toldailytopic: The media. What do you think of the mainstream news media? Where do yo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 19th, 2010 09:24 AM

toldailytopic: The media. What do you think of the mainstream news media? Where do you get your news?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Egbert

I mostly browse BBC and NewScientist news. Often I'll just google a news topic and click on whatever comes up. (I am actually kept aware of the news largely by keeping track of blogs and forums, so I frequently go searching for the original story after learning of it elsewhere.) Occasionally I read the Wall Street Journal and a local paper.

I rarely watch television, and I think the mainstream media is places far too much emphasis on trivial stories. (I like this take on it.) These days, the pundits are typically the most entertaining features of newscasts, for all the wrong reasons.

drbrumley

toldailytopic: The media. What do you think of the mainstream news media? Where do you get your news?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I think MSM is dominated by either right or left wingers and whatever channel you watch is in line with your politics. Sad yes and the reason I can't stand most mainstream news organizations.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I watched a little of everything...read the Journal, took in magazines from/with differing editorial viewpoints. Lately I've stopped. I'm growing less and less concerned with the larger picture and more and more concerned with my neighborhood. I suspect if I pay proper attention to it I will have made my best contribution to the larger scheme of things that my notice cannot really impact.

:think: Or I might just need a vacation.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I think MSM is dominated by either right or left wingers and whatever channel you watch is in line with your politics. Sad yes and the reason I can't stand most mainstream news organizations.

can you give us a link for that?

Nick_A

No slicing and dicing is necessary for me since I know it is corrupt. That being the case, I try and dig around to try and find what is real rather than indulge in blind belief.

You can see how much MSM has become corrupt by comparing it to the mission statement of The Society of Professional Journalists. It is obvious that MSM has lost its way.

http://www.spj.org/mission.asp

The Society of Professional Journalists is dedicated to the perpetuation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty.

To ensure that the concept of self-government outlined by the U.S. Constitution remains a reality into future centuries, the American people must be well informed in order to make decisions regarding their lives, and their local and national communities.

It is the role of journalists to provide this information in an accurate, comprehensive, timely and understandable manner.

It is the mission of the Society of Professional Journalists:

— To promote this flow of information.
— To maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
— To stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
— To foster excellence among journalists.
— To inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
— To encourage diversity in journalism.
— To be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
— To encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Primarily, I get my news from the interwebs and I use...

MSNBC
Christian Science Monitor
A new site I started using a few weeks ago - The Daily Beast
Drudge Report, less often

I throw in a few other sites here and there. Drudge and Beast have lots of links to other sites so I also get to other sites through those.

I think most networks are biased one way or the other. I like to read from both sides and hopefully find the truth somewhere in the middle.

I also worry that the MSM is influenced by corporate and political factors, which prevents us from getting the whole story. I like to read news from non-MSM sources but I don't search those out as much as I should.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. :up:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I get my news from the web. "News" on TV is the worst kind of propaganda and it drives me bonkers trying to sit through even ten seconds of it.

For updates I read:

TNR
The Atlantic
National Review
Huff Post
American Conservative
The Daily Beast
Slate
Salon
Disinfo
Counterpunch
MotherJones

And probably others, but that's a typical round up.

nicholsmom

The media. What do you think of the mainstream news media?
I hope I don't get an infraction for saying that it's crap.

Where do you get your news?
I get headlines from whatever radio program I happen to be listening to - all conservative for the most part. But then I get the news by searching for decent sources on the web - I use the headlines I heard on the radio to find the rest of the story from a variety of sources on the net.

Of course, sometimes it's sufficient to just listen - whole speeches broadcast, for instance.

MrRadish

Not that any of our news sources in the UK are anywhere near perfect (especially a lot of the newspapers) but I must say I've always American TV news quite difficult to watch. A lot of it seems incredibly sensationalised, one-sided, and soundbite-oriented, without tending to go into much detail about facts. It seems very obviously commercial when compared with, say, BBC news.

That said, the BBC has its problems (like struggling so hard for neutrality that they end up accidentally being quite misleading) as do the other news channels, in their way.

I have to admit I don't watch the news much any more. I occasionally read the Guardian or the Independent. The Daily Mail is an absolutely loathsome newspaper, filled with horribly distorted stories, a deeply worrying propensity to always show foreign people as 'bad' in some way, and of course the odd bald-faced lie thrown in for good measure. The Daily Express is the same, but with a Princess Diana fixation.

It really did upset me around election time when newspapers on both sides of the spectrum openly supported particular parties and encouraged their readers to follow suit. The information industry should be about empowerment of the readers to decide for themselves, not pushing the political goals of a tiny group of plutocrats. Which is why Murdoch donating a huge sum of money to the Republican Party recently was so infurating.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
I get my news from the web. "News" on TV is the worst kind of propaganda and it drives me bonkers trying to sit through even ten seconds of it.

For updates I read:

TNR
The Atlantic
National Review
Huff Post
American Conservative
The Daily Beast
Slate
Salon
Disinfo
Counterpunch
MotherJones

And probably others, but that's a typical round up.

You forgot The Daily Worker.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
When referring to the mainstream media, the term "prostitute media" flowed from these conservative Christian lips on many occasions. Now that the leftists no long own and control all forms of media, I only refer to propaganda outlets such as ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC (and a few others) as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.