction when it comes to gun violence, deaths, and mass murders.

But statistics demonstrate that we have more guns in the hands of civilians than ever before; yet crime statistics do not show an increase in mass shootings. The correlation that such an argument as yours suggests just does not exist.
Rather, it may evidence any number of things, from a saturation point past which additional weapons have an increasingly marginal impact. It may reflect a decrease in a given population prone to using those weapons violently. Any number of things really. And so we have more guns per individual than any nation on earth and lead the world in gun violence and mass murder. This rather demolishes the argument that safety is found in the possession of more guns. Coupled with the statistics from our cousins the rational course is clear.

If I am wrong, please, post some stats from a reliable source.
I've posted a great many. You'll have to go back along the discourse here. I've noted the disparate impact in terms of other countries and even within our borders and placed links.

Where is this statistic? Sweden shows the best stats, yet they have nearly every citizen armed.
Not really. At least not in the sense that we are. I've noted Sweden, which has dramatically more gun control than we do here. You have to take and pass a serious test first after a year long course. You can't own more than six guns without special permission. You have to store them in a safe and transportation of them is regulated as well. You can't own guns if you're a felon, convicted of domestic violence, or driving under the influence. You can't own a fully automatic weapon and the chances of your getting a license for a semi-automatic aren't great.

The UK saw an increase in crime with gun restrictive laws introduced. This is evident across Europe. This claim of the US being the least safe is always stated, but never factually evident.
Google deaths per 100k by guns and see what you come up with.

Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (link)

Look at the US from 1990-2015 and an average of 4.2 deaths per 100k
Now look at Europe. You'll see a near uniform 1 and under.

In summation; The Second Amendment was not written as a precursor to a standard military.
Right. The right was established in the absence of a standing army to safeguard our legal ability to raise one from our ranks (among other, unvoiced but I think important considerations that really should have been written in, but understandably weren't given the right to one protected the right to others). There wasn't a sufficient vision of our nation as a more unified and federally controlled institution to envision the standing army and degree of federal development and control that would come later.

It was written to assure citizens the right to self-defense from internal (domestic, such as the US government) and external (such as invading forces) threats.
It doesn't say that. In fact, it states its purpose as securing a free State, not a free individual. Of course, in our republic the State is a collection of free and entitled individuals. So that's a win/win.

The Second Amendment is not written with musket mentality, as evidenced by the various types of "high-capacity" firearms that were available, and used, at the time of the Bill of Rights' drafting. Thus, any argument that such closed mentality was present is false.
First, that's nonsense and I addressed it prior. But what I have said is that the weapons the Founders found sufficient were if anything less capable than the weapons I support.

Guns, and their respective laws/regulations as they currently exist, are not directly correlational to gun crime/mass shootings.
In point of fact, where gun laws are more strict in our own states the deaths per 100k of citizens is markedly better and compared to every other Western industrialized democracy with universal and stronger gun laws that undeniable fact becomes more dramatically evidenced.

You are certainly free to view it as a coincidence of staggering dimensions.

Lastly, your prescribed regulations and restrictions target only guns
Rather, they target only some types of guns. The guns used successfully to murder scores of children in minutes. Yes. That's right.

ignoring evidence that more people are harmed by knives
Raising an issue isn't a de facto ignoring of other issues. Just so, I can speak about cancer without "ignoring" heart disease. And knives are a much more complicated issue. But if you want to outlaw those particularly aimed at killing other human beings and can demonstrate that from the larger group they stand out it's a discussion to be had, though the considerations and limitations of effectiveness will be a different animal.

Unless you prescribe similar restrictions on knives, then you argument falls to hypocrisy.
Rebutted prior. It doesn't at all follow.

Last edited:

jsanford108

I really appreciate and enjoyed your last response (I think it was your best one thus far) I will try and compose my response either tomorrow or Monday. Prior engagements prevent a proper rebuttal.

I wanted to wait until you had fully replied to respond, just because I was afraid of forming two different conversations by our dual reply method.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe the discussion has begun to repeat itself, but I've been using this conversation as a teaching aid so I'm still discussing it.

One can go through the details below if they want, but I think I summarize it fairly here:

TH is making the claim that we can save lives if semi-autos were removed from society. That seems logical because one cannot shoot as fast with single-shot guns.

We both agree the gun violence rate would go down if semi-autos are removed from society.

But I submit the solution TH proposes would result in more death over time. This would be for a few reasons. One of them would be because semi-autos would not be removed from society, but anyone that needed a gun for their job would still have them. They would need them because single-shot guns do not work as well or as easily for people that need them for their job. And all the guns used on a job are mostly used to defend people.

But this would also be true for people that defend themselves and their families, but not professionally. Thus, in the end, more people would die in the same way that crippling people that defend people for a living would result in more death.

Mass murderers would have a more target environments because suddenly most of the country would become a gun-free zone, which has been proven they prefer.

Mass murderers will also have not only have more gun free zones, but criminals will have a new advantage over people that follow the law.

Then there are other problems that arise from the government given the power to take people's guns. For some reason, governments that turn tyrannical don't like citizens having guns even though one might expect it would make no difference to the overwhelming power of the police and army. Of course tyrannies don't start with civil war, but with small things like the tax enforcement arm of a government targeting people based on their politics (something that already took place in America and no one was indicted for).

If TH thinks I haven't summarized his position and my objections fairly he can correct it.

I think the only fair thing is to purchase them at market value or provide a tax break in the same amount for every gun surrendered in compliance with the law.
Okay. So if legislation were passed to confiscate without compensation, would you say flawed legislation is worth it to save lives or that a tyrannical move like that would cost more lives in the future?

Yorzhik said:
So you'll agree that if we find out that most people with a post graduate degree believe in government intervention in the economy on the scale we see today, or more, that we could consider them to have a lack of virtue and wisdom?
Town Heretic said:
No. I was just curious as to why you thought that and if there was any actual support for it empirically.
Sorry; I missed it.

Yorzhik said:
But answering "no" is plenty good enough. It shows a lack of virtue and wisdom by you at least, if not academics, since the economic ideas of Keynes are particularly lacking in wisdom and virtue and have been shown to be so, exhaustively, for a long time.
Town Heretic said:
All that actually demonstrates is your habit of confusing your bias and declaration with empirical truth, which I think was already established, but thanks for the doubling down
I think it means I sometimes miss a single word answer that precedes a sentence outside of its context. I should have caught it and it was my mistake.

Don't you agree that Keynesian ideas have been thoroughly debunked?

Yorzhik said:
This doesn't mean your idea of reducing all not-for-a-job-guns to single shot types is a bad one.
Town Heretic said:
It also doesn't mean that a ribeye is a sort of fish byproduct.
I didn't write nonsense like you did. I was engaging you in a civil manner which includes explaining when a point is made what the context of the point was so as to be clear.

Yorzhik said:
Just that we can't take your ideas at face value being based on wisdom and virtue.
Town Heretic said:
That's just gibberish dressed up in grammatically self-serving robes.
It means that since we've established you promote ideas that lack wisdom and virtue, that we have to be suspect of the other ideas you promote. It's common sense.

Yorzhik said:
You underestimate murderer Cruz. If he had used breech loaders to kill just 5 or 10, you would now be calling for a new ban.
Town Heretic said:
Complete nonsense disconnected from any realistic hypothetical not involving paraplegics. And no. I believe that the weapons I've noted are necessary for the right to meaningfully exist.
Don't you realize that if all guns were banned, even single shot ones, there would be even *less* gun violence than just banning semi-autos? If your argument isn't based on reducing gun violence, then what is based on?

Yorzhik said:
And yet, murdering with guns still wouldn't stop like it doesn't in countries with stronger gun restriction
Town Heretic said:
No one is suggesting that murder by gun would cease to be. Only that where you see those laws and restrictions you see a commiserate and dramatic reduction in them.
And since violence and homicide rates will swallow any measure of decline in gun violence and homicide rates, it makes your ban/restriction only a step in the march to do something more about gun violence and homicide.

A better idea would be to save more lives by getting at the root of the problem. Stop people from wanting to murder instead of trying to make it so they cannot murder. Get rid of black markets, make it easy for families to stay together, and change laws so that gang membership is less appealing.

The blame for what happened in Florida is found in the individual who committed the act and those who facilitated it, the designer, manufacturer, and sellers of weapons whose singular distinction is the destruction of a large number of people or things in a very short order. It's an access, design, and people problem.
The gun makers didn't facilitate the murders, they would have helped stop them if the policeman that had them had gone in to stop Cruz. The destructiveness of guns is one of their redeeming qualities.

It's the reason why places where gun ownership rates are high the gun violence is low. More logically, guns facilitate less murder.

And it's not a problem born of my perception. It's an empirically verifiable fact. Seventeen examples recently found in Florida.
You perceive that places where gun ownership rates are high and gun violence is low, that their guns must be taken from them as a solution to the problem of violence and murder in places were gun ownership rates are low that have high rates of violence and murder... your perceptions are as faulty as your logic.

Yeah, he and you are both wrong on that. Without serious muscle memory training you're more likely to spray innocent bystanders than to use the extra firepower effectively. And if you're in the throes of an adrenaline fueled response then you're better off with a shotgun. Depending on the shot you use you're more likely to actually stop someone within a reasonable distance from you.
If that were true, then places with high gun ownership rates would have more gun death than places with low gun ownership rates.

And, also, it if it were true that "Without serious muscle memory training you're more likely to spray innocent bystanders than to use the extra firepower effectively" (emphasis mine) then we'd have a more innocent bystanders shot than attackers when someone uses a gun to defend themselves. We know how many innocent bystanders are shot when someone attempts to defend themselves with a gun. It's not "most likely". You're just plain wrong.

And, no doubt, a shotgun is the best weapon for home defense. One that loads more rounds the better (easier to train with, too). How many shotguns have been used in mass shootings? If it's near zero, shouldn't they be allowed under your proposal?

But after the shotgun, the rifle or pistol is not too bad for self defense. And, for the same reasons as with the shotgun, a multi-shot gun is better and easier to train with than a breech-loader.

Since you haven't established the peculiar argument that the people killed by mass shooting would be killed by some other means, that's a lot of wasted verbiage.
It is established by all the world where guns are restricted/banned and they still have a lot of mass killings.

Yorzhik said:
There is literally no one on this thread that has engaged substantially with your proposal that hasn't admitted an impact. "In other news, water is wet."
Town Heretic said:
It's the degree of impact that makes it meaningful or a rhetorical trick.
And since you've admitted that we cannot measure the impact:
"mass shootings, horrific as they are, aren't anything like the rule, so they won't dramatically impact the overall arc of violence in this or any nation."

In fact, there is no measurable impact on the overall arc of violence. Thus, your proposal is a rhetorical trick.

No, I haven't "admitted" that.
As noted just above, you have admitted that.

What I've noted, repeatedly and with links to data in support, is that every Western democracy with strong gun laws has significantly lower numbers of mass shootings and gun violence, and that even in a lesser light, our states with the strongest gun laws have the lowest per 100k deaths by firearms, while the states with the weakest laws have the highest number of deaths by firearms per 100k and that the distinctions in averages even there are significant.
And, as you've ignored, inside those same states the lowest rates of violence are where there are the highest rates of gun ownership. And visa versa, the high gun violence rates are focused in places where gun ownership rates are low. And beyond that, somehow, even though driving guns across state lines is easy to do, the non-universality of guns laws from state to still results in differing rates... why doesn't that apply inside of states?

Yorzhik said:
I have no problem with considering or using emotional arguments.
Town Heretic said:
I'm not sure you do. You seem to think the reason I don't like your emotional arguments is because it is emotional. But that's not the case. The reason your emotional argument is bad is because that is what you base your sweeping proposal on, sans science, sans historical example, sans common sense, and sans God's opinion.

Yorzhik said:
What I'm saying is that your foundation is based entirely on emotion
Town Heretic said:
You can say cheese is a mineral too. Same foundation in fact and reason.
As demonstrated, your proposal is pure rhetoric.

Focusing on gun violence isn't making an emotional argument. It's simply focusing on something we can impact that impacts us needlessly and negatively.
Focusing on gun violence to the exclusion of violence using other tools is entirely emotional. Precisely because people use the exact same tool to defend themselves. And measuring any effect of confiscating everyone's guns on overall violence is, as you admit, not possible.

No. I never have. What I've noted is that where you have concentrations of poor you have a great deal more criminal enterprise and violence.
And since we know the reason why this is true, it also tells us how to impact violence overall instead of taking people's guns when they are using those guns to stop violence.

At least you should understand that because of the poor/violence connection... it's not the guns.

Actually, the law defines what is permissible and does define the distinction between manslaughter, murder, and self-defense.
What the authorities enforce defines what is permissible. But what they enforce is sometimes not the law, and sometimes they don't enforce what is in the law books. But that has little to do with what rights are. The founders do not grant your right to self defense.

Yorzhik said:
The difference between being able to shoot only once per reload or more per reload is huge. You don't think it's a big difference in terms of defending one's self?
Town Heretic said:
I know that if you have a shotgun and you don't believe you can defend yourself with it you're not really going to defend yourself with anything else.
So you buy a shotgun you don't think you can use? Who does that? And who can't learn to use a shotgun? And wouldn't that necessitate one use something else for self defense? And what does any of this have to do with the difference between a multi-load and single-shot guns?

You're only going to have a false sense of security until your deficiency on the point is illustrated in the dead of night, etc.
I doubt people that buy a shotgun they don't think they can use will give those people a false sense of security.

There's no real meaning to "better" if you can defend yourself.
Or, ask yourself this question - shouldn't you say to Rosa Parks that there is no meaning to "better" if you can still ride the bus?

Or, if you don't like that question, ask yourself why are there no home-defense trainers that advocate a single-shot weapon?

You're creating an artificial scale to attempt to out point what reason won't allow. If you can protect yourself with the weapons I noted, which are clearly superior to the weapons the framers of the right considered sufficient, then anything beyond that is needless and in light of the verificable cost and danger, worse.
You cannot protect yourself as well with a single-shot gun. The Founders would recognize that a multi-shot gun is better and easier to defend yourself with than a single-shot one.

Yorzhik said:
And confiscating the weapons you propose will make no difference to the murder rate
Town Heretic said:
Of course it will. You even said so when you "admitted" that taking weapons out of circulation has to have an impact. Water is wet. Or were you just blowing smoke through that water?
I can't believe you missed that. Confiscating guns will have an impact on the gun murder rate, but not the murder rate.

Or, rather, I think you didn't miss anything and this seemed like a great rhetorical point for you.

Yorzhik said:
what principle are you talking about here that mocks reason?
Town Heretic said:
Your belief that you should have a right to the weapons I'm speaking against.
That's my belief. What principle are you talking about?

How many people are robbed or shot in a tank in this country each year?
My point exactly. They could be legal to own and no one would care.

No, the problem is that you don't understand what I'm saying. Every right is subject to restriction. Your example isn't a right. The law recognizes distinctions rooted in our action, to side bar a moment. That is, we distinguish shooting a burglar from shooting someone who merely annoys you. And we distinguish, mitigate, an abrogation of law for a purpose sufficient to justify it. A very different animal.
I get what you are saying. You don't get what I'm saying. The evidence is strongest that the line where reality currently sits is pretty close to the right line. In fact, it seems we could open what is legally permissible even more than it is today and the rate of violence would continue to go down.

The line you draw is clearly incorrect. It will cause more death and violence. A better idea is to not worry about the guns and worry about people's lives instead.

Yorzhik said:
Of course bad law creates criminals.
Town Heretic said:
Rather, willful actions create criminal activity. The rest is argument and mitigation.
No. The midwives of Egypt in Genesis were criminals because of the law. Bad laws make criminals.

People agree it's okay to kill the unborn for much the same reason you favor weapons that we both know make mass murder more likely, most people are motivated by the perception of their own self-interest. We're a selfish culture as often as not, for all our altruism.
Wanting to be able to defend one's self is not selfishness. It's actually something we prefer to avoid having to do if it isn't necessary.

Rather, what you call consequences of child labor laws are actually the consequences of the acts of those responsible for harming children, not the laws.
It's the laws. As Krugman showed, it's not the parents that change, it's the laws.

You have to believe that parents don't care about their children to think it's not the laws.

Then popular thinking is in need of factual understanding.

Courts are involved when anyone files a complaint for anything. Then almost entirely the mother and father work out between them any number of things, including child custody. It isn't unusual for the Court's involvement to be limited to a smattering of property or alimony considerations, if that.
Huh... you make it sound as if the reason fathers prefer to give custody to mothers and then pay child support to children they don't raise is because that's what they want. I'm sure men like that exist, but I doubt they are 70% - 80% of the divorced population.

Still, we can't get to the truth of the matter if you don't provide your data. Where is your data? A link will do.

Declarative nonsense unsupported by reason. I omitted the earlier efforts. This is the boilerplate response to your boilerplate advance.
Since I've provided the science, historical examples, common sense, and God's opinion -all of which you ignore - I'm sure we can understand why you see what I say as declarative nonsense. It appears you have an index card of allowable opinion - something elitists have to have by definition.

I'm omitting the paranoid fantasy bit. Just not interested for the reasons offered prior.

Which has nothing to do with my proffer and everything to do with the paranoid fantasy bit.

None of the western democracies I noted have had these protections in place for some time have done anything of the sort.
The only reasons you've offered is that it could never happen here. You ignore historical examples, current examples, and human nature as to why we should have caution.

Yorzhik said:
Your ideas are irreversible
Town Heretic said:
Not if you understand how the Constitution works.
“Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.” Milton Friedman

Seriously, there have been a number of gun bans and they've never been reversed short of changing the government.

The life where I gave up a partnership offer to be a poverty lawyer or a public education teacher?
No, the life where you ignore arguments from the other side.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TH is making the claim that we can save lives if semi-autos were removed from society. That seems logical because one cannot shoot as fast with single-shot guns. We both agree the gun violence rate would go down if semi-autos are removed from society.
:thumb:

But I submit the solution TH proposes would result in more death over time.
And I note your speculation is countered by observation of what has happened, now over a good bit of time, in the many Western models we have and to a lesser extent in states within our nation that simply tighten laws short of taking those guns out of circulation AND while often being surrounded by states with even weaker laws.

This would be for a few reasons. One of them would be because semi-autos would not be removed from society, but anyone that needed a gun for their job would still have them.
That would be police and soldiers. Not a lot of those gunning down kids in school yards.

And all the guns used on a job are mostly used to defend people.
They're used to kill or subdue with police and to kill short of surrender by the military. So mostly killing then.

But this would also be true for people that defend themselves and their families, but not professionally. Thus, in the end, more people would die in the same way that crippling people that defend people for a living would result in more death.
Well, no, which is why in the numerous models we have on hand among most Western industrial equals and democracies, where only the police and military legally possess those weapons, your scenario isn't playing out and mine is. More people aren't dying by guns there, fewer are.

Mass murderers would have a more target environments because suddenly most of the country would become a gun-free zone, which has been proven they prefer.
I have not at any point proposed a gun free zone.

Then there are other problems that arise from the government given the power to take people's guns.
Except it already does (see: convicted felons, children) and we are the government.

For some reason, governments that turn tyrannical don't like citizens having guns even though one might expect it would make no difference to the overwhelming power of the police and army.
Which governments would those be?

Of course tyrannies don't start with civil war, but with small things like the tax enforcement arm of a government targeting people based on their politics (something that already took place in America and no one was indicted for).
Feel free to note those countries again and how they began that way.

If TH thinks I haven't summarized his position and my objections fairly he can correct it.
Supra. You missed the mark past your opening.

I'm going to pass on most of what follows as it's old ground previously answered.

Okay. So if legislation were passed to confiscate without compensation, would you say flawed legislation is worth it to save lives or that a tyrannical move like that would cost more lives in the future
?
I also never proposed a lack of compensation. In fact, I've said it would be wrong not to compensate people for turning over their property in accord with the law.

Don't you agree that Keynesian ideas have been thoroughly debunked?
No, but I understand there are strong arguments against it. Not really my area of particular expertise or interest.

Don't you realize that if all guns were banned, even single shot ones, there would be even *less* gun violence than just banning semi-autos?
Of course I do, but I believe in the right. This is about what constitutes a reasonable exercise.

If your argument isn't based on reducing gun violence, then what is based on?
That's...dispiriting given I was clear from the outset. The argument is against guns of a particular sort, the elimination of which would promote greater security and peace within our compact without negating a right I find valuable for a number of reasons. I mean to seriously impact mass shootings, however "statistically insignificant" you find them. I told you all of this long ago.

And since violence and homicide rates will swallow any measure of decline in gun violence and homicide rates, it makes your ban/restriction only a step in the march to do something more about gun violence and homicide.
Well, no. None of that is true, either inherently or by observation of available data.

A better idea would be to save more lives by getting at the root of the problem. Stop people from wanting to murder instead of trying to make it so they cannot murder. Get rid of black markets, make it easy for families to stay together, and change laws so that gang membership is less appealing.
We've been combating all those things for generations, with all sorts of ideas. They persist, but we'll keep trying. In the meantime what I'm proposing works, will demonstrably save lives, and doesn't require us overcoming human nature expressed across the entirety of its existence.

It's the reason why places where gun ownership rates are high the gun violence is low.
This isn't and never has been about gun ownership, but about the types of guns and what they accomplish. Look at states with the toughest gun laws and they have the fewest deaths and injuries by them. Conversely, those with the weakest gun laws have the highest. And I've already noted our insufficiency among nations.

More logically, guns facilitate less murder.
:plain: Were that the case we'd be the safest country on earth instead of the least among equals.

Murders (all, not just gun deaths) per 100k:

U.S. 4.88
Denmark .99
Finland 1.6
Sweden 1.15
UK .92
Greece .85
Italy .78
Portugal .97
Spain .66
Austria .51
Belgium 1.95
France 1.58
Germany .85

Most of those are 2014 and 2015 numbers according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

"mass shootings, horrific as they are, aren't anything like the rule, so they won't dramatically impact the overall arc of violence in this or any nation."
Right. You can empty buckets of blood into a river without altering its flow. It doesn't follow that those avoidable buckets belong in the river or that you should want them there.

In fact, there is no measurable impact on the overall arc of violence. Thus, your proposal is a rhetorical trick.
There is a measurable impact. Anything that can be counted can be measured and any measurement, incremental or not, impacts by necessity.

Focusing on gun violence to the exclusion of violence using other tools is entirely emotional.
:plain: Eating cheese instead of cheese and bread is an appeal to emotion then...same sort of argument.

Or, ask yourself this question - shouldn't you say to Rosa Parks that there is no meaning to "better" if you can still ride the bus?
Just to humor the effort, Rosa was looking for equality, which would be the case in my proposal. There's just no analogy that's rational beyond that point.

Or, if you don't like that question, ask yourself why are there no home-defense trainers that advocate a single-shot weapon?
Well, it was a horrible, horrible question but this one is a little better. Who certifies a "home-defense trainer" and how do you know that none of whoever those however certified people would advocate?

You cannot protect yourself as well with a single-shot gun.
Either you're protected or you are not. "As well" is an invention, an attempt to create something meaningful to hang your hat on.

From Shooting Illustrated, Tips for Using a Double Barrel Shotgun for Home Defense, March 6, 2017:

"The final and biggest advantage is the reason professional hunters in Africa most often use double guns for following up wounded game: The two shots from a double barrel are the fastest and most guaranteed two shots of any gun. Unless a trigger spring breaks or the shell is a dud—both ridiculously rare occurrences—the shooter is virtually guaranteed two shots as quick as he can pull the trigger. Semi-autos can jam and pumps require a half-second. When a leopard or a bad guy charges at breath-smelling distances, this fact is significant."

Huh... you make it sound as if the reason fathers prefer to give custody to mothers and then pay child support to children they don't raise is because that's what they want. I'm sure men like that exist, but I doubt they are 70% - 80% of the divorced population.
Child support is owed by every parent. The non-custodial parent pays to the custodial parent to assist them in the expenses they will pay to maintain the child or children. Everyone supports the child relative to their income level. And facts are facts, that's how it works. Fathers overwhelmingly agree to leave the child in the care of the mother and do so voluntarily. All but a small minority of custody arrangements are decided between parties and not as the result of a court system imposing its will.

So you just can't blame the system, much as you want to. Blame the parents, if you feel you have to, silly as that is. And for generations most of the people claiming God dictated and common sense illustrated believed in a Tender Years presumption in favor of the mother. That was a silly assumption, sincere as it is. Yours is no better for reversing the same sort of certainty.

Still, we can't get to the truth of the matter if you don't provide your data. Where is your data? A link will do.
I'm pretty sure I did that prior. Go back to where you first raised the point.

According to DivorcePeers.com, the majority of child custody cases are not decided by the courts.

• In 51 percent of custody cases, both parents agreed — on their own — that mom become the custodial parent.

• Only 4 percent of custody cases went to trial and of that 4 percent, only 1.5 percent completed custody litigation. (link)

There's Pew data on it as well. So a majority simply come to terms and decide that's best for the kids at the outset. Almost all of the rest come to the same decision as things progress through negotiation of particulars as a part of the pretrial period. Almost none of them are the result of direct court decisions.
- I'm sure we can understand why you see what I say as declarative nonsense. It appears you have an index card of allowable opinion - something elitists have to have by definition.
And again, given how superior you obviously believe your opinion to be compared to those you dub elitists, well, you either get why that's funny or you don't.

Last edited:

jsanford108

And that's nonsense prima facie, as I cannot hold both the knowing advance of a falsity and be ignorant of the same. That's always been a lazy, irrational bit of rhetoric. Pick an insult.
First off, I have only once attacked your character through insulting remarks. It was the 5th grade comment. That is the only time. I did that for two reasons: 1.) It was true; I recroded those notes from my (liberal) fifth grade teacher. 2.) To demonstrate what an "insult" is.

Classifying something as ignorant or a falsehood is not insulting. At no point have I attacked your intellect. I hope I have made that clear.

To begin, here is my quote: "Your claims and argument that the second amendment "reads," "says," "was used for," etc solely for the purpose, and as a precursor that is no longer necessary, to form a military force is a falsehood."

Your response:
And, again, that is not and has not been my view any more than my aim is to eliminate the right. In fact and at nearly every point I have advanced that the right was an extension of any number of pragmatic understandings, but that (and lately in our particular discourse) having hung its necessity on an overriding and compelling necessity no other was needed at the time of its writing. It should have been amended long before now to include a larger consideration.
I think that I have utilized poor choice of vocabulary. Perhaps the more adequate analysis would be that you set up your argument, using second amendment being solely for the obsolete precursor for a standing military force, as a background noise as means of supporting your argument.

I would say that this is a much more suitable analysis. My apologies for poor phrasing before. I, too, have utilized historical context (more accurately) as the background noise for my own argument. I would even posit that the genesis of such background noise was my own leading argument, by stating that my position is the same as the Founders. While this disagreement is rooted in history, I would say that it should not bear upon the legislation that we are intending to discuss. I think it would be productive if we left historical analysis behind in order to focus on present issues.

If I need to demonstrate my analysis, here is my evidence:
That's the ticket. We didn't have a standing army, unlike the nations that could threaten our security as a union, loose as that union was initially and comparatively. So we had to rely on a militia. That militia was necessary and the people who comprised it must then necessarily have weapons and the right to them protected. Basic social contract. Good notion.

I also think there were other good reasons for protecting the right to bear arms. I'm sure those were understood in the time as well, but given the overwhelming need and good served by the first they weren't needed. Literally.

Had the Founders merely wanted to promote the right to bear arms among its people no mention of the militia would have been necessary. That they began with that very consideration is indicative of their intent. That said, again, I think they were aware of other pragmatic reasons, reasons I support to this day, but the one given was sufficient for the day.

(even as I hold there are other valid reason owing no part to either militia).

Well, no. I noted that the right had a context and purpose. That context was centered on the preservation of the fre State. The threat to that was from foreign powers. But really man, pick an object. You only just said you weren't talking about the tyranny of our own government and now you speak to Jefferson's fear of the fear of just that.
Right. The right was established in the absence of a standing army to safeguard our legal ability to raise one from our ranks (among other, unvoiced but I think important considerations that really should have been written in, but understandably weren't given the right to one protected the right to others). There wasn't a sufficient vision of our nation as a more unified and federally controlled institution to envision the standing army and degree of federal development and control that would come later.

On to modern day....
...the arguments I've presented for the actual point here, or what was supposed to be the point of the conversation, the argument for restricting certain guns from entry into the stream of commerce without the abolition of the right to bear arms.
Glad we agree.

Sorry to hear it, though you're likely responsible with them. I say sorry to hear it because that indulgence, a needless one, is the premise for a great deal of equally needless harm.

Sorry to hear that as well. I've rarely met anyone who was skilled in the use of a gun who couldn't also break that gun into parts for proper cleaning and I wonder at how long or what sort of ROTC program she was involved with? Smacks of high school, perhaps. That would explain it.

No, I would be making an argument from authority had I advanced my qualifications and said that because of them my position on a particular (outside of an understanding or point directly tied to any or all of them) must be true.

Now here's what actually happened. You said that my remarks demonstrated "an ignorance of firearms". Responding that I am a life long hunter, possessing a qualified skill in their use, among other notes, is a clear rebuttal on the general point you make in your mistaken assumption.
Here you make two assumptions. The first is the ideological fallacy relating to my owning of weapons more volatile than an AR-15. You classify my indulgence as a needless one, and as a premise for a great deal of equally needless harm.

I am of no threat to a law-abiding citizen, in any capacity, by owning firearms of higher damage potential than an AR-15. Also, my owning of two of such guns is deemed necessary for my career, due to interactions with wildlife. Now, you see how your former statement was ignorant, because you did not possess the knowledge that such guns were necessary for my career? But now, you are not ignorant of such reason any longer, for you have been educated.

The second assumption you made was that my sister was in high school ROTC. She was. She was also in college ROTC, although with no plans to join armed forces of any division. It was just where her then-friends enjoyed to spend their time.

The reason I provided such information was to demonstrate that your input of such information as a means of proving that you possessed gun knowledge was an appeal to authority. Hence, why I included that bit afterwards.

If it makes you feel any better, I was ignorant to if you were a lawyer or paralegal, due to my inability to recall such facts. You educated me, by informing me of you passing the BAR (congrats on that, by the way). Thus, I moved from ignorant to educated.

Picking up....I'd written "Absent speed loaders a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous, except in terms of concealment, than a double barrel shotgun."

What I see is a disconcerting habit of assuming or not fully contextualizing on your part. For instance, you choose a 45 and assume what caliber of shotgun? At what distance? With what skill, etc? In general, a shotgun is more deadly for any practical use. You want home defense, I'll take my double barrel 20 gauge indoors over any handgun. And I'm skilled with a handgun. Most people, criminal or not, aren't particularly proficient in the use of their weapon in the best of circumstances, let alone in a situation involving adrenaline and fear.

Beyond that, I've considered six shot revolvers. I wouldn't consider much if anything beyond that, if that.
I agree that such statistics and details matter. Thus, my example.

My "disconcerting habit" is equal to yours. You said that a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous than a double-barrel shotgun. You had not fully contextualized your argument there, but are quick to point out that my example is an assumption, absent of full context.

My example was to demonstrate that such a claim of revolvers not being more dangerous than a double-barrel shotgun, could be, and often are, wrong (unless you are including illegal double-barrel shotguns). A Judge, which is classified as a revolver, possesses six shotgun rounds, as opposed to two. Thus, the Judge can accurately be labeled as "more dangerous."

You seemed much to quick to try and dissolute my point, rather than consider it. This seems to solidify my questioning of you seeing where you were wrong in your revolver vs shotgun statement.

Let's progress........

My quote: "I know it is an old, and overused argument, but it is relevant: Heroin, cocaine, etc are illegal. Yet, people still have access to them. Has this supply not been impacted?"
Your reply:
And yet where the measures I support are in play deaths and violence by gun are appreciably lower than where they are not.
This is not evidence in the US. According to that CDC report, the top locations in the US with the highest rate of gun crimes/deaths are those with the strictest gun laws and regulations, which include Washington D.C., Baltimore, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit.

How do you address this evidence, as it relates to your claim?

If laws had no impact there would be no laws. Laws impact on two fronts. First, their consequence deters the reasonable man in his pursuit of any particular desire. Illustration of this is in the notable decrease in loss of life following the lowering of speed limits and the insistence of seatbelt use in cars. Does it stop every? Of course not. Does it work a good? Of course it does. Second, laws which prohibit the manufacturing, distribution and sale of particular things will necessarily impact the distribution and sale of those things. The fewer of them the less damage is likely by them (see: every other Western democracy with universal and tougher gun law). As even those who oppose my measures note, it's a logical necessity. Water is wet. Even those who don't want to bathe can recognize the empirical truth of the proposition.
I agree that laws are necessary and have an impact. Your first front is correct.

Your second, I would say is also correct, however your conclusion is not. "The fewer of them the less damage is likely by them (see: every other Western democracy with universal and tougher gun law)." Why do we see increases in violent crime being introduced correlational to tougher gun restrictions and regulations?

If you wish to use a comparable country: The UK, when it introduced stricter gun laws, saw an increase from teen percentages to 59% of the burglaries being “hot burglaries” (burglaries committed while the home is occupied by the owner/renter).

If you find it insufficient argue for increasing the numbers of police or proximity to the citizenry.
Rather than addressing critical questions of "What is the average response time of a police force to a home invasion? And Or how about to a public murder, such as any mass shooting?," you attempt to redirect the issue to numbers and proximity of police.

If you wish to follow through with this redirection, then I would submit the fact that most crimes occur within cities, not in rural areas. Your argument would bear weight if evidence pointed to more rural locations having higher crime rates, but that is not the case. Again, we see higher gun crime rates in major cities, with the largest police forces per capita, and with the strictest gun laws.

Citation to authority? In any event, what I have cited to and noted is that the banning of these weapons leads to an easily observable distinction when it comes to gun violence, deaths, and mass murders.
Not according to the CDC.

Guns are used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. The types of guns used: the kind you would ban.

Also, of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.

*The above facts are also supported by two other sources; Kleck and Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime," and Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig, "Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms," NIJ Research in Brief (May 1997); available at https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf.

Rather, it may evidence any number of things, from a saturation point past which additional weapons have an increasingly marginal impact. It may reflect a decrease in a given population prone to using those weapons violently. Any number of things really. And so we have more guns per individual than any nation on earth and lead the world in gun violence and mass murder. This rather demolishes the argument that safety is found in the possession of more guns. Coupled with the statistics from our cousins the rational course is clear.

In point of fact, where gun laws are more strict in our own states the deaths per 100k of citizens is markedly better and compared to every other Western industrialized democracy with universal and stronger gun laws that undeniable fact becomes more dramatically evidenced
Yet, the claim that the US leads the world in gun violence and mass murder is false. This is even supported by liberal, anti-gun websites, such as https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list.

The US is not leading in gun violence. The alt-fact I have heard is that if you remove the top five crime ridden cities, which have the strictest gun control laws, the US drops down to like 183rd in gun crime. Now, I do not think this alt-fact is true, hence my labeling it as an "alt-fact." But, the truth within this false fact is that the most violent cities in the US, sporting the highest numbers of gun crimes, have the strictest gun laws. The locations with the lax gun laws, such as rural areas, have more guns per person, and near minimal gun crime.

Evidence does not support your conclusion.

Not really. At least not in the sense that we are. I've noted Sweden, which has dramatically more gun control than we do here. You have to take and pass a serious test first after a year long course. You can't own more than six guns without special permission. You have to store them in a safe and transportation of them is regulated as well. You can't own guns if you're a felon, convicted of domestic violence, or driving under the influence. You can't own a fully automatic weapon and the chances of your getting a license for a semi-automatic aren't great.
I agree with most of these rules. The only two laws you mentioned that do not exist in the US are the year long course/test and a limit of six guns, without special permission.

What about Switzerland?

My point is that both of these countries have extremely high ownership rates, to the point of nearly every citizen having at least one gun, and boasting low crime rates. Thus, you claiming that "saturation point past which additional weapons have an increasingly marginal impact," is sort of proven wrong with the examples of Sweden and Switzerland.

Google deaths per 100k by guns and see what you come up with.

Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (link)
Thank you for the superb link. I appreciate it.

I do note that the numbers are mostly consistent with the CDC analysis. However, this report does not take into account those pesky details that you are a stickler for. What details? Such as gang and drug related crimes making up 80% of all gun deaths in the US. These are illegal guns, owned by people who are prohibited from having guns, being used for illegal purposes.

The link you provided also does not compare gun crimes adequately. For example, the focus is on the US age and crime rates. But firearm assault is not classified the same way, internationally. The article also is publishing such statistics based upon a selected researcher, rather than a conglomerate of statistics. Not saying that the researcher is wrong; but much more reliable research would examine and compile information from a variety of sources, such as FBI, Police forces, CIA, etc.

You are certainly free to view it as a coincidence of staggering dimensions.
Well, let us consider the quotes (in a numerical point format) from the CDC:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:
“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

2. Defensive uses of guns are most common:
“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.”

3. Mass shootings and accidental firearm deaths account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths, and both are declining:
“The number of public mass shootings of the type that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School accounted for a very small fraction of all firearm-related deaths. Since 1983 there have been 78 events in which 4 or more individuals were killed by a single perpetrator in 1 day in the United States, resulting in 547 victims and 476 injured persons.” The report also notes, “Unintentional firearm-related deaths have steadily declined during the past century. The number of unintentional deaths due to firearm-related incidents accounted for less than 1 percent of all unintentional fatalities in 2010.”

4. Gun buyback/turn-in programs are “ineffective” in reducing crime:
“There is empirical evidence that gun turn in programs are ineffective, as noted in the 2005 NRC study Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review. For example, in 2009, an estimated 310 million guns were available to civilians in the United States (Krouse, 2012), but gun buy-back programs typically recover less than 1,000 guns (NRC, 2005). On the local level, buy-backs may increase awareness of firearm violence. However, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for example, guns recovered in the buy-back were not the same guns as those most often used in homicides and suicides (Kuhn et al., 2002).”

5. Stolen guns and retail/gun show purchases account for very little crime:
“More recent prisoner surveys suggest that stolen guns account for only a small percentage of guns used by convicted criminals. … According to a 1997 survey of inmates, approximately 70 percent of the guns used or possess by criminals at the time of their arrest came from family or friends, drug dealers, street purchases, or the underground market.”

6. The vast majority of gun-related deaths are not homicides, but suicides:
“Between the years 2000-2010 firearm-related suicides significantly outnumbered homicides for all age groups, annually accounting for 61 percent of the more than 335,600 people who died from firearms related violence in the United States.”

And here, I will toss you a little nugget;
7. “Interventions” (i.e, gun control) such as background checks, so-called "assault rifl"e bans and gun-free zones produce “mixed” results:
“Whether gun restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue.” The report could not conclude whether “passage of right-to-carry laws decrease or increase violence crime.”

Moving on:
Rather, they target only some types of guns. The guns used successfully to murder scores of children in minutes. Yes. That's right.
You mean handguns, as "assault rifles" have not been used in most school shootings?

On a last note....
Were that the case we'd be the safest country on earth instead of the least among equals.

Murders (all, not just gun deaths) per 100k:

U.S. 4.88
Denmark .99
Finland 1.6
Sweden 1.15
UK .92
Greece .85
Italy .78
Portugal .97
Spain .66
Austria .51
Belgium 1.95
France 1.58
Germany .85

Most of those are 2014 and 2015 numbers according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
I will stick with the CDC research, ordained by Obama, and with research not conducted by the most regressive organization on the planet (the UN).

A horrible thing. Now unpack it. In the account you're speaking to it wasn't some lone nut, but a group of men in a train station. A group of individuals in a tightly packed space committing an act of terrorism. A planned and coordinated act. They have more in common with Tim McVey than with the deranged or evil young man in Florida, or the deranged and/or evil fellow in Las Vegas. That is to say, they are an outlier among outliers and really, practically speaking, outside of the point.

Well, no. It is a fact that more knives are used than rifles in violent acts. It's a rather singular one. But my objection has not been limited to rifles and where rifles not to all. Your statement that then asserts I must be a hypocrite if I'm not similarly situated on restricting knives without your having similarly framed the point is mistaken.

Knives, unlike the class of guns I'm considering, haven't been designed to kill a great many people in a short period of time. And in the singular sense (use of any one of them to manage it) they have rarely been used to accomplish or capable of that end. Recall that this was a part of my noting what distinguishes the class of weapons that I objected to in relation to the sort of weapon I support in defense of the right.

I'd agree that if for no apparent reason other than to serve your ends we agreed to focus on all knives as an instrument of violence when compared to one class of guns, knives would win that peculiarly narrowed race.
It seems you are just dismissing knives being used more than rifles, solely because such a fact is detrimental to your cause.

If I am wrong, then why focus on "assault rifles," since knives are used far more? If I am wrong in your focus, then please explain it more concisely.

Lastly, guns available to the public have not been designed to kill a great number of people in a short period of time. The AR-15 for example is a small game rifle, modeled after the military's M4. The .223 round is simply lighter for the armed forces to carry, however, it is not ideal for dispatching enemies, especially absent a FMJ.

If you have an example of a currently legal gun, or guns that have been designed to kill great numbers of people in a short period of time, please let me know what they are.

In summary, we can dispatch with historical debate on the second amendment, as it is serving no purpose on current discussion regarding regulations on guns. Statistics demonstrate that guns are used far more (80 times, in fact) to save lives, than to murder. A majority of gun violence is committed by people already engaging in illegal activities, involving illegal guns, further committing illegal acts. These individuals clearly are not going to care about what laws and regulations are in place. Also, the US is not the most violent, gun ridden country in the world, despite the abundant falsehoods that claim it is.

Questions for you:
1.) What evidence do you posit that demonstrates "where the measures I support are in play, deaths and violence by gun are appreciably lower than where they are not"?
2.) Why do we see increases in violent crime being introduced correlational to tougher gun restrictions and regulations? (Partly rhetorical, however, if you continue in your claim that gun regulations equal less gun crime, then it becomes a relative and critical analysis)
3.) Why focus on "assault rifles," since knives are used far more, in violent crime/deaths? (only applicable if you maintain that rifle regulations are more relevant and necessary than knife regulations/restrictions)

4.) If I am wrong in your focus, then please explain it more concisely.
5.) If you have an example of a currently legal gun, or guns that have been designed to kill great numbers of people in a short period of time, please let me know what they are.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Part One:

First off, I have only once attacked your character through insulting remarks. It was the 5th grade comment. That is the only time.
Well, no, but the one admission is sufficient to ask, why on earth do that?

2.) To demonstrate what an "insult" is.
You're under the impression that's a mystery to anyone around here? :plain:

Classifying something as ignorant or a falsehood is not insulting.
A falsehood is, in the primary, a lie. When you say to someone they have their facts wrong, or they are mistaken it's one thing. That word is another and it is inherently insulting.

At no point have I attacked your intellect. I hope I have made that clear.
I wasn't injured, only noting it was a pointless sort of insult and contrary to your introductory hopes.

To begin, here is my quote: "Your claims and argument that the second amendment "reads," "says," "was used for," etc solely for the purpose, and as a precursor that is no longer necessary, to form a military force is a falsehood."
No, it isn't. It's at worst debatable. Of course that's not really my intention, only a reflection that I noted the stated reason, the provided foundation for the right had been satisfied another way. I've also noted the right has any number of other applications that were worthy of being voiced and of being voiced yet.

I think that I have utilized poor choice of vocabulary. Perhaps the more adequate analysis would be that you set up your argument, using second amendment being solely for the obsolete precursor for a standing military force, as a background noise as means of supporting your argument.
In point of fact my argument doesn't rely on the purpose of the 2nd Amendment as a military device. It was ever a side bar and one I've already said I'm fine without.

Here you make two assumptions. The first is the ideological fallacy relating to my owning of weapons more volatile than an AR-15. You classify my indulgence as a needless one, and as a premise for a great deal of equally needless harm.
It isn't a logical fallacy and if you don't have to possess weapons the equal or superior to the AR-15 to meet the obligations of the right to bear arms, and you don't, then the ownership of them is unnecessary, or needless. And the deaths that follow from those weapons being easily attainable within the stream of commerce are similarly unnecessary, or needless.

I am of no threat to a law-abiding citizen, in any capacity, by owning firearms of higher damage potential than an AR-15.
You're misunderstanding my aim. It isn't you, but your right to the weapons (everyone's access to them) that makes for needless, lamentable death.

Also, my owning of two of such guns is deemed necessary for my career, due to interactions with wildlife. Now, you see how your former statement was ignorant
No, you simply misunderstood my aim or I didn't do a good enough job setting that out clearly. Though what sort of guns are necessary for wildlife that fall outside of my support?

The second assumption you made was that my sister was in high school ROTC.
Actually, I never did that. Read me again and quote me on the point if it helps.

The reason I provided such information was to demonstrate that your input of such information as a means of proving that you possessed gun knowledge was an appeal to authority.
Rebutted prior.

My "disconcerting habit" is equal to yours. You said that a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous than a double-barrel shotgun.
The disconcerting habit I meant was your assuming something about my position. When I say a revolver isn't really that much more dangerous than a double barrel shotgun I'm not assuming anything about your position. At worst I'm inviting you to ask, "How so?" In which case I'd reply that I'm considering their use as instruments of mass murder.

This is not evidence in the US. According to that CDC report, the top locations in the US with the highest rate of gun crimes/deaths are those with the strictest gun laws and regulations, which include Washington D.C., Baltimore, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit.
If you throw your net in a tight enough circle you can catch one fish. But when you're speaking to data, the wider the net the better. And in fact, states with the strictest gun laws have the lowest rates of death and violence in this country, per 100k. The same holds true when comparing nations.

How do you address this evidence, as it relates to your claim?
You grabbed the elephant's tail, the exception, and thought it the rule. For instance, Chicago sits in a state that is ranked highly in terms of gun laws. Giffords Law Center has Illinois with the 8th strongest gun laws in the nation. They're also ranked 34th in death by gun, meaning they're the 16th best state in that regard, and would be higher if not for the Chicago outlier. (link) My state, Alabama, by way of comparison, is ranked 36th, or 14th from the bottom in terms of gun laws. It has the 2nd highest gun death per 100k in our nation.

I agree that laws are necessary and have an impact. Your first front is correct. Your second, I would say is also correct, however your conclusion is not. "The fewer of them the less damage is likely by them (see: every other Western democracy with universal and tougher gun law)." Why do we see increases in violent crime being introduced correlational to tougher gun restrictions and regulations?
We don't. Not that you won't find outliers, exceptions, but it simply isn't the rule, either by state here or compared to nations abroad.

Utilizing Gifford's again: here are states in terms of gun law and beside them their ranking in terms of gun deaths per 100k:

1. Cal.: 43rd
2. NJ: 45th
3. CT: 46th
4. MA: 50th
5. NY: 48th
6. MD: 32nd
7. HI: 47th
8. IL: 34th
9. RI: 49th
10. WA: 41

Or, eight of the top ten states with the toughest gun laws are in the top ten safest states to live safer from the possibility of gun death.

The 44th and 42nd in terms of deaths are MN (12th toughest) and ME (15th toughest).

The bottom 10 in weak laws and their place in terms of deaths per 100k?

1. MS: 4
2. MO: 7
KS: 23
4. AZ: 16
5. ID: 19
6. WY: 11
7. AK: 1
8. LA: 3
9. KY: 13
10. VT: 36

Cont. in Part II

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Part Two:

Rather than addressing critical questions of "What is the average response time of a police force to a home invasion? And Or how about to a public murder, such as any mass shooting?," you attempt to redirect the issue to numbers and proximity of police.
Actually, if you want to raise a point it's not up to me to do your footwork for you. Rather, I noted that if you had a problem with either there's a fairly straight forward response to it and noted what that response should be.

If you wish to follow through with this redirection, then I would submit the fact that most crimes occur within cities, not in rural areas.
Which would make sense given that's where you have an astounding concentration of people, especially the poor who are as a group strongly represented in that category, both as victims and victimizers.

Your argument would bear weight if evidence pointed to more rural locations having higher crime rates, but that is not the case.
Well, no. My argument isn't impacted by the fact that rural, more sparsely populated regions have lower incidents of crime. Again: see the net I noted prior.

Again, we see higher gun crime rates in major cities, with the largest police forces per capita, and with the strictest gun laws.
What's your source material, out of curiosity. Once upon a time a town near here was the murder capital of the country, per capita. But Alabama on the whole wasn't.

Guns are used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. The types of guns used: the kind you would ban.

Also, of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.

*The above facts are also supported by two other sources; Kleck and Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime," and Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig, "Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms," NIJ Research in Brief (May 1997); available at https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf.
The assertions are, in fact, both old and widely disputed. Take the 2.5 million claim. How did it come into being? (excerpt from: Washington Post, 2016 LINK)

"One of the most famous estimates of the annual prevalence of self-defense use, made in the mid-1990s by criminologists Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, claimed between 2.2 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses annually. This estimate was based on a national survey of 5,000 people, of which 66 reported using a gun in self-defense in the past year.

But subsequent research has found that this high number is simply mathematically impossible. As crime prevention researcher Philip Cook has pointed out, "The Kleck-Gertz survey suggests that the number of DGU [defensive gun use] respondents who reported shooting their assailant was over 200,000, over twice the number of those killed or treated [for gunshots] in emergency departments." In other words, in order for the estimate of 2.5 million defensive gun uses to be correct, we would have to assume that self-defense accounts for literally every single gunshot victim in the United States, as well as a massive number of invisible gunshot victims completely unknown to medical or legal authorities. That simply isn't plausible."

So what do we know? Continuing:

"But the latest research on the prevalence of firearm use in self-defense finds that these incidents are much less common that many gun rights advocates believe. For every person who uses a gun in self-defense, the research finds, nearly six people use a gun to commit a crime.

Those figures come from a Harvard University analysis of data from the federal National Crime Victimization Survey. David Hemenway, director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, examined five years of data from the survey covering the period between 2007 and 2011, with responses from nearly 160,000 individuals."

Yet, the claim that the US leads the world in gun violence and mass murder is false.
What claim? I never made it. What I've said is that we are dramatically the leader among our kin, other Western industrial democracies. The disparity there is marked. And we're, I believe, around 34th in the world, which is astoundingly bad considering the company.

Evidence does not support your conclusion.
It completely does. No one is suggesting and I have never argued that cities are safer than more dispersed populations. There are all sorts of pros and cons to address between the two social habitats.

What I have said is that when you look at states with both populations, despite there being heavier concentrations of cities in, say, NY state, the state STILL fares better in terms of gun violence, per 100k of its people, than Alabama, where we have few large cities and possess large rural populations.

I agree with most of these rules. The only two laws you mentioned that do not exist in the US are the year long course/test and a limit of six guns, without special permission.
Really, only one of those laws is shared universally and that varies in particulars, unless you're transporting guns across state lines using the interstate.

What about Switzerland?
That's what I say. :D
Spoiler

More seriously, they're an interesting country and a sort of comparatively liberal (by European standards) one in terms of gun laws. Now you can't own an automatic weapon and good luck getting a concealed carry permit, but the way the culture concentrates on responsible use and respect for the weapon feels familiar to me. Part of that may be related to their compulsory military service. If you somehow managed to escape being taught respect for your weapon before you're of age for your service, you're going to get a good bit of it from your drill instructor.

Gun ownership there is comparatively (to us) low, with around one gun to every four people. Now they suffer in comparison to their European cousins in terms of deaths related to guns, having the most gun related deaths per 100k citizens, though they haven't had our problem with mass shootings (the last significant event of that sort being 16 years or so ago). The Swiss also keep a list of people they believe could be risks and frequently interview them. And if you've been convicted of a crime you can forget about it. Background checks are serious business as is registration outside of hunting weapons.

My point is that both of these countries have extremely high ownership rates, to the point of nearly every citizen having at least one gun, and boasting low crime rates. Thus, you claiming that "saturation point past which additional weapons have an increasingly marginal impact," is sort of proven wrong with the examples of Sweden and Switzerland.
I've never opposed ownership of weapons or made a point relating that I know of. My argument is with semi and fully automatic weapons. The latter can't be obtained in either and the former only with strict regulations and other laws not found here and opposed here by special interest groups and industry.

I do note that the numbers are mostly consistent with the CDC analysis. However, this report does not take into account those pesky details that you are a stickler for. What details? Such as gang and drug related crimes making up 80% of all gun deaths in the US. These are illegal guns, owned by people who are prohibited from having guns, being used for illegal purposes.
Well, when you think about it, every gun used in a murder is the property of a criminal. The problem is, again, one of ease of access to a weapon that is largely (in terms of mass shootings, for one) in the hands of someone who isn't a criminal until he pulls the trigger.

The link you provided ...Not saying that the researcher is wrong; but much more reliable research would examine and compile information from a variety of sources, such as FBI, Police forces, CIA, etc.
Feel free to rebut any of its data using another respectable resource. Else, it's a bit moot as points go.

Well, let us consider the quotes (in a numerical point format) from the CDC:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:
“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”
While that number is relatively small (supra) it isn't a point I contest. I'd also say that you can use the guns I support for repelling unlawful acts aimed against you.

2. Defensive uses of guns are most common:
“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.”
The study itself notes the unreliable nature of the number, but again, I'm not suggesting people not own a gun. It's just not part of my argument or aim.

3. Mass shootings and accidental firearm deaths account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths, and both are declining:
“The number of public mass shootings of the type that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School accounted for a very small fraction of all firearm-related deaths. Since 1983 there have been 78 events in which 4 or more individuals were killed by a single perpetrator in 1 day in the United States, resulting in 547 victims and 476 injured persons.” The report also notes, “Unintentional firearm-related deaths have steadily declined during the past century. The number of unintentional deaths due to firearm-related incidents accounted for less than 1 percent of all unintentional fatalities in 2010.”
Your data is old. While mass shootings are, thankfully, a fraction of gun deaths reported each year the trend in deaths and injuries continues to climb.

YEAR--Incidents--Deaths--Injuries
2013: 339 -- 467-- 1,126
2014: 325 -- 364 -- 1,213
2015: 371 -- 469 -- 1,387
2016: 477 -- 606 -- 1,781
2017: 427 -- 590 -- 1,981

Source: Mass Shooting Tracker (link) The site uses the FBI definition for mass shootings and links to reports it cites in particular.

4. Gun buyback/turn-in programs are “ineffective” in reducing crime:
Highly effective in reducing one sort of crime. But if mass shootings are a comparatively small part of homicides, let alone criminal acts overall, it would be miraculous if it did reduce crime significantly. Of course, the sort of crime it will reduce is pretty significant to the society, which is part of my argument. I'd agree local level attempts are less effective, unsurprisingly. The models I note promote universal and tougher gun laws, not scattered local attempts.

5. Stolen guns and retail/gun show purchases account for very little crime:
“More recent prisoner surveys suggest that stolen guns account for only a small percentage of guns used by convicted criminals.
So, very much like mass murder.

… According to a 1997 survey of inmates, approximately 70 percent of the guns used or possess by criminals at the time of their arrest came from family or friends, drug dealers, street purchases, or the underground market.”
That seems a mix of things. Are you saying they're mostly legal or illegally obtained?

6. The vast majority of gun-related deaths are not homicides, but suicides:
Absolutely. Doesn't impact my argument or aim, but I agree. True in Switzerland too, by the way.

And here, I will toss you a little nugget;
7. “Interventions” (i.e, gun control) such as background checks, so-called "assault rifl"e bans and gun-free zones produce “mixed” results:
“Whether gun restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue.” The report could not conclude whether “passage of right-to-carry laws decrease or increase violence crime.”
I'm not for gun free zones. Never have been. And you can't gauge the efficacy of assault rifle bans unless you have universal laws relating to them. In Australia they had over a dozen mass shootings in the 20 year period prior to enacting tougher, universal gun laws. In the 20 years after they had none.

Moving on:
You mean handguns, as "assault rifles" have not been used in most school shootings?
No, I mean all guns that are designed to kill scores of people, clip fed and talked about frequently with you and prior.

On a last note....
I will stick with the CDC research, ordained by Obama, and with research not conducted by the most regressive organization on the planet (the UN).
If it's valid data I don't care if Fox News reports it and neither should you. And the CDC data isn't really that helpful, supra. I haven't seen any CDC data that disputes the numbers I posted for the years, but feel free to link to it and I'll have a look.

It seems you are just dismissing knives being used more than rifles, solely because such a fact is detrimental to your cause.
Rather, I unpacked an example you offered to bring another side bar into what should be a focused discourse, one that that wasn't what it appeared to be in your general set out. I noted it was a terrorist act perpetrated by several people who picked an excellent venue. But even then it took a number of them to not really approach the level of destruction one nut in a hotel room with managed with an assault rifle.

I also noted that you tried to lump all knives into one group, not a thing I've done with all guns. Not all knives are designed in a way that remotely facilitates the violence I'm speaking to. And so on...

If I am wrong, then why focus on "assault rifles," since knives are used far more?
I told you why from the outset and answered in more particular on this in my last.

Lastly, guns available to the public have not been designed to kill a great number of people in a short period of time.
Yes, they have. And they've been made even better at it by aides like the bump stock. They can deliver a great many lethal projectiles in a very short order, many magnitudes greater capacity for that than the breech loaders I favor.

A majority of gun violence is committed by people already engaging in illegal activities, involving illegal guns, further committing illegal acts.These individuals clearly are not going to care about what laws and regulations are in place.
They'll care when the supply dries up. Otherwise, none of that impacts the empirically observable fact that states and nations with stronger gun laws do a better job of protecting their citizens from death and injury by gun.

Also, the US is not the most violent, gun ridden country in the world, despite the abundant falsehoods that claim it is.
No idea why you repeat that as it has never been an assertion of mine. We are, however, dramatically more likely to die by a gun than most of the models used by our Western, industrialized and democratic cousins. You're also appreciably more likely to die by gun in a state with weaker gun laws here.

Questions for you:
I couldn't find one I hadn't addressed prior.

:e4e:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
BBKj8sV.img

The NRA is effectively losing the public relations battle and alienated much of the younger generation!

The unwillingness of this Republican President and Congress to introduce preventative measures, without receiving permission first from the gun lobby, will have long lasting repercussions!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The judiciary should try and execute the murderer, and the event should be broadcast over the weekend.

They could run it against the royal wedding.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I watched a report on the news by one of the students that this young fellow liked to wear a black trenchcoat to school even in the heat, just as he wore during the attack. Then I saw the Governor stating that, unlike other similar events, there were no early warning signs in this case. Really?

I am praying this tragedy becomes the final tipping point for some action by our government.

AMR