toldailytopic: What does God want from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 22nd, 2010 01:11 PM

toldailytopic: What does God want from me?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Actually, God does not "want" for anything.

But God WILLS that I, a Christian believer, should love Him with all my mind, heart, and soul . . . which requires a total submission on my part, of my will to His will.

Nang

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
GOD wants me to believe HIM.
I don't mean, believe in HIS existence, which of course is prerequisite: Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
I mean, to believe what HE says.
If you think about it, this whole saga began with GOD saying to Adam/Heb.-man, "If you eat of the tree, you will die". Then it's like implied, "Adam, do you believe me?"
This question is involved from the beginning and carries right on through scripture.
Now, it's, "I sent my Son, HE paid the penalty for your sins. Do you believe me?"
After one believes HIM for that it's, "I will supply all of your 'needs' according to my riches in glory. Do you believe me?"
GOD has promised us many things.
HE wants us to believe HIM?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, God does not "want" for anything.

Nang

1 Timothy 2:4
who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Once again, Nang goes against God and his Bible. Just like satan himself does.

2 Peter 3
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

So we have a successful rebuke of Nang, and the answer to Knights question all in one. He desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth. And he desires (wills) not that anybody should perish.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
1 Timothy 2:4
who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Once again, Nang goes against God and his Bible. Just like satan himself does.

2 Peter 3
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

So we have a successful rebuke of Nang, and the answer to Knights question all in one. He desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth. And he desires (wills) not that anybody should perish.

Pointing out the difference between "wanting" and "willing" does not make me a "demonic liar" or warrant another nasty neg rep from you, NickM.

The very verses you post do not use the word "want" in conjunction with God.

The usage of the word "desire" reflects the heart motives and will of God . . . not any "wants."

To my mind, wanting something infers needing something or expressing a lack of something.

Since you accuse me of posting against Scripture, can you produce any Scripture that speaks of God wanting or needing anything He supposedly lacks?

If you can, I will stand properly corrected.

John Ladder

Relation and union are necessary but perhaps not sufficient.

God does not merely want, but requires.

Obedience is what God demands. Obedience in following His Son.

Luke 6:46-48 -- "Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? Everyone who comes to Me, and hears My words, and acts upon them, I will show you whom he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation upon the rock; and when a flood rose, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.

John 14:23-24 -- Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nag, if God didn't want anything, he wouldn't have created a universe of beings and give them a choice to love him back.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nag, if God didn't want anything, he wouldn't have created a universe of beings and give them a choice to love him back.

Negative Nick,

God did not give Adam a "choice" to love Him.

God never gave Adam the freedom to NOT love and obey Him.

Adam simply demonstrated he did not love God enough to obey Him.

Ponder on those actual facts for at least ten years . . . and then get back to us as to how all this pertains to God "wanting" anything.

Nang

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" (Matthew 22:36-39).

Nang

TOL Subscriber
"Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" (Matthew 22:36-39).

Right.

God does not "want."

God wills and commands that His will be done.

John Ladder

Look how Traditio would send us to Plotinus instead of Christ.

Clearly, Romanism is a major distraction to fellowship with the Father.

God so loved the world that He sent His Son, that we might believe and obey Him>

ShadowMaid

Right.

God does not "want."

To say that God does not want, is to say that God has everything He could desire.

And yet God desires that humans come to know Him better, and to have a closer relationship with him. (As previously posted by Nick.)

God wills and commands that His will be done.

If he wills and commands His will to be done, yet there is a choice as to whether that will does get done, that says the same thing as God "wants" His will to be done, which again, I quote Nick.

(And my opinion is the same as Nick's, Town Heretic's, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.