toldailytopic: Soft tissue found in dinosaur bones: what is the significance?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 30th, 2012 10:49 AM

050324_trex_softtissue_hlg10a.hlarge.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

oatmeal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 30th, 2012 10:49 AM

050324_trex_softtissue_hlg10a.hlarge.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nicely aged, ready for the grill!

Granite

Hall of Fame
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/dinosaur.html

This is one of the best over-all discussions of the topic I've found.

What's the significance of the find? Well, it may shed light on dinosaurs, their development, and how they actually lived and evolved. It's a serendipitous discovery, and a remarkable scientific achievement. And the people actually involved in the find are aghast that creationists consistently misrepresent it.

PureX

True to the human propensity for irrationality, those who don't believe in science will use this scientific discovery to disclaim the voracity of science so as to promote their non-scientific view of reality.

Those who respect science will simply wait to see what can be learned from this surprising new bit of information.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
True to the human propensity for irrationality, those who don't believe in science will use this scientific discovery to disclaim the voracity of science so as to promote their non-scientific view of reality.
Okay, am I nuts or is "believing in science" not the most unscientific thing I've heard of? Why do you believe in science? Science doesn't believe in science!
Those who respect science will simply wait to see what can be learned from this surprising new bit of information.
Agreed. That's a very scientific position to take. I notice you're dismissing things before they're even presented though. For example, what if those that would use this scientific discovery to disclaim the voracity of science so as to promote their non-scientific view of reality are actually right? You've already dismissed any claim of theirs, even as you proposing waiting for science to illuminate it. Then science would have failed you, huh? Or, rather, you would have failed science. That wouldn't be very scientific.

Maybe you should keep an open mind or something.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Okay, am I nuts or is "believing in science" not the most unscientific thing I've heard of?

You're only giving us two choices?:chuckle:

Why do you believe in science? Science doesn't believe in science!

Ummmmm...what?

For example, what if those that would use this scientific discovery to disclaim the voracity of science so as to promote their non-scientific view of reality are actually right?

What exactly are you going for here? Those involved in the discovery and the study of the tissue dismiss outright any creationist attempt to misrepresent or hijack the data.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
You're only giving us two choices?:chuckle:
Dude, one of them is "I'm nuts". What more do you want from me? Sheesh.
Ummmmm...what?
Maybe PureX will get it.
What exactly are you going for here? Those involved in the discovery and the study of the tissue dismiss outright any creationist attempt to misrepresent or hijack the data.
Okay. But what if they're right? PureX seems to be trying to have faith in science to answer questions while simultaneously dismissing some of the possible answers ahead of time. That seems pretty contradictory to me.

That's like me saying I'm going to pray to God for the correct answer to this algebra problem I'm working on, that I have complete faith in His ability to answer correctly, His willingness to do so and that the answer definitely isn't seven.

That be kinda dumb. Because the answer could be seven. I dunno, obviously, because I haven't solved the problem or I wouldn't be praying about it in the first place. The only reason I can think to do that would be to attack the validity of the answer being seven. And even then that's a pretty darned shaky example of appeal to authority, I think, considering I've no idea yet what position the authority in question has taken on the issue.

I certainly wouldn't be actually praying for an answer I don't have and be so sure it wasn't seven. That'd be irrational. So maybe I'm questioning PureX's rationality.

Lon

... the people actually involved in the find are aghast that creationists consistently misrepresent it.

More like annoyed. The only correction I'd make to her statement is that I'd expect science and revelation to coincide. Faith doesn't require the leap to be deaf and dumb as well as blind.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, they're holding fast to that assumption.

Of course, that means they have to find some way to account for soft tissue to survive for 68 million years with being totally degraded, but that's what makes science fun, right? :banana:

If it doesn't work, make it work!! :juggle:

PureX

You've already dismissed any claim of theirs, even as you proposing waiting for science to illuminate it. Then science would have failed you, huh? Or, rather, you would have failed science. That wouldn't be very scientific.

Maybe you should keep an open mind or something.
I didn't disclaim anyone's proposition. I was merely pointing out the irrationality of using a scientific discovery to disclaim a scientific theory that one has chosen not to believe in the first place by rejecting the scientific process that proposed it. It's you who has assumed that irrationality discredits it's own propositions. Which it does.

I'm afraid your 'clever turnabout' wasn't all that clever because you ended up verifying the inherent lack of credibility of such irrational creationist sophistry.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Anybody want to answer how the soft tissue can survive after 100 million years. 65 million is the cutoff date, not the median date.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Anybody want to answer how the soft tissue can survive after 100 million years. 65 million is the cutoff date, not the median date.

How about looking into the matter and seeing what the scientists involved have to say? It won't take you very long.