toldailytopic: Your living will. Pull the plug or remain sustained? How would you wan

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 5th, 2012 09:45 AM

toldailytopic: Your living will. Pull the plug or remain sustained? How would you want to be handled in the unfortunate event you ended up on life support?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

toldailytopic: Your living will. Pull the plug or remain sustained? How would you want to be handled in the unfortunate event you ended up on life support?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I've thought about this a good deal. If, there was no chance of quality brain activity I would say "No Heroics".
I'd not ask anyone to pull the plug. Rather, do not plug me in in the first place.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
IF there were no possibility of recovering enough to be able to live a life without machines, high medical costs and emotional stress for my children, I would have them pull the plug.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
My Mom always said that when her mind wasn't there, she didn't want to be here, either.

I think that's the point. She was lucid and working right up to the end. Her last words, were "I'm fine", and she was as aware as she ever was, although her body was shutting down everywhere else.

I thank God for that. It's the way she wanted to go.

I hope that's what happens with me, too. If there's no hope of coming back as a conscious person, what is the point? Bybee is right. Don't even put the plug in, if there's nothing to be gained but a few more heartbeats.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Your living will.
Pull the plug or remain sustained?
How would you want to be handled in the unfortunate event you ended up on life support?

Given the condition of our lungs, we have standing orders in place. We've seen some really sad cases of people who had severe respiratory problems being kept on life support, we both agreed that we'll not do that. We both are currently at stage 4 COPD, with a lung capacity of less than 24% (Psalmist) and 22% (Mrs Psalmist).

If there is no possible way to recover, after 14 days we have written instructions that all life support be turned off, and all other actions cease. Life on life support is no life at all.

If we would suddenly lose consciousness and stop breathing and are not responding to the CPR measures we also have a DNR in place.

I think it's a good thing to have something in place, ours is with 5 Wishes.

No I'm not pitch salesman for for 5 Wishes.

bybee

toldailytopic: Your living will.
Pull the plug or remain sustained?
How would you want to be handled in the unfortunate event you ended up on life support?

Given the condition of our lungs, we have standing orders in place. We've seen some really sad cases of people who had severe respiratory problems being kept on life support, we both agreed that we'll not do that. We both are currently at stage 4 COPD, with a lung capacity of less than 24% (Psalmist) and 22% (Mrs Psalmist).

If there is no possible way to recover, after 14 days we have written instructions that all life support be turned off, and all other actions cease. Life on life support is no life at all.

If we would suddenly lose consciousness and stop breathing and are not responding to the CPR measures we also have a DNR in place.

No I'm not pitch salesman for for 5 Wishes.

My friends, I pray for both of you. COPD is tough.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

The best thing you can do for your loved ones is have a directive in place so they don't have to agonize over what you'd want them to do if you're unable to tell them. I know this from experience.

And increasingly, medical personnel are putting the decision to end a life in the hands of family. This is a very significant development. I've heard from trusted friends how they were handed powerful drugs in suppository or patch form and told something to the effect of "when you think it's time..."

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The best thing you can do for your loved ones is have a directive in place so they don't have to agonize over what you'd want them to do if you're unable to tell them. I know this from experience.

And increasingly, medical personnel are putting the decision to end a life in the hands of family. This is a very significant development. I've heard from trusted friends how they were handed powerful drugs in suppository or patch form and told something to the effect of "when you think it's time..."
I have asked those who about to face that issue with a family member, "What would you want?" Sometimes that helps.

I would not leave advanced directives to any of our family members, as well as final arrangements, those things can be taken care of, people have to get passed the, "I'll do it some day" and "I've been thinking about it." Believe as a funeral director and funeral arranger (retired) it's heart breaking to see those plan a funeral/memorial/graveside service for a loved who has died and there is nothing in place. The least a person can do is put something down in writing so some of the agony and despair is relieved.

Most funeral homes, I lean toward the independents, will keep an unpaid pre-need funeral arrangement hand for a person and that's helpful, You can also get a booklet and fill it out and keep where the family can get a hold of in an at-need situation.

Being in the nursing home ministry we know of that. There is also the morphine drip for those hospice care. The end of life situation for healthcare will change even more as we near 2013-2014.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Depends: If there is consciousness or brain activity, then keep me alive. If I am brain dead, then is there no need to support the body.

Quincy

Wow, a very sensitive subject. I can understand why some would want to have the chance to live on and I understand why some wouldn't want to take the risk.

In my family there is a lot of mental diseases, first documented with my great aunt. Those of us that suffer them have no intentions of ever being put on a machine once our minds go. That includes me.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber

All things considered...I do not wish to be plugged in in the first place.

But in case some fool plugs me in before they are aware of my directives...Unplug me!

I fully agree with Psalmist, life on life support is no life at all.

My son is aware of my wishes and agrees with me and is in possession of my papers as well as the state and my doctor.

oldhermit

All my life I have endevored to trust the Lord in all things. I would hope that I would be willing to entrust my life to him rather than the medical profession. The Lord will determine when it is time for me to depart this life. I have no desire to be kept alive through artificial means.

IMJerusha

After seeing how my family betrayed my parent's trust in them, my husband and I have chosen to leave to God the things that are His. Every moment of our lives are His to control.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

If they put me on machines I'm waking up long enough to beat someone senseless.

I've thought about this a good deal. If, there was no chance of quality brain activity I would say "No Heroics".
I'd not ask anyone to pull the plug. Rather, do not plug me in in the first place.
Agreed.

Depends: If there is consciousness or brain activity, then keep me alive. If I am brain dead, then is there no need to support the body.
If I can't live without being hooked up to machines then let me die.

Wow, a very sensitive subject. I can understand why some would want to have the chance to live on and I understand why some wouldn't want to take the risk.

In my family there is a lot of mental diseases, first documented with my great aunt. Those of us that suffer them have no intentions of ever being put on a machine once our minds go. That includes me.
When your mind goes?

:eek:

Breathe

Give me a week, and do everything you can to bring me back. If it doesn't work, give me to the Lord.

EnterSaint

I'm too young to think about things like this.

I agree with all the above: if my brain isn't there, life support is a waste.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I have no problem with pulling the "plug"! I have a major problem with pulling the feeding tube!
It's OK to let a dying person die. It's not OK to kill them.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If they put me on machines I'm waking up long enough to beat someone senseless.

You are aware that there are a lot of people walking around just fine, that have been on a respirator for a short time? Machines can be a good thing to use while your body has a chance to heal.