Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEST QUOTES OF THE SHOW:

From caller pastor Aaron:
The youth groups are a product of churches responding to the baby boomers. When they were teenagers the churches responded with the intention that if we make a church for them, they'll stay in the church. Well, by and large, the baby boomers did not stay in the church. They left in droves. That model failed because success was determined more by a youth group culture. And we still see it today where if a kid goes to the Third Day concert, wears the WWJD bracelet and the right t-shirts well then he must be a good kid, he must be on track and he'll be fine and what happens is he graduates and you never see him again.
From caller pastor Aaron:
It is often not intentional but celebrated when the young Christian girl in the youth group is drawing in the boys. I've heard youth ministers before say, "Well, we're so glad we have her because she really gets them in." And then you hear things like, "Well, I know he's not good but at least he's coming."
Bob Enyart:
We don't really encourage our kids to get romantically involved and be dating unless they're of age where they can marry. If they can't get married then you don't want the kids in the church having romantic relationships. It's just not helpful.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"We don't really encourage our kids to get romantically involved and be dating unless they're of age where they can marry. If they can't get married then you don't want the kids in the church having romantic relationships. It's just not helpful."

Why not?

Lagardo

I think many Christians have begun to see that the negative effects of dating far outweigh any supposed benefit.

One of the best books on the subject is Joshua Harris' "I Kissed Dating Goodbye."

Its interesting that kids dating is just a natural, healthy occurance even though its a relatively new and somewhat unquestioned phenomenon.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by granite1010

"We don't really encourage our kids to get romantically involved and be dating unless they're of age where they can marry. If they can't get married then you don't want the kids in the church having romantic relationships. It's just not helpful."

Why not?
Because it is a bad idea to get into a serious relationship if you still need your mom to tell you to clean your room. Teens aren't mature enough to handle that kind of relationship and they may go through dozens of them. Dating and breaking up is painful at first but it gets easier everytime. Eventually it becomes the standard response to a problem in a relationship. Instead of trying to fix it, just walk away from it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Imrahil

Because it is a bad idea to get into a serious relationship if you still need your mom to tell you to clean your room. Teens aren't mature enough to handle that kind of relationship and they may go through dozens of them. Dating and breaking up is painful at first but it gets easier everytime. Eventually it becomes the standard response to a problem in a relationship. Instead of trying to fix it, just walk away from it.

In some instances I guess you have a point. On the other hand waiting until you're eighteen or nineteen just to on a date--a date, for crying out loud--might be a silly idea for the (rare) half-way mature teenager.

Lagardo

Paraphrasing the Josh Harris book: ( I don't have it here to get the exact words...forgive me)
"There is nothing wrong with a guy and a girl going out for coffee or bowling, but if that's all dating was, we wouldn't be writing books about it, would we?"

I don't see a problem with a guy and a girl going and doing something socially...i think a group is a better idea...less tempation (depending on the group, of course), but its the whole culture of "going out" that causes a lot of problems. We water down commitment with these uncommitted "relationships."

As with the youth group issue that started this thread, just because something is the way we've done it for a while (not always in either case), doesn't mean it must be ok.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Isn't it interesting that the only people who think dating is bad are the ones who can't get one?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by lighthouse

Isn't it interesting that the only people who think dating is bad are the ones who can't get one?
Do you think it's a good idea for people who are not of marrying age to get involved in romantic relationships? Note: I'm not saying anything about group dating. I'm talking about 2 16 year olds being alone together, unsupervised by an adult. Do you actually think that's a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Lagardo-
:chuckle:

Jefferson-
Learn how to recognize a joke. Granite got it. I do not think that two 16 year olds [boy and girl] being alone together is a good idea. And I think Josua Harris' book was great! Courtship is the way to go. And I think being friends is the best way to go. Although, being in a specific relationship, without "dating" is not something I have anything against. Maybe that's because I never had a girlfriend, after ninth grade.

Lagardo

I think a lot of people hear someone speak out against dating and don't realize there is an alternative. Maybe we'd be best to teach more on courtship and less on not dating. Or maybe that's just (as they say here in Arkansas) "six one way; half a dozen another."

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I've always wondered, why is it necessary to demonize dating? A date is simply an appointment with someone you're romantically interested in. You can date and still be following all of Joshua Harris's laws of courtship.

Lagardo

I think the distinction needs to be made here between a date and "dating." I say "dating" because I do think there is a problem with children and teens of having created a culture of dating that encourages kids to make a supposed commitment only to break it if one feels unhappy.

I would not object to teenagers going on dates, but I do object to this culture of dating. I think the lines have been blurred between the marriage commitment and "going out" to a point where marriage hardly means anything at all.

I guess it comes down to this: by repeatedly "going out" and "breaking up" are kids being more prepared for marriage or divorce?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not to mention sex, and what's happened to that. It's being turned into just some activity that people do, and has lost it's intimacy in the majority of today's culture. And people are "dating" and having sex with someone, then breaking up with them and moving on to "dating" someone else and having sex with them. It's sad, and disgusting.

firechyld

I've always wondered, why is it necessary to demonize dating? A date is simply an appointment with someone you're romantically interested in. You can date and still be following all of Joshua Harris's laws of courtship.

I concur.

I'm also bothered by the assumption that if teens are dating, then they are either already having sex or are about to.

"Dating" is not necessarily synonomous with "having sex".

As for the youth group thing, has anyone seen the episode of King Of the Hill where Bobby Hill joins a "cool" youth group?

This exchange occurs at the end of the episode:

BOBBY: When I turn 18, I'm going to do whatever I want for the Lord. Tattoos, piercings, you name it.
HANK: Well, I'll take that chance. Come here, there's something I want you to see. (Hank takes down a box from the shelf and opens it up) Remember this?
BOBBY: My beanbag buddy? Oh, man, I can't believe I collected those things. They're so lame.
HANK: You didn't think so five years ago. And how about your virtual pet? You used to carry this thing everywhere. Then you got tired of it, forgot to feed it, and it died.
BOBBY (looks at a photo of himself in a Ninja Turtles costume): I look like such a dork.
HANK: I know how you feel. I never thought that "Members Only" jacket would go out of style, but it did. I know you think stuff you're doing now is cool, but in a few years you're going to think it's lame. And I don't want the Lord to end up in this box.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My favorite part of that episode is when the youth pastor's dad, who is just like the youth pastor, reminds him...and Bobby...that honoring your parents is just as much a part of living the Chrisitan life as is worshipping God, and that when the "coolness" gets in the way of an actual relationship with God then it has become idolatry. The fact that a biker is such a devoted Christian gets Hank to reconsider his position as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.