‘I Understand You Are a Christian!’: Bernie Sanders Angrily Erupts During ...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
During Questioning of Nominee Who Believes Christ Is Only Way to God

WASHINGTON — Former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders became agitated and hostile on Wednesday during the questioning of Deputy Budget Director nominee Russell Vought, as he noted a social media post written by Vought that remarked that Muslims “do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ his Son, and they stand condemned.”

Sanders began by reading a joint letter from the Arab American Institute, Bend the Arc Jewish Action, and Muslim Advocates, which expressed objection to Vought’s nomination because he had “denigrated Muslims” and therefore has shown “hostility to religious pluralism.”

He then pointed to a portion of an article written by Vought last January in response to the Wheaton College controversy surrounding then-professor Larycia Hawkins’ assertion that Christians and Muslims “worship the same God.” Hawkins’ remarks had resulted in an investigation by the college and generated much discussion nationwide as to whether or not the Christian school was right to take action when such messages are put forth by its staff.

“Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned,” Vought, an alumni of Wheaton and a Christian, wrote in part in commenting on the controversy.

“Do you believe that that statement is Islamophobic?” Sanders asked during questioning on Wednesday.

“Absolutely not, Senator. I’m a Christian, and I believe in a Christian set of principles based on my faith,” Vought replied. “That post, as I stated in the questionnaire to this committee, was to defend my alma mater, Wheaton College, a Christian school that has a statement of faith that includes the centrality of Jesus Christ for salvation.”

Sanders then asked Vought if he believes Muslims are condemned by God for rejecting His Son.

“Do you believe people in the Muslim religion stand condemned? Is that your view?” he inquired.

“Again, Senator, I’m a Christian, and I wrote that piece in accordance with the statement of faith at Wheaton College,” Vought responded.

“I understand that. I don’t know how many Muslims there are in America—maybe a couple million. Are you suggesting that all those people stand condemned? What about Jews? Do they stand condemned, too?” Sanders questioned.

Vought again sought to emphasize that he is a Christian, and Christians believe that Christ is the only way to God.

“I understand you are a Christian!” Sanders erupted angrily. “But this country is made of people who are not just—I understand that Christianity is the majority religion, but there are other people of different religions in this country and around the world.”

He repeated, “In your judgment, do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?”

“As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe that as a Christian that’s how I should treat all individuals,” Vought replied.

Sanders, finding it disrespectful to state that those who reject Jesus stand in danger of God’s judgment, again pressed Vought.

“You think your statement that you put into that publication, ‘They do not know God because they rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned,’ do you think that’s respectful of other religions?” he asked.

“Senator, I wrote a post based on being a Christian and attending a Christian school that has a statement of faith that speaks clearly in regard to the centrality of Jesus Christ in salvation,” Vought repeated.

Sanders then remarked that Vought is unAmerican and therefore should not be confirmed.

“I would simply say, Mr. Chairman, that this nominee is really not someone who this country is supposed to be about,” he said.

He also released a statement about Vought later in the day, remarking that “condemning an entire group of people because of their faith cannot be part of any public policy.”

Jesus said in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

He also declared in John 3:18, “He that believeth on Him (the Son of God) is not condemned, but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”

Praise the Lord Bernie Sanders didnt make it.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
" He also released a statement about Vought later in the day, remarking that “condemning an entire group of people because of their faith cannot be part of any public policy.” "

Who was doing that?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sanders then remarked that Vought is unAmerican

UnAmerican for holding to Christian belief.
Bernie has lost touch with the real America.

Lon

Praise the Lord Bernie Sanders didnt make it.
And still need to kick the ACLU out of the United States as anti-constitutional...(I know, communists have freedom to live here... :plain:)

Sanders, ignorant of our Constitution and the difference between Faith and government says, in an almost brainless inevitable conclusive summation, that no politician should be of any faith whatsover :doh:

Russell Moore summed Sanders, Van Hollen, and the ACLU this way:
“Senator Sanders’ comments are breathtakingly audacious and shockingly ignorant—both of the Constitution and of basic Christian doctrine. Even if one were to excuse Senator Sanders for not realizing that all Christians of every age have insisted that faith in Jesus Christ is the only pathway to salvation, it is inconceivable that Senator Sanders would cite religious beliefs as disqualifying an individual for public office in defiance of the United States Constitution. No religious test shall ever be required of those seeking public office. While no one expects Senator Sanders to be a theologian, we should expect far more from an elected official who has taken an oath to support and defend the Constitution.” -Joe Carter

Lexington'96

Sanders then remarked that Vought is unAmerican

UnAmerican for holding to Christian belief.
Bernie has lost touch with the real America.

America is one of the most radically socially liberal countries in the world. Real America is becoming anti-Christian. We are a hated minority.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
America is one of the safest countries in which to be a Christian today. There is almost nowhere in America where a Christian's life is in jeopardy, simply for witnessing to the Resurrection. For almost all intents and purposes, there is nowhere in America where you'd be killed, harmed, or even bothered, for preaching the Good News that He is risen. Compare this to Rome in the first century, or with some unfortunate places today. The Church has changed the world, to make it safe for Christians. We thank the Lord for America in particular.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
America is one of the safest countries in which to be a Christian today. There is almost nowhere in America where a Christian's life is in jeopardy, simply for witnessing to the Resurrection.

It is if there is a muslim around. Or a liberal.

The Islamaphobic organization has gained significant momentum since its founding in 2007 by Brigitte Gabriel, a Lebanese immigrant who has openly called Islam inconsistent with U.S law.

“A practicing Muslim who believes the word of the Quran to be the word of Allah … who goes to mosque and prays every Friday, who prays five times a day — this practicing Muslim, who believes in the teachings of the Koran, cannot be a loyal citizen of the United States,” said Gabriel during a course at the Department of Defense’s Joint Forces Staff College in 2007.

You cannot believe in the Bill of Rights and claim to support islam at the same time.

Lexington'96

America is one of the safest countries in which to be a Christian today. There is almost nowhere in America where a Christian's life is in jeopardy, simply for witnessing to the Resurrection. For almost all intents and purposes, there is nowhere in America where you'd be killed, harmed, or even bothered, for preaching the Good News that He is risen. Compare this to Rome in the first century, or with some unfortunate places today. The Church has changed the world, to make it safe for Christians. We thank the Lord for America in particular.

Christians aren't physically harmed, but Christians who are serious about their religion are hated. And some are harassed through the legal system (see Stutzman).

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It is if there is a muslim around. Or a liberal.
The Islamaphobic organization has gained significant momentum since its founding in 2007 by Brigitte Gabriel, a Lebanese immigrant who has openly called Islam inconsistent with U.S law.

“A practicing Muslim who believes the word of the Quran to be the word of Allah … who goes to mosque and prays every Friday, who prays five times a day — this practicing Muslim, who believes in the teachings of the Koran, cannot be a loyal citizen of the United States,” said Gabriel during a course at the Department of Defense’s Joint Forces Staff College in 2007.

You cannot believe in the Bill of Rights and claim to support islam at the same time.
Islam must die.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Christians aren't physically harmed, but Christians who are serious about their religion are hated. And some are harassed through the legal system (see Stutzman).
Compared to when the Church began. It was more dangerous to be an Apostle, than to play "Russian roulette," with five-of-six chambers hot.

Lexington'96

Compared to when the Church began. It was more dangerous to be an Apostle, than to play "Russian roulette," with five-of-six chambers hot.

True, I was never arguing that it is that bad. I was just saying that Bernie Sanders' views aren't too far out of line with the American public.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
True, I was never arguing that it is that bad. I was just saying that Bernie Sanders' views aren't too far out of line with the American public.
No, they're not, you're right and I agree. This almost seems like Sanders wants to have this discussion publicly, that he feels that we need to address the Christian faith here, because for many especially progressives, the Christian faith itself is ominous and threatening, because we don't drink the progressive neo-morality "koolaid." I actually hope the discussion happens, because I think there's no way the Church doesn't come out looking good. Anti-Christians are idiots, it'll be easy.