Trump conquered a Kentucky county that has voted democrat for 144 years

jeffblue101

Trump conquered a Kentucky county that has voted democrat for 144 years, which was the longest streak of victories for any U.S. county for the democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_County,_Kentucky
Elliott County had voted for the Democratic Party's nominee in every presidential election since it was formed in 1869, up until the 2016 presidential election when it voted 70-26 in favor of Donald Trump.[8] This was the longest streak of any county voting Democratic in the United States.[9] It was also the last Southern rural county to have never to vote for a Republican in any Presidential election until 2016.[8] Even in nationwide Republican landslides like 1972 and 1984, when Republicans were winning the state of Kentucky overall with more than 60% of the vote, Elliot County voted 65.3% and 73.4% Democratic, respectively...

As of 2014, Elliott County had the fewest number of registered Republicans, 248, out of all counties in Kentucky.[12] By 2016, it had increased to 429, out of 5,214 registered voters.[8]

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/09/polit...cky-democratic-streak-broken-by-donald-trump/
The basic makeup of Elliott County -- nearly 100% white, one-third in poverty and land-locked by deeply conservative counties -- belies a truly incredible fact: It has never once voted for a Republican for president. No county in America has a Democratic streak as long as this improbable one in eastern Kentucky, which started voting for Democrats back when being a Democrat was an entirely different thing.

Consider it: They voted for Barack Obama twice, for Bill Clinton twice, and a combined six times against George W. Bush, his father and Ronald Reagan.

It's not the kind of big county that will swing elections. There are just 4,581 registered Democrats in Elliott County. They far outnumber the 429 registered Republicans. They are either the greatest political anomaly in the country, or they value tradition so much that they resisted the countless generational and political shifts of the 147 years since the county's founding.

Never mind all of that — they voted for Donald Trump 70%-26%.

this is a place where tradition rules -- where folks inherit their family's politics along with the land.
"When my daddy took me to register to vote, he said, 'I'm not going to tell you how to vote,' but he said, 'Our family has always been Democratic,'" said Judy Pennington, 71, in the diner she and her husband opened here more than four decades ago. "I knew then: Vote Democrat."

And so it goes here in town. People can trace their Democratic roots back two generations to their fathers and grandfathers, many of whom had never received a paycheck until they were hired by Franklin Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration in the mid-1930s.

It also helps that the top Democrat in the Statehouse is a hometown kid.
Rocky Adkins, now Minority Leader after Democrats lost 17 seats in the chamber,...

Despite Trump's 44-point victory in Elliott County, Adkins, the Democrat, won 85% of the vote

They don't love Trump, necessarily,...

Trump is an outsider, they say, who will shake things up in an inward-looking Washington that has forgotten about them.

"When Donald Trump said he was for the little people, I thought he was talking to me," Pennington said. "That's when he got my vote.

Gene Johnson, a retired carpenter... said that despite his lifelong affiliation as a Democrat, he couldn't bring himself to vote for Hillary Clinton."I didn't particularly care for either one of them, but ... I thought Trump would make a better president," Johnson said. "I didn't think either one of them ... should be president. I didn't think either one was qualified enough. Hillary, some of the things that she stood for, especially abortion, our Second Amendment, I didn't -- I couldn't vote for her especially (because of) that."

"I want (Trump) to bring coal back so people have jobs and everything," said Dale Adkins, a lifelong Democrat. "Hillary want(ed) to do away with everything." "Bill Clinton was a pretty good president," Adkins added. "But I didn't think his wife was gonna amount to nothing so I didn't vote for her."

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Trump conquered a Kentucky county that has voted democrat for 144 years, which was the longest streak of victories for any U.S. county for the democrats.

Doesn't it make you feel warm and cozy inside knowing that you and people who have voted pro abortion for the past 40+ years are now allies Jeffrey?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
A 0.7% majority is not really a majority- it's a straight up divided nation, and that is why the Electoral College is important. You think you know better than the Founding Fathers, but you don't :nono:

This country was built to resist many forms of tyranny, including a majority influenced by crooks. If one wins the popular vote and yet loses the electoral vote by such a staggering degree, it's a sign that there is something simply wrong with that influence.

And indeed there was- a mass brainwashing.

It's time to move to the grownups table and stop acting like such a tiny difference should be what this country decides it's future on.

Alate_One

A 0.7% majority is not really a majority- it's a straight up divided nation, and that is why the Electoral College is important. You think you know better than the Founding Fathers, but you don't :nono:

I do know better than the founding fathers on one issue. I don't think that persons of color are worth 3/5 of a person. I think one *person* one vote is fair no matter if it's a woman or man without land and regardless of their skin color.

Alate_One

The whole country shouldnt be decided by new york and california
It wouldn't be. There are republicans in California and democrats in Kansas and Texas, and quite a few of them. With the current system people in Wyoming has almost 6x the voting power of someone in California. And if you're a republican in a "blue" state you may as well not bother voting for president. That's inherently unfair. National popular vote would mean everyone's vote counts the same, rather than the handful of "swing" states. California and New York indeed have huge populations, but the entire state doesn't all vote the same way, contrary to popular belief.