Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
U.S. Study Recommends Spanking

This is the show from Wednesday January 6th, 2010.

SUMMARY:

* New Study on Spanking: Spanked kids are happier kids, and become happier and more successful adults. A major U.S. study conducted by the University of Notre Dame confirms the BEL position of the last 20 years, which is the biblical position, which unequivocally supports spanking!

* Global Warming Update: Much of the world is in a deep freeze breaking cold and snow records.

* Come Out to Your Local March for Life: Whatever state you live in, please come to the March for Life. If you're in Colorado, then you are cordially invited to Colorado's 2010 March for Life on the steps of the Capitol downtown at noon on Friday, January 22, 2010! Come on out. We'll have a FABULOUS TIME of fellowship!

* The Personhood Movement Has Exploded Into 40 States! So please help the state personhood efforts get the signatures they need to re-criminalize abortion! If you live in:

Colorado: could you help circulate the Personhood Colorado & Colorado RTL 2010 petition? If so, just click or call 303-753-9394.
California: please visit the CA Human Life Amendment site to get a petition and start collecting signature for the Lord and for the innocent child!
Any Other State: If you live in any other state, can you help to advance personhood via the 2010 ballot or in one of three different ways?

We all need your help!

Today's Resource: Please consider emailing this helpful description of Focus on the Strategy II to another Christian who may be an asset in the personhood movement after viewing this groundbreaking DVD!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I too advocate spanking as I said long ago, not a beating, but mild controlled of spanking your children.

Thunder's Muse

I was spanked as a child, as most people my age were. Although I have spanked my children on occasion, it's not something I like to do or resort to very often.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Old Man tanned the hyde. I love him for it. This reminds me, is Retard77 around? His dad is a sissy, by his own admission.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In addition to rod of correction driving children's hearts from foolishness, here is some more.

Proverbs 3

11 My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor detest His correction; 12 For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

bybee

Yup

Yup

In addition to rod of correction driving children's hearts from foolishness, here is some more.

Proverbs 3

11 My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor detest His correction; 12 For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

It is a simple thing, really. I did strive to teach my children (all five of them) what they needed to know in order to survive in the midst of a rather dangerous world. Small children thrive with security and love and knowing what is expected of them as well as that which will not be tolerated. Some lessons required that the "wooden spoon of justice" be displayed prominently on the kitchen table. I used humor to help defuse less serious transgressions but issues of safety or morality were dealt with forthwith in all seriousness. Of course love is always the underlying principle. peace, bybee

Aimiel

I spanked all six of my kids. My parents loved me, too. I sure hope my kids will spank theirs.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a simple thing, really. I did strive to teach my children (all five of them) what they needed to know in order to survive in the midst of a rather dangerous world. Small children thrive with security and love and knowing what is expected of them as well as that which will not be tolerated. Some lessons required that the "wooden spoon of justice" be displayed prominently on the kitchen table. I used humor to help defuse less serious transgressions but issues of safety or morality were dealt with forthwith in all seriousness. Of course love is always the underlying principle. peace, bybee

Sounds largely ineffective. Her best weapon was "I'm telling your father".

PDeverit

Letter of the law or spirit of the law?

Letter of the law or spirit of the law?

Spirit of the law or letter of the law?: The vast majority of professionals agree that child bottom-battering/slapping isn’t healthy. A marginal few (mostly religious fundamentalists as those at Calvin) think that child bottom-slapping is good. They use the same selective literalist interpretation of the Bible as was used to justify “witch”-burning, depraved torture methods for those accused of sin and heresy, slavery, racism, wife-beating, oppression of women and a host of other social ills.

"The much-touted 'biblical argument' in support of corporal punishment is founded upon proof-texting a few isolated passages from Proverbs. Using the same method of selective scripture reading, one could also cite the Bible as an authority for the practice of slavery, adultery, polygamy, incest, suppression of women, executing people who eat pork, and infanticide. The brutal and vindictive practice of corporal punishment cannot be reconciled with the major New Testament themes that teach love and forgiveness and a respect for the sacredness and dignity of children, and which overwhelmingly reject violence and retribution as a means of solving human problems. Would Jesus ever hit a child? NEVER!"
The Rev. Thomas E. Sagendorf, United Methodist Clergy (Retired), Hamilton, Indiana. Personal communication, 2006.

PDeverit

"Spanked" adults, military trainees, prisoners

"Spanked" adults, military trainees, prisoners

People used to think it was necessary to "spank" adult members of the community, military trainees, and prisoners. In some countries they still do. In our country, it is considered sexual assault if a person over the age of 18 is "spanked", but only if over the age of 18.

For one thing, buttock-battering can vibrate the pudendal nerve, which can lead to sexual arousal. There are multitudinous other physiological ways in which it can be sexually abusive, but I won't list them all here. One can use the resources I've posted if they want to learn more.

Child bottom-battering/slapping vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child bottom-battering (euphemistically labeled "spanking","swatting","switching","smacking", "paddling",or other cute-sounding names) for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit www.nospank.net.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
American Psychological Association,
Center For Effective Discipline,
Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no spaking in military trainees. Spanking is punishment for wrong doing. Military trainees are going to get "punished" whether they do wrong or not. It has nothing to do with performance instruction.

This Charming Manc

I'm actually pro spanking ..... but the line was to good to miss.

However im against 'trashing', 'beating' or a 'good hiding'. I can't imagine wanting to that to my kids anyway.

Exactly. While I was unworthy of eternal life on my own, he taught me right from wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.