toldailytopic: What did you think of last night's GOP debate?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 8th, 2011 09:38 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I wanted to see it but only saw about 20 minutes. I saw Paul have a bad moment. Newt have a good one. And Perry get ripped up on the HPV thing.

WizardofOz

I watched about 20 minutes of it streaming on MSN.

Newt did a good job of painting Obama as the common enemy rather than allow moderators to bait candidates into infighting (although that is kind of what they're there for). He was the most "authoritative" in my view.

Perry held his own and I actually like a lot of what he had to say. He is very much on the "state's-rights" boat and I like that.

Bachmann was horrible. All she could talk about was Obama-care and for her to even say "as your president I would" just made me laugh. She should worry about a nomination first.

Everyone kind of piled on Romney-care, although he too spoke out against Obama-care. That issue alone might kill his chances if the GOP wants a anti-Obama-care platform candidate.

There were other fringe candidates, none who stuck out other than Ron Paul (of course). He was again the lone-wolf on most issues. He obviously knows the most about economics and is the only one willing to rock the establishment boat other than perhaps Perry.

I like Ron Paul the best out of them all, but I'd say Gingrich was the winner from a GOP standpoint.

Alate_One

My opinion: Virtually all crazy, save maybe Romney and Huntsman. Huntsman was the only one to emphatically state that he trusts science. Same old assertions about jobs, that reducing regulation and taxes will magically grow the economy.

From an extreme Republican perspective I would think the only one that came off strong was Ron Paul.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I put detailed comments on my "Sorry Lot" thread but to sum up: Perry held his own, the crowd disgusted me, Romney looks like a president, and Bachmann looked lost. The nomination is Perry's to lose.

That really hurt to type.

Ps82

I watched. I like the way Newt handles the moderators ... who try to bate the candidates in order to create a show and stir up some news to bolster ratings.

I'm a voting conservative, so I like some of them and have only marked out a couple so far. The good news is that I would prefer any one of them over any Dem.

I'm really disappointed in how few here at TOL either did not watch it or just seem uninterested. Hoping that they will also forget to vote.

drbrumley

My opinion: Virtually all crazy, save maybe Romney and Huntsman. Huntsman was the only one to emphatically state that he trusts science. Same old assertions about jobs, that reducing regulation and taxes will magically grow the economy.

From an extreme Republican perspective I would think the only one that came off strong was Ron Paul.

:rotfl: Extreme Republicans he says......

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What debate?

It was more like an inquisition.

The addition of an in-your-face questioner (Latino) asking about illegal immigration was pure show-biz.

Nang

IXOYE

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 8th, 2011 09:38 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The eyes of Texas are upon you!

Alate_One

What debate?

It was more like an inquisition.

The addition of an in-your-face questioner (Latino) asking about illegal immigration was pure show-biz.

Nang

That part was a breath of fresh air. Moderators actually asking tough questions and pressing for actual *ANSWERS*? Amazing.

Ps82

I like Cain's 9-9-9 plan.

I've met Mr. Cain. He is a very nice man and a very popular speaker in our area. My husband and I have enjoyed a Christmas dinner party with him. I also have not ruled him out of the group. Maybe what we need is a common sense man with a common sense approach ... but I'm still listening to and watching a number of them.