Woen named 'MARY.'

S-word

BANNED
Banned
How many women by the name Mary, were at the cross, the burial, and the empty tomb of Jesus?

Truster

Correctly transliterated the name is Miryam (from Hebrew) and Mariam (from Greek) which means Rebellious.

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Correctly transliterated the name is Miryam (from Hebrew) and Mariam (from Greek) which means Rebellious.

And Mary in English. But that does not answer the question: "How many women by the name Mary, were at the cross, the burial, and the empty tomb of Jesus?

Truster

And Mary in English. But that does not answer the question: "How many women by the name Mary, were at the cross, the burial, and the empty tomb of Jesus?

It doesn't transliterate as Mary. So the answer, as if it wasn't obvious, is none.

S-word

BANNED
Banned
It doesn't transliterate as Mary. So the answer, as if it wasn't obvious, is none.

The whole world except for you Truster, calls the mother of Jesus, 'MARY' and I believe that every English bible, including the Jerusalem bible, has 'MARY' as the mother of Jesus, and she was one of the women by the name Mary, who was at the cross, the burial, and the empty tomb of her son Jesus, as if it wasn't obvious to everyone but yourself, who appears to love to argue, just for arguments sake.

daqq

Actually "Miryam" is just how it is now pointed in the Hebrew text but the N/T Greek tells you how it was pronounced a thousand years before the Masorete pointed text came about. So really, Maryah/Mary/Maryam/Mariam is the same name as Maryam/Mariam the sister of Moshe and Ahron; but that fact is lost to most because of English translations of Hebrew pointing that is only about a thousand years old as we speak.

Exodus 15:20 OG LXX-Septuagint
λαβουσα δε μαριαμ η προφητις η αδελφη ααρων το τυμπανον εν τη χειρι αυτης και εξηλθοσαν πασαι αι γυναικες οπισω αυτης μετα τυμπανων και χορων
http://bibledatabase.net/html/septuagint/02_015.htm

Exodus 15:20 Septuagint Brenton English Translation
20 And Mariam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, having taken a timbrel in her hand—then there went forth all the women after her with timbrels and dances.

http://biblehub.com/sep/exodus/15.htm

Go back into the womb of your mother-covenant, (Yerushalem of above), and start relearning everything all over again, like Nicodemus, Peter, Paul, and all the others had to do. :chuckle:

S-word

BANNED
Banned
:duh: Mary, Mary and Mary

One was Mary the mother of James and Joseph, the two other biological sons of Mary the mother of Jesus, another was Mary Magdalene, who is believed to be the sister of the second husband of Mary the mother of Jesus, so who is 'YOUR' third woman by the name Mary? If you answer "MARY" this will prove that you are just another biblical ignoramus, who does not have a clue.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One was Mary the mother of James and Joseph, the two other biological sons of Mary the mother of Jesus, another was Mary Magdalene, who is believed to be the sister of the second husband of Mary the mother of Jesus, so who is 'YOUR' third woman by the name Mary? If you answer "MARY" this will prove that you are just another biblical ignoramus, who does not have a clue.

Mary, the sister of Lazarus who sat at His feet.

Truster

Actually "Miryam" is just how it is now pointed in the Hebrew text but the N/T Greek tells you how it was pronounced a thousand years before the Masorete pointed text came about. So really, Maryah/Mary/Maryam/Mariam is the same name as Maryam/Mariam the sister of Moshe and Ahron; but that fact is lost to most because of English translations of Hebrew pointing that is only about a thousand years old as we speak.

Exodus 15:20 OG LXX-Septuagint
λαβουσα δε μαριαμ η προφητις η αδελφη ααρων το τυμπανον εν τη χειρι αυτης και εξηλθοσαν πασαι αι γυναικες οπισω αυτης μετα τυμπανων και χορων
http://bibledatabase.net/html/septuagint/02_015.htm

20 And Mariam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, having taken a timbrel in her hand—then there went forth all the women after her with timbrels and dances.

Go back into the womb of your mother-covenant, (Yerushalem of above), and start relearning everything all over again, like Nicodemus, Peter, Paul, and all the others had to do. :chuckle:

The original name did not exist in English, obviously. And so the name should have been transliterated and not translated. What is it about the truth that you hate so much?

daqq

The original name did not exist in English, obviously. And so the name should have been transliterated and not translated. What is it about the truth that you hate so much?

Why do you accuse me of hating the truth when I just showed it to you? The Torah portions of the Septuagint were rendered well before the advent of Messiah, likely some three hundred years before that time, (commencing around 280-270BC), and while the remainder of the Tanach is hotly debated, as for dating, most do agree about the time frame for when the Torah was begun to be rendered from the unpointed Hebrew text into the Greek Septuagint. You are the one who used the spelling "Miryam", (with an "i"), and then you said, "(from the Hebrew)", which is technically incorrect because *your* version of "the Hebrew" is only found in the Masorete pointed text which came some thirteen hundred years after the Torah portions of the Septuagint had begun to be rendered. If anyone here "hates the truth" you have proven that person to be yourself, (once again), for I showed you the truth from what is written, (once again), and you say that I "hate the truth" for showing you the truth! :rotfl:

Do you suppose what I quoted and said has no bearing on anything?

20 And Mariam
the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, having taken a timbrel in her hand—then there went forth all the women after her with timbrels and dances.

Isaiah 8:3-8 KJV
3 And I went unto
the prophetess; and she conceived, and bare a son. Then said the LORD to me, Call his name Mahershalalhashbaz.
4 For before the child shall have knowledge to cry, My father, and my mother, the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria.
5 The LORD spake also unto me again, saying,
6 Forasmuch as this people refuseth the waters of Shiloah that go softly, and rejoice in Rezin and Remaliah's son;
7 Now therefore, behold, the Lord bringeth up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, even the king of Assyria, and all his glory: and he shall come up over all his channels, and go over all his banks:
8 And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.

:sheep:

Truster

Why do you accuse me of hating the truth when I just showed it to you? The Torah portions of the Septuagint were rendered well before the advent of Messiah, likely some three hundred years before that time, (commencing around 280-270BC), and while the remainder of the Tanach is hotly debated, as for dating, most do agree about the time frame for when the Torah was begun to be rendered from the unpointed Hebrew text into the Greek Septuagint. You are the one who used the spelling "Miryam", (with an "i"), and then you said, "(from the Hebrew)", which is technically incorrect because *your* version of "the Hebrew" is only found in the Masorete pointed text which came some thirteen hundred years after the Torah portions of the Septuagint had begun to be rendered. If anyone here "hates the truth" you have proven that person to be yourself, (once again), for I showed you the truth from what is written, (once again), and you say that I "hate the truth" for showing you the truth! :rotfl:

Do you suppose what I quoted and said has no bearing on anything?

20 And Mariam
the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, having taken a timbrel in her hand—then there went forth all the women after her with timbrels and dances.

Isaiah 8:3-8 KJV
3 And I went unto
the prophetess; and she conceived, and bare a son. Then said the LORD to me, Call his name Mahershalalhashbaz.
4 For before the child shall have knowledge to cry, My father, and my mother, the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria.
5 The LORD spake also unto me again, saying,
6 Forasmuch as this people refuseth the waters of Shiloah that go softly, and rejoice in Rezin and Remaliah's son;
7 Now therefore, behold, the Lord bringeth up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, even the king of Assyria, and all his glory: and he shall come up over all his channels, and go over all his banks:
8 And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.

:sheep:

The problem with you is that your theology is cut and paste. You have no understanding. You hate the truth and so you oppose and tear down instead of building.

eider

The whole world except for you Truster, calls the mother of Jesus, 'MARY' and I believe that every English bible, including the Jerusalem bible, has 'MARY'.......

Of course you are right.....

1. Possibly even before the Gospels were written followers were adjusting names into their own languages mostly Greek and Latin. Then they got written up as those names. Two clear examples are Cephas who never knew the name Peter, and Yeshua (or similar) who never used Jesus. We can't do much about it now.

2. Folks who debate using Hebrew are off target because Jesus and most of his close folowers were Galileans, speaking Eastern Aramaic in Galilean accent, separate and clearly identifiable from Western Aramaic speaking Judeans. Maybe there are some experts who can guess how Galilean names sounded back then, but I've never read about one. :) (Mark {14:70}........ Surely thou art [one]of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech agreeth)

3. All the Gospels are fine but I focus upon Mark's description of those present:-
Mark {15:40} There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome; {15:41} (Who also, when he was
in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem.