Why am I here?

ynot

Hello all. New to this forum. To be honest I don't know why I am here. Was on the net looking for something to do with my idol time. Have always had a yearning for the word of God. I believe it was God who chose me some 7 years ago to start studying. I have been away from it for awhile. So why this post? Guess I needed some comfort. Then I did deeper and find that the comfort has always been there. So why am I here?

Last night a friend and I was reading together and did You know the first crime committed against god was a lie? When eve asked by Satan if gods command concerning the forbidden fruit, eve replied that god said they could not eat nor touch the fruit. God never said they couldn't touch it.

bybee

Hello all. New to this forum. To be honest I don't know why I am here. Was on the net looking for something to do with my idol time. Have always had a yearning for the word of God. I believe it was God who chose me some 7 years ago to start studying. I have been away from it for awhile. So why this post? Guess I needed some comfort. Then I did deeper and find that the comfort has always been there. So why am I here?

Last night a friend and I was reading together and did You know the first crime committed against god was a lie? When eve asked by Satan if gods command concerning the forbidden fruit, eve replied that god said they could not eat nor touch the fruit. God never said they couldn't touch it.

Welcome. I hope you find that which you seek.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Welcome, you may lean here, unless you choose to know, only what you know now?

It is nice to write the word you, as 'you' here, that is nice.

ynot

I have a question...how does a man know God has called him to do his work? How do you know it's God? I mean I can hear something and it won't leave me alone. Been years and...7 yrs ago when in the highlight of my studying I remember saying to god that when all else fails for me, I would do his will. Lost my job last week and that's why the idle time. Weird part is my own words that I said will not leave me alone. How do I know?

One Eyed Jack

I always figured Eve added that on for good measure, so to speak. For all the good it did. The first outright deception was "ye can be as gods."

Welcome to TOL.

ynot

One eye...hello. I read that part in genesis over and over again. Wonder why Satan did not try and tempt Adam first since covnanent was between god and Adam. Then after reading the statement eve made I think Satan seen a way out...eve had a problem with authority? Reads that way to me

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How do I know?
I believe God will reveal the answer to you.

I don't know if this will help, but I found that God's will, even specific instruction, is in the Bible, when it seemed to me that it was so distant and unreachable.

Not that we can perfect ourselves, but that if you think you are always trying and never in God's will you should see what God says His will is.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I have a question...how does a man know God has called him to do his work? How do you know it's God? I mean I can hear something and it won't leave me alone. Been years and...7 yrs ago when in the highlight of my studying I remember saying to god that when all else fails for me, I would do his will. Lost my job last week and that's why the idle time. Weird part is my own words that I said will not leave me alone. How do I know?

Have you confessed Jesus Christ yet ynot? You say you have been studying, what conclusions have you come to?

Jedidiah

Hello ynot. Did you know your name is both Tony backwards and a question ? You probably did. Anyway I'm new too, so I'd feel a little like the guest at the party who arrived just before you did, but acts as welcoming as the host, if I say to you, "Welcome ynot !"

So instead, I will wish you luck - Good luck ynot ! :D

:wave:

-Jed

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
One eye...hello. I read that part in genesis over and over again. Wonder why Satan did not try and tempt Adam first since covnanent was between god and Adam. Then after reading the statement eve made I think Satan seen a way out...eve had a problem with authority? Reads that way to me
I think what Eve said was our first biblical example of legalism and of choosing the law over God. Right there we're presented with the theme that rules the bible from beginning to end. Choosing between a relationship of grace with God and seeking righteousness through the law.

I think Eve was probably tempted first because she already wanted to rebel. She wanted to know good and evil, so that she could make herself righteous by choosing good and denying evil. Rather than being in grace with God. Essentially, to have control over her own destiny rather than surrender it to Him. That's the temptation of the law.

That's why she added "nor shall you touch it". Making up her own laws already, and already taking control of her own righteousness rather than trusting it to God.

Whatcha think?