Where does the bible teach that people are immortal?

preacherman57

More pot stirring. In the Evangelical world it is taught and believed that all people will live forever, that all people will have an eternal life. Yet, I must ask for proof once again. I am so sorry, but I must show verses that yet again refute another false teaching.
1Tim 6:15-16
Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords; WHO ONLY HATH IMMORALITY.
Now, am I wrong or does this verse state that only God/Jesus is immortal?

1Tim 1:17 Now unto the King eternal. immortal....

There is not one verses that states man is immortal.

2Tim 1:10 But is now made manifest( made known) by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus(the)Christ, who hath abolished death. and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

1Cor 15: 51-54
Behold, I shew you a mystery, We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye,at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead ( dead believers) shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
For the corruptible must put on incorruption. AND THIS MORTAL MUST PUT ON IMMORTALITY. ( if we must put on immortality, must mean that we do not have immortality already. We will not be immortal until after Jesus returnes the second time.)
So when this corruptible (body of flesh we are born with) shall put on incorruptible (our new bodies) and this mortal ( there it is, we are mortal) shall have put on immortality,...

Mat 19:29 And every one.....for my names sake, shall recieve (future tense) an hundredfold. and SHALL (will) INHERIT EVERLASTING LIFE.
Meaning something that will happen in the future, something you do not have now.

Lk 18:29-30 Verily I say to you. There is no man that hath left houses, or parents, or brethren ( biological siblings) or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

In the world to come, you dont have life everlasting now. Do you realize that Jesus is telling you that you will be rejected by your own family members because you believe in the truth?

Jn 5: 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on Him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life.

Jn 5:28-29
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the grave shall hear his voice.
And shall come forth; they that have done good (sheep) unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil (reprobates, goats) unto the resurrection of damnation.

Believers recieve life, non-believers recieve damnation. Non-believers are not given, nor do they have immortality.

Jn 10:25-28 (Speaking to Pharisees)
Jesus answered them, "I told you and ye believed not...
But ye believe not because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me. AND I GIVE UNTO THEM ETERNAL LIFE.

Did you catch that? Jesus will give us eternal life. We do not automatically have eternal life, it will be given to us at the end of this present age.

So, if only believers are going to be given eternal life, immortality, and the goats will not be given eternal life, they will not be made immortal, how does that fit into the belief that the wicked will suffer eternal punishment? Because if a person does not have immortality, there is no way he/she can be punished for eternity.

People, deal with the verses, go with what the bible teaches, not what the preachers say. The preachers are lying to you.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, if only believers are going to be given eternal life, immortality, and the goats will not be given eternal life, they will not be made immortal, how does that fit into the belief that the wicked will suffer eternal punishment? Because if a person does not have immortality, there is no way he/she can be punished for eternity.
Annihilationism.

You had much potential. Now this. Sigh.

Our Lord was not annihilated. If annihilation is the penalty due for sin, and sinners are saved from annihilation, then something other than the cross of Christ must have procured it; something other than satisfaction to divine justice has saved elect sinners.

What is your denominational or independent church affiliation where you are preaching?

AMR

Last edited:

everready

More pot stirring. In the Evangelical world it is taught and believed that all people will live forever, that all people will have an eternal life. Yet, I must ask for proof once again. I am so sorry, but I must show verses that yet again refute another false teaching.
Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords; WHO ONLY HATH IMMORALITY.

2Tim 1:10 But is now made manifest( made known) by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus(the)Christ, who hath abolished death. and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

Behold, I shew you a mystery, We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye,at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead ( dead believers) shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
For the corruptible must put on incorruption. AND THIS MORTAL MUST PUT ON IMMORTALITY. ( if we must put on immortality, must mean that we do not have immortality already. We will not be immortal until after Jesus returnes the second time.)
So when this corruptible (body of flesh we are born with) shall put on incorruptible (our new bodies) and this mortal ( there it is, we are mortal) shall have put on immortality,...

Mat 19:29 And every one.....for my names sake, shall recieve (future tense) an hundredfold. and SHALL (will) INHERIT EVERLASTING LIFE.
Meaning something that will happen in the future, something you do not have now.

Lk 18:29-30 Verily I say to you. There is no man that hath left houses, or parents, or brethren ( biological siblings) or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

In the world to come, you dont have life everlasting now. Do you realize that Jesus is telling you that you will be rejected by your own family members because you believe in the truth?

Jn 5: 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on Him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the grave shall hear his voice.
And shall come forth; they that have done good (sheep) unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil (reprobates, goats) unto the resurrection of damnation.

Believers recieve life, non-believers recieve damnation. Non-believers are not given, nor do they have immortality.

But ye believe not because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me. AND I GIVE UNTO THEM ETERNAL LIFE.

Did you catch that? Jesus will give us eternal life. We do not automatically have eternal life, it will be given to us at the end of this present age.

People, deal with the verses, go with what the bible teaches, not what the preachers say. The preachers are lying to you.

You said:

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

everready

TrevorL

Greetings everready and Ask Mr. Religion,
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
The rest of Genesis chapters 1-3 show that the image and likeness of God that Adam and Eve were created with was limited, in other words they were not made immortal. In the midst of the garden was the Tree of Life and after their transgression they were cast out of the garden so that they could not eat of the tree of life and thus live for ever.
Genesis 3:22-24 (KJV): 22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Even the sentence pronounced upon Adam indicates that he was not to live for ever, as he was to return to the dust.
Genesis 3:17-19 (KJV): 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
It does not say that their body would return to the dust, and your immortal soul will go to heaven or hell, but that Adam was made of the dust, and he would return to the dust.

Annihilationism. Our Lord was not annihilated. If annihilation is the penalty due for sin, and sinners are saved from annihilation, then something other than the cross of Christ must have procured it; something other than satisfaction to divine justice has saved elect sinners.
You are correct. Our Lord was not annihilated. Why even suggest this? While Adam was sentenced to return to the dust because he sinned, and all his descendants have also come under this condition, our Lord was the exception. He did no sin, and while he died as the result of the crucifixion it clearly states that he saw no corruption, that is he did not return to the dust as did Adam. The process was halted and on the third day he was raised from the dead and given immortality.

Acts 2:22-31 (KJV): 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. 25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
The Bible teaching is the resurrection of the body, not immortal soulism.

Kind regards
Trevor

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
[1Pe 5:11
11 To Him [be] the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
[2Pe 2:17
17 These are wells without water, clouds carried by a tempest, for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.
[2Pe 3:18
18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him [be] the glory both now and forever. Amen.
[1Jo 2:17
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
[2Jo 1:2
2 because of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever:
[Jde 1:13, 25
13 raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever. ... 25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, [Be] glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.
[Rev 1:6
6 and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him [be] glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
[Rev 4:9
9 Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever,
[Rev 5:13
13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: "Blessing and honor and glory and power [Be] to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!"
[Rev 14:11
11 "And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."
[Rev 22:5
5 There shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever.

nikolai_42

And many of them that sleep in the dust shall awake. Some to everlasting life and some to everlasting contempt.
Daniel 12:2

I don’t have much time and don’t text quickly but that verse goes well with I Co 15:54. Both are raised and both have immortality. The idea of soul sleep does not imply the idea of annihilationism. The idea of shame is not compatible with one of eradication. And it is clearly an eternal state.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

ttruscott

The opposite of immortal is mortal. The end of a mortal is in death. IF we are not created immortal then heaven will surely empty as the mortals in heaven slowly die off. Then HE has to go thru this all again...

I don't think so.

SonOfCaleb

It doesnt. Humans are inherently mortal. Even the Angels are mortal. Only spirits can be immortal though namely Jesus and Jehovah.

Immortality of the soul or the belief that humans can be immortal is a pagan teaching with its origins in ancient Chaldea/Babylon.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Annihilationism.

"Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever. (Ezekiel 28:18-19)

No more forever? Annihilationism?

Truster

Eternal life and immortality are not synonymous.

clefty

Right...Only ONE had no beginning...Is why only He is immortal

Man was given eternal life and remains dependent on the tree of life...

Away from that tree its fruit, man dies...body to dust...spirit back to Giver...his soul on hold unconscious until body + spirit = living soul...just like the first time...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
They are if you know who the bible is talking to. Here Jesus is talking to the inner man of a person, the part of a being that never dies. And whether or not your a believer.

[Jhn 11:26-27
26 "And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" 27 She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world."

clefty

I said
They are if you know who the bible is talking to. Here Jesus is talking to the inner man of a person, the part of a being that never dies. And whether or not your a believer.

[Jhn 11:26-27
26 "And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" 27 She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world."

Said by Yahshua: “and whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

Said by sneaky Squeaky: “the inner man of a person the part of a being that never dies. And whether or not your a believer.”

And to be fair He was speaking of the second death...as all who believed still died the first death...

Beware the One Who can kill the soul...not torment forever (destroying)...DESTROY...

preacherman57

You said:

everready
Hmmm, i fail to see how the words you highlight teach/show that man has immortality. Perhaps if it read, " Let us make man like us."
Well how about
Gen 3:22 And the Lord God said, "Behold, thr man is become as one of us (not in essence or diety) to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take ALSO OF THE TREE OF LIFE, AND EAT, AND LIVE FOREVER. ?
Obiviously, eating of the tree of life will grant a human eternal life. And no mortal has yet eaten of the tree of life,
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that have his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gate into the city.

Gen 2:7 says that God breathed into man and man became a "living soul". Nothing about "and man became an immortal being."

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof THOU SHALT SURELY DIE.
How can an immortal being ever die?

And as is the norm for this site, you simply ignore the verses I have shown. I don't get it. Do people actually believe that if they ignore verses they reject, that their rejection nullifies those verses? You act as if scripture contradicts scripture.

Can you, is it possible that you can answer one simple question? Not quoting me other verses, just answer this question, please?

Based on 1Tim 6:15-16,
Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of Kings, and Lord of lords..
WHO ONLY HATH IMMORALITY.
Let me repeat that last part:
WHO ONLY HATH IMMORALITY,

Who has immortality? Who ONLY has immortality. Please answer the question.
Because this clearly says that ONLY God has immortality. ONLY GOD HAS IMMORALITY.
I ask you yet again, based on God's word, who is the only being in the entire created universe and of all beings, that is immortal?
What does the bible say about immortality? In that who is immortal? Can you please answer me?

preacherman57

Greetings everready and Ask Mr. Religion, The rest of Genesis chapters 1-3 show that the image and likeness of God that Adam and Eve were created with was limited, in other words they were not made immortal. In the midst of the garden was the Tree of Life and after their transgression they were cast out of the garden so that they could not eat of the tree of life and thus live for ever.
Genesis 3:22-24 (KJV): 22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Even the sentence pronounced upon Adam indicates that he was not to live for ever, as he was to return to the dust.
Genesis 3:17-19 (KJV): 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
It does not say that their body would return to the dust, and your immortal soul will go to heaven or hell, but that Adam was made of the dust, and he would return to the dust.

You are correct. Our Lord was not annihilated. Why even suggest this? While Adam was sentenced to return to the dust because he sinned, and all his descendants have also come under this condition, our Lord was the exception. He did no sin, and while he died as the result of the crucifixion it clearly states that he saw no corruption, that is he did not return to the dust as did Adam. The process was halted and on the third day he was raised from the dead and given immortality.

Acts 2:22-31 (KJV): 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. 25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
The Bible teaching is the resurrection of the body, not immortal soulism.

Kind regards
Trevor
Well said Sir, a very good and accurate explanation. You used scriptures to answer and that is the only correct way to teach truth, by letting the verses speak for themselves. Again, wonderful instruction.

Zeke

"Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever. (Ezekiel 28:18-19)

No more forever? Annihilationism?
The old creation will be like a mist Hebrews 10:3, the dream of mortal thoughts/sleep will be annihilated by the immortal light Ephesians 5:14, all those haunting fears of death and the need to condemn the Father by absurd nightmarish behavior, will stay dead when the Christ mind is renewed John 17:5, all of mans theology is hogwash, fear based, soaked in fake concern for all men seeing some are just mindless fodder, to powerful for immortal grace or will to overcome , which makes all who claim to know that presence Luke 24:18, within and out and still believe in death are liars trying to hide their mortal beliefs and hidden doubts while still supporting the Jerusalem/mind of this world, trying to believe in Christ with those eyes while in outer darkness Galatians 4:1, Matthew 23:13, that's mans wondrous theology experts in dead letters still covered in the old creations mist, a horror in deed and thought Galatians 4:24.

ttruscott

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one OF us, to know good and evil:

Strong's Concordance: OF - 4480. min or minni or minne: from
Original Word: מִן
Part of Speech: Preposition
Short Definition: than
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
above, after, among, at, because of, by reason of, from among, in,

NAS Exhaustive Concordance: from

Brown-Driver-Briggs: "preposition expressing the idea of separation", hence out of, from, on account of, off, etc. with verbs expressing (or implying) separation or removal, whether from a person or place, or in any direction, also from guilt, calamity, etc. thus to descend from, the idea of separation, away from, far from, out of, out of Egypt or far from...

How the early Rabbis decided this preposition of separation was in this case one of inclusion would seem to have been a theologically driven use rather than a common usage of this word. In ordinary use, this preposition seems to say the man is become as one OUT FROM (AMONG) us, to know good and evil: rather than become as one OF us, knowing good and evil...a rather predictable statement about a sinner. Since 'knowing' contains the meaning of 'having a practical experience of,' I contend that GOD does not know any evil at all but knows all about it. Thus becoming like GOD by the practice of, the experience of evil is just plain wrong.

clefty

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one OF us, to know good and evil:

Strong's Concordance: OF - 4480. min or minni or minne: from
Original Word: מִן
Part of Speech: Preposition
Short Definition: than
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
above, after, among, at, because of, by reason of, from among, in,

NAS Exhaustive Concordance: from

Brown-Driver-Briggs: "preposition expressing the idea of separation", hence out of, from, on account of, off, etc. with verbs expressing (or implying) separation or removal, whether from a person or place, or in any direction, also from guilt, calamity, etc. thus to descend from, the idea of separation, away from, far from, out of, out of Egypt or far from...

How the early Rabbis decided this preposition of separation was in this case one of inclusion would seem to have been a theologically driven use rather than a common usage of this word. In ordinary use, this preposition seems to say the man is become as one OUT FROM (AMONG) us, to know good and evil: rather than become as one OF us, knowing good and evil...a rather predictable statement about a sinner. Since 'knowing' contains the meaning of 'having a practical experience of,' I contend that GOD does not know any evil at all but knows all about it. Thus becoming like GOD by the practice of, the experience of evil is just plain wrong.

How did Adam and Eve come to know “good and evil” from magic properties contained in the fruit?

Or from witnessing One cursing everything He had made and killing an innocent?

ttruscott

How did Adam and Eve come to know “good and evil” from magic properties contained in the fruit?

Or from witnessing One cursing everything He had made and killing an innocent?

Neither, before the creation of the physical universe all spirits made in HIS image were created with a free will and then, after maturing in their society, heard the gospel proclaimed Col 1:23 and made their free will choices to accept it or to reject it.

Adam and Eve accepted it and became elect but then Eve rebelled because some of Her friends (in point, the serpent) chose to reject YHWH and HIS promises and Adam rebelled as he was afraid to leave his good friend Eve to YHWH's tender mercy. This precipitated the postponement of the judgement and all sinners living together in the world as humans, Matt 13, the parable of the good but sinful seed in two parts.