toldailytopic: What among your beliefs about God have changed over time, and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 25th, 2011 08:51 AM

toldailytopic: What among your beliefs about God have changed over time, and how?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

john w

Hall of Fame
In former days, I asserted that he has not answered me re. the question, "Where was God when(fill in the blank of any tragedy)happened.....How could the LORD God let this happen....?, and all that jazz, or that He owes me any explanation, or further clarification.

bybee

In former days, I asserted that he has not answered me re. the question, "Where was God when(fill in the blank of any tragedy)happened.....How could the LORD God let this happen....?, and all that jazz, or that He owes me any explanation, or further clarification.

He loves you with a perfect love.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, from disbelief to relation was a fairly enormous shift...but lately I'm realizing how deeply involved He is in even the smaller parts of my life, using them to help me in the larger ones. That won't exactly sing out with clarity, but...I had a habit I struggled with for years. I finally got around to seeing what He could do with it. :chuckle: A number of subtle changes began to impact that larger concern until it became something I could completely shoulder and address. And that, in turn, started me looking at my life in a more general sense and noting similar shifts and patterns of alteration in response to my desire to approach more perfectly and His will to have me relate more closely in my walk.

Remarkable really.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was raised in an Arminian home and taught to read before I even entered kindergarten. I was taught by my church that every little slip up could send me to hell. I used to have nightmares at night of getting tossed in the fiery pit. I remember how much like a boiling volcanic cauldron it looked in the dream. God seemed a distant wrathful God ready to strike me dead at the slightest mistake. I dreaded anything to do with His return. Then my grandmother gave me a white leather bound bible for Christmas. Thus began my life long practice of reading the bible front to back like a book. Over time it shifted my views of salvation and of God. I discovered God's grace in those pages. I discovered a loving God that answers prayers and a God that transformed me into a new creature. I discovered a God that waits to receive each one of us that is willing to accept the pardon that Jesus paid at Calvary.

Samstarrett

I was raised as an Arminian initially, then my first encounter with this site converted me to Open Theism. Eventually I changed my mind again and became a predestinarian Universalist.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My beliefs formed very slowly over time through reading of the bible. They are not likely to change. If you were to label them, Open Theist is probably the most accurate description.

miriam

My belief in Jesus as the Messiah has changed. I no longer believe that he is the Messiah, or that he is God. Nor do I believe in the doctrine of original sin or in the need for a Messiah in order to get to heaven.

miriam

Ps82

I once thought He was far away in eternity space ... now I know that He is in me.
I once thought he was unapproachable... now I know that He is my friend.
I once thought that I was too small a thing for God to care about the path of my life ... but found out that he knows my future and will reach out to me when needed.
I once believed the lie that no one could ever see God in any fashion... but found in scripture that God made a way for me to know and behold him just as he knows and beholds me.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
When I was around four years old, I heard of this guy that they threw in a cave. They dashed a big rock to keep Him there. This man wasn't batman, but He was the Man. Three days later appeared a rainbow, as that Man somehow escaped the cave. He was apparently the son of God.

Speaking of God, I use to play this game, around the age of around five years old. I would ponder about the parents of God. Those parents must have had parents, too. Ironically, since my dad's been Mormon, it turns out that they also believe that as man is, God once was, and as God is, man can become. They still believe God had parents, that those parents had parents, and so on, into a bottomless pit (Hell) of no beginning. Mormons apparently believe that there was no beginning. Religions or cults, starting early on, thousands of years ago, believe that there is no beginning, either, to everything, to this universe. For me, I was only five years old.

When I was around seven years old, I would hear people talk about how we are going to be angels when we die. I also saw a Shirley Temple film that had children up in Heaven, before they were born. The older people told them how fantastic it would be for them to visit earth for a little while in something we call life.

Around ten years old, I'd toss & turn at night sometimes, repeating the sinner's prayer to get saved, thinking, "What if I lost my salvation, or what if I didn't really get saved yet? What if I didn't say the prayer right, good enough, or what if I didn't believe hard enough, had faith enough, prayed enough, continued in a state of salvation, obedience, to keep salvation?"

Sometimes I forget that God is just, has wrath, vengeance, a hate for sin. I forget about the Old Testament, that God never changes. Other times, more importantly, I sometimes forget that God is also a God of love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, grace, compassion, as seen more often in the New Testament. I have gone back and forth in my beliefs, thoughts, feelings, patience, obedience, towards God, concerning God, and all that.

Early on, for all of my life, I'd hear people say that God is just like a man with a white beard, living in the cloud, yet living unaware of our problems, incapable of relating to our issues, our concerns, and unwilling to meet us in the middle to work out a deal for a reunion.

Most of life, I was unaware of how forgiving God really is. The older I get, the more rainbows I see, the more invisible rainbows, miracles, people, beautiful things, remarkable things, ordinary things, I'd see, the more lunalistical things I see, the more grace, mercy, kindness, compassion, that I see. I am starting to see that God doesn't give up on us. We'll give up us before He does. I am starting to see that Jesus is still alive, that God is not dead, that life is more than what I know or understand. I am starting to appreciate life more for what I do have, rather than complaining for what I don't have. I use to think that God was too far away from me to understand me. That He will only love me if I live a perfect life without sin. I am starting to appreciate relationships, with people, that I do have, instead of playing the victim, instead of worrying that I may never get married, or get a job, or get this, or get that, or what have you.

I use to think that I knew it all too, especially when it came to God, theology, starting especially when I was twelve years old, and also when I entered my three years of Bible College when I was nineteen years old. The older I get, the more I am willing to accept that I really don't know much about anything. The more I know, the more I know that I don't know, the more I don't know, the more I realize that there is more to know, the more I realize that I need to be open minded. I am more willing to keep an open mind now than I ever have been before. I am more willing to say, "I currently believe & think & feel & currently do this, & that, because of this & that, but I could be wrong about this or that, or what have you, but these are the things I believe for now because of these other things. I might be wrong. I don't know everything. But this is where I am right now." I couldn't use to be able to say those kinds of things before.

good question

I used to totally belive God didn't care about me, that He was angry with me (probably true) and didn't give a rip (not true)

insanity is supposed to be drawing the wrong conclusion from the right premise or drawing the right conclusion from the wrong premise...

anyhow... i still have MOMENTS when i feel God is angyr with me, even that he hates me... but those moments pass when i ... well, for one thing, sometimes i have to distance myself from humans.. When i am totally away from humans... usually a mile or more works best... i feel GREAT with God... like there is nothing seriously wrong between us...

This also happens when i am in the Real Presence of Christ... although Jesus... hmmm... hard to put into words.. .but it is different being in the Real Presence than being in some secluded nature setting (where, again... i feel there is nothing wrong between the Lord and me, to speak of). With Jesus... well, He shows me tons of stuff... and... hard to put into words... I think i wont try... i might mess up big time..

anyhow.. it seems in hindsight that i was not capable of changing much about myself or my life until i began to spend time alone with The Father and with Jesus in the Real Presence.. The Mass, where all of Heaven participates... has helped me ... again, more than words can say...

Martin Luther really messed up when he went away from the Church... and he apparently couldn't stand it that he might be the only one... so he dragged others with him... tragic...

That being said, there are good things about Protestant churches...

and again, some of them have the Catholics beat in some areas... like how fundamental and evangelical Christians tend to be politically conservative, whereas for some very STRANGE reason Catholics tend to be Dems... even tho the Church has condemned abortion on demand. If a woman has an abortion, she is usually told to go to the bishop for confession... aboriton is seen as a more serious sin than most others.. and those who promote abortion are automatically ex communicated... Essentially, they ex com themselves...

Anyway... i see this Catholic support of the pro-death Dems as the height of hypocricy...

Jesus said there would be tares growing alongside the wheat... :alien:

When I was around four years old, I heard of this guy that they threw in a cave. They dashed a big rock to keep Him there. This man wasn't batman, but He was the Man. Three days later appeared a rainbow, as that Man somehow escaped the cave. He was apparently the son of God.

Speaking of God, I use to play this game, around the age of around five years old. I would ponder about the parents of God. Those parents must have had parents, too. Ironically, since my dad's been Mormon, it turns out that they also believe that as man is, God once was, and as God is, man can become. They still believe God had parents, that those parents had parents, and so on, into a bottomless pit (Hell) of no beginning. Mormons apparently believe that there was no beginning. Religions or cults, starting early on, thousands of years ago, believe that there is no beginning, either, to everything, to this universe. For me, I was only five years old.

When I was around seven years old, I would hear people talk about how we are going to be angels when we die. I also saw a Shirley Temple film that had children up in Heaven, before they were born. The older people told them how fantastic it would be for them to visit earth for a little while in something we call life.

Around ten years old, I'd toss & turn at night sometimes, repeating the sinner's prayer to get saved, thinking, "What if I lost my salvation, or what if I didn't really get saved yet? What if I didn't say the prayer right, good enough, or what if I didn't believe hard enough, had faith enough, prayed enough, continued in a state of salvation, obedience, to keep salvation?"

Sometimes I forget that God is just, has wrath, vengeance, a hate for sin. I forget about the Old Testament, that God never changes. Other times, more importantly, I sometimes forget that God is also a God of love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, grace, compassion, as seen more often in the New Testament. I have gone back and forth in my beliefs, thoughts, feelings, patience, obedience, towards God, concerning God, and all that.

Early on, for all of my life, I'd hear people say that God is just like a man with a white beard, living in the cloud, yet living unaware of our problems, incapable of relating to our issues, our concerns, and unwilling to meet us in the middle to work out a deal for a reunion.

Most of life, I was unaware of how forgiving God really is. The older I get, the more rainbows I see, the more invisible rainbows, miracles, people, beautiful things, remarkable things, ordinary things, I'd see, the more lunalistical things I see, the more grace, mercy, kindness, compassion, that I see. I am starting to see that God doesn't give up on us. We'll give up us before He does. I am starting to see that Jesus is still alive, that God is not dead, that life is more than what I know or understand. I am starting to appreciate life more for what I do have, rather than complaining for what I don't have. I use to think that God was too far away from me to understand me. That He will only love me if I live a perfect life without sin. I am starting to appreciate relationships, with people, that I do have, instead of playing the victim, instead of worrying that I may never get married, or get a job, or get this, or get that, or what have you.

I use to think that I knew it all too, especially when it came to God, theology, starting especially when I was twelve years old, and also when I entered my three years of Bible College when I was nineteen years old. The older I get, the more I am willing to accept that I really don't know much about anything. The more I know, the more I know that I don't know, the more I don't know, the more I realize that there is more to know, the more I realize that I need to be open minded. I am more willing to keep an open mind now than I ever have been before. I am more willing to say, "I currently believe & think & feel & currently do this, & that, because of this & that, but I could be wrong about this or that, or what have you, but these are the things I believe for now because of these other things. I might be wrong. I don't know everything. But this is where I am right now." I couldn't use to be able to say those kinds of things before.

thanks for sharing..

i was reading some stuff written by Neitsche (spelling?) last night... and it was odd cus i thought he was full of it... but then he said something i could totally relate to... Same with Schopenhaur... a real misogynist... but it wasn't his fault because his mother was mean to him... etc... Anyway... these were godless ppl and yet i found something in common w/ them... i wish i could remember exactly what it w as.. Well, i think S said something about how women don't think as objectively as men do... That blew me away cus i had just said thesame thing on this forum some time ago... and i still agree w/ that... But anyway, i even agreed w/ Karl Marx on some things... but the diff between me and them is that i have Jesus and they didn't bother w/ Jesus.. They rejected Him. Marx's children were malnourished and starved to death. 5 of his children preceeded him in death bcaus he didn't want to take care of them, wouldn't get a job even thoug he had a degree. Then both his daughers ended their lives... Neitsche died at a very yong age and was insane... apparnetly didn't even know who he was.. .according to the ppl at the insane asylum...

Jesus saves...

I'm glad you are a Christain... Don't ever let anyone take Jesus away from you. He is Truth Incarnate... And we humans are frail and weak and no matter how strong our faith is, we can "lose it" thro sin... through impatience... etc...

There is more to Jesus than most Christians know, though...

When i am with Him in His Real Presence (found only in the Catholic Church), He shows me things... and... i can't put it into words... feel inadequate to even attempt to do that.. so i won't try... But if all pepole spend time with Jesus in His Real presence... What a difference there would be in the world... I feel sorry for those aforemetioned philosophers who never, apparently, did that...

One Eyed Jack

I used to believe in the Trinity, then I didn't, and then I did again. Fortunately, God only let me go so far in my error before He reeled me back in.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What I thought of him versus the what he says of himself in the Bible? Not much actually. I never actually thought he just let things happen, as I asked him to intercede, even when my sin seperated me from him.

keypurr

I used to be a strict traditional believer. About the age 18 I started asking questions that the pastor could not answer. The more I read, the more confused I got. I some saw that tradition was just that, tradition, not truth. The early church was made up of men just like us, they were not as smart but they were full of zest for the church. Truth got distorted.
I believed that Jesus was God. Then I realized that God cannot die. And Jesus kept praying to his God. Now we all know that there is only one God. Wow, what a can of worms that turned out to be.
At that time, I became an agnostic. That was in 1954, I felt that their was a God (Maybe).
It was then while I was in the Navy that a gentleman from the Seventh Day Adventist church taught me some of his thoughts. That got me started all over again. But it was him who I believe God sent to me, to show me by prophecy that Jesus was the annointed one from God. He show me beyond a reasonable doubt that Daniel had the time table for us to understand.
Since that time I feel that I have really been blessed by the spirit of God for he has taught me so much. After reading the Bible through about twenty times I still do not understand it all. We need to know of the culture of thoes times. It really is a lifetime study and one must not close their mind to new thoughts. We will never know it all.

The main thing to be learned is that Jesus is the son of the only God. He came to show us the way to God's presents. No one knows it all, but if your heart is in the right place, God will tell you enough to build your faith on.

God bless all thoes who keep seeking God's truth.

Yazichestvo

My mom came from a Jewish background, and my father from a Christian one. Early on, I was under the impression that Judaism and Christianity were close enough to the same things. As it became harder and harder to hold onto this misconception, I chose Judaism. During this time however, I experienced a lot of doubt. There have been times where I told myself atheism must be correct.

I always knew the Greek myths, even in preschool a bit. I later got into others. I became more interested in Pagan beliefs first by learning about the Sumerian Flood story, of Asherah who was worshiped as the consort of the Jewish God. I was fascinated by the Canaanite God El, and Arabic Allah- both cognates for a common semitic term for a supreme deity... cognates of "Elohanu" and "Elohim". All etymologies from a proto-semitic pagan pantheon. I remembered thinking of the use of the word "Elohim", plural, in Genesis. Gradually, it began to seem to me that virtually the whole world was once Polytheistic/animistic- and that the only doctrine that really opposed this idea without hope of compromise was Abrahamic monotheism. Between the two, it looks a lot more like the latter was the deviation or anomaly, not the former. Polytheism developed independently all over the world. Monotheism emerged from the levant not too long ago,

Last edited:

Krsto

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 25th, 2011 08:51 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

For much of my adult life after becoming a Christian at age 19 I thought of God as being rather hard-nosed and tended to be that way myself. No surprise there, I suppose. But as I mature I see God as less concerned about the things we get all wrapped up about and more inclusivistic. I rationalize the "hard nosedness" we see in the OT as not God being different as some see him but simply God dealing with man according to how man was - primitive. Primitive people are dealt with accordingly until such time as God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell in the hearts of men changing them into His image from glory to glory. That said, I do believe the Old Testament, on average, raised the Israelites to a level of humanity they wouldn't have known otherwise, legalism and religiosity notwithstanding. It is only in this New Covenant that God can treat men as he would like and show his merciful and compassionate side more fully and leave off the "harsher" treatments of man. I know I have a long way to go but I do believe God is building the same mercy and compassion in my inward parts as He conforms me to the image of Christ.

bybee

For much of my adult life after becoming a Christian at age 19 I thought of God as being rather hard-nosed and tended to be that way myself. No surprise there, I suppose. But as I mature I see God as less concerned about the things we get all wrapped up about and more inclusivistic. I rationalize the "hard nosedness" we see in the OT as not God being different as some see him but simply God dealing with man according to how man was - primitive. Primitive people are dealt with accordingly until such time as God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell in the hearts of men changing them into His image from glory to glory. That said, I do believe the Old Testament, on average, raised the Israelites to a level of humanity they wouldn't have known otherwise, legalism and religiosity notwithstanding. It is only in this New Covenant that God can treat men as he would like and show his merciful and compassionate side more fully and leave off the "harsher" treatments of man. I know I have a long way to go but I do believe God is building the same mercy and compassion in my inward parts as He conforms me to the image of Christ.

Amen brother

Status
Not open for further replies.