ECT "Wash Away Thy Sins"

Jerry Shugart

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

In his commentary on this verse Sir Robert Anderson writes, "The Apostle records the words which Ananias addressed to him (Paul) at his conversion: 'Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord'...His meaning is clear: 'Arise and be baptized, and turn away from your evil courses, calling on His name'" [emphasis mine] (Anderson, The Bible or the Church? [London: Pickering & Inglis, Second Edition], 230-231).

That is the meaning of the words "ye washed yourselves" and "cleanse ourselves" in the following verses:

"And such were some of you: but ye washed yourselves, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God " (1 Cor.6:11; RV, Marginal Note).

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God " (2 Cor.7:1).

When a person submitted to the rite of the "baptism of repentance" he was pledging to repent from his past sinful life. And that is what was meant when Paul was told to wash away his sins.

Danoh

Three things, Jerry...

1- it appears you are saying that Paul preached water baptism.

2- you appear to have read a great many books on the various issues...

As a lover of all sorts of books on all sorts of areas in life in general, myself; I'm curious - how many books would you say you have read in your life, and how do you remember such great quotes?

3- when and how did you first come to hear of Mid-Acts Dispensationalism?

And what distinction or distinctions caused you to embrace Mid-Acts?

Thanks, be well.

beloved57

Christ when He died, shed His Blood, washed His People from their sins Rev 1:5

[FONT=&quot]And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Heb 1:3

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

In his commentary on this verse Sir Robert Anderson writes, "The Apostle records the words which Ananias addressed to him (Paul) at his conversion: 'Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord'...His meaning is clear: 'Arise and be baptized, and turn away from your evil courses, calling on His name'" [emphasis mine] (Anderson, The Bible or the Church? [London: Pickering & Inglis, Second Edition], 230-231).

That is the meaning of the words "ye washed yourselves" and "cleanse ourselves" in the following verses:

"And such were some of you: but ye washed yourselves, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God " (1 Cor.6:11; RV, Marginal Note).

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God " (2 Cor.7:1).

When a person submitted to the rite of the "baptism of repentance" he was pledging to repent from his past sinful life. And that is what was meant when Paul was told to wash away his sins.

Cleansing ourselves is something further to being cleansed from all past sin.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

LA

marhig

I believe that baptism by water is being washed in the word of God, hearing the word and once we believe, repent and through faith, we are forgiven of our past sins and we are receiving the holy spirit, but we are not yet born anew until we have the indwelling holy spirit in the heart. Hearing the word starts cleansing us from sin and as we listen and start to turn from sin and deny ourselves obeying the word of God, and once we truly give our hearts God, then we are baptised of the spirit, being blessed by the grace of God with the holy spirit direct in our heart, then the real cleansing begins, we then have rivers of living water within our hearts springing up every day, teaching us, guiding us and prompting us do what's right and to turn from sin through our conscience, giving us the strength to overcome by the grace of God though Christ.

Then the conversion, as we lay down our old life and it starts going and we are changed, being dead to our old ways, becoming a living sacrifice, we are a new creature with Christ manifest in our hearts living in us and though us and our old life has gone having been put to death and we are now born of God and walk in the spirit and we are brought from darkness into light, from death to life, and we then die daily to the sins of the flesh, through Christ by the holy spirit giving us the strength to overcome, if we keep our faith and obey the living God and turn from sin.

Ephesians 5

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;*That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,*That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish

We are cleansed from sin by the word of God through Christ.

Jesus came to bare witness to the truth, preaching the gospel, reconciling us to God through the word of reconciliation, and it's the truth that sets us free and the word of God cleanses us from sin, firstly outwardly when we hear and believe and we are reconciled to God, then inwardly through Christ by the spirit, and it's then we are changed and we are baptised by the spirit and with power. With the power to overcome and power to speak the word of God and bring the love of God and Christ to others being born anew living in a new and living way and truly following Christ Jesus.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
With the power to overcome and power to speak the word of God and bring the love of God and Christ to others being born anew living in a new and living way and truly following Christ Jesus.

If Vernon Howell were alive I'm sure he would agree.

Too bad Saul of Tarsus didn't know that all he had to do was hear God's word (of which he was a rabbi) to have have sins magically washed away.

marhig

If Vernon Howell were alive I'm sure he would agree.

Too bad Saul of Tarsus didn't know that all he had to do was hear God's word (of which he was a rabbi) to have have sins magically washed away.

I think you've got me wrong Jamie, I don't believe that we just hear the word of God and then we have our sins "magically" washed away. Jesus taught that the seed fell into good ground, so our heart has to be right when a hear the word, then once we believe and truly repent which I believe means to stop committing those sins, then our past sins are forgiven, we are then to turn from sin and obey the living God. So listening to the word cleanses our sins by teaching us to turn away from sin, without hearing the word of God I'd never have known the truth. And once we have the holy spirit within, God writes his laws upon our hearts and in our minds and teaches us everyday by the spirit what's right and wrong.

By the way, who's Vernon Howell?

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

it appears you are saying that Paul preached water baptism.

The words which I quoted were not Paul's, are they?

As a lover of all sorts of books on all sorts of areas in life in general, myself; I'm curious - how many books would you say you have read in your life, and how do you remember such great quotes?

I have been lucky in my life that I have not had to work to make a living for the last 40 years so I have had the time to read numerous books. I am sure that the number is well into the thousands.

when and how did you first come to hear of Mid-Acts Dispensationalism?

One of my college buddies came across Mid Acts 25 years ago and shared it with me. I was not even a Christian at that time but when I heard the gospel of grace preached in its purity I realized that there was hope for a sinner like me. And behold, I embraced that gospel and became saved. Praise the Lord!

And what distinction or distinctions caused you to embrace Mid-Acts?

I would say that it was the distinctions pointed out by Sir Robert Anderson in his wonderful book, The Silence of God.

Jerry Shugart

Cleansing ourselves is something further to being cleansed from all past sin.

Exactly!

When anyone submitted to the rite of water baptism he was pledging to change his life for the better. That is why John the Baptist said the following to the Pharisees and Sadducees:

"O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits befitting repentance " (Mt.3:7-8).

John the Baptist was telling them that since they were pledging to change their way of living then they should exhibit a real change in their lives. Here the Greek word translated "repentance" means "the change of mind of those who have begun to abhor their errors and misdeeds, and have determined to enter upon a better course of life, so that it embraces both a recognition of sin and sorrow for it and hearty amendment, the tokens and effects which are good deeds...Mt. iii. 8" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Therefore we can understand that those who were baptized with water were to have a change of mind in regard to their sinful lifestyle and were pledging to change their life for the better and in return the Lord would cleanse them from all their sins.

Jerry Shugart

I believe that baptism by water is being washed in the word of God, hearing the word and once we believe, repent and through faith, we are forgiven of our past sins and we are receiving the holy spirit, but we are not yet born anew until we have the indwelling holy spirit in the heart.

Let me begin with these comments of yours. It seems to me that at the time the rite of water baptism was in order those who partook of that rite were born of God or born anew before they were baptized with water.

We do know that before a person could be baptized with water that person must first believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).

Before the eunuch was baptized with water he was already "born of God" because he believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God..For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,4-5).

There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" or born anew the moment he believed the good news or gospel which declares that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.

Danoh

Exactly!

When anyone submitted to the rite of water baptism he was pledging to change his life for the better. That is why John the Baptist said the following to the Pharisees and Sadducees:

"O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits befitting repentance " (Mt.3:7-8).

John the Baptist was telling them that since they were pledging to change their way of living then they should exhibit a real change in their lives. Here the Greek word translated "repentance" means "the change of mind of those who have begun to abhor their errors and misdeeds, and have determined to enter upon a better course of life, so that it embraces both a recognition of sin and sorrow for it and hearty amendment, the tokens and effects which are good deeds...Mt. iii. 8" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Therefore we can understand that those who were baptized with water were to have a change of mind in regard to their sinful lifestyle and were pledging to change their life for the better and in return the Lord would cleanse them from all their sins.

Nope.

John was telling those Pharisees to put their money where their mouth was and submit to his baptism.

He was reading them the riot act, so to speak.

He well knew they trusted in their hypocrisy as they stood their looking down their noses at this would be usurper to their self-deluded walking in the Law as pleasing men, not as pleasing God.

Their's was the same "we have Abraham as our father...we have Moses...you are nobody" that the Lord also encountered in said hypocrites.

Matthew 3:4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey. 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Note....

3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

They were just standing there; looking down their noses at him. At which point, he added to his yelling over at them...

3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

The Lord had also encountered said same resistance...

John 8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

Luke 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

But, I'll give you the last word on this one - should you not see the above; I'm fine with that.

musterion

Nope.

John was telling those Pharisees to put their money where their mouth was and submit to his baptism.

Yup. That's why they didn't ask him what he was doing -- they knew exactly what it was about. They asked him by whose authority he was doing it (John 1:24-25).

Jerry Shugart

3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

You just skipped over this verse,the very verse which I quoted.

Again, John the Baptist was telling them that since they were pledging to change their way of living then they should exhibit a real change in their lives. Here the Greek word translated "repentance" means "the change of mind of those who have begun to abhor their errors and misdeeds, and have determined to enter upon a better course of life, so that it embraces both a recognition of sin and sorrow for it and hearty amendment, the tokens and effects which are good deeds...Mt. iii. 8" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

marhig

Let me begin with these comments of yours. It seems to me that at the time the rite of water baptism was in order those who partook of that rite were born of God or born anew before they were baptized with water.

We do know that before a person could be baptized with water that person must first believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).

Before the eunuch was baptized with water he was already "born of God" because he believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God..For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,4-5).

There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" or born anew the moment he believed the good news or gospel which declares that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.

We not born anew until we have the indwelling holy spirit in our heart. Then we are born not of flesh but of the spirit, we are then born of God.

marhig

Vernon Howell was known to the media by an assumed name, David Koresh.

Howell very much believed in Jesus Christ and was willing to die for his belief.

Taking our own life is a sin before God. The right death is to lay down our lives and deny ourselves, and by the spirit die the death which is death to self will, and once the lusts of the flesh are gone and we walk in the spirit and live it out and live by the will of God, we then glorify God and follow Jesus.

John 21

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.

Jerry Shugart

We not born anew until we have the indwelling holy spirit in our heart. Then we are born not of flesh but of the spirit, we are then born of God.

It is evident that a person receives life when they believe and that happens when one is born of God:

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:11-13).

turbosixx

Why did he still have sins before his baptism?