10,000 Reasons…

theophilus

641. For deeper understanding of how God always does right.

Good morning George,

I understand your grief, your shock and your questioning of God. I lost the only person who ever really loved me when I was 17 years old. I'm 56 and I still grieve.

Recently I bought a book "All Things For Good" by Thomas Watson. It's an extensive exposition of Romans 8:28.

Table of Contents

Title Page

Extract from the Preface -

Christian Reader,
There are two things, which I have always looked upon as difficult. The one is, to make the wicked sad; the other is, to make the godly joyful. Dejection in the godly arises from a double spring: either because their inward comforts are darkened, or their outward comforts are disturbed. To cure both these troubles, I have put forth this ensuing piece, hoping, by the blessing of God, it will buoy up their desponding hearts, and make them look with a more pleasant aspect. I would prescribe them to take, now and then, a little of this Cordial: all things work together for good to them that love God. To know that nothing hurts the godly, is a matter of comfort; but to be assured that all things which fall out shall co operate for their good, that their crosses shall be turned into blessings, that showers of affliction water the withering root of their grace and make it flourish more; this may fill their hearts with joy till they run over.

Introduction
The best things work for good to the godly
The worst things work for good to the godly
Why all things work for good

Of love to God
The tests of love to God
An exhortation to love God
Effectual calling
Exhortations to those who are called
Concerning God’s purpose
Indexes

The unabridged version titled "A Divine Cordial" is here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/watson/cordial.toc.html

The condensed version is available from Puritan Paperbacks for a few dollars.

I'm praying for you George and hope you will give this church father a shot at encouraging you and helping you find the answers to your questions.

~Teryl

theophilus

657. We can ask our Lord to put us through whatever it take to convince us our faith is real.
658. Fellow sojourners and pilgrims who walk the Way with us.
659. We serve an awesome and terrible Majesty.
660. Who loved us and gave Himself for us.
661. He's coming back!