toldailytopic: What does Thanksgiving mean to you? And how does you family celebrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 25th, 2010 09:36 AM

toldailytopic: What does Thanksgiving mean to you? And how does you family celebrate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Typically before we eat any of our Thanksgiving meal, we go around the table and express things for which we are grateful from the previous year.

I know this isn't particularly unique to our family, but my children love it!

Over the years I have heard my children express their thanks for the following:

Jesus Christ

Our dogs

Food

A warm home

Spongebob Squarepants

Candy

Pumpkin pie

Walks in the desert

Cockroaches (?? I am not sure why this one, particularly, other than my daughter said "they look so sad.")

Family

Pretty trees

and more pumpkin pie...

Nydhogg

Well, it would be pointless to thank the Gods for the Harvest. That's what Winter Nights is for. And it would be pointless to ask for their blessings for another year, that's what Yule is for.

So I don't normally celebrate Thanksgiving. When I'm stateside, yup. My family forces me to go eat turkey and see all of them. But when I'm away I don't.

Anyway, this year I wouldn't go. Grandma supports the Montana GOP platform, which advocates for re-criminalizing sodomy. We're not exactly on speaking terms.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
this is my favorite holiday
family, food, friends, football, and beer
mashed potatoes and gravy
stuffing, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie
but
the best part is the turkey sandwiches later in the day

WizardofOz

Today is also my oldest sons birthday; I am thankful for my family. I will also be thankful when I am done with work so I can go see them!

:cheers::TomO:
^ How we celebrate

Dena

Spending time with family. This year we have more people present than usual. My cousin and her daughters came in from Texas. My aunt's son and his family are driving them over here from Indiana and I imagine my other cousin will be there to see them. Unfortunately, my husband and I know this will probably be the last Holiday we spend with my uncle and may be the last time we see him (he has Leukemia that can no longer be treated). Okay, I'm going to cry now. But anyway, yeah, I'm happy I get to be with them all today. I better go get ready to leave!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Today is also my oldest sons birthday; I am thankful for my family. I will also be thankful when I am done with work so I can go see them!

:cheers::TomO:
^ How we celebrate

Hey Wiz. Today's my birthday, too!
I was born on Thanksgiving Day.

Happy Birthday to your son!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It means reflecting on what I'm most thankful for (family is especially precious to me this year) and we celebrate with food, family, friends, and football.

Let the festivities begin!! :chew:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
It means reflecting on what I'm most thankful for (family is especially precious to me this year) and we celebrate with food, family, friends, and football.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Poly sure looks different with blonde hair!:plain:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

BTW...This has nothing to do with this thread particularly (ok, not at all...so I apologize), but your avatar made me think about Zooey Deschanel's voice in Elf. I do not know if it was actually her singing (I believe it was), but it was very good! It reminded me of the style of the 1940s.

I guess I can say that I'm thankful for good singers!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
BTW...This has nothing to do with this thread particularly (ok, not at all...so I apologize), but your avatar made me think about Zooey Deschanel's voice in Elf. I do not know if it was actually her singing (I believe it was), but it was very good! It reminded me of the style of the 1940s.

I like Zooey's voice, too. She sings regularly. She has a band.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, it would be pointless to thank the Gods for the Harvest. That's what Winter Nights is for. And it would be pointless to ask for their blessings for another year, that's what Yule is for.

So I don't normally celebrate Thanksgiving. When I'm stateside, yup. My family forces me to go eat turkey and see all of them. But when I'm away I don't.

Anyway, this year I wouldn't go. Grandma supports the Montana GOP platform, which advocates for re-criminalizing sodomy. We're not exactly on speaking terms.
Gee, what a barrel of fun you are. :plain:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Zooey Deschanel teamed up with my favorite artist M. Ward and created an incredible couple of CD's under the name She & Him.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For me, Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday) is a special time for family to come together for one day of the year and spend quality time together.

By quality time, I mean focusing on the positive and how fortunate we are to have another Thanksgiving to spend together.

We are having a rather different tradition this year because we will be celebrating tomorrow when my two kids are off work so they can enjoy the day from morning till bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.