Turbo's pick 11/16/2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
I have been a Baptist for most of my life, so I will try to shed some light about why Baptists (some of them) believe that wine in the Bible is translated as unfermented grape juice. And why they believe that drinking alcohol is a sin.

1. They believe that drinking alcohol is a sin and that Jesus never sinned, therefore didn't drink fermented wine. (perhaps He didn't so as not to, in any way, impair His thinking.)
2. Since Jesus never sinned, He would not tempt others to do so, therefore the "water into wine" was not fermented.

Here are a few verses that would seem to back up the "alcohol is a sin" arguement.:think:

Genesis 9:20-22 (21st Century King James Version)

21st Century King James Version (KJ21) Copyright © 1994 by Deuel Enterprises, Inc.

20And Noah began to be a husbandman, and he planted a vineyard.

21And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
22And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brethren outside.

Habakkuk 2:14-16 (21st Century King James Version)

21st Century King James Version (KJ21) Copyright © 1994 by Deuel Enterprises, Inc.

14For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

15"Woe unto him that giveth his neighbor drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on his nakedness!
16Thou art filled with the shame for glory; drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered. The cup of the LORD'S right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing shall be on thy glory.

Luke 12:44-46 (The Message)

The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

43 -44He is a blessed man if when the master shows up he's doing his job. 45But if he says to himself, "The master is certainly taking his time,' begins maltreating the servants and maids, throws parties for his friends, and gets drunk, 46the master will walk in when he least expects it, give him the thrashing of his life, and put him back in the kitchen peeling potatoes.

Galatians 5:21 (21st Century King James Version)

21envying, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like. About these things I tell you again, as I have also told you in times past, that those who do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God.

But as I grew up, I began to realize that those passages seem to be saying that being drunk is the sin. In order to get drunk, you would have to over-indulge. The Bible lists gluttony as one of the 7 deadly sins, but you don't hear them calling for Christians to abstain from eating! Many Southern Baptist churches (including mine) have pot luck meals after service (5th Sunday) that we call fellowship!
The Bible seems to state that fermented wine is used in Feast Celebrations as well as for medicinal purposes.

1 Timothy 5:23
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thy frequent infirmities.

Deuteronomy 16:13
"Thou shalt observe the Feast of Tabernacles seven days, after thou hast gathered in thy corn and thy wine;
Ecclesiastes 10:19
A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry:
Deuteronomy 14:26 (New King James Version)

New King James Version (NKJV) Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

26 And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

But doesn't this say it all?
Proverbs 16:32
Moderation is better than muscle, self-control better than political power.

There could be more, but I am trying my best not to be long winded.............oh wait.............too late! :chuckle:
Anyway, I think that about covers it. Sorry it's soooooooo long!:eek:

:first:

[CONTEXT]

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Proverbs 31:6
Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to those who are bitter of heart.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Agape4Robin said:
Thank you!:emarie: I'm soooooooooooo excited! This really is an honor for me! My first POTD!!!!!!
:doh:

Now I really feel bad for not having given you POTD myself! I almost did but just didn't! I don't know why. I was just being lazy, I guess. :Clete: :down:

At any rate, congratulations on your first POTD! Getting them never gets old! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.